2014 Corolla Altis - Technical, Features & Use

Kklee

In general. The seat can feel the vibration when red light. Not very strong vibration. Just that when stationary not completely silent. When go to P is better.

Is it normal?

↡ Advertisement

Hi guys.

Just want to ask if its normal for 2014 Toyota Altis to have slight vibration while idle in D gear?

Some say CVT will have slight vibration is it true?

Assume your baseline is with respect to your own car when it was new, i would try the following one at a time

- air con off vs on

- monitor the rpm when idling at D. Try to gently rev the engine to 800 to 1k rpm to see any diff

For latter , somehow my car idling rpm was around 600 rpm initially when it felt like on the edge of stalling the engine when idling n some mild vibration was felt. After service they probably adjusted the idling rpm n less / no vibration.

Hi, I notice Altis steering rack giving out weird sound when turning, especially when idiling before moving, such as when reversing. I tested 3 Altis all having the same sounds. Any owner find similar and anyone feedback to BM?

Mine has a faint "wee wee" sound when i turn the steering wheel quickly when reverse park or u turn. Normal turn at corner, no noise.

Eh...I can be night rider, but I need cruise control.

What makes you think I will go for EV when I have already chosen PFI over DI. [laugh]

Choice will change as price and supply of old n new technologies change.

Assume your baseline is with respect to your own car when it was new, i would try the following one at a time

- air con off vs on

- monitor the rpm when idling at D. Try to gently rev the engine to 800 to 1k rpm to see any diff

For latter , somehow my car idling rpm was around 600 rpm initially when it felt like on the edge of stalling the engine when idling n some mild vibration was felt. After service they probably adjusted the idling rpm n less / no vibration.

Mine has a faint "wee wee" sound when i turn the steering wheel quickly when reverse park or u turn. Normal turn at corner, no noise.

Aircon off RPM is around 600. On is 800 rpm. On and Off does not see any difference in vibration.

I dont service there liao recently but still have extended warranty till 2020. I suspect also the new 5w30 i use. But dont know is it psychological also as recently i dont service at BM anymore i will tend to notice those small faults that in the past i dont bother.

Car is at 54000km

Vibration is so subtle can only feel when REALLY pay attention to it. Otherwise all good. Thats why want to check with bros here if anyone also have the same issue

Edited by Joshua7788

Aircon off RPM is around 600. On is 800 rpm. On and Off does not see any difference in vibration.

I dont service there liao recently but still have extended warranty till 2020. I suspect also the new 5w30 i use. But dont know is it psychological also as recently i dont service at BM anymore i will tend to notice those small faults that in the past i dont bother.

Car is at 54000km

Vibration is so subtle can only feel when REALLY pay attention to it. Otherwise all good. Thats why want to check with bros here if anyone also have the same issue ð I guess if it worsen then i will go back to AD ba..

I service at BM n never tried different grade engine oil. Others may able to comment.

For me so far i can accept most "shortcomings" of this car (eg road noise) but i am annoyed by the paint work which is easy to damage. I drove my last vitara into a pole n the paint is still there when i clean the damaged panel with wax. On my Altis i see the shiny metal on a few panels already (my car is grey color n i suppose paint damages show easier)

I service at BM n never tried different grade engine oil. Others may able to comment.

For me so far i can accept most "shortcomings" of this car (eg road noise) but i am annoyed by the paint work which is easy to damage. I drove my last vitara into a pole n the paint is still there when i clean the damaged panel with wax. On my Altis i see the shiny metal on a few panels already (my car is grey color n i suppose paint damages show easier)

Haha yes. The paint work and the metal is really softer compare to other make. My previous Hyundai Avante drive and touch the car park gantry many times but no dent or whatsoever. Altis i drove and touch the gantry once got a dent and deep scratch haha. make me change my driving habit and stay clear of gantry.

Other than that this car not bad la. I like the drive feels very smooth even after 1 year plus

Haha yes. The paint work and the metal is really softer compare to other make. My previous Hyundai Avante drive and touch the car park gantry many times but no dent or whatsoever. Altis i drove and touch the gantry once got a dent and deep scratch haha. make me change my driving habit and stay clear of gantry.

Other than that this car not bad la. I like the drive feels very smooth even after 1 year plus

Softer metal isn't all bad. It means that it will crumple more easily, absorbing more kinetic energy that would otherwise be delivered to you in a major crash.

Unfortunately, that means more heart pain and more $$ to repair damage in minor crashes where the car isn't a total write-off...

• Praise 1

I suppose anyhow you should not drive into the gantry , may it damage your car or not - you will end up paying for damaged gantry otherwise ;)

so my lesson learnt is to choose colors that can hide scratches better like silver or white when I buy my next car , if by then car ownership still makes sense to me (retirement around that time liao). :)

yes, I suppose is good within certain range of hardness-softness. Too soft means no crumple zone either. Too hard the occupants end up with internal injury.

Softer metal isn't all bad. It means that it will crumple more easily, absorbing more kinetic energy that would otherwise be delivered to you in a major crash.

Unfortunately, that means more heart pain and more $$ to repair damage in minor crashes where the car isn't a total write-off...

• Praise 1

The vibration got worst so went to Hanip Automobiles. Changed spark plug and also replaced engine oil. Apparently the cheap oil i use is causing the rough acceleration and spark plug causing loss of power.

After servicing by Hanip himself, no more rough idle and engine as smooth as silk. Lesson learnt, cheap service doesn't mean good.  [laugh]

• Praise 2

The vibration got worst so went to Hanip Automobiles. Changed spark plug and also replaced engine oil. Apparently the cheap oil i use is causing the rough acceleration and spark plug causing loss of power.

After servicing by Hanip himself, no more rough idle and engine as smooth as silk. Lesson learnt, cheap service doesn't mean good.  [laugh]

U always go JB/Malaysia is it ?

Not really leh. Only went once for past 6 months.

Why leh??

Excessive idle can exhaust engine oil quickly.

After servicing by Hanip himself, no more rough idle and engine as smooth as silk. Lesson learnt, cheap service doesn't mean good. [laugh]

Good to know you solved the problem. Happy New Year!

Side question. I only see marking like 5W40 and is there info on how much mileage or months the viscosity will be maintained?

Edited by ConnorMcLeod

Side question. I only see marking like 5W40 and is there info on how much mileage or months the viscosity will be maintained?

A lot of factors e.g usage pattern, driving style, car condition, etc.

Usual is for normal service 10k or 6 months or severe service 5k or 3 months.

I would say most in SG like to think they are normal service.

Experience from my previous car,   I set mine to be about 6000 km.

This could likely increase because my usage pattern change significantly this year.

Which is why using a good engine oil is important.

If a normal engine oil is good for 6000-7000km, a better quality engine oil with enhanced additive pack would be able to last 10,000km.

Hi, just collected my new elegance model yesterday, anyone know the actual screen size of the Toyota telematics system? I want to upgrade to pioneer 9150bt, will it be the same screen size as stock Toyota? Seems kinda small if it's 7 inch.

How to auto unlock door when I shift to P gear?

Also I was given free ceramic coating named as platinum coating, is it good or should I go do outside for a diamond 9h coating?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by IvanWenXiong
  • Praise 1

After servicing by Hanip himself, no more rough idle and engine as smooth as silk. Lesson learnt, cheap service doesn't mean good. [laugh]

What oil was that?

Hi All, for Elegance (means 17" rim), the original tire (Michelin PIlot 3) which is good from my perspective. What other tires fits this rim and has good grip in wet weather and quiet (if these are opposing criteria then good grip is priority). Thanks.

↡ Advertisement