How to get rid of Bed Bugs?

TVT

Supercharged

Hi all

Recently my home has many bed bugs, make me and my family can't sleep peacefully. Have killed a few but still they exist.... [sweatdrop]

If I engage a pest controller it would cost me at least $400 ! So I hope to exterminate them myself....

Any bros/sis here have any recommendations or advice on getting rid of these pest completely?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

Hi all

Recently my home has many bed bugs, make me and my family can't sleep peacefully. Have killed a few but still they exist.... [sweatdrop]

If I engage a pest controller it would cost me at least $400 ! So I hope to exterminate them myself....

Any bros/sis here have any recommendations or advice on getting rid of these pest completely?

bro, sorry to hear about your plight. this is a rather precarious situation. bed bugs need to be eliminated as soon as possible.

sun your stuff as they are scared of heat. i was once terrorised by a bed bug for two weeks. i had to close all windows in the room and spray Baygon to flush the bug out. [:/]:wacko: when i finally saw it, i quickly [knife] it.

• Praise 6

Hi all

U need to replace all ur mattress, pillows, blankets etc.. I suggest u go with the pest control as bed bugs are not easy to get rid.

• Praise 4

Turbocharged

Its the eggs that are hard to get rid.

Must give the mattresses a good sun bath.

• Praise 3

Turbocharged
(edited)

Turn over all the angles of the mattress and those bed joint.

Use a powerful vaccum cleaner (with brush) n suck all the bugs n eggs.

Mix water and dettol in a spray bottle.

Spray all the difficult to reach joints

Repeat the process every two or three days. U will see result.

And seal up all small holes with blue tag or plasticine

Edited by Mcf777
  • Praise 5

Best to get professional pest controlers. Bugs are not easy to exterminate.

They dont hide in mattresses only.

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

Be careful if you have leather bag, they may hide in there and get carry away.

I done it before.

• Praise 2

(edited)

Maybe can try wrapping the mattress with pallet wrap stretch film ?

Edited by Kklee
  • Praise 2

Google Diatomaceous Earth

can pick up from some pet shops

super safe for humans.

spread over everywhere for a few weeks

extreme cold and heat helps

heat gun or maybe hair dryer on high in all the cracks in your rooms.

most pests controllers can probably clean room for live bed bugs... but its the eggs that are hard to get rid off.

in all cracks and crevices.

dry ice (co2) traps

smooth waxed tape on legs of bed to stop the bugs form crawling up the beds

lots of tips online.

• Praise 3

A small tip for u guys. When u travel overseas, try to avoid cheap hotel or backpackers. Go for 4 stars and abv to avoid bringing bed bug home.

• Praise 3

Turbocharged

Hi all

sorry for your predicament

I kena bedbugs in my room sometime last year. I solved it by:

1) cleaning all bed linen in hot (almost boiling) water

2) vacuuming all parts of the bed and discarding the vacuum bag

3) buying and sprinkling food-grade diatomaceous earth (DE) on the bed (under bed linen) and on the floor under the bed. I actually had to wear N95 mask as I did it. This works by cutting and drying out the bed bugs as they crawl over the powder, when they are out at night searching for food. They eventually die (a slow and painful death I hope). Think of it as a mine field, except it works a lot more slowly. The bed bugs must crawl over it for the DE to work.

I was fortunate as I discovered the bed bugs early and was able to get rid of them before they multiplied and went to explore other places for food. I.e. the problem was contained in my room. I was also afraid they would be in the car (!!) but thankfully the car seemed clear. When I first spotted the bed bugs on my bed, they were quite small.. like a pin head. Then there was a period of peace. Two weeks or so later, they came again and I saw that they were bigger/longer. I guess they feasted well on my blood.

Regarding DE, it was quite difficult to find a local seller. I almost wanted to order fm Amazon instead, but I didn't want to wait a few days for the delivery. In the end, I managed to buy fm a local pet supply shop somewhere in the kallang area. It came in a 4KG bottle. I only used 15% or so. If you need it, I can pass the remaining portion to you. PM to arrange.

BTW, bedbugs can also be found on sofa and other furniture. They can hide in linen and clothes. Normal washing machine cycle will not kill them.

Earlier this year, I saw a anti-bed bug spray sold in Sheng Shiong, displayed next to the insecticides. I'm not sure how effective it is but u can try it out.

if your bed bug issue is quite wide spread (many areas in the house) it might be better to get the professionals in and do a thorough job. this is because even if most of the bugs are killed, if a mating pair survives, the issue will arise again as they breed quite fast. Once their population density is quite high, they will actually roam to other areas to look for new food sources. So best to nip the problem in the bud as quickly as you can.

good luck!

• Praise 10

Turbocharged

If you dismantle the bed, you'll get a shock... the bed bugs will hide in the joints of the structure during the day.

Very hard to eradicate. You may need to call in pest controller who will fumigate the affected room with some kind of chemical. Even so, it's advisable to throw away those furniture, bed, etc. that is suspected to be the hideout.

• Praise 4

Hi all

Need to borrow from some brother here who has a steam cleaner. Need to steam every corners of the bed & mattress in order to kill the bugs and their egg.

The steam cleaner heat is around 96 degree and will kill them. This is what I did with my beds to get rid of them and it takes me one whole to do it for every rooms..... [sly]

• Praise 3

I had an occurrence of bed bugs too about half a year back. We were also not sure how we got it as we are quite meticulous when it comes to cleanliness. I discovered the infestation very early on when there were only a few bugs. Immediately, I contacted a renown pest controller to address the issue. I paid about $800 for the entire package which includes a sniffer dog followed by 2 fumigations and another dog inspection. There was no need to dispose of any furniture, clothing or mattresses. The chemical that they used has a residual effect of a few months so even though you don't notice it, it still continues to work against bed bugs. My home was free of them after the complete treatment. I decided to go straight to the controllers as the cost and effort to diy is not worth it.

• Praise 2

Hypersonic

@nautilus, why don't u post the name of the pest control company since you had a good experience?

(edited)

I went with Origin pest control. Not cheap but it's very effective. They even give a one month warranty after the last dog inspection finds no bugs.

Their strategy is to fumigate it once then a second time a month later. By then the eggs which have not hatched during the first round would have hatched. They use a chemical called temprid which is not available to consumers here.

Btw they fumigate the whole house even if one room is infested. In fact I thought only my master bedroom had it but it turned out that my living room sofa was infested as well.

Edited by Nautilus
  • Praise 2

Bed bugs we had in the office after some bangla workers came shifting office equipment one weekend. The female colleagues had a bad time the next few days and one even reported infestation at home the following week. So the next time office equipment/cabinets had to be shifted, we wrapped up our office chairs with cling wrap. Bed bugs are serious trouble.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2