2014 Corolla Altis - Technical, Features & Use

Kklee

Just to share.

Over the last 2 weeks,  when the vehicle have sufficiently warmed up,  I noticed that my coolant temperature has deviated from the usual 90 degreesC range to 95 degreesC range whenever the car was in crawling traffic even before dawn.

The coolant overflow reservoir level was good.  The other parts of the cooling system that I understand were also visually ok.  Then I noticed the part of the radiator below the radiator cap where it was slightly white which was actually quite insignificant, or so I thought. 

When I finally had time to remove the radiator cap - when i was turning it, I could feel the "Resistance" of stuck debris and as it was unscrewed,  the caked up dry coolant crumbled.

After cleaning up, with distilled water, nitrile glove and blue shop towel,  I screw back the radiator cap.  My short testing, on a hot day, indicated that the problem seems to have gone away and the temperature has returned to the usual 90 degreesC range.

While the problem has seem to gone away, I believed that the radiator cap might have been compromised - it has been more than 5 years.  So I would likely change it and buy another for spare.

So my suggestion would be,  while visually the radiator cap looks ok, if you have not, ever, unscrew the radiator cap before, please have a go at it to check its functionality.  I recall reading from the internet that there is even a schedule of change for it. 

As I typed this, I start to think should I change it to a TRD radiator cap with higher pressure. 😎

Any one any experience on the TRD Radiator cap? 

Thank you for taking time to read this - yeah, I got to admit a bit long winded. 

Edited by Kklee
  • Praise 2

36 minutes ago, Memphisb said:

hi does anyone have altis WS to recommend for car service, 100 km

preferably in west area. 

I think any ws u walk in would be able to service an altis.🤣

Hi, not sure if anyone asked before the following. I find the reflection (e.g. sun) on glossy surface around the gearshift very distracting and glaring. I am using a micro fibre towel but it looks messy. Is there in the market matt finish stickers with the was gear markers available? wonder if it is good enough to use a cut out from a matt translucent el cheapo folder for this purpose (and glue on the panel).

My MIL uses a film which is matte to cover it..

It always makes me compare, if this is what is the worst that you can get from a Corolla, you should not be surprised why people still buy it, despite the seeming lack of value..

Looking at some of the other threads, where you see so many more more posts of things going wrong, the quietness of this thread is a testimony to the car.

20 hours ago, therock said:

My MIL uses a film which is matte to cover it..

It always makes me compare, if this is what is the worst that you can get from a Corolla, you should not be surprised why people still buy it, despite the seeming lack of value..

Looking at some of the other threads, where you see so many more more posts of things going wrong, the quietness of this thread is a testimony to the car.

Thanks. Is it the sort that us for wrapping book? Am thinking this is the easiest way so long able to cut to fit well. 

In fact I also find the chrome colored parts reflection on the side window annoying. But then thats me. 

20 minutes ago, ConnorMcLeod said:

Thanks. Is it the sort that us for wrapping book? Am thinking this is the easiest way so long able to cut to fit well. 

In fact I also find the chrome colored parts reflection on the side window annoying. But then thats me. 

Maybe you can go to those accessories shop to do?

• Praise 1

On 2/20/2020 at 1:12 PM, Kklee said:

Just to share.

Over the last 2 weeks,  when the vehicle have sufficiently warmed up,  I noticed that my coolant temperature has deviated from the usual 90 degreesC range to 95 degreesC range whenever the car was in crawling traffic even before dawn.

The coolant overflow reservoir level was good.  The other parts of the cooling system that I understand were also visually ok.  Then I noticed the part of the radiator below the radiator cap where it was slightly white which was actually quite insignificant, or so I thought. 

When I finally had time to remove the radiator cap - when i was turning it, I could feel the "Resistance" of stuck debris and as it was unscrewed,  the caked up dry coolant crumbled.

After cleaning up, with distilled water, nitrile glove and blue shop towel,  I screw back the radiator cap.  My short testing, on a hot day, indicated that the problem seems to have gone away and the temperature has returned to the usual 90 degreesC range.

While the problem has seem to gone away, I believed that the radiator cap might have been compromised - it has been more than 5 years.  So I would likely change it and buy another for spare.

So my suggestion would be,  while visually the radiator cap looks ok, if you have not, ever, unscrew the radiator cap before, please have a go at it to check its functionality.  I recall reading from the internet that there is even a schedule of change for it. 

As I typed this, I start to think should I change it to a TRD radiator cap with higher pressure. 😎

Any one any experience on the TRD Radiator cap? 

Thank you for taking time to read this - yeah, I got to admit a bit long winded. 

Just to update. 
The radiator cap was changed.  The issue is still there.
Changed to a good quality EO in between normal 10k service interval sort of help.
At the moment, the conclusion likely to be coolant.  
Also,  stockist do sell high pressure radiator cap.  

1 hour ago, ConnorMcLeod said:

My original plastic film is still there.  😅

Maybe I DIY come "carbon fibre" trimmings.

I recall there is a whatsapp group or something.  How to join huh. 
Sorry, a bit late ! 
I need information on a good and reliable workshop to do preventive maintenance. 😀
Any recommendations can reply here or PM.

On 3/21/2020 at 8:34 PM, Kklee said:

My original plastic film is still there.  😅

Maybe I DIY come "carbon fibre" trimmings.

My SE removed everything for me. The only thing left is something that looks like a sticky tape mark on the black plastic on both rear view mirrors, which until today I cannot remove by rubbing it (thus not just glue, dunno what it is).

23 hours ago, ConnorMcLeod said:

My SE removed everything for me. The only thing left is something that looks like a sticky tape mark on the black plastic on both rear view mirrors, which until today I cannot remove by rubbing it (thus not just glue, dunno what it is).

Just leave it.   Maybe my SE never do work. The plastic film at bottom of the door panel still there ! 

On 3/31/2020 at 8:09 PM, Kklee said:

Just leave it.   Maybe my SE never do work. The plastic film at bottom of the door panel still there ! 

Leave for you enjoy the 'unboxing' mah...

Neutral Newbie

Sorry i would need to crash onto this thread for my 2008 Altis.

Anyone know how can i get the Navi to work? Am I lacking hardware/software? 

Appreciate any advice. 🙂

↡ Advertisement