ALL About BMW 3 series (ALL generation)

Mercury1

I would say you definitely won't go wrong with a 5er (great interior & fantastic drive), but to be fair test drive them all in the priority of which you would rate them. Then you would know you made the right choice :D

Can always indent a 528 with some options heh [thumbsup]

LOL -- that's what you think until you really go and try indenting one from PML, then they tell you no discount for non ex-stock lah, have to wait dunno how many months lah, and then you see the price for adding just comfort seats and 4 zone aircon, you might as well just buy the 535i.

Yes, I'm aware about the lack of features for the 5 series base models. But those reviews I'm talking about is more on the discussion in terms of driving pleasure, handling and road holding capabilities, which won't go wrong even with the base models. But of cos I do agree the E class is more comfy. The interior of the E class looks better two.

Actually I'm looking at the 5 series, E class coupe and XF.

Hmm you can be quite wrong. Local 5er does not come with the adaptive suspension which makes a BIG difference in the drive. The stock suspension is quite crappy to be honest.

↡ Advertisement

LOL -- that's what you think until you really go and try indenting one from PML, then they tell you no discount for non ex-stock lah, have to wait dunno how many months lah, and then you see the price for adding just comfort seats and 4 zone aircon, you might as well just buy the 535i.

Hmm you can be quite wrong. Local 5er does not come with the adaptive suspension which makes a BIG difference in the drive. The stock suspension is quite crappy to be honest.

Oh serious?? Hmmm....

Turbocharged

Lol that's true, the first SE I spoke to was like that discouraging me from the indenting luckily my 2nd SE was totally opposite which lead me to indented my F30 (+ had the PML world discounts). My pocket is shallow lah so I didn't want a car exceeding 2 litre road tax but I wanted all the toys which came with the 335.

I was surprise how much power the 528 had though, 1st experience when I took one on using my MCS and lost, 2nd was when it caught up on the nshw when cruising in an M5. IMO its a great sinkie city drive around (added with some options of course). But if one can whack a 535 go for it I say.

Yes, I'm aware about the lack of features for the 5 series base models. But those reviews I'm talking about is more on the discussion in terms of driving pleasure, handling and road holding capabilities, which won't go wrong even with the base models. But of cos I do agree the E class is more comfy. The interior of the E class looks better two.

Actually I'm looking at the 5 series, E class coupe and XF.

Speaking of XF, I wonder when is the XE coming here.

There is a difference between 3er and 5er.

3er gives the driver pin sharp driving experience (gets less and less tho, from E46 to E90 to now F30). The focus in BMW's engineering is in driving. So, there are compromises on space and comfort.

F10 5er is an executive saloon. Comfort and space comes first before driving experience. But still, its a BMW, therefore 50/50 weight balance is a must to engineer, and chassis setup and traction control to be handling bias. Refinement and insulation for the 5er is very very good with low NVH. But also because of this, its much heavier (200kgs more than F30), and steering is not as sharp.

Depends on individual needs. interior plastic for 5er is definitely higher quality, and also more standard equipment.

Anyway, the F30 LCI has just been announced. Some interesting changes.

316i no more. It will come as 318i , replacing the N20B16B engine with B38 1.5 litre 3 cylinder engine, producing the same 134bhp / 220Nm but CO2 emission reduced to just 119g/km

320i (ED or not), will come with B48 2.0 litre 4 cylinder engine, producing 181bhp / 290Nm (increase from 270Nm previously)

328i no more, but badged as 330i using same B48 2.0L 4 pot producing 252bhp (up from 245bhp previously) / 350 Nm (same as before)

335i no more, but badged as 340i using B58 3.0L inline six engine replacing N55 producing 306bhp / 400Nm

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/bmw/3-series/91367/bmw-3-series-gets-engine-tech-and-styling-tweaks-in-2015-facelift?_mout=1&utm_campaign=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter

f30-lci-3-series-sport-line-0025-850x567

f30-lci-3-series-sport-line-0020-e143100

f30-lci-3-series-sport-line-0003-850x567

• Praise 5

316i no more. It will come as 318i , replacing the N20B16B engine with B38 1.5 litre 3 cylinder engine, producing the same 134bhp / 220Nm but CO2 emission reduced to just 119g/km

This is a bit of a waste with only 4 hp above Cat A.

Nowaday, BMW is moving towards Merc by replacing mechanical setup of suspension system with Dynamic Drive.

For those who move from E46 (or before) to F30, there will be noticeably difference (even on M sports).

For me, the must have option is M sports & Front+Rear PDC.

This is a bit of a waste with only 4 hp above Cat A.

Mini Habitat has been selling Mini Cooper (from the same 1.5L) since March 2015.

Nowaday, BMW is moving towards Merc by replacing mechanical setup of suspension system with Dynamic Drive.

For those who move from E46 (or before) to F30, there will be noticeably difference (even on M sports).

Mini Habitat has been selling Mini Cooper (from the same 1.5L) since March 2015.

the same 1.5L 3 pot is also beings used on 218i Active Tourer, also Cat B COE.

the new generation of bimmers focus more on emission, efficiency, safety and refinement ... so it will never be the same as before.

E46 is probably 3 star (or less) rated in today's Euro NCAP crash test, and its emission will never be approved in homologation for today's regulation. So many things have changed. Goal post have changed too. Customers' expectations have also changed.

the same 1.5L 3 pot is also beings used on 218i Active Tourer, also Cat B COE.

the new generation of bimmers focus more on emission, efficiency, safety and refinement ... so it will never be the same as before.

E46 is probably 3 star (or less) rated in today's Euro NCAP crash test, and its emission will never be approved in homologation for today's regulation. So many things have changed. Goal post have changed too. Customers' expectations have also changed.

That's why BMW is interested to develop 1 series saloon for ppl who miss the good old 3 series.

Is the Mini Cooper in Cat A? I thought it was. But in sgcarmart the spec is listed as 134hp.

There is a difference between 3er and 5er.

3er gives the driver pin sharp driving experience (gets less and less tho, from E46 to E90 to now F30). The focus in BMW's engineering is in driving. So, there are compromises on space and comfort.

F10 5er is an executive saloon. Comfort and space comes first before driving experience. But still, its a BMW, therefore 50/50 weight balance is a must to engineer, and chassis setup and traction control to be handling bias. Refinement and insulation for the 5er is very very good with low NVH. But also because of this, its much heavier (200kgs more than F30), and steering is not as sharp.

Depends on individual needs. interior plastic for 5er is definitely higher quality, and also more standard equipment.

Anyway, the F30 LCI has just been announced. Some interesting changes.

320i (ED or not), will come with B48 2.0 litre 4 cylinder engine, producing 181bhp / 290Nm (increase from 270Nm previously)

328i no more, but badged as 330i using same B48 2.0L 4 pot producing 252bhp (up from 245bhp previously) / 350 Nm (same as before)

335i no more, but badged as 340i using B58 3.0L inline six engine replacing N55 producing 306bhp / 400Nm

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/bmw/3-series/91367/bmw-3-series-gets-engine-tech-and-styling-tweaks-in-2015-facelift?_mout=1&utm_campaign=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter

f30-lci-3-series-sport-line-0025-850x567

f30-lci-3-series-sport-line-0020-e143100

f30-lci-3-series-sport-line-0003-850x567

But in your opinion, how does the driveability and road holding capabilities of the 5 series rank against the A6, E class and XF?

Hey,

I am looking at getting a pre-owned F30.

Either at 328 or 335.

They are no longer available at PML so I cant go for a test drive.

Anyone of you have actually driven both of them to give a review?

For Singapore driving, can you feel the difference in acceleration? I can live with the sound of a 4 cyl engine

(edited)

Is the Mini Cooper in Cat A? I thought it was. But in sgcarmart the spec is listed as 134hp.

Previous Mini Cooper (non JPW) is 125bhp if i am not wrong... under old scheme its cat A since its 1.6 supercharged.

Newer Mini Cooper using N20B16 engines are 134bhp rate,.. under new scheme its Cat B.

Edited by Miles

I created this thread just for the BMW 3 series, many threads were opened on variants of 3 series but I thought be great to have one just for the 3 Series variants. Ever since I had a E46 I have always loved the 3 series more than any car I owned. This video sums up what this model is all about, practical, well balance, well sized sports saloon.

I'll do a write-up on a ride soon enough. Hope other owners do the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ildXLLfm23o

I feel A3 and CLA180 more value for money

Turbocharged

Unfortunately when I compare my F30 with M sports suspension (or dynamic suspension for that matter) its still cannot match my previous E46 with M sport suspension.

But in your opinion, how does the driveability and road holding capabilities of the 5 series rank against the A6, E class and XF?

i dont touch Audi, and i didnt test the XF, so no comments.

Against the E class (pre facelifted), both drives well (you'll be surprised at how well the W212 E class drives). But as expected, Merc has softer suspension and 5er firmer. So the 5er will always out handles the E.

Roadholding at our road and highway's legal speed, both are competent.

One thing I realize about the 5er, there is so much electronics in the whole car. It will be amazing if there is no bug found in there. In software codes, there is no such thing as bug free. Just matter of how serious the bug is.

Its no wonder that Mercs are more reliable since their use of electronics are more sparingly used.

That's why BMW is interested to develop 1 series saloon for ppl who miss the good old 3 series.

New 1er (Gxx) will be on FWD platform. So, the only go kart feel is the Mini.

Previous Mini Cooper (non JPW) is 125bhp if i am not wrong... under old scheme its cat A since its 1.6 supercharged.

Newer Mini Cooper using N20B16 engines are 134bhp rate,.. under new scheme its Cat B.

1st Gen, Cooper is 1.6L NA producing 114hp & Cooper S is 1.6L supercharge producing 168hp

2nd Gen, Cooper is 1.6L NA producing 114hp & Cooper S is 1.6L TC producing 175hp

2nd Gen LCI, Cooper is 1.6L NA producing 118hp & Cooper S is 1.6L TC producing 184hp

3rd Gen, Cooper is 1.5L TC producing 134hp & Cooper S is 2L TC producing 189hp

Since last year, all 2nd Gen Cooper S falls under Cat B.

Unfortunately when I compare my F30 with M sports suspension (or dynamic suspension for that matter) its still cannot match my previous E46 with M sport suspension.

I don't think F30 got Dynamic Drive which adjust anti-roll bar.

↡ Advertisement