Audi A3 Sedan/Sportsback Owners - Check In

zerobim08

Think they cleared the new "current model" stock during the Car Expo sale... although you might fight a demo unit or two with PA at a good discount.

Unless you are worried about COE hikes or need a car urgently in Jan, there's very little reason to rush to book at the moment... there will be new shipments every 1-2 months.

And I won't be surprised if PA improves the specification in 2018.

Anyone (1.4L 8V) tried chip tuning? Heard you can easily push it to match A4's output, not sure if true?

Sld be able to match A4 output. Not far away. But the gearbox max torque is rated at 250nm. Dont tink can tahan much tune ups.
↡ Advertisement

Hi guys, anyone did any modification/improvement to the the handling of the car?

Driving a A3 sportback now, previously driving an Alfa 159. I am on 17 inch rims and PS4 tyres.

I know Audis are not famed for their handling, but I feel the car is quite twitchy/ unstable and not confident inspiring while corning and even my wife commented on that too.

I know i can't be comparing an Audi to an Alfa handling wise, but even my family's Volvo S80 feels more stable than the A3 in the corners!  [dizzy]

Other then handling part, the A3 is a very smooth and fuel efficient car (FC ranges from 13-16km/l). Just pity about the handling part, maybe the car is too light?

• Praise 2

Hi guys, anyone did any modification/improvement to the the handling of the car?

Driving a A3 sportback now, previously driving an Alfa 159. I am on 17 inch rims and PS4 tyres.

I know Audis are not famed for their handling, but I feel the car is quite twitchy/ unstable and not confident inspiring while corning and even my wife commented on that too.

I know i can't be comparing an Audi to an Alfa handling wise, but even my family's Volvo S80 feels more stable than the A3 in the corners! [dizzy]

Other then handling part, the A3 is a very smooth and fuel efficient car (FC ranges from 13-16km/l). Just pity about the handling part, maybe the car is too light?

Yo C, A3 now ah :D

Maybe the steering is too light that's why. For starters, change to a coilover and bigger rims/wider tyres should help.

• Praise 1

My A3 is on 18" with PS4 & stock suspension .. and thought it does help with grip especially when cornering.

Not sure what you mean by "twitchy". The Alfa 159 and S80 are hardly "good handlers" but being larger and heavily, would probably give some a sense of stability that an A3 may not as its lighter. A3's steering is lighter too and initial response is perhaps marginally quicker, which may explain the twitch. I have to qualify though that my experience with Alfa 159 is limited to a test drive of a used car a year plus back.

I was on the stock 16" rim with Pirelli for a month before changing to the 18"... and you definitely "feel" the road surface (bumps and all) quite abit more.

Edited by thedryvr

I placed a refundable deposit subject to the test drive. This is to ensure the colour of my choice will be reserved for me.

Looking at this thread, it looks like it's not getting good vibes...

I know i can't be comparing an Audi to an Alfa handling wise, but even my family's Volvo S80 feels more stable than the A3 in the corners!  [dizzy]

Other then handling part, the A3 is a very smooth and fuel efficient car (FC ranges from 13-16km/l). Just pity about the handling part, maybe the car is too light?

Don't know if it's because I'm noob, but when I use sport mode during cornering I find the handling and suspension quite firm and acceptable

Don't know if it's because I'm noob, but when I use sport mode during cornering I find the handling and suspension quite firm and acceptable

Go see doctor. I think your mind got problem. haha.. Just kidding. A3 don't have dynamic sports suspension la.

Hmm could be, but the road in my carpark is fairly even and a long stretch to the main road .Not sure if the tyres are causing the noise though, the noise is audible when I had my stock 16" wheels on, and I just recently changed to 17" however the noise is still the same as before. PA did changed my multi-clutch during the first check however this rumbling noise is still ever present.. hopefully it's sensitivity on my part, but my dad is the one who raised this noise issue to me in the first place

Been driving the A3 sportsback for the last two years, just changed to Conti premium contact, there is a difference but noticed it getting "noisier" if the tyre pressure goes down after a few weeks. Perhaps it is the transmissionn tunnel or bottom chasis design that cause road noise to be present for this MQB platform. Maybe soundclad from Tuffkote would resolve this. It did for my previous ride, an Octavia Mark 4.

I'm also driving the A6L at my work place, it definitely is different in terms of NVH but handling wise, both have the same Audi feel of stability and road presence. The A3 feels a lot more agile though.

(edited)

Been driving the A3 sportsback for the last two years, just changed to Conti premium contact, there is a difference but noticed it getting "noisier" if the tyre pressure goes down after a few weeks. Perhaps it is the transmissionn tunnel or bottom chasis design that cause road noise to be present for this MQB platform. Maybe soundclad from Tuffkote would resolve this. It did for my previous ride, an Octavia Mark 4.

I'm also driving the A6L at my work place, it definitely is different in terms of NVH but handling wise, both have the same Audi feel of stability and road presence. The A3 feels a lot more agile though.

Didn't the car come with this Conti PC tyres when you got it?  Don't quite like this tyre.  Seems to wear out quite fast and become noisy after 20K km.  

Not sure why the car recommended tyre pressure at 250kPa (maybe for FC). If you pump at that pressure, the car feels very floaty/bumpy and there is virtually very little road feel from the steering.  Now I use 220 and it is much better.

Edited by zerobim08

Didn't the car come with this Conti PC tyres when you got it?  Don't quite like this tyre.  Seems to wear out quite fast and become noisy after 20K km.  

Not sure why the car recommended tyre pressure at 250kPa (maybe for FC). If you pump at that pressure, the car feels very floaty/bumpy and there is virtually very little road feel from the steering.  Now I use 220 and it is much better.

My batch came with goodyear. The pressure that I find that is ideal is 230. The conti premium contact wears out faster than usual because it's meant for comfort but road holding is not bad. My car seldom drive, maybe 9 to 10k KM per year so its ok for me. I change tyres every two years anyway.

I wanted Bridgestone Turanza, dunno what is the latest but swear by it. Unfortunately, the last time i went to change tyres, they didn't have that. But now that you mention, next change I'd insist on it or Michelin.

(edited)

The new A3 1.0t - some differences:

1.0t  Power 115 (5000-5500rpm)  Torque 200Nm (2000-3500rpm)

1.4t  Power 125 (5000-6000rpm)  Torque 200Nm (1400-4000rpm)

Seems like the max torque for 1.0t is reached at higher rpm and range is narrower as well.

http://www.completecar.ie/car-reviews/article/Audi/A3/A3_Sportback_1.0_TFSI/997/6075/2016-Audi-A3-Sportback-1.0-TFSI-review.html

Alone among the A3 line-up, this new 1.0 TFSI - and the 1.6-litre TDI diesel - are equipped with torsion beam rear suspension,...

Not sure whether the Singapore specs is as above.  The outgoing 1.4t has multi-link.

Edited by zerobim08

Neutral Newbie

Hi guys, not really an owner.. but lease the A3 ambiente for 2 years. after driving this for a month really enjoyed the drive. just drove to KL & Melaka with full load of passengers n luggage comfortably.. cruise at 160km - 180 km. tested it at 210km & i noe stilll can go more. average for KM/L for KL trip was arnd 11km/l.. in SGP with city & expressway arnd 14++km/l ..

have a noob question, currently on 18'' shoes with 7.5j offset of 54. i was offered a vossen 18'' wheel with an offset of 8j 35, would it protrude outward or inwards? any issues should i worry bout? Thanks in advance.

Edited by ezys

Hi guys, not really an owner.. but lease the A3 ambiente for 2 years. after driving this for a month really enjoyed the drive. just drove to KL & Melaka with full load of passengers n luggage comfortably.. cruise at 160km - 180 km. tested it at 210km & i noe stilll can go more. average for KM/L for KL trip was arnd 11km/l.. in SGP with city & expressway arnd 14++km/l ..

have a noob question, currently on 18'' shoes with 7.5j offset of 54. i was offered a vossen 18'' wheel with an offset of 8j 35, would it protrude outward or inwards? any issues should i worry bout? Thanks in advance.

wow.  you tested at 210km/h...is the car still safe at this speed given its light weight? 

I don't think I ever will have the courage to test it at that speed.

Neutral Newbie

yup really tested to 210km/hr.. set the speeding alarm at 190km/hr n press it to 210km.. nt really light weight.. cause with full load of 4 adults n luggage.. wud have been more stable.. if it was lowered but wont recommend to test unless ur confident. 

yup really tested to 210km/hr.. set the speeding alarm at 190km/hr n press it to 210km.. nt really light weight.. cause with full load of 4 adults n luggage.. wud have been more stable.. if it was lowered but wont recommend to test unless ur confident.

Seriously? No offence man, but I find it a little hard to believe. Cos I have driven the A3 sedan on NSH towards KL, full load in boot with one other adult and a child. The fastest I went was 178km/h and the car chassis started vibrating.

Did you like switch off the ESC control?

Btw I'm on the stock rims and run flat tyres.

The new A3 1.0t - some differences:

1.0t Power 115 (5000-5500rpm) Torque 200Nm (2000-3500rpm)

1.4t Power 125 (5000-6000rpm) Torque 200Nm (1400-4000rpm)

Seems like the max torque for 1.0t is reached at higher rpm and range is narrower as well.

http://www.completecar.ie/car-reviews/article/Audi/A3/A3_Sportback_1.0_TFSI/997/6075/2016-Audi-A3-Sportback-1.0-TFSI-review.html

Not sure whether the Singapore specs is as above. The outgoing 1.4t has multi-link.

Yucks! I'm glad I got the 1.4 tfsi version. This 1.0t sounds floozy. Flatter to deceive.

Neutral Newbie

yup bro.. did at 210km/hr.. felt abit 'floaty' tats all possibly due to the normal springs height.. as for the ESC i think it was On.. wen got the car .. tried to experiment with the buttons.. got an alarm wen pressed the ESC. so i press back.. never touch it since..  

yup bro.. did at 210km/hr.. felt abit 'floaty' tats all possibly due to the normal springs height.. as for the ESC i think it was On.. wen got the car .. tried to experiment with the buttons.. got an alarm wen pressed the ESC. so i press back.. never touch it since..

Wow, I got to try 210km/h someday. 178km/h was awesome already. Up to 150km/h now I "gian" already no "shiok".

210kmh not impossible for A3.

In some forums in the past when Vios was the de facto choice for the WRX-money-no-enuf crowd, some claim they can outrun Porsche ok?

↡ Advertisement