Civic 1.8 vs Altis 1.6

Lovethecars

Is there anyone who can share with me the difference between the Civic 1.8 and Altis 1.6 - in terms of the drive and fuel consumption and etc...

Intending to purchase a used car for short-term drive - around 2006 or 2007 cars...

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

The answer is pretty straightforward if you consider FC. Altis is the one.. Civic look more sporty, but since you are driving short term, then outlook is irrelevant.

• Praise 1

The answer is pretty straightforward if you consider FC. Altis is the one.. Civic look more sporty, but since you are driving short term, then outlook is irrelevant.

but what's your opinion on the drive of these 2 cars?

but what's your opinion on the drive of these 2 cars?

Well, I had driven both models before. I would say both have own merits. I guess you can spend some time at mega mart in Ubi and test drive them. Cos the feeling is very selective one..

Go for Civic if you are going for a more sporty drive. The Altis suspension is soft. Fuel consumption depending on your right foot coz I find the two not much of a difference.

Civic has a lot of blind spot though. Altis all round visibility is better. Civic's turning circle is also bigger. Honda's Vtec is smooth and sweet but if it feels rough means engine oil level is low and it's probably leaking. Altis also has better interior sound insulation. Civic tire noise can be quite loud due to firmer suspension.

There are PI and AD models. Those "VTIS" has paddle shifts, foglights, HIDs, rear seats cannot fold and factory headunit. PI units dun have these things.

Must look out for leaks coz when I sold my 06 Civic FD1 the engine head is leaking, gearbox leaking and hydraulic steering is leaking. A couple of years before I sold it I changed the front and rear suspension, lower arms and engine mounts. Any car reach this stage sure to have plenty of leaks coz it's wear and tear on the oil seals. Can last more dan 5 years already very good liao as I didn't touch any of those things.

• Praise 1

Left with a year or two to go if you are damn lucky you will get either one in good condition. But I doubt it coz most owners like me will not bother when it's left with a year or two. If it's a 5year old car I will say the condition is still good. But for a 8-9yo car it's time to say goodbye.

Edited by Watwheels

Depends you go for design or not? If design surely civic better than altis. The 06/07 altis design simply too 'uncle' liao. Lol.

Go for Civic if you are going for a more sporty drive. The Altis suspension is soft. Fuel consumption depending on your right foot coz I find the two not much of a difference.

Civic has a lot of blind spot though. Altis all round visibility is better. Civic's turning circle is also bigger. Honda's Vtec is smooth and sweet but if it feels rough means engine oil level is low and it's probably leaking. Altis also has better interior sound insulation. Civic tire noise can be quite loud due to firmer suspension.

There are PI and AD models. Those "VTIS" has paddle shifts, foglights, HIDs, rear seats cannot fold and factory headunit. PI units dun have these things.

Must look out for leaks coz when I sold my 06 Civic FD1 the engine head is leaking, gearbox leaking and hydraulic steering is leaking. A couple of years before I sold it I changed the front and rear suspension, lower arms and engine mounts. Any car reach this stage sure to have plenty of leaks coz it's wear and tear on the oil seals. Can last more dan 5 years already very good liao as I didn't touch any of those things.

My colleague also drives an 05 Civic and all his seals are leaking.

I would not pay a premium for Honda "reliability"

:D

• Praise 5

Left with a year or two to go if you are damn lucky you will get either one in good condition. But I doubt it coz most owners like me will not bother when it's left with a year or two. If it's a 5year old car I will say the condition is still good. But for a 8-9yo car it's time to say goodbye.

Quite true, 8 - 9 yo car is 50-50. Usually need a little repair/replacement. So remember to priced that in when nego.

How come my 9 years old conti has no leaks while a 5 years old jap has so many leaks.

It all depends on the driver. Just like why some ppl are always changing their tires while some hardly change them even though they drive the same car. For me the car will be pushed to the limit quite often. Japanese cars are light and responsive they are easily pushed to the redline.

• Praise 2

How come my 9 years old conti has no leaks while a 5 years old jap has so many leaks.

you cannot just compare the age, need to consider usage/mileage and driving habits

e,g, can we use a taxi to compare with your conti car

• Praise 3

Orrrrrh... You ji siao jap car on reliability. Get ready your kevlar vest.

Edited by Jellandross
  • Praise 3

My colleague also drives an 05 Civic and all his seals are leaking.

I would not pay a premium for Honda "reliability"

:D

Depends individually la, some people car have problem while some might not have, even though they are driving the same year/make/model.

Like i have a friend who bought one 05 used civic, until today no problem on the civic. Lol.

• Praise 2

I'm an ex owner of an altis 1.6 06 and civic 1.8 06.

Realistically speaking, the altis 1.6 06 is a much better bet. Better comfort, better FC, about same interior space as civic, lower insurance and road tax, much cheaper maintenance compared to a civic, even though people do say jap cars maintenance is cheaper in general.

My 06 civic has only 117k km when i sold it. Changed pretty hell lot of wear and tear parts over the years. engine head seals (due to leaking), coolant rubber pipe burst, front and rear shock absorbers (@ ~80k+ km), wheel bearings front and rear (@~110k km), lower left suspension arm (cracked..), and a piece of dunno what thing which causes the gearbox to be stuck in 'P' and u cant' engage it to 'D'. etc... Engine mounts were giving way as well, hydraulic steering also detected minor leaks. My friend change the whole steering rack at 200km mileage and it cost $900+..

my altis 06 has similar mileage but the only main wear and tear parts are brake pads, battery and tires. Change a leaky seal at engine area once for $40 and that's about it.

I think the firmer suspension on the civic is the culprit to the much higher wear and tear of parts. U do get a lot more road feedback from the cvic... When going over uneven roads, it can be jarring and it can be very uncomfortable for me. U may need to change a lot more wear and tear parts for the civic if u get one which is >100k km mileage. I mean why the hell do we have to change parts like wheel bearings at ~110k km??? and lower arm cracked? Its unheard of. and i don't even drive to industrial places or tuas areas!

Handling wise, the civic is not that fantastic in its stock condition, despite its double wishbone setup... U still get quite a lot of bodyroll round corners. Its I'm a relatively mild driver btw..

Both altis and civic are very stable at higher speeds (100km/h and >) Civic do gives u more 'road feel' though..

Spoke to a bro before who 'upgraded' from altis to civic just like me and both of us seriously regretted our decision. Now, i'm a happy owner of a new slyphy. :D (can see my review here http://www.mycarforum.com/topic/2638859-nissan-sylphy-feedbacks-please/page-17?do=findComment&comment=5469944)

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 6