Need help on parking assist

Pinobii

(edited)

4.8m only. No need what camera or side sensor. Just a pair of reverse sensor is sufficient.

This size usually is camry or accord size, quite easy to park.

You mean side mirror cannot see the parking lot marking ah?

There are two ways to get around this. First is buy a proper car because they usually come with auto tilt side mirrors. The second option is to park two times. Just drive forward enough and your side mirrors can easily see the lot marking.

Ok thanks!

Edited by Pinobii

Turbocharged

When I was learning to drive, we lived inside a Utilities work yard (i.e the place where they store power poles for replacement, trucks etc etc)

There were two "piles" of poles - my father used to make me reverse figure eights around them.

Then our garage was about 4 inches wider than the car - so getting in and out required practice.

Turbocharged

I'm driving a small car now too... intending to get a larger one too.

Myself, I think getting a reverse cam is necessary for a new car. It's not just for helping parking, but for safety in my opinion. I prefer camera over rear sensors. But have both means some redundancy in case one spoilt.

Front sensors imo only very useful if you the type who like to park nose-in or have to do a lot of parallel parking. If not, no need, just get reverse cam for your scenario.

If not, have you try using your side mirrors to help you align? When I first started driving after couple months of not doing so I forgot I can use my mirrors. (my car doesn't auto-lower the mirrors though) ... when I remember I can do so, it help me park much more swee swee.

Using mirror can help see the lines. Should be ok! Keep practicing also like everyone say... I also keep practicing... even you end up slanted is also ok if not inconveniencing others. I myself get annoyed if my car slanted so I adjust it... but others think I don't have to. Just park till you satisfied and is OK.

What car are you driving?

Just have to keep practicing lor. Nowadays a lot of parking lots are too small for bigger cars these days.

Turbocharged

Or install those features that will auto park for you.

All you need to do is just follow the instructions. Lol......

Twincharged
(edited)

No need reverse cam to park properly. Just drive and practice more. My previous car more than 4.5m long and no reverse sensor or camera. That was my first car when I just passed my license. Just keep practicing. After a while you'll get used to the car and will know when to stop reversing even if no sensors.

One method my instructor taught me is to visualize where your wheels and body of your car is from the driver's seat. Look at your car closely and see where your wheels are and how far back your rear bumper is from the wheel. Then get in the car and drive. By doing that when you reverse just visualize where your rear wheels are and you'll be able to estimate where your rear bumper is also. This is useful not only for reversing. When in tight spaces, being able to visualize where your wheels are can help you estimate whether you'll clear the kerb or not.

Edited by Nzy
  • Praise 1

Hi guys

Am driving a 4.8m long car, and i am facing difficulty parking having switched from a smaller car

I can't park once like in the past, and always have to adjust a few times especially narrow lots and parallel lots

I am thinking of either adding a reverse camera or sensors in front and back

Could anyone please give me some advice to what things I can do to help me park better?

Thank you very much!

My car is about 4.9m long and I use my side mirrors (largely) to park although I have both sensors and reverse camera (old habits die hard), I think for bigger car, positioning becomes increasingly important. Pictures speak a thousand words. You might be already doing it, then it is a matter of practice.

Don't become overly reliance on technology, next time you go overseas and rent a lousy car, you will put yourself and others in danger.

post-24635-0-64125600-1431862327.jpg

post-24635-0-66873500-1431862406.jpg

• Praise 4

sensor not much of use.

if u want, add a reverse camera.

can position until swee swee.....

i really like singlish [nod]

(edited)

If your car has a lot of blind spots dan it's better to install both reverse sensor and reverse camera. It's not so much of helping you park but have a better view of the rear coz nowadays got a lot of crazy pedestrians and drivers around. Ppl like to dash past your car's rear when you are attempting to reverse park. Sensors will pick up and beep like hell. For reverse cam I find it useful when doing parallel parking. Last time my car only had reverse sensors I have to agar agar when parking in tight parallel spaces. With a cam I can see clearly how much space left and park faster dan before.

4.8m is not long it's just that you are still not used to it coz your previous car is smaller. Try to stop further to give yourself more space to manuevor . Many times I see other drivers' mistake is that they stop very near to the parking lot before putting into reverse. Dan you see them forward and reverse several times just to get it right.

Add mirrors to help you see better like some suggested. It helps.

Edited by Watwheels

Twincharged

My car is about 4.9m long and I use my side mirrors (largely) to park although I have both sensors and reverse camera (old habits die hard), I think for bigger car, positioning becomes increasingly important. Pictures speak a thousand words. You might be already doing it, then it is a matter of practice.

Don't become overly reliance on technology, next time you go overseas and rent a lousy car, you will put yourself and others in danger.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Actually I feel both illustrations 1 and 2 are correct. Illustration 1 is what is taught in driving school. 2 is definitely easier, but its good to learn to park from position shown in 1 also. Cuz sometimes waiting for lot, not convenient to re-position to illustration 2. I have seen people who can only park from illustration 1 position so they take very long to park when they were already parked at the side waiting for lot.

Turbocharged

Actually I feel both illustrations 1 and 2 are correct. Illustration 1 is what is taught in driving school. 2 is definitely easier, but its good to learn to park from position shown in 1 also. Cuz sometimes waiting for lot, not convenient to re-position to illustration 2. I have seen people who can only park from illustration 1 position so they take very long to park when they were already parked at the side waiting for lot.

Let others go out of the lot first so that you can position yourself into 2. If you wait in front of someone, you will end up in position 1 and it will be slightly tougher to reverse in. Plus cars from behind who are impatient will try to go past you on your left.

I'm driving a small car now too... intending to get a larger one too.

Myself, I think getting a reverse cam is necessary for a new car. It's not just for helping parking, but for safety in my opinion. I prefer camera over rear sensors. But have both means some redundancy in case one spoilt.

Front sensors imo only very useful if you the type who like to park nose-in or have to do a lot of parallel parking. If not, no need, just get reverse cam for your scenario.

If not, have you try using your side mirrors to help you align? When I first started driving after couple months of not doing so I forgot I can use my mirrors. (my car doesn't auto-lower the mirrors though) ... when I remember I can do so, it help me park much more swee swee.

Using mirror can help see the lines. Should be ok! Keep practicing also like everyone say... I also keep practicing... even you end up slanted is also ok if not inconveniencing others. I myself get annoyed if my car slanted so I adjust it... but others think I don't have to. Just park till you satisfied and is OK.

Thanks! I like the car to fit straight and swee swee kind, so I end up going in/out...a little not used to it

Last time, every time was a breeze, one time swee swee and done

I try not to go nose dive coz I found out that sometimes the front is too low for the lot and it scratches the underneath, also hard to come out of the lot due to blind spot and cannot see if there's any car coming

Definitely practicing every day

All the best in your hunt for the new ride!

I think different drivers adapt to different methods.

For me when I got my driver's license my dad taught me to use the side mirrors to gauge w/o turning my head back to see or to look at the lines. It works regardless of how long the vehicle will be.

• Praise 1

Twincharged

Let others go out of the lot first so that you can position yourself into 2. If you wait in front of someone, you will end up in position 1 and it will be slightly tougher to reverse in. Plus cars from behind who are impatient will try to go past you on your left.

Of course if you can decide which car is driving off then its easy. But sometimes when waiting for lot, it might be the car behind that is driving off instead. Its not always possible to be behind the car going out of the lot. Of course if can then it will be easier. But I have seen so many people struggle to get into position 2 after the car behind them leave the lot. Lol.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

When I first got my license, the first few times, I strictly followed the instructor method but I see that no one is actually doing that, so I also copy others and follow suit

Thanks!

No need reverse cam to park properly. Just drive and practice more. My previous car more than 4.5m long and no reverse sensor or camera. That was my first car when I just passed my license. Just keep practicing. After a while you'll get used to the car and will know when to stop reversing even if no sensors.

One method my instructor taught me is to visualize where your wheels and body of your car is from the driver's seat. Look at your car closely and see where your wheels are and how far back your rear bumper is from the wheel. Then get in the car and drive. By doing that when you reverse just visualize where your rear wheels are and you'll be able to estimate where your rear bumper is also. This is useful not only for reversing. When in tight spaces, being able to visualize where your wheels are can help you estimate whether you'll clear the kerb or not.

Great advice! I am gonna do this tomorrow, I roughly know but I think I will spend a little more time on this

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Thanks! I like the car to fit straight and swee swee kind, so I end up going in/out...a little not used to it

Last time, every time was a breeze, one time swee swee and done

I try not to go nose dive coz I found out that sometimes the front is too low for the lot and it scratches the underneath, also hard to come out of the lot due to blind spot and cannot see if there's any car coming

Definitely practicing every day

All the best in your hunt for the new ride!

If you want to get better faster then you can practise more often, else with time you will get the hang of it. I took a few months to figure out the best angle for parking my car, that's without purposely going out for parking practice. When I first got my licence I used to practise parking almost every night for both parallel and perpendicular parking.

↡ Advertisement