Manual transmission cars going to be discontinued?

Subutai

Neutral Newbie

You have a GT86 icon. If you have that car, please, please tell me you bought the manual. That car is terrible to drive in auto form. Yes, I've tried both.

Please PM me if you keen on importing the Toyota GT86 icon 2.0M.

Thanks.

post-3963-0-75090400-1484711783.png

post-3963-0-33116500-1484711794_thumb.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

I find driving manual more engaging. Auto drive seems very mundane and your left limbs do not need to move often...no good for blood circulation...lol

Best of all, manual gearbox very robust, can subject to whacking and low cost maintenance

Yes part of the reason why I drove a manual is because as long as you know how to drive a stick shifter, knows how and what not to do with a clutch, able to feel the rev counts as you shift through the gears without looking at the rev counter, it's very engaging.

As a new driver, they are not able to hitch that feel yet, especially the rev count feel and clutch feel. So they fretted much as it's a chore for them to look at the road, look at the mirror, and then had to look at the dash almost every 3 seconds. 

For experience drivers like us, we probably won't even need to see the dash and wonder how high our rev were.. so we probably won't have problem, and able to choose the right gear number for that slope, speed or traffic easily.

Driving manual is a true driver, Automatic...is just a operator.

• Praise 5

Turbocharged

Please PM me if you keen on importing the Toyota GT86 icon 2.0M.

Thanks.

Lol. And I wonder why Borneo Motors stop bringing this in.
  • Praise 1

Yes part of the reason why I drove a manual is because as long as you know how to drive a stick shifter, knows how and what not to do with a clutch, able to feel the rev counts as you shift through the gears without looking at the rev counter, it's very engaging.

As a new driver, they are not able to hitch that feel yet, especially the rev count feel and clutch feel. So they fretted much as it's a chore for them to look at the road, look at the mirror, and then had to look at the dash almost every 3 seconds. 

For experience drivers like us, we probably won't even need to see the dash and wonder how high our rev were.. so we probably won't have problem, and able to choose the right gear number for that slope, speed or traffic easily.

Driving manual is a true driver, Automatic...is just a operator.

Love the feel of rev matching when braking and downshifting at the same time. Abit hard to do on normal driving initially but once used to, it's really fun. Gonna missed my ride when I change car. Sigh [:(]

I guess what put off most ppl from MT cars is moving off from slopes. The half clutch and handbrake release can be intimidating esp at crowded mscp like the one in PS. It's sad that a lot of auto makers and markets are moving away from MT in favor for the less engaging AT.

• Praise 1

Love the feel of rev matching when braking and downshifting at the same time. Abit hard to do on normal driving initially but once used to, it's really fun. Gonna missed my ride when I change car. Sigh [:(]

I guess what put off most ppl from MT cars is moving off from slopes. The half clutch and handbrake release can be intimidating esp at crowded mscp like the one in PS. It's sad that a lot of auto makers and markets are moving away from MT in favor for the less engaging AT.

The slope part quite annoying, especiallyvehicle behind get too close...

You have a GT86 icon. If you have that car, please, please tell me you bought the manual. That car is terrible to drive in auto form. Yes, I've tried both.

It's a MT, I'm fine with everything except a few complaints which I have mentioned in previous post. 

• Praise 2

While going up slope, don't tailgate... so you can have plenty of room to drive up with a bit more revving. 

If you knew the slope is just 1 level high,  or there is a leveled ground after the slope at each floor  such as Nex shopping mall, then wait at the bottom of the slope.

I usually dont follow cars up slope. I just waited for a while longer or until I see the car in front had create several car length before I creep up.

If you are good with the rev, you can actually drive up a slope without using the half clutch.

Try practise at your MSCP without half clutching up the slope.. it just drive and feel like an automatic .. won't stall engine, if you learn how to feel for the torque and rev.

enjoy !

• Praise 1

Twincharged

It's a MT, I'm fine with everything except a few complaints which I have mentioned in previous post. 

Slope part usually use handbrake if very steep slope. Or else left foot release clutch to biting point first then release brakes and depress accelerator to move. Usually won't roll back.

• Praise 1

Thanks for clarifying. If you're looking to sell, do let me know. I might be looking to pick up a toy relatively cheap. I like that car and I like manual transmissions. The issue with the modern generation of high performance cars is that it's always a manual pitted against a bulletproof DCT, and the DCT is always the higher-performing option. The GT86/BRZ doesn't have that issue, it's not really such a high performance car (so you don't feel like you're losing out too much by not going to the bleeding edge) and it's manual against slushbox auto with the auto performing worse. Either way, the more engaging option is also the higher performing one, so it's a win-win.

I shall not delve into my other gripe about manual transmission cars, which are also becoming more dumbed down. The new M2 manual has a rev matching feature. Granted you can turn it off, but would you? Even a racing driver can't beat a computer when it comes to perfectly matched shifts. I think the rot started on consumer cars with the 370Z, but now it's gone to the M2 and the Corvette as well.

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 1

The key safety aspect of a manual is that there has never been a single incident of the driver accidentally stepping on the accelerator and accidentally reverse or crash forward into another vehicle or object.

Remember those Toyota Crown and Nissan Cedric taxi days? Unintended sudden acceleration or a taxi reversing into a void deck was totally unheard of.

• Praise 1

Twincharged

The key safety aspect of a manual is that there has never been a single incident of the driver accidentally stepping on the accelerator and accidentally reverse or crash forward into another vehicle or object.

Remember those Toyota Crown and Nissan Cedric taxi days? Unintended sudden acceleration or a taxi reversing into a void deck was totally unheard of.

Another reason will be that older taxi drivers got to stop driving. My granduncle stopped driving his taxi when he was in his 50s cuz he was getting too weak to operate the clutch. Went back to driving taxis again when they started introducing the auto taxis. But by then, his health already very bad and can't really drive in a straight line.

No thanks to our govt, we could have CNG version of Toyota Crown.

I took the newer version of Toyota Crown taxi in HK.

I love manual cars , am driving manual car now , would love my next car to be manual too. but whenever i am caught in a jam , i hope my car is auto transmission . Ironic , i still prefer manual

It's not so bad to be caught in a traffic jam in a manual.

I was stuck at Tuas customs for 3 hrs before. Other than a sore calf muscle the next day which healed within a day, all's fine.

I feel motorists nowdays are too pampered.

Last time, the cars came mostly in manual and without power steering, but we still drove it fine.

It's not so bad to be caught in a traffic jam in a manual.

I was stuck at Tuas customs for 3 hrs before. Other than a sore calf muscle the next day which healed within a day, all's fine.

I feel motorists nowdays are too pampered.

Last time, the cars came mostly in manual and without power steering, but we still drove it fine.

Last time got less traffic, driving is more enjoyable.

Nowadays everywhere also jam.  [dizzy]

of cos man. before the car can move must clutch in and engage the gear. Auto car is shift gear nia, do need to pay more attention.

Manual cars rox, a pity my family's manual civic coming to an end nxt year

↡ Advertisement