Manual transmission cars going to be discontinued?

Subutai

Last time got less traffic, driving is more enjoyable.

Nowadays everywhere also jam.  [dizzy]

As i don't commute, it is not less enjoyable then 10 years ago.

↡ Advertisement

Last time got less traffic, driving is more enjoyable.

Nowadays everywhere also jam. [dizzy]

That's why my OPC is a manual - for weekend drives only!

It's a pleasure

(edited)

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/02/01/manual-transmission-thwarts-car-thieves-alabama/

[laugh]

Manual transmission thwarts attempt to steal car in Alabama None of the alleged carjackers knew how to drive a stick
Feb 1st 2019 at 2:20PM
  •  

It isn't Florida, but close by in Alabama, four car thieves once again proved how the manual transmission is one of the best car theft deterrents there is. In a TV report from Alabama's FOX10 News, we're able to watch the theft failure on security camera footage.

Four men pull up to a Quick Stop in Semmes, Ala., in a black SUV, then notice a 1995 Honda Civic running, with the keys in the ignition, parked nearby with nobody around. (For the record, don't do this.) So, a couple of the men from the SUV hop into the Honda. Instead of peeling out in a cloud of dust and VTEC noises, the suspects puzzle over the alien concepts of a stick shift and clutch pedal, sitting around long enough for the owner to find them failing in their efforts to get away. They eventually give up and run away from the Civic as the owner confronts them, attempting to pull the driver out of his own car.

The Civic's owner wasn't quite done with the thieves yet, though. He whipped out his phone and began to record them, getting their vehicle's license plate number and the black SUV's driver on video. A follow-up story by FOX10 News says the Mobile County Sheriff's Office identified the suspect as 32-year-old Blake Lawrence.

You might think the story ends there, but it turns out Lawrence has been identified as the suspect in a convenience store robbery that went wrong the same day as the failed carjacking. Lawrence allegedly tried to pull off the convenience store robbery with a homemade weapon, but he wasn't taken seriously by the clerk. He then proceeded to legally purchase a six-pack of beer at said convenience store. No, we're not making this up.

The moral of the story: Buy a car with a manual transmission. So much of America is unable to drive one, and you'll end up having a lot more fun behind the wheel when people aren't trying and failing to steal your car.

Edited by Kangadrool

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/02/01/manual-transmission-thwarts-car-thieves-alabama/

[laugh]

Manual transmission thwarts attempt to steal car in Alabama None of the alleged carjackers knew how to drive a stick

zac-palmer.jpg

Zac Palmer

Feb 1st 2019 at 2:20PM

It isn't Florida, but close by in Alabama, four car thieves once again proved how the manual transmission is one of the best car theft deterrents there is. In a TV report from Alabama's

, we're able to watch the theft failure on security camera footage.

Four men pull up to a Quick Stop in Semmes, Ala., in a black SUV, then notice a 1995 Honda Civic running, with the keys in the ignition, parked nearby with nobody around. (For the record, don't do this.) So, a couple of the men from the SUV hop into the Honda. Instead of peeling out in a cloud of dust and VTEC noises, the suspects puzzle over the alien concepts of a stick shift and clutch pedal, sitting around long enough for the owner to find them failing in their efforts to get away. They eventually give up and run away from the Civic as the owner confronts them, attempting to pull the driver out of his own car.

The Civic's owner wasn't quite done with the thieves yet, though. He whipped out his phone and began to record them, getting their vehicle's license plate number and the black SUV's driver on video. A follow-up story by

says the Mobile County Sheriff's Office identified the suspect as 32-year-old Blake Lawrence.

You might think the story ends there, but it turns out Lawrence has been identified as the suspect in a convenience store robbery that went wrong the same day as the failed carjacking. Lawrence allegedly tried to pull off the convenience store robbery with a homemade weapon, but he wasn't taken seriously by the clerk. He then proceeded to legally purchase a six-pack of beer at said convenience store. No, we're not making this up.

The moral of the story: Buy a car with a manual transmission. So much of America is unable to drive one, and you'll end up having a lot more fun behind the wheel when people aren't trying and failing to steal your car.

not many would want to borrow your car too....

The slope part quite annoying, especiallyvehicle behind get too close...

It's a MT, I'm fine with everything except a few complaints which I have mentioned in previous post. 

LOL nowadays all the manual car have hill start assist. i feel like an idiot if i try to override the car. end up doing burnout... 

actually most car now still have manual as base spec. even your 3series and c class too. but just that you guys in sg don't get to enjoy them only. although, i have to say not all manuals are equal.

went to the uk, was given a c class manual. that gearbox was an absolute shit to drive compared with my mazda 3 6mt with short throw. but even without the short shifter, it's still world's apart. the c class manual was so soft and mushy with every gear change. mazda stock still shorter than that and more precise..

15 minutes ago, shaunlwl said:

Any thoughts on the huundai kona 1.0t manual transmission? Planning to buy second hand...

If you like manual, there are not many options. Being Hyundai, their reliability has been proven,  manual should be even easier to maintain. 

Edited by Ct3833

28 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

If you like manual, there are not many options. Being Hyundai, their reliability has been proven,  manual should be even easier to maintain. 

Easier to maintain to a certain extent. The funny thing is that once manual becomes more rare, when the synchros break or some parts need replacement parts are hard to come by. For an automatic typically the clutch packs and seals are pretty common and much easier to source parts to fix. 

• Praise 1

51 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

Dont understand why manual cars become extinct? I missed driving a manual car. Lol.

3 minutes ago, 13177 said:

Dont understand why manual cars become extinct? I missed driving a manual car. Lol.

Old transmission used to be jerky,  less fuel efficient and less powerful but the new auto are very fule efficient and smooth, when market demand is shifted to auto, producing  manual cars is no longer profitable and not viable to car manufacturers. 

• Praise 1

To provide context: considering hyundai kona 1.0 vs honda jazz 1.5

Cost of ownership for both would be plus minus 300 ( depre, road tax, fuel, insurance). 

Just worried that depre for kona would be jialat if the resale for manual car 4 years down the road is really bad

Thoughts?

36 minutes ago, shaunlwl said:

Cost of ownership for both would be plus minus 300 ( depre, road tax, fuel, insurance). 

Just worried that depre for kona would be jialat if the resale for manual car 4 years down the road is really bad

Thoughts?

IMHO if bread and butter cars, it’s better to drive popular models. Not sure how important down time for repairs due to parts supply is to you. With less popular models you might have wait a bit for parts. 
for me, I dislike waiting for parts, need to have them within the same day. 
for me a manual Kona with 1.0 isn’t worth the hassle. It’s not a car interesting enough to put up with potential less support. 

1 hour ago, shaunlwl said:

Thoughts?

Unless the used car dealer is incompetent they would mark up the jazz profit margin much higher than the Kona.

In 4 years time they will tell you cannot give you much for Kona because its a Korean car and Korean car not popular especially manuals

So you think you will get a good price for the Jazz?

They will tell you sorry cannot give you much for the Jazz because we have so many Japanese cars in our shop so hard to move how to give you a good price?

:D

↡ Advertisement