What Lee Kuan Yew left for us: Post afterthoughts!

RadX

As we move on, let's keep the flame burning and keep our remembrances here as well as discuss as fellow MCFers how we can do our part going forward!

Same rules apply here and let's agree to disagree on issues. TOxic statements will be removed accordingly. The discretion is up to the mods and fellow MCFers who will also decide as they let us know.

I start:

1. It taught me that as singaporeans, we CAN rise to the occasion! Never have I seen such an overpowering of coming together as ONE NATION. WE have shown it and I am very confident that this is in our blood now!

2. Gratitude runs in all of us and we know where we came from and who we are thankful for. This will last a long time.

3. Success lie not in one man, BUT ONE PERSON steers the ship and the fellow teammates play their part and that is what teamwork is all about!

Thank you

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 17

I remember my teachers correcting me on the Malay words when I sang the National Anthem when I was a little boy.

I believe I made no mistake when I sang the National Anthem just now [;)]

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Think and do not only of yourself, but for the greater good.

Promise only what you can deliver, deliver on what you have promised.

Be a person of integrity, even when others are not looking and even if others may never learn of it. It is a responsibility to oneself.

Edited by Celicar
  • Praise 4

Recognise where we started out, why some of these policies/safeguards are in place (racial quotas, anti-racism/religion extremism crackdowns, ISA, ministerial/civil service pay issues).

More importantly is to recognise the fact that as we become more prosperous, we become even more vulnerable (quote from Mr Lee himself).

• Praise 4

As we move on, let's keep the flame burning and keep our remembrances here as well as discuss as fellow MCFers how we can do our part going forward!

Same rules apply here and let's agree to disagree on issues. TOxic statements will be removed accordingly. The discretion is up to the mods and fellow MCFers who will also decide as they let us know.

I start:

1. It taught me that as singaporeans, we CAN rise to the occasion! Never have I seen such an overpowering of coming together as ONE NATION. WE have shown it and I am very confident that this is in our blood now!

2. Gratitude runs in all of us and we know where we came from and who we are thankful for. This will last a long time.

3. Success lie not in one man, BUT ONE PERSON steers the ship and the fellow teammates play their part and that is what teamwork is all about!

Thank you

Let's teach our younger generations on this... have a day to remember Mr Lee...

Have a Singapore history book to impart our past hardships to our younger generations...

Let's hope our future generations can look back on this day when we celebrate SG100...

• Praise 10

Recognise where we started out, why some of these policies/safeguards are in place (racial quotas, anti-racism/religion extremism crackdowns, ISA, ministerial/civil service pay issues).

More importantly is to recognise the fact that as we become more prosperous, we become even more vulnerable (quote from Mr Lee himself).

bro on that note, I am glad that Archbishop finally mentioned the Marxist Saga. It was hanging in the balance and all, and for good reason in secularism. Indeed, we are beyond that and we move on.

A few fellow catholics I spoke to also called it 'water under the bridge' and let's move on to greater heights!

I remember my teachers correcting me on the Malay words when I sang the National Anthem when I was a little boy.

I did that to scores of students.....they always gets the bersatu and berseru mixed up.....so did i in my younger days....hehehe...
  • Praise 2

Ultimately, he left for us Singapore as we see today. Either we bring Singapore to greater heights, or we screw up and everything comes crashing down.

Whatever happens, Lee Kuan Yew's place in history is assured. It is up to us now.

• Praise 5

Minister Lawrence Wong: Someone sent me this song/video clip, which I thought was very well-done and inspiring. I was also told that the song had been "rejected" by SG50 because the songwriter wasn't Singaporean. I was puzzled and asked my people to check.

In fact, this song was submitted to Mediacorp for a song competition, which understandably has its own qualifying criteria. But competition aside, there's really no limitation on who can contribute songs or other materials for SG50.

Let's have an inclusive celebration, and embrace all who share our values and ideals, and want to join us in making our Golden Jubilee a truly special one!

‪#‎SG50‬

(An original composition for Singapore's 50th Anniversary.

For the Prime Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew and the Singapore People, THE #1 ICON.

Produced by : Sophie's World Productions - Singapore.)

Receive daily bite-size updates from our ministers, MPs and activists onhttp://bit.ly/PAP_Facebook_page

• Praise 1

This time... he did not get up from his final resting place...

instead... he handed his final lesson to the younger generation i.e. those who never saw him in action as PM. Now the younger generation know that a united Singapore can rise up when unexpected... those things taken for granted are hardwork from the pioneer generation... and hopefully more youngsters will step forward and serve the nation instead of just criticising and complaining online...

• Praise 6

bro on that note, I am glad that Archbishop finally mentioned the Marxist Saga. It was hanging in the balance and all, and for good reason in secularism. Indeed, we are beyond that and we move on.

A few fellow catholics I spoke to also called it 'water under the bridge' and let's move on to greater heights!

Yes i thought it was a nice touch. To bring it to rest.

I think how to celebrate Mr Lee's life is to look at the problems/issues that he faced and understand the complexity of the issues that we are facing now.

To be an informed electorate, we need to understand what our leaders are thinking.

Unfortunately though some of our ministers try to explain, i think many of the younger generation just treat it like noise or critique it piecemeal.

While he is very quotable, i thought many Singaporeans (especially the younger ones) should have looked deeper into the history of Singapore under Mr Lee's stewardship rather than just keep talking about soundbites.

There are plenty of documentaries and special features out there cos of this event that wasn't available on youtube or the internet before.

Even as he leaves.....he was still worrying about water for Singapore........and even on his final journey...... he summoned rain.......which is water for all Singaporean.....

I will think of Mr Lee Kuan Yew....... whenever I turn on that tap of fresh water......

• Praise 12

Always and still kind of confused with the words Bersatu and Berseru in the Anthem [shakehead]

• Praise 1