New Ford Mondeo

Suhaimiebrahim

Turbocharged

do we call this 5door sedan saloon also?

I think I view only the 4door type and lure to next door by my wife...

Officially it is called the hatchback. Ford Mondeo Hatchback. On pricelist, is labelled Mondeo 5dr.

It's very easy for people to overlook it. In the showroom, they look almost the same, except for the hatch having a rear wiper.

It's typically called a notchback or liftback.

7hm, I believe fastback simply refers to the shape of the rear windshield joining the boot region... not sure if it necessarily refers to the liftback design that the Mondeo is so famous for.

Notchbacks refer to normal saloon boot typically, i.e. Mondeo 4dr sedan, or maybe the Opel Insignia notchback, though frankly I'm not sure what a notchback actually is. Wikipedia says: "Notchback is a styling term describing a car body style, a variation of three-box styling where the third distinct volume or "box" is less pronounced — especially where the rear deck (third box) is short or where the rear window is upright. Generally, the notchback refers to the distinct angle of the rear window in relation to the vehicle's more horizontal roofline and its rear decklid."

In this regard, Mondeo 4dr would qualify as a notchback I suppose, as it has a coupe-like swoop all the way. The rear deck is almost fastback like, but unlike 5dr, it swoops up slightly.

gofurther-all-new-mondeo-06.jpg

^the sedan

In this case, the best descriptor would be liftback, for the 5dr. Officially speaking, hatchback is the term used, as that is a hatch. I guess a hatch/liftback would mean a rear tailgate that is hinged at the roof, which is the case for the 5dr

And yes, you are right - fastback refers to a consistent taper from roof to rear end. But, most of the time, fastbacks are liftbacks. I just used fastback in this case to emphasize how the Mondeo 5dr looks. Compared to the sedan which has an obvious boot deck which is nearly horizontal, the liftback has no horizontal surface - it is tapered all the way.

05_FordMondeo_5Door.jpg

^the hatchback

Edited by 7hm
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Officially it is called the hatchback. Ford Mondeo Hatchback. On pricelist, is labelled Mondeo 5dr.

It's very easy for people to overlook it. In the showroom, they look almost the same, except for the hatch having a rear wiper.

Notchbacks refer to normal saloon boot typically, i.e. Mondeo 4dr sedan, or maybe the Opel Insignia notchback, though frankly I'm not sure what a notchback actually is. Wikipedia says: "Notchback is a styling term describing a car body style, a variation of three-box styling where the third distinct volume or "box" is less pronounced — especially where the rear deck (third box) is short or where the rear window is upright. Generally, the notchback refers to the distinct angle of the rear window in relation to the vehicle's more horizontal roofline and its rear decklid."

In this regard, Mondeo 4dr would qualify as a notchback I suppose, as it has a coupe-like swoop all the way. The rear deck is almost fastback like, but unlike 5dr, it swoops up slightly.

gofurther-all-new-mondeo-06.jpg

^the sedan

In this case, the best descriptor would be liftback, for the 5dr. Officially speaking, hatchback is the term used, as that is a hatch. I guess a hatch/liftback would mean a rear tailgate that is hinged at the roof, which is the case for the 5dr

And yes, you are right - fastback refers to a consistent taper from roof to rear end. But, most of the time, fastbacks are liftbacks. I just used fastback in this case to emphasize how the Mondeo 5dr looks. Compared to the sedan which has an obvious boot deck which is nearly horizontal, the liftback has no horizontal surface - it is tapered all the way.

05_FordMondeo_5Door.jpg

^the hatchback

Not something new. Used to own a Mazda 6 hatch. More functional than sedan but just have to be a bit more careful when in carparks with low ceilings.

Looks something like this:

43835d1132007227-hatch-space-17___canoe.

Turbocharged

Not something new. Used to own a Mazda 6 hatch. More functional than sedan but just have to be a bit more careful when in carparks with low ceilings.

Looks something like this:

43835d1132007227-hatch-space-17___canoe.

True. Not new... the previous Mondeos were also liftbacks. There's one Mk 4 liftback very near me in fact.

However, they are rare nowadays, especially in Singapore. Europe, however, still has a wide variety of liftbacks available such as the Vauxhall (Opel) Insignia, or Skoda Superb and Octavia. In Singapore, now your only option for this type of car is Audi A5 Sportback or A7, BMW 3GT, 5GT, 4GC or X4/X6, or Mondeo. I cannot think of any others that are saloon-looking liftbacks.

In fact my family had at least two liftbacks in the past.... [smallcry]

• Praise 1

The current mondeo 1.5 rims are too small for the car, need at least 17"

But the higher profile tires translate into a much more comfortable ride.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Anyone managed to install apps to their SYNC2 system or connect the car to the internet?

In other news, the repair bill is more than 10k... [shocked][dizzy]

Anyone managed to install apps to their SYNC2 system or connect the car to the internet?

In other news, the repair bill is more than 10k... [shocked][dizzy]

$10K??? That's nuts!!! What is the breakdown?

Who pays? You or the insurance of the party that damaged your bumper?

Edited by teomingern
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

$10K??? That's nuts!!! What is the breakdown?

Who pays? You or the insurance of the party that damaged your bumper?

this one no argument, the other side's insurance is covering it. Quite a lot of the cost is the labor fees (5.5k), while the parts make up almost $8k after their negotiations.

As expected, AD's big big margins and the fact that the parts must be brought in for the job

this one no argument, the other side's insurance is covering it. Quite a lot of the cost is the labor fees (5.5k), while the parts make up almost $8k after their negotiations.

As expected, AD's big big margins and the fact that the parts must be brought in for the job

Woah... that's gonna cos him is NCD leh...

Sorry to hijack this thread. Any one driving the old Mondeo or any versions have problem with their wheel nuts? 

The nut threads has worn and torn thus making it hard to screw or unscrew. I am unsure of the the ones on the internet fitting. Anyone bought before? 

• Praise 1

Sorry to hijack this thread. Any one driving the old Mondeo or any versions have problem with their wheel nuts?

The nut threads has worn and torn thus making it hard to screw or unscrew. I am unsure of the the ones on the internet fitting. Anyone bought before?

Go find a workshop to help you, ususally those studs can be replaced individually.
  • Praise 1

Go find a workshop to help you, ususally those studs can be replaced individually.

You can buy from Regent Motors. Not cheap though. I think $8 per nut.

• Praise 2

Neutral Newbie

I am reading off the screen. No warning message for the chime. Everytime crossed the 130 will chime without fail.

I experience this too but think it is a safety feature but don't know how to disable. Mine is 120km I think.

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

The peeling is at the side of the front passenger seat. A patch of about 4" to 5" in length and 1.5" in width. The peel off leather even drops out onto the seat.....

:ouch-it-hurts:

So far mine still ok. May I know how old is your car for it to happen?

Keen on the mondeo 1.5 seems to make gd economic sense. Saw the mazda 6 wagon and the interior of the ford seems better

Edited by Berlow

So far mine still ok. May I know how old is your car for it to happen?

I spotted it one month after I took delivery of the car.

Has any Bro here resolved the issue with RM with regards to peeling leather seats yet?

• Praise 1

You can buy from Regent Motors. Not cheap though. I think $8 per nut.

I asked and they wanna charge me 19 bucks!!! Finally found one set for 120 bucks
↡ Advertisement