Audi A3 Sedan/Sportsback Owners - Check In

zerobim08

unfortunately i didnt test but i am old school type lah. to me 1.0 to drive that body is just too much even with turbo and 3 cylinders. I don't have the appetite to be test bed but preferred proven technology. 

I heard this A3 turbo is impressive compared to the Nissan QQ. well let's see how it goes for a couple of years. I am sure all cars will be turbo if proven good. Enjoy your ride. 

F1, V6 1.6L turbo generates nearly 900bhp. yr missing the point of turbo

F1, V6 1.6L turbo generates nearly 900bhp. yr missing the point of turbo

I hope I didn't give a wrong impression that turbo cannot deliver power. Power requires energy be it via normal combustion or turbo. So those F1, V6 engines definitely will burn more to deliver them. Again, with advanced technology, they will burn less than before to deliver maybe even higher power.  [laugh] 

However, I am not ready (that is only me lah) for this technology yet. I heard A3 1.0 turbo pick up was impressive. Let's see how it performs over time. They have just switch from 1.4 down to 1.0 but when you watch youtube, most oversea models are not 1.0 turbo. Wonder why [confused]

• Praise 1

I hope I didn't give a wrong impression that turbo cannot deliver power. Power requires energy be it via normal combustion or turbo. So those F1, V6 engines definitely will burn more to deliver them. Again, with advanced technology, they will burn less than before to deliver maybe even higher power. [laugh]

However, I am not ready (that is only me lah) for this technology yet. I heard A3 1.0 turbo pick up was impressive. Let's see how it performs over time. They have just switch from 1.4 down to 1.0 but when you watch youtube, most oversea models are not 1.0 turbo. Wonder why [confused]

I tried the mini 1.2 3cyl turbo. Performs better than altis n mazda 3.

On paper audi 1.0 is about 10 secs 0-100, like the mini.

tested the a3 1.0t recently.

nice car with smooth engine without much vibration when idling, ride is quiet (not sure if change to a 18" low profile tyre) and finishing feel premium and clean too. don't compare it with a 2.0t machine, else you will be disappointed. handling is way better than jap n kimchi car.

the only problem was there seem to have a metal grinding sound coming from the gearbox when I pushed the car hard changing from gear 2 to gear 3. there was also a slight jerk from gear 1 to gear 2 when move off the car at slow speed. other than that a3 is a nice car without paying through your nose, if you are looking for the brand.

Not bad, you can pick this up.

I drove the A3 1.4 for 3.5 years. The D2 to D3 gear change is not so smooth occasionally. For D1 to D2, I did not experience any issue.

Recently, sold it off.

• Praise 1

Not bad, you can pick this up.

I drove the A3 1.4 for 3.5 years. The D2 to D3 gear change is not so smooth occasionally. For D1 to D2, I did not experience any issue.

Recently, sold it off.

did you encounter the frequent engine oil top up situation? apparently, my fren's a3 needs to do self top-up of engine oil at every 5k km intervals...and he is grumbling abt it. 

• Praise 1

did you encounter the frequent engine oil top up situation? apparently, my fren's a3 needs to do self top-up of engine oil at every 5k km intervals...and he is grumbling abt it.

Nope! At least not mine which has been driven for 2 years now. 2 servicing so far and no top up until the servicing.
  • Praise 1

what about made in japan vs hungary?

are there any major problems (other than the gearbox issue) with cars being made in hungary?

The A3 made in Hungary, like Italian cars, depends on the day of the week it was built. Edited by merc280v6
  • Praise 1

tested the a3 1.0t recently.

nice car with smooth engine without much vibration when idling, ride is quiet (not sure if change to a 18" low profile tyre) and finishing feel premium and clean too. don't compare it with a 2.0t machine, else you will be disappointed. handling is way better than jap n kimchi car.

the only problem was there seem to have a metal grinding sound coming from the gearbox when I pushed the car hard changing from gear 2 to gear 3. there was also a slight jerk from gear 1 to gear 2 when move off the car at slow speed. other than that a3 is a nice car without paying through your nose, if you are looking for the brand.

Errrr ... the pesky DSG (S-Tronic) acting up so early, even in a test drive car?

Foresee a needed MU replacement very soon

DQ200 GB low rpm judder once awhile will encounter, does it mean need to change MU? So far so good for 1.0T. Driving style matters, if u keep inching during jams on D2... It does aggravate the GB much... Take good care of it and u will be fine.

DQ200 GB low rpm judder once awhile will encounter, does it mean need to change MU? So far so good for 1.0T. Driving style matters, if u keep inching during jams on D2... It does aggravate the GB much... Take good care of it and u will be fine.

my alfa judder so many years liao. it's normal for such mechanical systems especially on cold start.

juddering is usually due to clutch. u guys have 2 so need to pay double for clutches. unlikely it's MU cos tat usually means gear cannot even shift on occasions.

nothing much to take care. drive hard, clutch wear faster. MU has limited lifespan too but not so fast breakdown.

The A3 made in Hungary, like Italian cars, depends on the day of the week it was built.

Actually, the bottom line is the regulations.  Global regulations in place making car makers doing things differently.

The A3 1.4tfsi is capable of 160Bhp and 250nm of torque.  Because to put it under Cat A, they detune the engine in the factory.

Even now coming out with the 1 litre engine for the A3 and A1s.  

The Gearbox is the same as the S3 or RS3... 

This engine is actually capable for much more! :)

Actually, the bottom line is the regulations.  Global regulations in place making car makers doing things differently.

The A3 1.4tfsi is capable of 160Bhp and 250nm of torque.  Because to put it under Cat A, they detune the engine in the factory.

Can't do much during warranty period (5 years for now)... Only can zhng cosmetic stuff.

Neutral Newbie

My mileage was 60K when I sold it off.

I went through 4 servicings. There was no top up of engine oil required before the 15K, 30K and 45K servicing.

However, I had to top up once before my 60K servicing. 

If the engine oil requires frequent top up, something could be wrong. For more info, refer to the below...

http://www.mycarforum.com/topic/2667940-audivw-engine-oil-comsumption/page-6

Just putting a reply here:
@Sdf4786k

Whilst I agree that the 1.0 is a downgrade from the 1.4 tsi, the specs have improved.

If they adopt the new gearbox from the Golf 7.5, this car will sell well.

The badge, the build and the body are all key selling points.

If you don't need so much space, and like a good FC, plus Conti interior build, it's a worthy consideration. 

A3 is state of the art junk. 1.0 with poverty specs. Meant for those who only think the world of a 4 ring badge.

The A3 was selling for 119k at their warehouse sale last year. 

And that was for a bare bones A3 (rental / Uber edition I suspect). 

So I would expect the price to be lower if the COE is at 36k. (was 50k or so last year).

Looking at Saturday car advertistment today.
These car prices are freeking cheap!
It's the same level as when COE $36,000 crash.

Audi A3 only $119,999.
Attrage only $71,999.
Kia and Hyundai all also super CHEAP.

I think the demand is super low and if car buyers don't buy these two weekends, the COE may crash to $1.
That is why AD are dangling super low car prices this weekends.

If buyers hold back this weekends, the COE may break below $30k in the second Oct bid....... huat Ah.

Just putting a reply here:

@Sdf4786k

Whilst I agree that the 1.0 is a downgrade from the 1.4 tsi, the specs have improved.

If they adopt the new gearbox from the Golf 7.5, this car will sell well.

The badge, the build and the body are all key selling points.

If you don't need so much space, and like a good FC, plus Conti interior build, it's a worthy consideration. 

The A3 was selling for 119k at their warehouse sale last year. 

And that was for a bare bones A3 (rental / Uber edition I suspect). 

So I would expect the price to be lower if the COE is at 36k. (was 50k or so last year).

The price of the sedan did went down to 116K when the COE was down to 36K mid Sep. 

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Audi Prices are more stable ..

It only moved between 123999 (coe around 50K) to where it is now 119999 (coe at 41K)

For most Premium brands, you only see fraction of reduction which is again the Premium you are paying a little less on CoE drops...

Look at your need and the Resale value in case if u need to sell...

Edited by Jega_m
  • Praise 1

Can you confirm it is the Wet Clutch 7 speed.

If it is, then the market for this is much more acceptable.

The fear has always been the weak point which is the Dry clutch / MU 

I also notice it comes with drive select. Just not sure if it comes with Magnetic / DCC ride as well.

Audi Prices are more stable ..

It only moved between 123999 (coe around 50K) to where it is now 119999 (coe at 41K)

For most Premium brands, you only see fraction of reduction which is again the Premium you are paying a little less on CoE drops...

Look at your need and the Resale value in case if u need to sell...

I think its all subjective to the price that is sold. If you need to sell, the less you go, the easier it is to unload.

But I do notice, conti such as renault and jap such as inifinti has a longer time to unload.

Same as Skoda. Its quite a competent car. Just that the market thinks other wise

↡ Advertisement