Family sue SAF for son's death

Vid

Hypersonic

The family of a dead national serviceman is suing the Singapore Armed Forces for allegedly failing to provide a safe training environment. http://str.sg/JFE

Private Dominique Sarron Lee, 21, died in April 2012 after an allergic reaction to smoke grenades during an exercise. Pte Lee's platoon commander and the exercise's chief safety officer are also being sued for negligence.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

doubt saf will let the case go to court.

but the safety officer and OC probably hentak kaki liaoz...

in the good old days, if they were honourable, the minister of defence and chief of army would have committed hara kiri

Edited by Little_prince
  • Praise 18

Hypersonic

Think they wait for the investigation result now then take action.

The conclusion was the excessive use of smoke grenades. The boy was allergic to a compound use in the smoke grenades. Now that they know, they can be fairly confident that they will win the case.

Turbocharged

Think they wait for the investigation result now then take action.

base on known reports, I think the commander used too many smoke bombs causing this soldier to suffocate and later died.......

no matter what, SAF needs to compensate but will the family accept the compensation is another matter.

I remember last time, such training death is afew $K plus a state flag.......

• Praise 3

Hypersonic

in the good old days, if they were honourable, the minister of defence and chief of army would have committed hara kiri

Go to high court means the sum they are seeking is over $250k. Depends what the family wants. If they want money, SAF will settle out of court. If it's not money but for more awareness that SAF should comply with safety regulations, then they will continue with the lawsuit.

• Praise 2

Hypersonic

base on known reports, I think the commander used too many smoke bombs causing this soldier to suffocate and later died.......

no matter what, SAF needs to compensate but will the family accept the compensation is another matter.

I remember last time, such training death is afew $K plus a state flag.......

Raising a child is definitely more than the few K lor.

• Praise 3

Turbocharged

Raising a child is definitely more than the few K lor.

no life should use monetary term to measure but what else can the family ask for?

May this soldier RIP...... [:(]

• Praise 6

no life should use monetary term to measure but what else can the family ask for?

May this soldier RIP...... [:(]

aside from money.

i hope this help raises awareness so that SAF will revamp their safety procedures.

every son of singapore is valuable.

we cannot afford to lose people due to carelessness like this.

• Praise 5

Turbocharged

aside from money.

i hope this help raises awareness so that SAF will revamp their safety procedures.

every son of singapore is valuable.

we cannot afford to lose people due to carelessness like this.

the safety protocols are there.............but senior commanders don't follow also useless........

sad to say, it almost always someone got to sacrificed his/her life to relearn the lesson......

• Praise 1

Not sure if the $8 dollar man will echo the same stance in parliament [sly]

• Praise 3

"Pte Lee, who was diagnosed with asthma prior to enlisting in November 2011, had to wear a blue band around his wrist to indicate his condition."

"State Coroner Imran Abdul Hamid also pointed out that Pte Lee had 'underplayed and underdeclared' his asthma history during a pre-enlistment medical check-up, in which he failed to mention his latest attack."

...hhmmmm.....so liddat, what is what har??

• Praise 1

the safety protocols are there.............but senior commanders don't follow also useless........

sad to say, it almost always someone got to sacrificed his/her life to relearn the lesson......

I mean. We are alwats willing to put our lives on the line to serve our country .

But at the same time the govt have the responsibility to minimize all risks to their soldiers becausr each and everyone is a valuable resource .

In the words of rambo " I just want my country to love me as much as I love her"

• Praise 3

"Pte Lee, who was diagnosed with asthma prior to enlisting in November 2011, had to wear a blue band around his wrist to indicate his condition."

"State Coroner Imran Abdul Hamid also pointed out that Pte Lee had 'underplayed and underdeclared' his asthma history during a pre-enlistment medical check-up, in which he failed to mention his latest attack."

...hhmmmm.....so liddat, what is what har??

Don't make a big deal of your illness means you die, your business, SAF tai chee.

Declare your illness and some Internet heroes immediately label you chao keng.

Liddat how to win?

• Praise 2

Don't make a big deal of your illness means you die, your business, SAF tai chee.

Declare your illness and some Internet heroes immediately label you chao keng.

Liddat how to win?

sometime its not that straight forward.....some commanders, peers likes to use the term 'Mind over Matter'. Seen and heard many times even among casual sportsmen. I know of men who still want to go for training even though they are having/recovering from a fever and fasting at the same time. Well...no matter what i think nobody has won a suit involving SAF before!
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1