Audi A3 Sedan/Sportsback Owners - Check In

zerobim08

If it's a new 1.0l engine, I don't think it will be just a ECU job..

If you noticed the A3 1.4, A4 1.4 and Golf 1.4, they have about the same horse power ratings, either 122, or 150. Essentially, it's the same EA211 engine at 1.4L capacity. Unless I am wrong and they have different turbo kits, it will be the ECU programming differences that limit the horsepower, torque and indirectly fuel consumption (air/fuel feed ratio).

One thing to note though, if I remembered correctly, the DSG gearbox for the 1.4 TFSI engines can take maximum 280nm of torque. Tune whatever you want, but that is the max and the max is stretching it a bit, leading to premature wear and tear (best case) and broken gearbox (worse case). That's why you'll notice the 1.4 TFSI will never have more than 250nm of torque.

I had a Skoda Octavia 1.4T in china that was rated at 130 HP with 220nm of torque, I did a ECU retune to 150hp and 250nm. Over there they don't have the expertise to check. But in Singapore, they would know if you had done something to the programming, which may void your warranty.

Hope these info helps.

If you noticed the A3 1.4, A4 1.4 and Golf 1.4, they have about the same horse power ratings, either 122, or 150. Essentially, it's the same EA211 engine at 1.4L capacity. Unless I am wrong and they have different turbo kits, it will be the ECU programming differences that limit the horsepower, torque and indirectly fuel consumption (air/fuel feed ratio).

One thing to note though, if I remembered correctly, the DSG gearbox for the 1.4 TFSI engines can take maximum 280nm of torque. Tune whatever you want, but that is the max and the max is stretching it a bit, leading to premature wear and tear (best case) and broken gearbox (worse case). That's why you'll notice the 1.4 TFSI will never have more than 250nm of torque.

I had a Skoda Octavia 1.4T in china that was rated at 130 HP with 220nm of torque, I did a ECU retune to 150hp and 250nm. Over there they don't have the expertise to check. But in Singapore, they would know if you had done something to the programming, which may void your warranty.

Hope these info helps.

That gearbox codename is called DQ200.

If you noticed the A3 1.4, A4 1.4 and Golf 1.4, they have about the same horse power ratings, either 122, or 150. Essentially, it's the same EA211 engine at 1.4L capacity. Unless I am wrong and they have different turbo kits, it will be the ECU programming differences that limit the horsepower, torque and indirectly fuel consumption (air/fuel feed ratio).

Hope these info helps.

Precisely bro

The 1.4 was given a lower power for our market.

That may not apply to the 1.0 ..

That gearbox codename is called DQ200.

I think this is the generic codename for the dry-clutch dsg.  If I am not mistaken, there a few design variations to cater for different engine config/mounting (e.g. the older Jetta platform or the MQB platform)

If you noticed the A3 1.4, A4 1.4 and Golf 1.4, they have about the same horse power ratings, either 122, or 150. Essentially, it's the same EA211 engine at 1.4L capacity. Unless I am wrong and they have different turbo kits, it will be the ECU programming differences that limit the horsepower, torque and indirectly fuel consumption (air/fuel feed ratio).

Hope these info helps.

Base is the same 1.4L EA211 engine.  But the "default" 150hp A3 has COD and the A4 has the variable valve-lift feature.  Maybe some differences at the cam-shaft design to support these enhancements. ECU would be different as well to take into account those "enhancements".

Edited by zerobim08

3 cylinder engines are rorty gutsy things. They rev easily. I don't think the 1.0L will suffer much.

Like a cheetah running with 3 legs....just joking :)

Turbocharged

Like a cheetah running with 3 legs....just joking :)

Maybe my opinion is just colored optimistic with my experience riding with the PureTech 1.2L. :a-happy:

But if 1.0L 3 cylinder can pull a 1.5 ton Mondeo/Fusion around, I don't think it can't handle an A3.

It might even be more responsive due to being lighter.

But since there's only 3 cylinders I agree with the sentiment that it may have poorer refinement.

Some servicing updates for A3 owners. I went for my 45k service Fri.

Confirmed there is a gearbox firmware upgrade. Happy to report that it is now much smoother when in low gear/slow traffic.

I think the programming logic has changed. Now when press brake to slow down in gear 2 or 3, it will disengage the clutch (neutral) so there will not be jerk caused by engine braking. When you release brake, it will re-engage the clutch.

Note above is not always the case. There are still occasion where there is some jerk but intensity is reduced significantly.

One of the forummer here posted a sound bite of a clutch issue which sounded very similar to what I'm facing with my car. I took it back to Audi and the car came back with the clutch replaced. It's driving much better now. Thanks to that bro............

Some of you might want to pay attention to that as the clutch premature wearing out appears to be a common issue.

I think inspection is no issue.  I doubt inspection centre has the equipment to test power output.  The only consideration not doing it is voiding warranty.  

All Audi needs to do is to plug in the computer through the OBD and read the software, they'll noticed the difference as every other similar cars will have the same software code except for a chipped or software upgraded car.

My car battery went flat last night (after 19 months) in my office carpark.  Call the Audi recovery service and they changed battery at a cost ~$260.  They said battery warranty is one year so not covered.  Did any bros managed to get your battery changed FOC after one year?

I don't know how true, but the serviceman said battery lifespan nowadays is around 1 to 1.5 years  for our A3 due to many electronics components and the substantial standby power consumption even when car is not running.

Another info to share is after changing the battery, the serviceman needed to plug-in his PC to the car port and ran a battery adaptation/initialization program (took about 10 minutes).  He said it is to re-config and optimized all the electronic components power consumption to the new battery.  He said if you don't do this step the new battery lifespan can be shortened considerably.  

He said some owners who changed battery outside, their new battery died in less than a year.  Can't really tell whether it is truthful fact or just scare tactics.  But anyway, what is true is that a program is needed to be run after battery change.  Owners here who are contemplating changing battery outside may want to take note of this.  Also, I think $260 for the AGM-type battery (incl. off-site recovery) is pretty reasonable.

Did you use a DVR with a Park Mode?

That may drain batteries.. 

Once in while you gotta take the car out for a long drive... it helps. And it's such a pleasure in a A3 :)

On a separate note, it may be a good thing that I didn't commit during the warehouse sale. The same price is now available - 119k for the basic car.. 

I guess the reps are hungry.. 

My car battery went flat last night (after 19 months) in my office carpark.  Call the Audi recovery service and they changed battery at a cost ~$260.  They said battery warranty is one year so not covered.  Did any bros managed to get your battery changed FOC after one year?

I don't know how true, but the serviceman said battery lifespan nowadays is around 1 to 1.5 years  for our A3 due to many electronics components and the substantial standby power consumption even when car is not running.

Another info to share is after changing the battery, the serviceman needed to plug-in his PC to the car port and ran a battery adaptation/initialization program (took about 10 minutes).  He said it is to re-config and optimized all the electronic components power consumption to the new battery.  He said if you don't do this step the new battery lifespan can be shortened considerably.  

He said some owners who changed battery outside, their new battery died in less than a year.  Can't really tell whether it is truthful fact or just scare tactics.  But anyway, what is true is that a program is needed to be run after battery change.  Owners here who are contemplating changing battery outside may want to take note of this.  Also, I think $260 for the AGM-type battery (incl. off-site recovery) is pretty reasonable.

I had to change my battery last year December during the first servicing because I had to leave the car for 15 days travelling overseas. It didn't fail but the SA checked and found the voltage below acceptable level and they changed it FOC and I didn't know about it till they told me during handing over the car back to me.

Turbocharged

Don't sound that weird, 19 months is a pretty decent life out of a MF battery. I hear a lot of them 1.5 years is already normal.

Not surprised if there has to be some battery calibration done since contis like ours have so much electronics here and there.

Mine dead last week too. Paid the same amt. My batt was about 1 year 3 months old.

I dun think the batt was AGM. It is EFB i think.

↡ Advertisement