Accident claim lawyer got call u?

Imamiah

Hi guys

I face the following scenario. My friends told me it is weird and better let the workshop do the claiming.

I was hit by a van from behind. I was stationary at traffic light when it is red. Sent my car to workshop for repairs and was advised that law firm of insurance company will contact me with regards to claim for doctor visits (anyway I see doc for 1 day MC only - $20+). The law firm contacted me and I furnished the receipts and MC. That was in May 2014 last year.

Now, law firm calls back and says that the judge (dont know simi judge) says that in order to expedite the claims, the other party will pay 90% while I foot my own 10% (huh? SMLJ, must I die from the accident then the other party will pay 100%?). Anyway, to cut the long story short. I refused to accept the explanation of 'expediting' the claims.

My question - has any bros here deal directly with the lawyers on such matters? Or will workshop settle for you?

And also, if I settle with the 90/10, will this translate to me admitting that I was 10% at fault in the first place and will this affect my car repair claims also (meaning also become 90/10, then NCD kana affected)?

Can any kind souls help me out here?

↡ Advertisement

Hi guys

I face the following scenario. My friends told me it is weird and better let the workshop do the claiming.

I was hit by a van from behind. I was stationary at traffic light when it is red. Sent my car to workshop for repairs and was advised that law firm of insurance company will contact me with regards to claim for doctor visits (anyway I see doc for 1 day MC only - $20+). The law firm contacted me and I furnished the receipts and MC. That was in May 2014 last year.

Now, law firm calls back and says that the judge (dont know simi judge) says that in order to expedite the claims, the other party will pay 90% while I foot my own 10% (huh? SMLJ, must I die from the accident then the other party will pay 100%?). Anyway, to cut the long story short. I refused to accept the explanation of 'expediting' the claims.

My question - has any bros here deal directly with the lawyers on such matters? Or will workshop settle for you?

And also, if I settle with the 90/10, will this translate to me admitting that I was 10% at fault in the first place and will this affect my car repair claims also (meaning also become 90/10, then NCD kana affected)?

Hi there,

1. NCD is not affected

2. If u are hit at rear (i.e. did not change lane), then your claim is 100%. No need to bear the 10% yourself. My guess is that the other insurance company is BS u or that the law firm is trying to makan u. Or probably they mean instead of full claim amount, the other insurer is offering 90%. E.g. u claim $1,000 but they offered to pay $900. Though u claim medical fee of $20+ but the law firm is claiming for you also on general damages (amt depend on what type of injury u suffered).

3. i suggest you ask the law firm to show you the breakdown for how much they are claiming (on behalf of you), then u make further decision.

Bro,

If you already report to your own insurance about it, let the company settle the matter. If the law firm contacts you just call you insurance company for advice or forward the contact to your insurer.

• Praise 1

Thanks guys. I also feel that why my insurer's lawyer behavior so fishy.

Think I will write to them via email and put down black n white. wait i gong gong go and mistakenly take up the 10% blame. Another NCD not affected... principal matters!

Anyway, when I told my friends my insurer is A##.... they went no wonder lah [sweatdrop][sweatdrop][sweatdrop]

Think I will write to them via email and put down black n white. wait i gong gong go and mistakenly take up the 10% blame. Another NCD not affected... principal matters!

Anyway, when I told my friends my insurer is A##.... they went no wonder lah [sweatdrop][sweatdrop][sweatdrop]

A#G or A#A?

The significant fact which you have to consider when accepting the 10% liability is your excess which you have to foot first before the amount beyond the excess is covered by your insurer.

Do you really want to pay even a $ when it was no fault of yours to be waiting at the traffic junction and got hit by another careless motorist?

Surely I will not be willing and therefore, will never accept any liability for the accident purely caused by another.

T/fore, my advice : Don't accept any liability unless you are prepared for the unforeseen.

Hi guys

Best to avoid communicating directly to them and more so in writing. If need be, just deny all liabilities and refer them to your insurer.

A#G or A#A?

Be careful here...

A#A got 2 here wor... although 1 of time may not be dealing with car insurance. [lipsrsealed]

Supercharged

Actually is lawyer allow to call the insured when the insurance company is the one handling the claims?

The decision to accept how many % of the liability should be decided by the insurance company isn't it?

Actually is lawyer allow to call the insured when the insurance company is the one handling the claims?

The decision to accept how many % of the liability should be decided by the insurance company isn't it?

Ya loh. That's what I thought so too.

I managed to ask 2 friends who were banged from behind. Their insurer handled everything. No communication to law firm.

At this current moment, emails to the pariah law firm's official email contact is undeliverable and bouncing back.... what the????

The significant fact which you have to consider when accepting the 10% liability is your excess which you have to foot first before the amount beyond the excess is covered by your insurer.

Do you really want to pay even a $ when it was no fault of yours to be waiting at the traffic junction and got hit by another careless motorist?

Surely I will not be willing and therefore, will never accept any liability for the accident purely caused by another.

T/fore, my advice : Don't accept any liability unless you are prepared for the unforeseen.

Best to avoid communicating directly to them and more so in writing. If need be, just deny all liabilities and refer them to your insurer.

Thanks for reminding me bro. If accept liability, got to ownself pay excess / do OD claims first yah? Then years later, the insurer will reimburse us.

Ya loh. That's what I thought so too.

I managed to ask 2 friends who were banged from behind. Their insurer handled everything. No communication to law firm.

At this current moment, emails to the pariah law firm's official email contact is undeliverable and bouncing back.... what the????

Your 2 friends....

Kanna bang from behind is no joke [lipsrsealed][grin]

Hi guys

IMHO

Now insurance will NEVER pay 100%. even you die also dun have. According to them, max payment is 80%-90%. So it is the norm. I was sent a copy of the BOLA scenarios by one of the insurance firm.

If it is indicated by the judge, no point in arguing for your 10%, 99% you wont get it.

I believe your workshop will not be going after you for the 10% as they would had calculated and worse come to worse they are just earning less. They will rather have your service again then to jeopardize their own biz.

NCD is intact as long as you claim at least 80%.

Your facts not very clear leh...

Firstly you claim from your insurance or you appoint workshop to claim from the other motorist/his insurer? Seems to me like it's the 2nd scenario. And it seems like you also got personal injury claim. So your workshop lawyer - meaning YOUR lawyer - is now contacting you to discuss conduct of the case. And you don't want to talk to him...?? [rolleyes]

And without knowing the full facts - (eg, what really is your actual claim...) I would venture that 90% of your total claim may be a fair amount for a speedy settlement. After all, your workshop may well have padded your claim... :D Otherwise you may always go to court and fight your claim!

↡ Advertisement