Wrong size for my new Headunit

Ysc3

Twincharged

just bought a multi-function headunit from aliexpress ... told the seller the dimension of my current HU and he told me can fit.

got the package yesterday and went down to fix it this morning ... but once i took the new HU and placed in in front of my current HU, can see that the new HU is about 5mm longer and can't possibly fit the current faceplate.

anyone face this problem before ? tried to search online but these things cost more than to send it back to the seller for a refund and since my car is old model ... dunno have or not also.

any other work around other than to spend more at a shop?

post-2854-0-14150400-1430619779_thumb.jpg

↡ Advertisement

Not so sure about this your headunit, but generally, these double dins are standard dimensions.

Notice the black bezel around your new HU? it should rest against your existing grey frame, and not recessed like you thought it should be.

Usually, only original equipment can sit flush and look stock, unless it is customized for your specific model

(edited)

Double DIN should be all standard size. Most likely you need a new faceplate or another way is just take out your current faceplate, put in the new unit and just use without a faceplate.

There are shops that can do custom faceplates if you cant find a standard one for your car online.

Or if you don't mind, just cut (DIY or ask shop) your current faceplate.

Edited by Ake109

Hypersonic

The DIN are standard dimensions.

Just be the bracket.

Just go to a car audio shop and I am sure they can settle for you.

Suggest Autotrend at Toa Payoh, look for Darren the boss.

Twincharged

i spent about an hour cutting through the face-plate to make the hole bigger go my HU can just sit nicely inside. if dun go and look closely wun be able to see the rough edges .... overall ok job ... for me.

the old set from the previously went dark about a year ago ... after i used it for about a few months ... everything is working except the screen.

but now changed phone need to reset BT, so had to get a new set ... + GPS !!

• Praise 2

Twincharged

was just wondering, after I removed the HU from the dash, I saw a bundle of wires and the stock wiring harness connector.

does the installer split from the original harness or they cut the wires completely and rejoin elsewhere ?

meaning if I get a stock imprezza HU can I just plug in the present stock harness connector and it will work, or still need to do re-wiring job somemore ?

was just wondering, after I removed the HU from the dash, I saw a bundle of wires and the stock wiring harness connector.

does the installer split from the original harness or they cut the wires completely and rejoin elsewhere ?

meaning if I get a stock imprezza HU can I just plug in the present stock harness connector and it will work, or still need to do re-wiring job somemore ?

If the headunit u bought is meant for plug and play then no re-wiring.. else they will need to slice the wiress and join them to you new headunit via black tape.

Twincharged

If the headunit u bought is meant for plug and play then no re-wiring.. else they will need to slice the wiress and join them to you new headunit via black tape.

what i am trying to say is my second hand car has an aftermarket HU by the previous owner.

when i removed the old HU, i saw the stock harness connector still there with wires attached.

so i am asking if let say i get an original stock player can i just plug in the stock harness connector into the stock player and it will work like original ? without me having to re-do the wiring again ?

My 2nd hand car came with an after market single din head unit. My installer didn't do any rewiring when changing to my double din unit.

There should be a white plug with the wires attached. This should allow plug and play.

Twincharged

just asking coz if I happen to dekit, maybe find a stock unit to replace and no need to spend money on finding an installer to do it.

the thing about china HU is that <most> of them come from the same mold. I took out the old china-HU and found out that the harness connector was the same as my new china-HU ... so it was practically, plug-and-play also.

however, the wiring may differ slightly coz now my radio reception is very bad ... need to tinkle with it again. previous HU radio was very clear. but cd and mp3 is good ... should be the power antenna issue.

also video cannot play as it returns a warning that cannot play video when car is running (even when parked).... but still got sound.

Each of the HU connector pins are different. For my Sunny I changed from my original Clarion Unit to Pioneer unit. Though the connector looks similar the wires/pins for both these were different. So t I had to do was write down the pin configurations for both of them and individually connect the wires. There are lots of video's available in you tube, just look for them.

The color coding of wires are generally std, but with old cars the colors may vary, so ideally as you remove the old HU, keep the connector and write down the colors and the pin configs, then you can match them to the New HU pins, it will be easier that way.

If your new HU has things like BT, steering wheel control etc, then there are lots of wires to deal with, may not be so easy, so before disconnecting wires from the connector just be careful.

• Praise 1

Twincharged

Each of the HU connector pins are different. For my Sunny I changed from my original Clarion Unit to Pioneer unit. Though the connector looks similar the wires/pins for both these were different. So t I had to do was write down the pin configurations for both of them and individually connect the wires. There are lots of video's available in you tube, just look for them.

The color coding of wires are generally std, but with old cars the colors may vary, so ideally as you remove the old HU, keep the connector and write down the colors and the pin configs, then you can match them to the New HU pins, it will be easier that way.

If your new HU has things like BT, steering wheel control etc, then there are lots of wires to deal with, may not be so easy, so before disconnecting wires from the connector just be careful.

thks for the heads-up .... i also have the habit of taking a photo of things before i work on them so just in case dun work, i'll just put them back by following the pic.

↡ Advertisement