Audi A3 Sedan/Sportsback Owners - Check In

zerobim08

This is an A3 thread, one of the forumers (post 2725) mentioned that he felt A3 pick up was better than the 116/216 and I just respectfully questioned (post 2727) if he was sure and went on to explain why I felt the BMWs are faster at pick up.

I don't know why you then decide to challenge my theory which is fair comment I suppose and now u tell me you not comparing a3 vs 116/216 when that was the basis of comparison in the first place. The comparison with the taxi is to explain why diesel torques are superior at standstill and show that a petrol(civic) in my case couldn't match the taxi cos it was diesel.

It was not any intention to race, challenge or whatever but you choose to interpret in this way and you even mentioned "how you know the taxi challenging you" when all I was trying to do was to show how superior diesel torque is.

This is also my last post on this and I hope you can read again what I posted and understand what I was trying to put across.

okok.. I got you. All you wanna say is based on feel. ok got it. I totally understand what you trying to put across. Simply put, "diesel has higher torque and hence, it should pick up faster than petrol variant A3 1.0 turbo". Anybody come and tell you otherwise, you will feel amm dui and use taxi as a comparison. First, you need to find out how many CC is taxi's engine. The CC of the engine mated with Turbo do affect the pick up. You probably not mechanical or engineer train, but try driving different car and you will know what I mean by cc of engine with turbo will display different kind of pick up.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Thks for your explanation.

In my view, in normal acceleration; petrol will win I do agree.

But from standstill because diesel engines reach their max torque at lower rpm, they do take off quicker but will lose out as petrol engines pick up speed.

Anyway, the crux of the argument was between a3 vs 116/216 specifically from standstill(pick up) which is what the posts were about and since the a3 is having lower torque at higher rpm, think my point is justified. 

Hi Spring,

no offence. im just being objective as an engineer. the time taken for petrol engine to reach 1500 rpm will be shorter than the time taken for diesel engine to reach 1200rpm due to inertia and stroke length of pistons. so technically the petrol engine reaches it peak rpm before the diesel engine (look at time from pressing the accelerator) instead of just looking at RPM figures.

Eg, the bicycle wheel vs car tire example.

Still... I am supportive of drag races to prove the points raised! after all theory is just theory! (don't jio me please I don't want spend more money repairing my a3 lol)

• Praise 4

(edited)

Hi Spring,

no offence. im just being objective as an engineer. the time taken for petrol engine to reach 1500 rpm will be shorter than the time taken for diesel engine to reach 1200rpm due to inertia and stroke length of pistons. so technically the petrol engine reaches it peak rpm before the diesel engine (look at time from pressing the accelerator) instead of just looking at RPM figures.

Still... I am supportive of drag races to prove the points raised! after all theory is just theory! (don't jio me please I don't want spend more money repairing my a3 lol)

Just to add the transmission also affect.  ZF in the 116 shifts in what 150msec?? whereas the DSG in 20msec.  Going through all 8 gears the 116d already taken an extra 1 second hit.

Edited by zerobim08

Hi Spring,

Great explanation but I am more interested in why you have fallen out of love with your A3 if you don't mind sharing. Edited by littlecar
  • Praise 1

Hi Spring,

What caused the heart break between you and your Audi A3?

Great explanation but I am more interested in why you have fallen out of love with your A3 if you don't mind sharing.

Well no doubt  the car is really nice to drive and meets all my needs.  

But some things i do not agree with AD, like some items within 3 yr warranty is considered wear and tear instead of warranty.

also, battery issues which plague me every year. Having to wait 2-3hrs for audi service to change my battery without any prewarning of low batt is very disruptive. The usual time wasted back and forth to service centre to rectify some issues with car, left there for few days (within 3 yr warranty), also no offer of courtesy car (I asked).

Basically alot of wasted time and money spent on the this stock car. And i can only expect it to get worse in the next 3 years. I guess its normal for conti owners but I came from a reliable jap.

Edited by Zyrofillica
  • Praise 1

But some things i do not agree with AD, like some items within 3 yr warranty is considered wear and tear instead of warranty.

also, battery issues which plague me every year. Having to wait 2-3hrs for audi service to change my battery without any prewarning of low batt is very disruptive. The usual time wasted back and forth to service centre to rectify some issues with car, left there for few days (within 3 yr warranty), also no offer of courtesy car (I asked).

Basically alot of wasted time and money spent on the this stock car. And i can only expect it to get worse in the next 3 years. I guess its normal for conti owners but I came from a reliable jap.

Thanks for elaborating. I come from a VW so these are pretty "normal" issues to me though yes I have been told by many that Japanese cars wouldn't encounter as much down time during the course of ownership haha. The battery issue seems fairly common on the forum. Average length of time for change appears to be 12 to 18 months. I thought courtesy car is the exception rather than the norm; not sure if other brands offer that as a matter of course. Anyway, appreciate your sharing!

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Hi,

How's the pick up for A3? Just wondering if it is underpowered as driving a 2L jap car.

Is the fuel consumption good?

• Praise 1

Nothing to argue about lah.

This is a A3 thread so A3 is bestest.

In the 1-series thread, 116d is bestest.

• Praise 4

I tested a4 n 216d AT. Based on butt feel both quite fast to reach 100kph.. anyway, in spore city roads no diff one. Except highway, whole spore is city state..

so unclear? warranty doesn't state what covered / not covered? i think must email for b&w..

better to sell after warranty unless ur "love" for the car if any supercedes everything..

admittedly, was tempted previously n feelin still lingers, but always back to reality when come across such sharing n conviction that such cars r meant for the more well-heeled or yolo-ers..

This is an A3 thread, one of the forumers (post 2725) mentioned that he felt A3 pick up was better than the 116/216 and I just respectfully questioned (post 2727) if he was sure and went on to explain why I felt the BMWs are faster at pick up.

I don't know why you then decide to challenge my theory which is fair comment I suppose and now u tell me you not comparing a3 vs 116/216 when that was the basis of comparison in the first place. The comparison with the taxi is to explain why diesel torques are superior at standstill and show that a petrol(civic) in my case couldn't match the taxi cos it was diesel.

It was not any intention to race, challenge or whatever but you choose to interpret in this way and you even mentioned "how you know the taxi challenging you" when all I was trying to do was to show how superior diesel torque is.

This is also my last post on this and I hope you can read again what I posted and understand what I was trying to put across.

I'm with u on this diesel engine thingy... am a mechanical guy by training.

Diesel engine has much better torque than petrol one by design especially on the lower ends... regardless of turbo boosts; which explains why diesel engines are used solely in the lorries and heavy vehicles.

Just compare any similar cars and you will always find diesel engine having much higher torque than petrol's.... just dont compare it with those v12/16 petrol engines.

• Praise 1

I tested a4 n 216d AT. Based on butt feel both quite fast to reach 100kph.. anyway, in spore city roads no diff one. Except highway, whole spore is city state..

Your butt must be very fleshy and numb :) to not feel the difference between 8.5s and 10.9s.

• Dislike 1

I think there is no argument over which car has more torque. It's as clear as day. And pretty much on paper. :)

Hi,

How's the pick up for A3? Just wondering if it is underpowered as driving a 2L jap car.

Is the fuel consumption good?

It's right in the ballpark.

For example, a Mazda 6 has abt 160bhp/210Nm with a 1,400++ kg weight and does 0-100kmh in 10.5s

A3 has 45bhp and 10Nm less, but less weight and probably quicker gear set up meant it's 0-100kmh is slightly quicker.

Both are hardly hot rods

Your butt must be very fleshy and numb :) to not feel the difference between 8.5s and 10.9s.

ya very numb; even elantra & mz2 feels fast to me..

so i concluded since not fighting for that couple of seconds on the road, i'd b fine with a number of bnb cars n suv..

after a while, it's lidat, until u get a sub 7s century sprint car.. then the vicious cycle continues..

I take beedio, don't worry won't stomp one

↡ Advertisement