Audi A3 Sedan/Sportsback Owners - Check In

zerobim08

With that kind of price, might as well go and buy Passat. Since they share the same gearbox. At least got a more powerful and more roomy cabin. The downfall of A3 is the gearbox. Dry clutch gearbox in our environment is a no go.

Hey Passion,

A3 is with dry clutch gearbox and already known issue ?? :(

Tot this S-tronic DSG is not the reknown DSG issue of VW or they are the same ??  :(

Colleague sold  2 years old Golf and moved to preown BMW 320i after twice clutch failure ....

Cheers,

Richard

The A3 is a driver’s car rather than a gadget filled car because they didn’t include as many gadgets to keep the OMV down and pad their margins.

The 1.4t engine is sweet.

But do consider that the A3 is a vios sized car. If you need space the Impreza is larger and more roomy.

Also check out the Golf 7.5. Less costly and uses a 1.4t.

Not the same badge but many more features and space is the same.

For a bit more, the new merc A class is very promising.

Hi therock,

Was looking at the Golf and was hoping for 1.4t since do not need space at all but same world reknown DSG gearbox issue like my colleague means I would not dare venture there.

Always like merc class but think pushing it w.r.t. $ and no end ... else 150k for XC40 cos preferred SUV/CrossOver or whatever higher ride.

Cheers,

Richard

Remember the depreciation only holds true if you keep it for all ten years :)

Hi therock,

Yes and will likely do so.

Selling Impreza also will not be fun and A3 still ok after the initial years I believe as with typical conti.

Cheers,

Richard

↡ Advertisement

Hey Passion,

Tot this S-tronic DSG is not the reknown DSG issue of VW or they are the same ??  :(

Colleague sold  2 years old Golf and moved to preown BMW 320i after twice clutch failure ....

Cheers,

Richard

Hi therock,

Was looking at the Golf and was hoping for 1.4t since do not need space at all but same world reknown DSG gearbox issue like my colleague means I would not dare venture there.

Always like merc class but think pushing it w.r.t. $ and no end ... else 150k for XC40 cos preferred SUV/CrossOver or whatever higher ride.

Cheers,

Richard

Hi therock,

Selling Impreza also will not be fun and A3 still ok after the initial years I believe as with typical conti.

Cheers,

Richard

Hi Richard,

I have the 1.4T for about 3.5 years now.  Coming to 80K km now.  No GB issue ( clutch or MU ).  No other issues except battery needed to be change about every 20 months.  During my 60K km major service, apparently the GB doesnt need any servicing (i.e. no oil change).  PA said the newer batch of GB oil is sealed for life.  

Recently bought the 4 years servicing package at $2.1K (after my 3 year free servicing was over).  It includes one major service+3 normal service and 4 intermediate oil change and 1 free battery change.

A3 is a good car for me.  Didnt regret getting it despite all the negativity here (and elsewhere) about the dry DSG gearbox.  It is a very good drive as well (snappy and nimble).  Interior is top-notch.  I like the FC as well.  I can get average 17km/l (using pump calculation).  Compared to 12 km/l on the last gen Altis at the same driving pattern.

• Praise 1

Hi Richard,

I have the 1.4T for about 3.5 years now.  Coming to 80K km now.  No GB issue ( clutch or MU ).  No other issues except battery needed to be change about every 20 months.  During my 60K km major service, apparently the GB doesnt need any servicing (i.e. no oil change).  PA said the newer batch of GB oil is sealed for life.  

Recently bought the 4 years servicing package at $2.1K (after my 3 year free servicing was over).  It includes one major service+3 normal service and 4 intermediate oil change and 1 free battery change.

A3 is a good car for me.  Didnt regret getting it despite all the negativity here (and elsewhere) about the dry DSG gearbox.  It is a very good drive as well (snappy and nimble).  Interior is top-notch.  I like the FC as well.  I can get average 17km/l (using pump calculation).  Compared to 12 km/l on the last gen Altis at the same driving pattern.

Hi Zerobim08.

Tks tks for the sharing.

Good to know as a used 1.4T is one alternative but I see that previous warranty is only 3 yrs vs current 5 yrs for the 1.0T.

2.1k for 4x service is ok I guess as Motor Image for my forester charges 1.4k for 4x service but certainly not 4 years as 1 year is =>20k or about 2 years nia since service interval at MI is every 10km ...  I actually service outside alternately every 5-7k km as I am using Motul 300v reportedly no good for 10k km.

Yes, the FC for 1.4T was reportedly like the current 1.0T which is a plus.

Cheers !

Richard

Bro

Rent that 1.0t

Try before you buy... that’s the best

New car smell, warranty, supposed improved gearbox... and the hatch is German ...

There is an Audi roadshow in Suntec City this week.

Located at the atrium near Marche.

Do check out the deals there.

[thumbsup]

Hi Dach,

Shit .. missed this and hope not too late.

Will call/visit tmrw.

Cheers.

Richard

Bro

Rent that 1.0t

Try before you buy... thatâs the best

New car smell, warranty, supposed improved gearbox... and the hatch is German ...

Hi therock,

Checked earlier that week on their website but did not call, do not seems to have 1.0t to rent ... only bigger audi.

Will check out roadshow and call to rent tmrw .. test drove the impreza 2.0l 5D again and look nice, cool eyesight system/bsm/tpms/awd but acceleration too linear from standstill although reaches >70kmhr reasonably ok.

Cheers.

Richard

Hi therock,

Checked earlier that week on their website but did not call, do not seems to have 1.0t to rent ... only bigger audi.

Will check out roadshow and call to rent tmrw .. test drove the impreza 2.0l 5D again and look nice, cool eyesight system/bsm/tpms/awd but acceleration too linear from standstill although reaches >70kmhr reasonably ok.

Cheers.

Richard

Hi dach,

Not too late ...

National Day Deals @ Audi Roadshow

23 Jul '18 - 29 Jul '18

East Atrium

Cheers.

Richard

Supersonic

Hi Dach,

Shit .. missed this and hope not too late.

Will call/visit tmrw.

Cheers.

Richard

It should end over the weekend.

Such shows usually span for a week.

Remember bro

Your wife is the driver... so how it accelerates may be less important.. the A3 is a nice compact car for her if she alone. It’s about the same size as the Vios .. the Impreza will be one size up.. around the size or legroom of the A4..

Me wife likes A3 SB most among the few HB we saw for it's executive look.

I decided and made other choice for her.

Be it mine or hers, women can choose but the man decides.

(edited)

Remember bro

Your wife is the driver... so how it accelerates may be less important.. the A3 is a nice compact car for her if she alone. It’s about the same size as the Vios .. the Impreza will be one size up.. around the size or legroom of the A4..

Hi therock,

Indeed wife is the driver but tends to forget cos somehow involved and also responsible on all car matters.

Leave it to her, think she have qualm on both .... sluggish impreza and hollow A3.

Was very much easier decision to make on booking the harrier turbo and then switched to the forester fxt ... lol !

Cheers,

Richard

Me wife likes A3 SB most among the few HB we saw for it's executive look.

I decided and made other choice for her.

Be it mine or hers, women can choose but the man decides.

Hi Hamburger,

Waaah steady !.Jap wife who bring you slipper every evening also ??  keke !

Please also share final car decided by you to consider.

Thanks and cheers !

Richard

Edited by richard_crl032
  • Praise 1

IMO, the A3 wins on prestige and the chassis, the interior is good.

But the Jap made Impreza is solid, reliable, easy to maintain, roomy and safer - more active and passive safety features (this is my personal opinion).

If I don't mind changing cars in a few years, then I will try out the A3 - but my practical side would take the Golf 7.5 instead..

If I need to drive a car for 10 years, I will take the Impreza.. but then I will also look at the Corolla and such too... 

If you resources allow it, I will also look hard at the B180. 1.6T, safest in it's class, more legroom than the E Class with decent FC. Parts easy to obtain once the warranty is over, and it's made in Germany.. 

But once again YMMV and just my own view..

• Praise 1

Hi therock,

Indeed wife is the driver but tends to forget cos somehow involved and also responsible on all car matters.

Leave it to her, think she have qualm on both .... sluggish impreza and hollow A3.

Was very much easier decision to make on booking the harrier turbo and then switched to the forester fxt ... lol !

Cheers,

Richard

Hi Hamburger,

Waaah steady !.Jap wife who bring you slipper every evening also ??  keke !

Please also share final car decided by you to consider.

Thanks and cheers !

Richard

I think the A3 is up for new model next year.  You may want to wait if you are not in a hurry.

• Praise 3

Hi bros,

Very informative review with caveat to look at only the cvt version while some competition are also higher grades not available here e.g. mazda 2.0:

https://www.caranddriver.com/subaru/impreza

Cheers.

Richard

In short against competition:

Pros:

- Safety, safety, safety

- Low cost of ownership

Personal: 5D is great looking

Cons:

- Sluggish

- High FC

Personal: low resale value

Looks like good choice as 2nd family car for wife.

Cheers.

Richard

I think the A3 is up for new model next year. You may want to wait if you are not in a hurry.

Yup. Think I posted in this thread before. Earlier this year when I went to an Audi roadshow, SE told me if not in rush, A3 getting an update/refresh in 2019 or 2020.

Yup. Think I posted in this thread before. Earlier this year when I went to an Audi roadshow, SE told me if not in rush, A3 getting an update/refresh in 2019 or 2020.

Frankly when I viewed the A3 SB, somehow somewhere the side profile has a hint of aged. That kind of swayed my decision.

• Praise 1

Hey Passion,

Tot this S-tronic DSG is not the reknown DSG issue of VW or they are the same ?? :(

Colleague sold 2 years old Golf and moved to preown BMW 320i after twice clutch failure ....

Cheers,

Richard

Hi therock,

Cheers,

Richard

Hi therock,

Cheers,

Richard

They will tell you is different from VW. But they are the same DQ200 dry clutch. Never spoil is just luck. Try driving constantly in city driving. Clutch engage and disengage. See how fast it spoil. Coming from a dry clutch owner, so I speak from experience. Maybe the newer version of the dry clutch is better... I’m not sure also.
  • Praise 1