IQ or logic related question to ask!

Nissan833

Scenario A: A car travelling at 100km/h constantly on an empty road with a fly flying in the car.

Is the fly keeping up with the car's speed? The fly would be travelling at the car's speed (100km/h) + whatever its flight speed is (e.g 3km/h)

No, but why?

If yes, really???!!

=====

I actually researched about the answers before but this question always lingered on my mind so I thought to share. Maybe my mind works in a different way, always wondering about weird stuffs. I am also interested in seeing some of the explanations here.

Thanks in advance [laugh]

↡ Advertisement

that's not IQ question.

that's a physic question?

relative velocity.

Scenario A: A car travelling at 100km/h constantly on an empty road with a fly flying in the car.

Is the fly keeping up with the car's speed? The fly would be travelling at the car's speed (100km/h) + whatever its flight speed is (e.g 3km/h)

No, but why?

If yes, really???!!

=====

I actually researched about the answers before but this question always lingered on my mind so I thought to share. Maybe my mind works in a different way, always wondering about weird stuffs. I am also interested in seeing some of the explanations here.

No, but why?

If yes, really???!!

=====

Earth is spinning at a very fast speed. U jump towards the direction earth is spinning.. And u land 3 meter from the same spot. So u jump 3mtrs or a few miles???

U can answer this question u can answer ur own question.

Edited by Joseph22
  • Praise 1

I think it's due to the atmospheric environment.

Bring things into larger content.

Earth is travelling at 108,000km/hr and why we don't feel it?

Besides Earth travelling at 108k km/hr, our solar system is too travelling (google the solar system's travelling speed).

God is a speed freak and why we have speeding laws is also a question to me.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

It depends on the application of your question.

If it's standard physics the fly is flying 3km in the car's cabin as the cabin is a self contain environment that shield off the movement from outside. It's not keeping up with the car.

But if you are applying the principles of relativity with pov outside the car, the fly is indeed keeping up with the car. It goes beyond that depending on your pov.

Eg. the road is also moving due to earth rotating and the earth is moving around the sun and the solar system is moving with the galaxy.

For all you know at the pov outside the universe, we are all sitting down and travelling at light speed!

Edited by Pocus

Assuming that the fly wants to stay within the same spot in the car's cabin when the car is going at 100kmh. There are 2 scenarios.

1) If its a normal car with an enclosed cabin, then the car is transporting the air inside at 100kmh. The fly is within that cabin air, and will simply need to hover within. The relative velocity between the cabin air and the car is zero.

2) The fly will need to fly at 100kmh if the car is a convertible with its top down. This is because the relative velocity between the cabin air and the car is 100kmh.

Fun Facts:

Humans cant feel speed, humans can only feel acceleration or deceleration.

If humans can feel speed, explain why you can't feel anything while sitting still in a airplane.

• Praise 2

Hypersonic

Why the driver never open the window so that the fly can get sucked out by the pressure differential?

seriously does this work?

sometimes got mosquitoes fly in...quite difficult to beat while driving

:D

No, but why?

If yes, really???!!

=====

this is newton law of motion. Imagine if you in the train in motion, when you jump, you still land on the same spot.

In aeroplane talk, there is ground speed and there is true air speed.

So the fly ground speed is 103kph but true air speed is 3kph because the air in the car is moving same direction as his flight vector.

Just like in an airplane, you run from economy to biz class, you are still running at 5kph, not (5 + 844)kph.

Twincharged

I had a similar question when I was in sec school. But then it was a balloon filled with helium in the car instead.The balloon is attached to a string and the string is attached to the car so the balloon is in the middle of the car. Will the balloon move inside the car when the driver accelerates?

If humans can feel speed, explain why you can't feel anything while sitting still in a airplane.

Jamesc will tell you if the stewardess very chio, he definitely can feel something lor.

• Praise 2

I had a similar question when I was in sec school. But then it was a balloon filled with helium in the car instead.The balloon is attached to a string and the string is attached to the car so the balloon is in the middle of the car. Will the balloon move inside the car when the driver accelerates?

This one youtube has the answer. But is not the same as the fly.

Edited by Ender
  • Praise 1

No, but why?

If yes, really???!!

=====

Isnt the fly travelling at the cars speed 100km/h ?

If you are asking how fast its flying, it should be whatever is necessary to overcome whatever drag there is.

Good luck if the windows are down lol

Edited by Unfair

Jamesc will tell you if the stewardess very chio, he definitely can feel something lor.

Blood *rushing somewhere to stiff up matters.

*Rush = Speed = can feel. :D

↡ Advertisement