Accident with Motorcycle

_h_r_

(edited)

Hi All,

I just had an accident with a motorcycle and would like to seek your kind opinions on the party who was at fault.

I was stationary at a red traffic light on a bi-directional two lane road (one lane for each direction) with single continuous white line in between the 2 lanes. After checking my left side mirror and my left blind spot, I unlocked my car doors for my rear passenger to alight from the left. As my rear passenger opened the door, a motorcycle crashed into the opened door as he tried to overtake me on the left by squeezing between the curb and my vehicle. The motorcyclist fell and sustained minor injury to his leg. His motorcycle and my door were also slightly damaged. Who do you think is at fault?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by _h_r_
↡ Advertisement
  • Dislike 1

Hi All,

I just had an accident with a motorcycle and would like to seek your kind opinions on the party who was at fault.

I was stationary at a traffic light on a bi-directional two lane road (one lane for each direction) with single continuous white line in between the 2 lanes. After checking my left side mirror and my left blind spot, I unlocked my car doors for my rear passenger to alight from the left. As my rear passenger opened the door, a motorcycle crashed into the opened door as he tried to overtake me on the left by squeezing between the curb and my vehicle. The motorcyclist fell and sustained minor injury to his leg. His motorcycle and my door were also slightly damaged. Who do you think is at fault?

Thanks in advance!

Sounds like taxi driver style of driving.

Stop at roadside, no signal lights, drop/pick-up pasenger. Aiyoh.....

(edited)

Sounds like taxi driver style of driving.

Stop at roadside, no signal lights, drop/pick-up pasenger. Aiyoh.....

I was stationary at a red light. Who do you think was at fault?

Edited by _h_r_

Bro ... if not wrong... highway code states cant stop within how many metres of traffic junction or light( i may be wrong) but still u WRONG... traffic junction u stop.. how people know u dropping people off

Twincharged

Anyway,you are too far away from the roadside/kerb,so the motorcycle can go thru,if you stopped nearer,he cannot go in,accident like this will not happen.

• Praise 3

Twincharged
(edited)

Both at fault. Motorcycle shouldn't overtake from the left but then the car must be stopped quite far from the kerb that a motorcycle can pass. If you have stopped nearer the kerb, there will be more space on the right and the motorcycle will naturally overtake from the right.

Edited by Nzy
  • Praise 1

(edited)

Bro ... if not wrong... highway code states cant stop within how many metres of traffic junction or light( i may be wrong) but still u WRONG... traffic junction u stop.. how people know u dropping people off

The traffic light was red. There were 1 or 2 cars ahead of me that were also stationary. According to highway code, I am allowed to alight passengers on lanes with single continuous white line in the centre.

Both at fault. Motorcycle shouldn't overtake from the left but then the car must be stopped quite far from the kerb that a motorcycle can pass. If you have stopped nearer the kerb, there will be more space on the right and the motorcycle will naturally overtake from the right.

So I am at fault because I did not go closer to the curb? Is there a rule stating this? I am not trying to be defensive but just trying to find some logic behind this.

Edited by _h_r_

You checked the left side mirror and left blind spot, how come didn't see the motorcycle.

Anyway, leave it to the insurer to decide who is right.

• Praise 5

(edited)

You checked the left side mirror and left blind spot, how come didn't see the motorcycle.

Anyway, leave it to the insurer to decide who is right.

Either I did not see the motorcyclist or he came from the centre of the lane before he overtook from the left. I will report the accident but I am not likely to file a claim. He does not appear to be wealthy and I feel quite bad about this since his bike was damaged and he sustained some minor injury.

Edited by _h_r_

Twincharged
(edited)

The traffic light was red. There were 1 or 2 cars ahead of me that were also stationary. According to highway code, I am allowed to alight passengers on lanes with single continuous white line in the centre.

So I am at fault because I did not go closer to the curb? Is there a rule stating this? I am not trying to be defensive but just trying to find some logic behind this.

Go read the road traffic act or btt again. Both states that if a car is going to stop for anything other than traffic, the car has to be close to the left side of the road and not cause obstruction. So if you are not stopped close to the side of the road when letting a passenger off, its wrong.

Anyway, its also wrong to let passenger off within a certain distance from a pedestrian crossing. If there is a traffic light, I think there should be a pedestrian crossing also.

Edited by Nzy

More likely you wrong. Dun think supposed to drop off passenger at traffic light.

Is this in the highway code? According to highway code, I am not allowed to drop off passenger only when there is zigzag yellow line.

Twincharged

Is this in the highway code? According to highway code, I am not allowed to drop off passenger only when there is zigzag yellow line.

Actually zigzag yellow line can let passenger off. Only double yellow zig zag line is no stopping.

Supercharged

From your descriptions, you stop 1 or 2 cars behind the traffic lights and seeing its red, you drop your pax off.

Highway Code, you are allow to drop pax off 6 meters from junction where there isn't any double yellow or single white zig zax lines provide it safe to do so.

Now the dispute is whether you are right or wrong in doing so.

As above, provided it is safe to do so.

So by opening doors and you happen to miss the biker, you had failed to check for safety.

Check under bola it also state you are 100% wrong.

http://www.skauto.com.sg/BOLA%20PRACTICES.pdf

SCENARIO 26

• Praise 1

Go read the road traffic act or btt again. Both states that if a car is going to stop for anything other than traffic, the car has to be close to the left side of the road and not cause obstruction. So if you are not stopped close to the side of the road when letting a passenger off, its wrong.

Anyway, its also wrong to let passenger off within a certain distance from a pedestrian crossing. If there is a traffic light, I think there should be a pedestrian crossing also.

Hmmm, I was close to the side of the road, but not close enough to prevent the motorcycle from squeezing through. There was a curb and railing so I could not be too close to the curb.

↡ Advertisement