1999 ban on raw pork from Malaysia lifted

LiuDeHua

1999 ban on raw pork from Malaysia lifted

20150415_porkchop_reuters.jpg?itok=Iz8M_

Raw pork from Malaysia is back in markets here, marking the end of an import ban on the product for more than a decade.

The Agri-Food & Veterinary Authority (AVA) recently approved the import of frozen pork from one slaughterhouse in Sarawak.

The first consignment arrived here in February and, as of last month, about 9 tonnes of frozen pork products have been imported from there.

The ban on the import of live pigs and raw pork from Malaysian was introduced in 1999, after an outbreak of the Nipah virus. The virus, which is carried by pigs, killed 100 Malaysian pig farmers and an abattoir worker here.

A spokesman for AVA said Sarawak's state animal and veterinary public health programmes were assessed, and inspections were conducted at the pig farming area and slaughterhouse to ensure that their bio-security control measures and hygiene standards meet AVA's requirements.

"During our inspections, areas of improvement were highlighted, which the slaughterhouse rectified accordingly," she said.

A trial sample batch was also tested at AVA's Veterinary Public Health Laboratory and met food-safety requirements.

Austria was also approved as a new source of pork last year and, as of last month, about 175 tonnes of frozen pork from Austria have been exported to Singapore.

In April last year, Singapore imported its first batch of beef products from Britain since 1996, after AVA lifted its ban on deboned beef from Britain in September 2013.

Over the last year, around 2.5 tonnes of chilled or frozen beef products have been imported from 15 slaughterhouses.

The ban had been placed on British beef imports due to the threat of mad cow disease. At that point, Singapore was importing about 15 tonnes of beef from Britain, which made up about 0.12 per cent of overall beef imports.

AVA has since found the situation in Britain to be "well-controlled" and the threat of the disease "negligible". It added that, as a precaution, it allows the import of only deboned beef from cattle under 30 months of age as they have less nervous tissue, which reduces their risk of contracting the disease.

The spokesman said the agency will monitor all consignments and take the necessary action when there are food-safety lapses.

It will also continue to diversity its food sources.

"By buying from diverse sources, we are better buffered against potential short-term supply disruptions from any one source," she said.

[email protected]

- See more at: http://news.asiaone.com/news/singapore/1999-ban-raw-pork-malaysia-lifted#sthash.NeZwv7nx.dpuf

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

so can buy char-siew rice from JB?

Unless the 'char siew' cooked in JB but the raw meat must original from Sarawak ... [laugh]

What if they use JB 'Sua Tu' aka wild boars meat to pass off as Sarawak pork ... [grin]

Edited by Picnic06

Supersonic
(edited)

Nipah was an awe (and fear) inspiring virus. You should read more about the initial MY-SG outbreak and how it then evolved to a different major transmission mode (accompanied by respiratory symptomatology) in the Indian subcontinent, causing annual outbreaks in Bangladesh and India.

Bats are the root of it all. Rather, bat habitat destruction by humans is the real root cause. But bats are very bad news, as they harbour an incredible number of highly pathogenic viruses.

The fantastic thrilled Contagion is based on the Nipah virus (while incorporating a few elements from the SARS and H1N1 outbreaks). The closing sequence leading up to "Day 1" is an almost perfect encapsulation of how Nipah (and many other viruses) have been thought to enter the human population via bats.

(If you take the time/trouble to read about Nipah, then also read up on the Hendra virus. Didn't affect us as we are not an equestrian nation, but it caused havoc down under. A very similar virus to Nipah, in the same genus).

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 2

Is there 'pork' hamburger store in SG ? :huh:

I would like to try.

Mostly hamburger are all beef ... -_-

i believe basically any cooked poultry cannot come in.

Good lah! The pork from Australia not so tasty, got a funny smell. Ang mo pigs are grain fed?

Pork from Indonesia is not bad but hopefully the one from up North is good.

Wah . . after almost 15-16 years!

I would like to try.

u mean fastfood pork burgers? highly doubt so cos they are mostly halal.

u should be able to find what you want in restaurants..

i know fatboys do serve pork hamburgers! and its yummilicious

Turbocharged
(edited)

I would like to try.

Fatboys yo! Bacon stuffed pork patties OM NOM NOM

You can either do a custom burger with pork patty or pick one of their pork burgers (my personal favourite is the Jamaican Me Hungry).

edit: dammit beaten.

Edited by Myxilplix

Fatboys yo! Bacon stuffed pork patties OM NOM NOM

You can either do a custom burger with pork patty or pick one of their pork burgers (my personal favourite is the Jamaican Me Hungry).

edit: dammit beaten.

Thanks... [wave]

one more request, address of Fatboy ... ^_^

u mean fastfood pork burgers? highly doubt so cos they are mostly halal.

u should be able to find what you want in restaurants..

i know fatboys do serve pork hamburgers! and its yummilicious

Thanks..... [wave]