RIP Mr Lee Kuan Yew (Wear White/Black This Sunday?)

Thaiyotakamli

I am also surprise CNN website is giving a non American leader passing a front page coverage for last few hours.

not too surprise. Americans may critise him for human right issues...but every U.S. presidents invited him to the White House for talks soon after they get into power....cos they want to know about Asia and how US should position themselves to deal with larger Asian countries like China, etc. The 'best' person to ask would be LKY. likewise, when China want to know how to deal with the West, they talk to LKY.

Turbocharged

This is what I posted on behalf of my client - and it is what I would like too repeat here...

Today we say goodbye. Goodbye and good journey to a man that has been a leader and an inspiration. A man that has achieved much, has inspired us to be all that we can be.

As the honourable Mr. Lee Kuan Yew leaves us, we’d like to take a moment to express our condolences to his close friends and family.

As much as he was a leader, Mr. Lee was also a father, a brother, a friend and a confidante. And it is to those that will miss him most that we would like to send our positive wishes of love and support today.

And to Mr. Lee – may you have a sweet odyssey into the unknown, you have earned it!

I would also like to add....what a disappointment it is to me personally to see how Kenneth J is behaving, and the comments he is making. They seem somehow petty and petulant, more befitting of a 5 year old than someone seeking public office.

• Praise 3

There's the Sun Yat Sen museum (国父纪念堂) in Taiwan.. Will we have ours too?

We should have and I'm sure we will have 1

Edited by Byteslurve
  • Praise 1

I would also like to add....what a disappointment it is to me personally to see how Kenneth J is behaving, and the comments he is making. They seem somehow petty and petulant, more befitting of a 5 year old than someone seeking public office.

I give him some leeway, for the fact that his father was destroyed by Lee.

Anyway, what did he say ?

There's the Sun Yat Sen museum (国父纪念堂) in Taiwan.. Will we have ours too?

If we have one, hope it includes the Old Guard as well and not just him alone. [thumbsup]

• Praise 2

“Lady Thatcher once said that there was no Prime Minister she admired more than Mr Lee for ‘the strength of his convictions, the clarity of his views, the directness of his speech and his vision of the way ahead’. His place in history is assured, as a leader and as one of the modern world's foremost statesmen.”

Why David demoted her? Isn't she a Baroness?

• Praise 1

thanks for politicising this thread, or were u not trying to do so? hmm...

i forgot if u r a singaporean or not?

Edited by Duckduck
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

not too surprise. Americans may critise him for human right issues...but every U.S. presidents invited him to the White House for talks soon after they get into power....cos they want to know about Asia and how US should position themselves to deal with larger Asian countries like China, etc. The 'best' person to ask would be LKY. likewise, when China want to know how to deal with the West, they talk to LKY.

True.. He's first-and-foremost, a chinese by race, brought up in an asian culture, but western educated. Thus he can give insight into both culture.

To a lesser extent, this privilege also extent to most of us Singaporeans. We're the only Asian nation where the education is taught from young in English, follows UK syllabus (O and A levels), but still have the Asian culture in us. This have given us an edge over other people in the region.

Edited by Shull
  • Praise 2

Turbocharged

thanks for politicising this thread, or were u not trying to do so? hmm...

i forgot if u r a singaporean or not?

Don't mean to politicise...

I don't think now is the time for "politics" - which is what has disappointed me.

Now is the time to think of those left behind, not to score points from others.

As we mourn his passing, we must also celebrate his life.

One of his stylo milo pic I saw on the net.

11081341_961632660527613_872675794377339

The other leader come close is Nelson Mandela.

redwire-singapore-lee-kuan-yew-with-wife

ST_20140615_MZWE15MAIN_409846e.jpg

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

I am also surprise CNN website is giving a non American leader passing a front page coverage for last few hours.

All major news channel (CNN, BBC, AFP, Reuters, Al Jazzera, CCTV) have some form of coverage in their front page.