ALL About BMW 3 series (ALL generation)

Mercury1

Turbocharged

I created this thread just for the BMW 3 series, many threads were opened on variants of 3 series but I thought be great to have one just for the 3 Series variants. Ever since I had a E46 I have always loved the 3 series more than any car I owned. This video sums up what this model is all about, practical, well balance, well sized sports saloon.

I'll do a write-up on a ride soon enough. Hope other owners do the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ildXLLfm23o

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

Thinking of getting a 3 series. What has stopped me so far is the many talk of bmw cars' poor reliability. Any comments?

My previous rides are merc and volvo, which have been trouble free.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

Similar, but because of the size I can never swing it around traffic like a 3er. My personal feel is that the 3er size is just perfect for a practical sports saloon [thumbsup]

then again I use to drive a mini (I could be biased [idea] )

How about the 5 series? Does it have similar kind of driving characteristics like the 3 series?

Turbocharged

To be perfectly frank I would say given the amount of electronics in the car these days its really hard to say, in fact my F30 just gave me some issues the other day (6 mnths old). But its a really a drivers car and it always gives a smile on my drive home, I would say the design of the car makes you feel connected but the issue is you really need some options to make you feel at home (namely great sound system hihi or better, and M sports steering) which our dear AD makes you pay for.

Even the Mini I have which is fuss free never made me feel the same way, or the merc (dad's car)

Thinking of getting a 3 series. What has stopped me so far is the many talk of bmw cars' poor reliability. Any comments?

My previous rides are merc and volvo, which have been trouble free.

• Praise 1

How about the 5 series? Does it have similar kind of driving characteristics like the 3 series?

The 5 series is an awesome drive! The acceleration is good (of course with the higher end ones) and the stability as well. Of course the 3 series is a smaller make hence the handling is better I feel but can be rather noisy as in the sound insulation not as good as 5 series.

To be perfectly frank I would say given the amount of electronics in the car these days its really hard to say, in fact my F30 just gave me some issues the other day (6 mnths old). But its a really a drivers car and it always gives a smile on my drive home, I would say the design of the car makes you feel connected but the issue is you really need some options to make you feel at home (namely great sound system hihi or better, and M sports steering) which our dear AD makes you pay for.

Even the Mini I have which is fuss free never made me feel the same way, or the merc (dad's car)

I agree, BMW seems to have more features as compared to Mercedes and also the interior feels better as well. Just my own perception of course.

• Praise 3

Turbocharged

I considered the CLA / C as well, Merc interior quality is always spot on but personally the LCD screen is not for me.

I biased to the 3er, but since its for family I ask my wife if the how she felt between the 5er rear and the 3er rear she said its about the same. So I said 3er it is! [laugh]

The 5 series is an awesome drive! The acceleration is good (of course with the higher end ones) and the stability as well. Of course the 3 series is a smaller make hence the handling is better I feel but can be rather noisy as in the sound insulation not as good as 5 series.

I agree, BMW seems to have more features as compared to Mercedes and also the interior feels better as well. Just my own perception of course.

I considered the CLA / C as well, Merc interior quality is always spot on but personally the LCD screen is not for me.

I biased to the 3er, but since its for family I ask my wife if the how she felt between the 5er rear and the 3er rear she said its about the same. So I said 3er it is! [laugh]

hmmm interesting... I would think that the 5er has a larger rear. The C class LCD screen is just looks out of place la but I prefer Merc because of its reliability as I heard before BMW has engine over-heating issues.

Then again, I think I was convinced by those naysayers around me who drive BMW. [:/]

Just brought my 3 series. Waiting for COE bid this round. They are giving 3 years fee service and 5 years warranty. Don't think you need to worry about problem.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

I thought so too, but comparing the data sheets legroom was about the same. But it had more shoulder room, I believe this was due to the larger seats on the 5er which took up more room compared to the 3er.

I wouldn't disagree that the Merc has better reliability compared to bmw (considering what I just experienced), then again if reliability was key then Lexus would be the ideal choice ^_^

I would say Bmw is really about all the driver experience, though more emphasis on engine lifespan would not be a bad thing.

hmmm interesting... I would think that the 5er has a larger rear. The C class LCD screen is just looks out of place la but I prefer Merc because of its reliability as I heard before BMW has engine over-heating issues.

Then again, I think I was convinced by those naysayers around me who drive BMW. [:/]

Congrats man, which variant did you get,

Basket my deal was the other way around, damn pml.

Just brought my 3 series. Waiting for COE bid this round. They are giving 3 years fee service and 5 years warranty. Don't think you need to worry about problem.

• Praise 1

Not guaranteed COE?

When is delivery?

The current-gen 5er is, IMHO, quite on the limits of being too big a car for Singapore and especially in narrow parking spots. I think the 3er/4er is just nice, and a 1er/2er would be fantastic, although in general coupé doors are a little longer n needs more space to open.

The 5er is also more of a comfort/luxury sedan than a sports sedan like the 3er, so IMHO it's a little on the "soft" side (although I drove the F30 and was not impressed by the suspension either.)

But still, the 5er is a nice car to drive around.

The Mini Cooper is an entirely different story, though.

Reliability -- I think it boils down to how well the car is maintained too, and if the owner knows a thing or two about keeping a car running.

• Praise 2

Similar, but because of the size I can never swing it around traffic like a 3er. My personal feel is that the 3er size is just perfect for a practical sports saloon [thumbsup]

then again I use to drive a mini (I could be biased [idea] )

Hmmm, sounds good. I'm considering the 5 series for next ride.

The current-gen 5er is, IMHO, quite on the limits of being too big a car for Singapore and especially in narrow parking spots. I think the 3er/4er is just nice, and a 1er/2er would be fantastic, although in general coupé doors are a little longer n needs more space to open.

The 5er is also more of a comfort/luxury sedan than a sports sedan like the 3er, so IMHO it's a little on the "soft" side (although I drove the F30 and was not impressed by the suspension either.)

But still, the 5er is a nice car to drive around.

The Mini Cooper is an entirely different story, though.

Reliability -- I think it boils down to how well the car is maintained too, and if the owner knows a thing or two about keeping a car running.

I read a number of car reviews and they placed the 5 series on top of the competition ie A6, E class, XF. It keeps me really interested.

I read a number of car reviews and they placed the 5 series on top of the competition ie A6, E class, XF. It keeps me really interested.

Must take a pinch of salt with the reviews. Our local 5er is quite poorly spec'ed up, unless you are buying the top of the line 535i with the comfort seats, 4 zone aircon, hi-fi system, etc. For the base spec 520i the seats aren't as comfortable as a Merc, and I still prefer the stiffer seats in the Merc. I don't like the A6 seats although it has a fully adjustable seat with lumbar as a standard option. Lexus always made nice, soft leather, quiet cars, but is too boring a drive for me.

BUT if you have a 535i with the sports or comfort seats, add the ventilation option and you have got yourself a really comfortable luxury sedan.

One think that other cars cannot fight with is the iDrive system. It's by far the best in the industry.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

I would say you definitely won't go wrong with a 5er (great interior & fantastic drive), but to be fair test drive them all in the priority of which you would rate them. Then you would know you made the right choice :D

Can always indent a 528 with some options heh [thumbsup]

Must take a pinch of salt with the reviews. Our local 5er is quite poorly spec'ed up, unless you are buying the top of the line 535i with the comfort seats, 4 zone aircon, hi-fi system, etc. For the base spec 520i the seats aren't as comfortable as a Merc, and I still prefer the stiffer seats in the Merc. I don't like the A6 seats although it has a fully adjustable seat with lumbar as a standard option. Lexus always made nice, soft leather, quiet cars, but is too boring a drive for me.

BUT if you have a 535i with the sports or comfort seats, add the ventilation option and you have got yourself a really comfortable luxury sedan.

One think that other cars cannot fight with is the iDrive system. It's by far the best in the industry.

Yes, I'm aware about the lack of features for the 5 series base models. But those reviews I'm talking about is more on the discussion in terms of driving pleasure, handling and road holding capabilities, which won't go wrong even with the base models. But of cos I do agree the E class is more comfy. The interior of the E class looks better two.

Actually I'm looking at the 5 series, E class coupe and XF.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1