Is Car Necessary in Singapore

Caldina

Everyone have different needs and wants.

There is no standard answer or same things that fit everyone.

If want, if feel necessary, if need, just buy :)

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

That's why driving is the new smoking.  once start, near impossible to stop for most.  Interestingly, from a maj tobacco manufacturer.......the pricing of entry, mid & high is similar to how petrol is priced for 92, 95 & 98.

E.g.,  $9.70, $10.20, $12.20 per pack.  1st jump is 50cts.  then from mid to high is 4 x 50 cts jump.

similar to smoking, no matter how much cancerous reasons is highlighted, people still smoke...

• Praise 3

Some people analyse the coe so much with graphs and what not. Then say his dream car will fall below 100 in January then will buy. Later he switch to say he bought a condo and now say how a car is not a necessity blah blah. Lol.

Suddenly congestion becomes a reason not to buy. Lol.

I need a car because i'm in sales line.

Although i have delivery guy but sometimes i'm require to do delivery myself.

Service is priority for my customers.

Edited by Mlimhs

IMO, SIN is very unique country that people look forward to own car even most expensive to buy.

Our country is small and the GOV has make others lux hobbies almost impossible such as pleasure craft (boat) and private aeroplane. As such, diverting people to focus on car & motorcycle.

So the one can afford will only focus on car living here. I do believe they've better cars and lux boat in other countries such as Malaysia since it is only next door. Even paper reported Sin owning aeroplane of good model in Malaysia and use them to fly around S.E.A where landing fee can be as low as S$10 in small airport. 

I have seen many Sin owning property in Malaysia and owning many lux car in KL. It is so attractive to own one in our neighbour at affordable cost to many

No one needs one. No car won't die. 

But everyone wants one!

Conclusion is just godamn buy it!!!! 

Got money = Buy

No money = take loan and buy

• Praise 2

That's the thing with this thread. Everyone is trying to tell everyone else how to spend their money, when in the first place it is none of their business.

This thread could easily be "Is iPhone 6S Necessary" or "Is Air-Con Necessary".

Cannot praise you with points anymore so give you a verbal "like" here. 

Here is my justification:

When my family travel around Singapore in a car, we can talk, laugh, cry, fight as loud as we want in our own privacy. When we travel in buses, taxi, or MRT, we have to be very very quiet....many times, don't even sit together. Wasted our quality time together. Hence, a car is a necessity for privacy. How much does privacy worth?  

Car is a need to save time. My friend lives in Punggol and works in Tuas. Public transport takes 2 hours but car ride only takes 30min. So, he saves 3 hours of his life daily by driving. How much does 3 hrs daily worth?  

However, if travelling alone only from Tampines to Raffles place and back, please take the MRT and spend the 30min reading MyCarForum.  

• Praise 5

Great that these work for you, but they are not good enough for me.

When my family travel around Singapore in a car, we can talk, laugh, cry, fight as loud as we want in our own privacy. When we travel in buses, taxi, or MRT, we have to be very very quiet....many times, don't even sit together. Wasted our quality time together. Hence, a car is a necessity for privacy. How much does privacy worth?

How often do you go out as a family? How long does your journey last? How about dinner? Do you eat together? You never talk over dinner? (Even if you have dinner outside, you often have a table by yourself.)

My experience is either silence or everyone staring at their handphones.

There is no need to communicate all the time. You can take advantage of the travel to have your own private time.

Car is a need to save time. My friend lives in Punggol and works in Tuas. Public transport takes 2 hours but car ride only takes 30min. So, he saves 3 hours of his life daily by driving. How much does 3 hrs daily worth?

I always found this argument somewhat weak. A person can decide at least one of the two. If he lives in the east, he can decide if he wants a west-side job. If he has a west-side job, he should really consider if he wants to live in the east.

For me, one of the considerations is opportunity cost. Suppose the depreciation is $13k/year and the TCO (Total Cost of Ownership) is $180k over 10 years, I ask myself if there is anything better I would like to do with that money.

• Praise 4

Did you manage to get your target Toyota since the car is around 100k now?

I think you hit the crux of the argument, don't you?  "Lifestyle".  There are proponents that keep pushing that car is a necessity... but as you yourself have so clearly pointed out, it a lifestyle choice.  

If so why do you support those who overstate the benefits to those who may not realize the cost/disadvantages by responding to my post?   Have I overstated the disadvantages?  All i am doing is restoring balance to the arguments by showing the jams, higher chances of fatal accidents and higher cost of living is associated with a car-choice lifestyle.  I think I reserve the rights to be sarcastic.

I think we are going that way, studies from Europe has show by by narrowing roads and so on... traffic accidents ad speed can be moderated.

The reduction of rules requiring developers to develop a fix number of car lots to per sq foot floor area is making carparks smaller in newer developments.  In fact, all new condos only come with 1 car lot per unit.  Not like in the past where the ratio is higher.

• Praise 2

As long as it save time . I try going to office without car , got to wake up damn early , like 530 & left home by 6am With car I wake up at 630 . By 7 I left home . But by public transport , I need additional 30 minutes to reach the mrt ...

• Praise 2

Did you manage to get your target Toyota since the car is around 100k now?

Thanks for asking.. methink you miss a couple of my earlier posts.  The funds has been diverted to buying a new property.  Am not going to be the market for any car for the next year or so, maybe in 2017 after funds got replenish.

• Praise 1

Great that these work for you, but they are not good enough for me.

I don't see why privacy and time saving is not a good justification for you. Nevertheless, I respect your reasons.  

How often do you go out as a family? How long does your journey last? How about dinner? Do you eat together? You never talk over dinner? (Even if you have dinner outside, you often have a table by yourself.)

My experience is either silence or everyone staring at their handphones.

There is no need to communicate all the time. You can take advantage of the travel to have your own private time.

I send and fetch my kids to school every weekday. On the journey, we chat, scold, laugh loudly in our own privacy. 

We spend several hours on the road on weekends, going around Singapore for meals and grocery. On the journey, we chat, scold, laugh loudly in our own privacy. On dining tables, we enforce no phones. We value communication time because my kids like to tell us their stories. I don't see why you don't value communication with your love ones. Nevertheless, I respect your reasons. 

I always found this argument somewhat weak. A person can decide at least one of the two. If he lives in the east, he can decide if he wants a west-side job. If he has a west-side job, he should really consider if he wants to live in the east.

You are fortunate that you can easily find a job near where you live. You have the option to select the company you want. But not many people are as capable as you are. I don't because I am bonded. Treasure your freedom. 

For me, one of the considerations is opportunity cost. Suppose the depreciation is $13k/year and the TCO (Total Cost of Ownership) is $180k over 10 years, I ask myself if there is anything better I would like to do with that money.

I'll pay $180K for privacy with my family and more time with my family over 10 years. I respect your priorities. 

I understand that many wanted privacy and time but cannot afford it comfortably. Don't stretch yourselves too much and get into financial troubles, which will cause even more stress to your families. Cars in Singapore are just too ridiculous for half the population. Like what Nhyone suggested, make full use of your private time on the train and spend quality time with family at home.  
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3