WhatsApp vs Wavee

Maxus-MIFA9

good point. the competitive advantage is "unlimited" usage - no data cap for wavee to wavee within partners

Singtel has 500m users across Optus, Telkomsel. Globe, AIS , some interest in Bharti, etc. If there is a local telco that has a chance of taking on Whatsapp or Line, it may be Singtel. The network is there but how to get users to switch is a tall order.

↡ Advertisement

good point. the competitive advantage is "unlimited" usage - no data cap for wavee to wavee within partners

And how much data can such a program use anyway? There's really no advantage to any of us using this instead if WhatsApp?

Twincharged

And how much data can such a program use anyway? There's really no advantage to any of us using this instead if WhatsApp?

Actually it can use quite alot of data. For some reason the older folks like to use it to share videos and watch videos being shared there. I guess its cuz they don't use facebook. I notice this trend among my aunties and uncles and some of my older colleagues. They can use 3-4gb data on whatsapp alone. Lol.

Unless singtel can get whole lot of users to jump ship ALL AT THE SAME TIME, it aint gonna work.

Person A: "Hey download wavee ley...we can talk thru that app."

Person B,C,D,E,F,G..etc :"Why? Whatsapp spoil?"

LOL

• Praise 1

That may not be true. In sg there is mindless herd mentality, monkey see monkey do. And local media will encourage n.use this to their advantage to profit.

Unless singtel can get whole lot of users to jump ship ALL AT THE SAME TIME, it aint gonna work.

Person A: "Hey download wavee ley...we can talk thru that app."

Person B,C,D,E,F,G..etc :"Why? Whatsapp spoil?"

LOL

• Praise 1

With the small captive market, sinktel has been exploiting us to the max. I recently exceeded usage of my old 12gig data plan by only maybe 600meg, and they slap a $29 excess charge which almost doubles my total bill.

I called them to request a one time waiver and after much to and fro they refused. For most who are on the smaller data plan, the excess data charges are much worse.

even monkey see monkey do ... little red dot got less than 5M users ... super kacang la

Whatsapp got a call function recently. Din realise till i got some missed call from whatsapp. How is the data charges for calls like?

Voice call should not take up much data. If got wifi best as wifi is unlimited data.

true that singapore mobile subs are not a lot but if Singtel can leverage and market this properly across the Group's over 300 million global subscribers including Australia, India, Indonesia, Philippines, etc then it would be a pretty big thing...

http://info.singtel.com/node/7609

the number of migrant workers in singapore calling back their home countries like for instance India migrating to this app can bring substantial revenue on their data bundle perhaps on the prepaid side, and perhaps adverts space on the app, perhaps downloadable Indian content for example...

only question if whether this app is a group one or just singapore base and if the latter then it will be too little too late like what someone has said...

well to give singtel some credit, they at least tried something. lets see what StarHub and M1 will do.

Edited by Dice

Whatsapp got a call function recently. Din realise till i got some missed call from whatsapp. How is the data charges for calls like?

I don't think there is special data charge for Whatsapp calls. It just uses your 3G/4G or WIFI package.

my whatsapp calls seem to be unstable... intermittent connection sometimes. Not ideal.

BBM voice calls and Skype on my handphone still ok.

using wifi connection (home and office) for these calls. All to overseas contacts.

Sorry. Can't help but to feel cynical and steer clear of almost everything Stinktel.

I wanna support local companies but this Leopard never changes its spots.

They made me so pissed off as a end consumer and I boycott them.

So leaving me little choice but to sign up severel corporate accounts with M1 & SH.

During then my boss is a Singtel loyal customer and he did question me.

Then I ask, you know I'm good with maths and do you want me to draft worksheet reports or do something else more important?

The answer is no and I got what I want.

↡ Advertisement