New Ford Mondeo

Suhaimiebrahim

Turbocharged
(edited)
Anyway... between Mondeo and volvo S60 D2. which is a better n more reliable choice?

I think both would be same-same. S60 D2 platform still technically derived from Ford, and the D2 uses the Ford Powershift DCT. DCT tends to be viewed as less reliable. Mondeo got lots more tech onboard so may have more niggling problems over its lifetime, but it uses a 6-speed automatic and fairly proven 2.0L EcoBoost. I think the Volvo would have more servicing charges though since its viewed as a premium brand albeit lower level, but Ford parts harder to find.

Pretty much neither brand have a bad reputation for unreliable. Volvo though I think someone in the V40 D2 thread complain about engine problems in first couple of months. Other than that I don't hear much issues with Volvo, not nearly as much as say BMW.

Ford seems to have decently good reputation for being problem free among people here on MCF (for older models like Focus) but the brand itself just isn't prominent to most consumers anymore.

don't think you can expect much trouble with either one tbh. But Mondeo I would compare more to S60 T5 rather than D2...

Edited by 7hm
↡ Advertisement

146k is the Teik said one... but 160k for 4 dr and 162k for 5 dr is the standard price now if u walk in now.

if below 160k..will u take?

Anyway... between Mondeo and volvo S60 D2. which is a better n more reliable choice?

My interest in Mondeo waned alot liao...after almost 1 mth since viewing and testing the car, it doesn't seem to grow on me, doesn't make me gian like some other cars do..... i am waiting for sep to see how the coe pans out.

I hv owned 2 volvos and i think the reliability of volvo is ok. anyway my general view is that most of the cars in SG are reliable except for VW bec of their infamous 7 speed DSG. of course VW says they have solved the prob...

I think both would be same-same. S60 D2 platform still technically derived from Ford, and the D2 uses the Ford Powershift DCT. DCT tends to be viewed as less reliable. Mondeo got lots more tech onboard so may have more niggling problems over its lifetime, but it uses a 6-speed automatic and fairly proven 2.0L EcoBoost. I think the Volvo would have more servicing charges though since its viewed as a premium brand albeit lower level, but Ford parts harder to find.

Pretty much neither brand have a bad reputation for unreliable. Volvo though I think someone in the V40 D2 thread complain about engine problems in first couple of months. Other than that I don't hear much issues with Volvo, not nearly as much as say BMW.

Ford seems to have decently good reputation for being problem free among people here on MCF (for older models like Focus) but the brand itself just isn't prominent to most consumers anymore.

don't think you can expect much trouble with either one tbh. But Mondeo I would compare more to S60 T5 rather than D2...

The S60 T5 and Mondeo are similarly speced, but because Mondeo heavier so the 0-100 is 7.9 compared to S60's 6.3. AD margin is much higher for the S60. Between these 2, Mondeo will get my vote

• Praise 1

Think current mondeo n s60 platform looks v similar...shd be same. Anyway, I compared D2 and mondeo as their price range closest, T5 e Drive cost 30k more... D2 offers gd FC n but sound insulation n smoothest of the drive lose to Mondeo

Turbocharged
(edited)

Think current mondeo n s60 platform looks v similar...shd be same. Anyway, I compared D2 and mondeo as their price range closest, T5 e Drive cost 30k more... D2 offers gd FC n but sound insulation n smoothest of the drive lose to Mondeo

S60 & S80 is on "Volvo P3". This is the old Ford EUCD platform. But they are using Volvo's own engines - Drive high-efficiency petrols (I am stunned by the excellent performance of the Drive engines) and D2/D4/D5 diesels - and the T5 now uses a 8-speed gearbox speculated to be from Aisin. Well, D2 uses the old Ford Powershift DCT.

Current latest Mondeo is on CD4 that's supposed to be 10% stiffer. The gearbox is supposedly Ford/GM co-developed 6-speed that's labelled 6F35 in the Mondeo.

seriously mondeo is more in league with S80 then S60...

Mondeo has a much bigger interior and boot space than S60, so see what u need

Agree with these statements. Mondeo is large car, S60 is compact executive. But given factors such as price range and the fact that the S80 is still a bit backward at this point, I think most people end up comparing Mondeo to the S60. imo S60's interior space could be better for its class and its boot is, all in all, terribly small.

Edited by 7hm
  • Praise 1

S60 & S80 is on "Volvo P3". This is the old Ford EUCD platform. But they are using Volvo's own engines - Drive high-efficiency petrols (I am stunned by the excellent performance of the Drive engines) and D2/D4/D5 diesels - and the T5 now uses a 8-speed gearbox speculated to be from Aisin. Well, D2 uses the old Ford Powershift DCT.

Current latest Mondeo is on CD4 that's supposed to be 10% stiffer. The gearbox is supposedly Ford/GM co-developed 6-speed that's labelled 6F35 in the Mondeo.

Agree with these statements. Mondeo is large car, S60 is compact executive. But given factors such as price range and the fact that the S80 is still a bit backward at this point, I think most people end up comparing Mondeo to the S60. imo S60's interior space could be better for its class and its boot is, all in all, terribly small.

Agree....in a way is comparing selphy to Camry.

Turbocharged

Got around to attempting a test cruise.

For such a large car, the turning radius doesn't feel very wide! It's also very serene in regards to NVH and comfortable inside, the suspension does smooth bobs rather than 'bumps'.

Steering is heavier than most of the other marques (I'm thinking of a certain Japanese T especially) and more direct feeling, but it's definitely not at all like a hydraulic rack.

Engine pickup is remarkably smooth and quiet until you try to rev it hard in which case the engine starts to make itself heard. It sounds a bit artificial but at the same time pleasing to hear. I forgot to ask if our local cars are equipped with the sound symposer (which is supposed to be standard with the 2.0L EcoBoost in Europe).

Brakes are also quite strong in initial bite. Fuel consumption could definitely be better though. The gearbox also shifts very smoothly, at least compared to my current car.

Sound system earns a thumbs up from me. SYNC understands voice commands with local accents though its commands may be a bit inflexible.

For example: you cannot immediately say "set driver temperature to 18 degrees", but you must first ask for "Climate" then "set passenger/driver temperature to 18 degrees".

Interesting review, I found the steering to be incredibly light. Sound insulation is excellent and ride is smooth... a bit disconnected, but on local roads that's fine 99% of the time.

I'll ask here as its been brought up on the Mazda thread, will the Mondeo get a satnav at some point here or at least some compromise/ hack?

I keep coming back to this car, might have to go for another test. 😀

Turbocharged

Interesting review, I found the steering to be incredibly light. Sound insulation is excellent and ride is smooth... a bit disconnected, but on local roads that's fine 99% of the time.

I'll ask here as its been brought up on the Mazda thread, will the Mondeo get a satnav at some point here or at least some compromise/ hack?

I keep coming back to this car, might have to go for another test. 😀

I find myself comparing it at least to Japanese brands (Mazda not withstanding) and the Korean duo. It's definitely weightier and more connected feeling than those from Toyota, Hyundai and KIA. It's definitely light, but not as light as some of the worst offenders.

You can try asking your Ford SA... but for the foreseeable future there is no sign that SYNC2 will have satnav here. What I have mentioned previously still stands; that I think the Mondeo is physically equipped with a GPS module or at least ready to accept one as the compass is working.

SYNC2 is quite an advanced system and is ready to accept consumer-performed updates - you can just load the software update on a pen-drive and plug it in, so I don't imagine it being impossible to enable the satnav later on if they actually have maps for Singapore. Which, well, they don't right now, from what I understand. If we do buy the car, I guess we'll just have to keep pressuring Regent to get us satnav [grouphug]

Another amusing thing though is that if you have your own GPS unit or a phone holder, Mat from Carbuyer UK mentioned that the SYNC2 screen is a great place to stick a holder. [grin]

Since I'm on that point, SYNC2 also works fine with my Bluetooth streaming and didn't stop the track halfway at times like I experienced in a Hyundai i40, as well as supporting play/skip controls via its touchscreen. Curiously I couldn't find an AUX port in the central console, which is a glaring omission, but it does have a RCA plug set for a DVD player or similar (or a games console if you're so inclined). That aside, the sound output is certainly above average and the car's strong insulation only makes the speakers' experience better.

Another thing I also inquired about that day was whether our cars come with adaptive suspension; the answer I was given was no. I didn't see the option in the car's MFD settings either, though I might have missed it. If adaptive suspension is available the car is supposed to have sport, normal and comfort settings, as well as steering weight options. It's also supposed to be able to set separate configurations for D & S on the transmission if so equipped. Probably ought to check the car again.

I find myself comparing it at least to Japanese brands (Mazda not withstanding) and the Korean duo. It's definitely weightier and more connected feeling than those from Toyota, Hyundai and KIA. It's definitely light, but not as light as some of the worst offenders.

You can try asking your Ford SA... but for the foreseeable future there is no sign that SYNC2 will have satnav here. What I have mentioned previously still stands; that I think the Mondeo is physically equipped with a GPS module or at least ready to accept one as the compass is working.

SYNC2 is quite an advanced system and is ready to accept consumer-performed updates - you can just load the software update on a pen-drive and plug it in, so I don't imagine it being impossible to enable the satnav later on if they actually have maps for Singapore. Which, well, they don't right now, from what I understand. If we do buy the car, I guess we'll just have to keep pressuring Regent to get us satnav [grouphug]

Another amusing thing though is that if you have your own GPS unit or a phone holder, Mat from Carbuyer UK mentioned that the SYNC2 screen is a great place to stick a holder. [grin]

Since I'm on that point, SYNC2 also works fine with my Bluetooth streaming and didn't stop the track halfway at times like I experienced in a Hyundai i40, as well as supporting play/skip controls via its touchscreen. Curiously I couldn't find an AUX port in the central console, which is a glaring omission, but it does have a RCA plug set for a DVD player or similar (or a games console if you're so inclined). That aside, the sound output is certainly above average and the car's strong insulation only makes the speakers' experience better.

Another thing I also inquired about that day was whether our cars come with adaptive suspension; the answer I was given was no. I didn't see the option in the car's MFD settings either, though I might have missed it. If adaptive suspension is available the car is supposed to have sport, normal and comfort settings, as well as steering weight options. It's also supposed to be able to set separate configurations for D & S on the transmission if so equipped. Probably ought to check the car again.

I am living overseas and currently drive a Ford with My Ford Touch and SYNC 2 and I absolutely love it. Occasionally voice command will not understand what you're trying to say but overall it has been great. I have never had a dropped call via bluetooth.

With regards to the AUX mine is in the center armrest. I even uploaded several wallpapers to individualize it. I don't think I can ever have a car with a basic system anymore. My Ford has officially spoiled me.

I do hope they get an SG map cause its so easy to input destination via voice command. [:)]

Most of the complains have been with trying to figure out how to use and adjust the system but if you have a smart phone you should be able to figure it out. It's definitely not for those who are not tech savvy.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

I am living overseas and currently drive a Ford with My Ford Touch and SYNC 2 and I absolutely love it. Occasionally voice command will not understand what you're trying to say but overall it has been great. I have never had a dropped call via bluetooth.

With regards to the AUX mine is in the center armrest. I even uploaded several wallpapers to individualize it. I don't think I can ever have a car with a basic system anymore. My Ford has officially spoiled me.

I do hope they get an SG map cause its so easy to input destination via voice command. [:)]

Most of the complains have been with trying to figure out how to use and adjust the system but if you have a smart phone you should be able to figure it out. It's definitely not for those who are not tech savvy.

It seems perfectly understandable to me and it's not that slow either. Of course, there are people these days who don't make any effort to learn systems... [hur] Though I suppose it's not really as immediately intuitive as some competitors, given its wide ranging capability. Volkswagen's Discover Pro system is by far the best in the business in my opinion, combining simplicity and excellence in functionality.

AUX in the center armrest? That's where I looked, but I only saw:

2x USB (imo they're too close to each other for two normal-size pendrives to be connected simultaneously or possibly even two phone cables)

1x RCA set (red+white+yellow)

1x SD slot

1x 12V power output

I couldn't find an AUX 3.5mm TRS connector inside, and that was a minor hiccup as I intended to test the sound system with my WALKMAN's output directly given that most car stereos have lousy Bluetooth streaming quality. When I do get a new ride I will most likely simply use a SD card, however.

Your car is not a Fusion or a Mondeo, I'm assuming?

It seems perfectly understandable to me and it's not that slow either. Of course, there are people these days who don't make any effort to learn systems... [hur] Though I suppose it's not really as immediately intuitive as some competitors, given its wide ranging capability. Volkswagen's Discover Pro system is by far the best in the business in my opinion, combining simplicity and excellence in functionality.

AUX in the center armrest? That's where I looked, but I only saw:

2x USB (imo they're too close to each other for two normal-size pendrives to be connected simultaneously or possibly even two phone cables)

1x RCA set (red+white+yellow)

1x SD slot

1x 12V power output

I couldn't find an AUX 3.5mm TRS connector inside, and that was a minor hiccup as I intended to test the sound system with my WALKMAN's output directly given that most car stereos have lousy Bluetooth streaming quality. When I do get a new ride I will most likely simply use a SD card, however.

Your car is not a Fusion or a Mondeo, I'm assuming?

I'm the driving the Edge.

I think the best system I've played around with is Chrysler's U connect. IMO its the best and easiest to understand. But it lacks in certain areas due to its simplicity. Haven't got a chance to try VW's system yet. I would like to try Lexus' system with their mouse. Looks interesting.

I always thought the Ford Mondeo is a very handsome looking car and the latest model is looks even better imho

Ford-Mondeo-2015-Preis-1200x800-cdc6511f

Saw this car parked at the road side, red colour. Very chio! Especially the headlights and the front grill. Swee!