If you thought you hated Cheryl..you havnt seen anything yet

Jiayong

1, 6 and 6.

List the triples that have a product of 36. You'll find that only two, namely (1,6,6) and (2,2,9) have the same sum, which explains why Tom's still unsure after the first couple of clues (despite knowing the house number!)

The final clue is that she *has* a (single) youngest child so that gives (1,6,6) as the only answer.

Truth time: not the first time I've seen this. I've actually done this, or a problem very similar to this before under competition conditions in JC (but I got the answer then too).

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 1

1, 6 and 6.

List the triples that have a product of 36. You'll find that only two, namely (1,6,6) and (2,2,9) have the same sum, which explains why Tom's still unsure after the first couple of clues (despite knowing the house number!)

The final clue is that she *has* a (single) youngest child so that gives (1,6,6) as the only answer.

Truth time: not the first time I've seen this. I've actually done this, or a problem very similar to this before under competition conditions in JC (but I got the answer then too).

Why 2, 3, 6 cannot huh?

I think I understand already. Sum of 3 must have multiples.

Edited by Coltplussport

1, 6 and 6.

Fwaaah! The brain! Check out the brain! I thought was a trick/joke and not a real question until I saw your answer.

I want to praise you but cannot already, limpeh need to praise 4 more people first but nobody impressed me enough yet.

Why 2, 3, 6 cannot huh?

I think I understand already. Sum of 3 must have multiples.

Because 2+3+6 add up is a unique 11. No need multiple, because 2,3,6 also can have youngest child.

1+6+6 = 13

2+2+9 = 13

So if it was 11, then the neighbour will know is her house number.

Edited by Ake109
  • Praise 1

Supercharged

1, 6 and 6.

you are si bei the smart loh... clever even... you got part time as Sherlock boh?

• Praise 1

1, 6 and 6.

her youngest child cld b born in the same yr wat, so 229 cld also b correct right?

Hypersonic

her youngest child cld b born in the same yr wat, so 229 cld also b correct right?

Like that won't be youngest child already. Will be children. Both same age.

1, 6 and 6.

The (product)[sum] of 36

(1,3,12)[16] ->reject. assuming a one year old child does not drink strawberry milk

(1,4,9)[15] ->reject. assuming a one year old child does not drink strawberry milk

(1,6,6)[13] ->reject as the sum is not unique and no twin

(2,3,6)[11] ->Accept.

(2,2,9)[13] ->reject as the sum is not unique and not twin

(3,3,4)[10] ->reject. Assuming youngest is not the twin of the second child

Not sure if the deductions are valid.

1, 6 and 6.

Think your solution is most accurate.

The (product)[sum] of 36

(1,3,12)[16] ->reject. assuming a one year old child does not drink strawberry milk

(1,4,9)[15] ->reject. assuming a one year old child does not drink strawberry milk

(1,6,6)[13] ->reject as the sum is not unique and no twin

(2,3,6)[11] ->Accept.

(2,2,9)[13] ->reject as the sum is not unique and not twin

(3,3,4)[10] ->reject. Assuming youngest is not the twin of the second child

Not sure if the deductions are valid.

The answer lies in Tom knowing the house number. So it is right that the final options are only those that will cause Tom not to know the answer until last clue was given. However, to me, if I were to consider logic, this is an argumentative/debatable question because 2,2,9 can be the answer also if they count months unless the 2 and 2 are twins delivered exactly at the same time. Edited by Andyngps
  • Praise 1