Which 7 seater SUV is better?

Aerosmith

i intend to change my father ride from 730Li to a 7 seater SUV.

x5

Q7

XC90

fortuner

GL450

Land Rover Discovery

btw, i am talking about the old USED cars to keep costs low. of these, which is the better one with reliability being highest priority. reason is because my father really really really hate a car to breakdown leaving him stranded.

thanks for any input.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

x5
Q7
XC90
fortuner
GL450
Land Rover Discovery
btw, i am talking about the old USED cars to keep costs low. of these, which is the better one with reliability being highest priority. reason is because my father really really really hate a car to breakdown leaving him stranded.
thanks for any input.

Seriously, y not go for a proper 7 seater MPV instead? Definitely more spacious.

7 seats on an SUV, the last rows are usually not for adults (i.e. best left for kids, small adults etc).

From your list, I had personally tried the XC90 & Fortuner. Last row for both is an issue for me cos I keep bumping my head on the ceiling (i'm 1.8 btw). Also had issues trying to get out from the last row without falling, especially since both rides are quite tall.

Even worse if you intend to put older folks in the last row (very bad idea).

My opinion if you're really into an SUV - go for the full sized ones, probably the GL (is this available as USED?) or Q7.

X5 last row probably has the same issue with the XC90 & Fortuner. Never tried the Discovery.

Hope this helps ....

• Praise 1

Seriously, y not go for a proper 7 seater MPV instead? Definitely more spacious.

7 seats on an SUV, the last rows are usually not for adults (i.e. best left for kids, small adults etc).

From your list, I had personally tried the XC90 & Fortuner. Last row for both is an issue for me cos I keep bumping my head on the ceiling (i'm 1.8 btw). Also had issues trying to get out from the last row without falling, especially since both rides are quite tall.

Even worse if you intend to put older folks in the last row (very bad idea).

My opinion if you're really into an SUV - go for the full sized ones, probably the GL (is this available as USED?) or Q7.

X5 last row probably has the same issue with the XC90 & Fortuner. Never tried the Discovery.

Hope this helps ....

thanks for your experience with the last row seating of these SUVs, don't worry, the reason i shortlisted them is because my family should be ok with the last row seating as it is at most seated by two girls below 1.6m. longest journey is probably to Genting which i think they surely don't mind.

of course full size MPV like estima, alphard, velfire and odyssey is in our consideration but for now i want to see if SUV can be possible first or not. reason is because i changed my father estima to the 730li, it feels weird going back to estima etc. and 90% of the time, my father only drive around with my mother. to be honest, the only ever situation we will ever use the 7 seats is when we visit north. so it will be not really good use of a full size mpv when we only use it maybe 4 times a year. also, since he likes big presence on the road, i think some of these SUVs are actually taller and bigger road presence than MPV if i am not wrong. lastly, after seeing so many horror freak accidents on the road, i also want to play safe by giving my father the protection from a SUV, i am not really sure on this but i was informed that SUVs have the strongest chasis?

P.S. there is a used GL450 now on sgcarmart, that is why i listed it in my choices.

thanks for your opinion.

V6 Toyota Vellfire

Tall, spacious, tow kay chia, reliable and low running cost

agree but i just find the vellfire and alphard overpriced in singapore. my father all along like the alphard but i keep on trying to psycho him that some large SUVs are larger and most importantly, safer and more powerful lol.

in fact, vellfire are the most expensive in terms of depreciation even when compared to Q7 and GL450. so this one definitely not in my books because i always go for worth.

x5
Q7
XC90
fortuner
GL450
Land Rover Discovery
thanks for any input.

Why SUV? I have a 2012 Q7. I bought that one cos it had a large boot even with 3rd row up and I can put a large twin pram in.

But thinking of trading it for an MPV cos I don't need the large boot nowadays but require better interior space.

As mentioned by @Deranged, for sheer size... the GL450 > Q7... the others are lot smaller. I checked out the X5 & Disco before buying the Q7.

• Praise 1

Why SUV? I have a 2012 Q7. I bought that one cos it had a large boot even with 3rd row up and I can put a large twin pram in.

But thinking of trading it for an MPV cos I don't need the large boot nowadays but require better interior space.

As mentioned by @Deranged, for sheer size... the GL450 > Q7... the others are lot smaller. I checked out the X5 & Disco before buying the Q7.

i guess i will just have to check out GL450, Q7 and an MPV to compare in reality. like i said, the reason why 3rd row is not so important is because it will probably seat only 2 small size girls 4 times a year or so.

• Praise 1

i guess i will just have to check out GL450, Q7 and an MPV to compare in reality. like i said, the reason why 3rd row is not so important is because it will probably seat only 2 small size girls 4 times a year or so.

Bro, ok since you already know what you want, I think the GL or Q7 wld be good.

In terms of occupant safety, you may also want to check out the EUR NCAP safety ratings on crash tests. I think both should be quite solid (my guess, probably 5 star safety ratings for both).

1 more thing to consider, while your girls may be smaller now, kids do grow up fast & you may need to anticipate having some extra space for it, when they suddenly get a growth spurt, unless you can afford to change car every other year .... then this would be small issue [thumbsup]

In comparing a large full sized SUV to an MPV, may i suggest the grand voyager then as I don't think there's anything else which is comparable in size. Too bad the Kia Grand Carnival is not available here.

All the best with your hunt. I personally like the GL too, esp if it's in matte black.

Just too bad I can't afford it.

• Praise 1

Like all cars, there are pros and cons with SUV. You definitely have the higher ground clearance for off-road and clear view of the road for safety, but also higher risk of rollover.

Third row space in most 7-seater SUV is a joke - maybe good for occasional use only. They are also typically heavier and consumes more fuel, but not necessarily more powerful due to weight. 2.5 to more than 3 tons! Can you imagine macam driving 3-tonner.

If you include 5-seater SUV, you have many more options. Cayenne, Touareg, Forester XT, Q5, .. all good torque and versatile SUVs.

There are also some like Outlander and X-trail which have 3rd row seats for "occassional use" but realistically 5-seater space.

Then you check out each of their rollover safety rating, rather than just knocking on the car surface to "test for strong chasis".

thanks for pointing out about the risk of rollover, i hope that the SUV being wider will compensate a bit. lucky my father don't drive like he stole it. i was assuming SUV are stronger because of that extra weight.

Like all cars, there are pros and cons with SUV. You definitely have the higher ground clearance for off-road and clear view of the road for safety, but also higher risk of rollover.

Third row space in most 7-seater SUV is a joke - maybe good for occasional use only. They are also typically heavier and consumes more fuel, but not necessarily more powerful due to weight. 2.5 to more than 3 tons! Can you imagine macam driving 3-tonner.

If you include 5-seater SUV, you have many more options. Cayenne, Touareg, Forester XT, Q5, .. all good torque and versatile SUVs.

There are also some like Outlander and X-trail which have 3rd row seats for "occassional use" but realistically 5-seater space.

Then you check out each of their rollover safety rating, rather than just knocking on the car surface to "test for strong chasis".

^ this +1... except my Q7 is decent for a 2.5 ton vehicle... 0-100 in under 8 secs and 8.5 km/l with 70% highway 30% city driving... the 3.0 turbo and 8-speed gb helps.

• Praise 1

(edited)

Bro, ok since you already know what you want, I think the GL or Q7 wld be good.

In terms of occupant safety, you may also want to check out the EUR NCAP safety ratings on crash tests. I think both should be quite solid (my guess, probably 5 star safety ratings for both).

the Q7 has 4-stars euro ncap. The 6 airbags that protect all the way to the 3rd row helps.

Also... when they introduced the 2016 Q7, Audi mentioned that the new platform is about 600lbs lighter than the outgoing model. Mainly because the old Toureg/Q7/Cayenne platform was the 1st time VW had ever done an SUV so they had over-engineered it.

Edited by ins1dious
  • Praise 1

Bro,just sharing what I know. If you decide on GL450, do consider the fuel consumption(probably only 1 litre=4~5KM or less). Driving this to Genting could cost a lot. Do take note that the 3rd row exit can only be on the right side (wrong side of the road). Apart from that, it is a nice car to have.

• Praise 1

Bro,just sharing what I know. If you decide on GL450, do consider the fuel consumption(probably only 1 litre=4~5KM or less). Driving this to Genting could cost a lot. Do take note that the 3rd row exit can only be on the right side (wrong side of the road). Apart from that, it is a nice car to have.

just the ingress and egress problem you mentioned in the GL450 is enough for me to not consider it already. thanks for this advice, save me a visit for the viewing.

regarding FC for such SUVs, i don't really mind. i rather have safety than penny pinching on fuel.

^ this +1... except my Q7 is decent for a 2.5 ton vehicle... 0-100 in under 8 secs and 8.5 km/l with 70% highway 30% city driving... the 3.0 turbo and 8-speed gb helps.

Bro can consider R300L cos ride more comfy than Q7 and more spacious also esp 2nd and 3rd row seat can fit in adult comfortably.

But fc get around 7-8km/l for my prev

• Praise 1

In my personal opinion, if you do not mind the cost of a X5, I will suggest going for that. For me I feel it's much more center weighted and sturdier while looking stylist and timeless regardless which age group drives it.

Have you ever consider the newest KIA Sorento, it looks nice, petrol savy and have extra 2 seats behind which make it 7 seater as well. Although it seems like a downgrade, haha.

Edited by Patek

List of new 7 seater SUV available on our shore, or coming soon*.

Mid Size (4.6 - 4.7m)

Chevrolet Captiva

Hyundai Santa Fe

Land Rover Discovery Sport

Mitsubishi Outlander

Nissan X-Trail

Large (4.8 - 4.9m)

BMW X5

Kia Sorento

Land Rover Discovery 4

Range Rover Sport

Toyota Land Crusier Prado

Full Size (>4.9m)

Audi Q7

Mercedes-Benz GL / GLS*

Mazda CX-9*

Toyota Land Crusier

Volvo XC90

Seems that most are from luxury car maker...

• Praise 3

I find Daihaitsu Terios 7 to be ok.

List of new 7 seater SUV available on our shore, or coming soon*.

Mid Size (4.6 - 4.7m)

Chevrolet Captiva

Hyundai Santa Fe

Land Rover Discovery Sport

Mitsubishi Outlander

Nissan X-Trail

Large (4.8 - 4.9m)

BMW X5

Kia Sorento

Land Rover Discovery 4

Range Rover Sport

Toyota Land Crusier Prado

Full Size (>4.9m)

Audi Q7

Mercedes-Benz GL / GLS*

Mazda CX-9*

Toyota Land Crusier

Volvo XC90

Seems that most are from luxury car maker...

x5

Q7

XC90

fortuner

GL450

Land Rover Discovery

thanks for any input.

Especially for used cars, if you are looking for low costs (including maintenance) and higher reliability, go for Japanese make......

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1