Zenosyne: The Sense That Time Keeps Going Faster

Hydrocarbon

When I was 10, time seemed to go by so slowly. I had all the time in the world to do what I wanted. January seemed to never end. Though, December did seem to pass by a little faster than January did in that year. But, it was soon January again, time for school, time for friends, time for new learning.

Right now, time passed us by so fast. LKY's passing was more than a month ago. I had not much idea what happened to April.

Time. It seems not to be constant, but yet, all our instruments tell us that it is. A second is always a second. A year is always a year. Or is it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNgyEmYyQF4

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

young all we know was to have fun, waiting for christmas or CNY was like far far away....

when we get older, there are so many things to do and we rush from one thing to another, time flies..... but bonus time also seem to be far far away ....

The differential subjective perception of the passage of time is a well-known phenomenon. As we age, time seems to pass quicker. This is most often ascribed to our sense of "calendrical time" seeming to be geometric in nature. So a given period is reckoned in proportion to the total time elapsed since our consciousness started. To a 4 year old, a year is a quarter of his life, a seeming eternity. To a 40 year old, the same period is just 2.5%, a fleeting moment.

Note that I said "calendrical time", which is a phrase I just coined. I believe this is distinguishable from "contiguous time" (another coined phrase), which seems to pass at the same rate amongst observers of any age. When you're counting seconds or minutes while timing an event, time seems to pass exactly the same way whether you're 4 or 40.

↡ Advertisement