Amos Yee, 17 yr old who think he's cool by insulting LKY!

D3badge

Our govt is trying to keep influence over the media (for better or worse) to prevent external influences from taking over our media which is inevitable in a free economy.

It's one thing that is not free in SG and will always remain so.

I refer you to Rupert Murdoch.

This man was not happy with the liberal views and news reporting in USA. Mainly Ted Turner's CNN.

I used to think Fox news was like that due to its viewer population. But no. Fox news is a deliberate creation of Rupert Murdoch to create a news channel featuring Right wing/conservative news reporting (DELIBERATE) to reflect his own views of that being generally right wing and a strong conservative.

In UK, the Murdoch papers will publicly back a certain candidate for the elections. And with the full weight of his press machine influencing the elections, isn't it obvious that every PM of the UK had to have his implicit backing before they can take office? And they can never risk turning on him, cos he can destroy them when election time comes along.

He destroyed john major in the early 1990s with his press machine going against him. Even though prior to that, Murdoch was a strong backer of the Tory party.

This man tried to go into China via HK in the late 90s to 2000s but was setback due to the strong China central control on media/newspaper.

It is true, what you just described. It is also true that in many of these countries, there is also (usually) another anti-Murdoch (liberal) newspaper or broadcaster that will sing a different tune, so people may be reading what they want but there will be debates all the time and it can sway public opinions. I always think more debates is better than no debate. It will be dangerous if a Murdoch is allowed to control and shape public opinions because he controls all the MSM in town.

So Singapore cannot survive a freer press as it will end up being controlled by foreigners with ulterior motives? I don't buy that. Luckily I can read my news on the internet to balance my daily ST reading.

I'm very sure they can if they reallly want to. imo, they are closing one eye for us.

MSM of cos cannot say.

They can't because Singapore needs free flow of information to survive as a global city, we are not China with a deep talent pool anchored by a large population, and supported by a large domestic economy. Even China is finding it hard. The govt can influence public opinion through MSM but they cannot filter views and opinions on the internet, think North Korea in the extreme.

In modern world, information and knowledge is power.

Edited by Voodooman
↡ Advertisement

It is true, what you just described. It is also true that in many of these countries, there is also (usually) another anti-Murdoch (liberal) newspaper or broadcaster that will sing a different tune, so people may be reading what they want but there will be debates all the time and it can sway public opinions. I always think more debates is better than no debate. It will be dangerous if a Murdoch is allowed to control and shape public opinions because he controls all the MSM in town.

So Singapore cannot survive a freer press as it will end up being controlled by foreigners with ulterior motives? I don't buy that. Luckily I can read my news on the internet to balance my daily ST reading.

They can't because Singapore needs free flow of information to survive as a global city, we are not China with a deep talent pool anchored by a large population, and supported by a large domestic economy. Even China is finding it hard. The govt can influence public opinion through MSM but they cannot filter views and opinions on the internet, think North Korea in the extreme.

In modern world, information and knowledge is power.

We can agree to disagree.

I'm just explaining why i think the state control over the media will not change for the forseeable future.

Ultimately information transmitted via the news is not fact. It's an interpretation of events.

The journalists will always say they are self policing, but we know that's utter bull.

A simple fact is errorneous reporting. Haha when they publish something always put big big But when they get corrected for wrong facts, it's just a small article maybe like 2 x 2 cm space maximum. [laugh]

• Praise 2

We make or form judgement base on our education level, what we see/read/hear, our knowledge and experience, the younger generation can claim they know best but base on how they derive their opinions from.

I have to say thing have changed compared to my generation where young people basically bo chap about politics, the young (16-18) I spoke to recently have their own opinions, it is encouraging that they are more concern and aware, they read from alternate source. my only hope is they can start to see things from various angles, balance their view and come to a decision for them to voice out when they turn 21 to vote.

After which hopefully more will come forward to serve and make constructive changes, people can complain everything non stop but when asked who and how, everyone point to the million dollars ministers (yah like wait for durian to drop lor).

For a relatively younger country, stability and maturity are the utmost important. Who can guarantee that these won't be affected if they open and let go too fast,不怕一万,只怕万一!

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Ultimately information transmitted via the news is not fact. It's an interpretation of events.

The journalists will always say they are self policing, but we know that's utter bull. [laugh]

You better have some hard evidence to back this up. Otherwise your claims are utter bull as well. Quoting CNN and Murdoch isn't sufficient to make such a sweeping claim

We can agree to disagree.

I'm just explaining why i think the state control over the media will not change for the forseeable future.

The journalists will always say they are self policing, but we know that's utter bull.

A simple fact is errorneous reporting. Haha when they publish something always put big big But when they get corrected for wrong facts, it's just a small article maybe like 2 x 2 cm space maximum. [laugh]

Can't agree to that as BS is just BS and we can see and smell it.

My point is if we are not comfortable allowing a rich Murdoch to control all our MSM (assuming he is alocal), why are we so comfortable to allow another party to have that type of power? Because we have no choice, not because we think it is the best way forward.

Edited by Voodooman

You better have some hard evidence to back this up. Otherwise your claims are utter bull as well. Quoting CNN and Murdoch isn't sufficient to make such a sweeping claim

OK. Fair enough. Just take it as bull. [nod]

It's just my personal assessment of the Western media scene.

With globalisation and consolidation of most industries into bigger conglomerates, this is inevitable.

Unfortunately with media, control of information dissemination is also a form of power which can be exercised by the people at the top.

It's an exploitation that i think has already happened.

Can't agree to that as BS is just BS and we can see and smell it.

My point is if we are not comfortable allowing a rich Murdoch to control all our MSM (assuming he is alocal), why are we so comfortable to allow another party to have that type of power? Because we have no choice, not because we think it is the best way forward.

I guess because I can read alternative sources. It's not that big a deal to me.

Even forums like this let people say what they truly think (or may be lying anyway).

If i was living in china, i would feel oppressed.

Turbocharged

Someone shared this in my newsfeed

FB_IMG_1428841200631.jpg

Suddenly it became clear...

Not sure if this photo is taken before or after the "incident".

Edited by Pocus

hmmm...... sounds very familiar [rolleyes]

I had *far* more sympathy for that case, because *that* guy never went on an offensive tirade against a recently deceased statesman in the midst of a National mourning period.

*That* guy never invited anyone to "dance" with him either. He was far more a sympathetic victim than this little turd.

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 3

Turbocharged

OK. Fair enough. Just take it as bull. [nod]

It's just my personal assessment of the Western media scene.

With globalisation and consolidation of most industries into bigger conglomerates, this is inevitable.

Unfortunately with media, control of information dissemination is also a form of power which can be exercised by the people at the top.

It's an exploitation that i think has already happened.

News are made up of facts and opinions. The report will and should start with a piece of fact.

Example

The World Trade Centre in Manhattan has collapsed (Fact)

Preliminary reports suggest the attackers are linked to a terrorist group (again Fact)

It seems that the attackers belong to Al Qaeda (opinion)

Voodoman was right. You need to read news from various sources to snuff out the bull s h i t. CNN and Fox may have fed you some bull s h i t sandwiches but it doesn't mean all news agencies behave that way.

And once again you're way off tangent by saying news are not facts but an interpretation of events :ph34r:

Someone shared this in my newsfeed

FB_IMG_1428841200631.jpg

Suddenly it became clear...

Not sure if this photo is taken before or after the "incident".

can form a rock n roll group n perform jailhouse rock to raise funds

Turbocharged

instead of contributing to amos ...

can we contribute to AGC instead? in this case, would rather support his opposing counsel :D

(and yes, i am aware AGC is funded by govt and they dont need our funds ... but would be a nice thought haha ...)

• Praise 1

since he got $70 left only

i suggest amos accept the "free food" from changi .... 3 meals a day? niceeeee

Edited by Wt_know