2015 Forester 2.0

subarudreamer

Turbocharged

One time I drove up Gunung Brinchang lookout towers, there was a Lexus RX having some problems going up a steep slope on the rough mud track. I tried to squeeze past him on the right which was very very tight and uphill. Those who drove there will know the mud road condition. My rear wheel got stuck in the ditch momentarily, but not too long before AWD traction resumes and I just drive on.

my (lowered) SG5 was scraping the road edge - where I had to go off to one side to give way to oncoming cars on the way up - on that road.

but yes, both left wheels in slippery mud, right wheels on tarmac. Still got good grip, even with the stock diffs and road tires.

the only time I struggled for grip was in heavy rain on NSHW, after wearing out both left side tires in sepang [crazy]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

the car is made to be more nimble than the outback. they already have the outback for spaciousness. in the US they have a 3.6l outback i think. not sure why they can't fit the outback with the 2.0l turbo also.

if only the forester can be more spacy a bit ...

the current forester has an x-mode button for even better grip.

but for TS' benefit, the non turbo will also benefit from the AWD on tarmac. i really enjoyed driving in the heavy downpour a few days after collecting the car. lol. u just have to drive the car normally.

the forester also came out tops in both the european and north american crash tests. in fact, so did every other subaru that is currently on sale. how come nobody is promoting subaru as a safe car? hasn't it shed its beng image yet?

One time I drove up Gunung Brinchang lookout towers, there was a Lexus RX having some problems going up a steep slope on the rough mud track. I tried to squeeze past him on the right which was very very tight and uphill. Those who drove there will know the mud road condition. My rear wheel got stuck in the ditch momentarily, but not too long before AWD traction resumes and I just drive on.

(edited)

i'm trying something which i m not sure if it will damage the cruise control haha. since it is very hard to "lut" when the car is in traffic anyway, i turn on and off my cruise control quite frequently, even at low speeds. the cruise control works from 35km/h onwards. fuel efficiency improved slightly.

i will be full of the subaru spirit when i head up north in it for the first time in june. [laugh]

Subaru is proud of being AWD, boxer engine & TC, leading in automotive industry, but they never care FC, even new Forester equipped CVT, if you concern FC, forget about Subaru, otherwise very soften on throttle, lose of Subaru spirit :D

Edited by subarudreamer

Subaru is not a main stream brand, will never be, I guess.

So, it is an acquired taste for the Subaru buyers, either you like the car and its features or you hate it.

This is my 2nd Subaru, my experience has been a positive one so far. Especially the current models with the lineartronic CVT. I find it a better drivetrain compare to the auto box used in the previous Forester model.

Cheers.

• Praise 3

i've just gone for the 1st servicing. they tried to sell me a polish package and an undercarriage insulation thinghy. my wife thought we should get that undercarriage thinghy which had 2 layers and cost $600. the DUO points from the purchase of the forester can dedcut $100. so still had to pay $500. but overall, they are polite and u can decline their recommendation and tell them u only want the servicing which is FOC, no problem at all.

Yes. The SE told me that also.
Personally tested the non turbo version twice.
I like the handling but worry on maintenance.
However the SE told me that the AD provide 5 years FOC servicing.
Not sure if there is any other hiden cost 😬

Turbocharged

if only the forester can be more spacy a bit ...

I find the current SJ-series forester already too big for my taste lol.

if want more space, I guess Outback (but less headroom) or Tribeca (discontinued) will be the other options in the Subaru stable.

Hypersonic

but for TS' benefit, the non turbo will also benefit from the AWD on tarmac. i really enjoyed driving in the heavy downpour a few days after collecting the car. lol. u just have to drive the car normally.

the forester also came out tops in both the european and north american crash tests. in fact, so did every other subaru that is currently on sale. how come nobody is promoting subaru as a safe car? hasn't it shed its beng image yet?

You cannot compare the local car with USA or Europe.

The safety spec the local AD bring in are very basic.

Like Impreza only had 2 airbags.

In Europe is very different, car that don't fit with ESP won't even allow to sell.

but all the other models, even XV, come with 6 to 7 airbags?

You cannot compare the local car with USA or Europe.

The safety spec the local AD bring in are very basic.

Like Impreza only had 2 airbags.

In Europe is very different, car that don't fit with ESP won't even allow to sell.

they have got the outback using the new DIT turbo charger BUT .... its only exclusively for china market . ..dang it

what a stupid strategy from subaru ..

the car is made to be more nimble than the outback. they already have the outback for spaciousness. in the US they have a 3.6l outback i think. not sure why they can't fit the outback with the 2.0l turbo also.

they have got the outback using the new DIT turbo charger BUT .... its only exclusively for china market . ..dang it

what a stupid strategy from subaru ..

Because in China if non-TC, non-DIT, then no market,

Sounds like X-Mode is a differential lock, like in Jeep and Land Rover. Subaru's AWD will detect the lost of traction and supply more torque to other wheels that has traction. It is a true SUV with comfort and safety, that's why they call it a crossover. There are other vehicles that looks like SUV, but cannot perform like a SUV except drinking fuel like SUV. Also, safety is not just about airbags, there are also among other things in Forester - roof strength test, rollover test, handling, crumple zone. Some airbags can kill .. like the recent Takata air bag recalls which I think include most major Japanese brands including Subaru.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/subaru-forester-given-top-rating-in-iihs-roof-strength-test-61937362.html

Turbo cars don't sell very well in the US, they are all about big engines and big space. Even Toyota Corolla there is 2.0L. Gasoline is cheap.

• Praise 2

but all the other models, even XV, come with 6 to 7 airbags?

XV comes with 7 airbags : )

I installed front and rear diff skid plates, and vehicle raised slightly with higher profile tyres. Always ready for the next adventure. [laugh]

my (lowered) SG5 was scraping the road edge - where I had to go off to one side to give way to oncoming cars on the way up - on that road.

but yes, both left wheels in slippery mud, right wheels on tarmac. Still got good grip, even with the stock diffs and road tires.

the only time I struggled for grip was in heavy rain on NSHW, after wearing out both left side tires in sepang [crazy]

(edited)

Sounds like X-Mode is a differential lock, like in Jeep and Land Rover. Subaru's AWD will detect the lost of traction and supply more torque to other wheels that has traction. It is a true SUV with comfort and safety, that's why they call it a crossover. There are other vehicles that looks like SUV, but cannot perform like a SUV except drinking fuel like SUV. Also, safety is not just about airbags, there are also among other things in Forester - roof strength test, rollover test, handling, crumple zone. Some airbags can kill .. like the recent Takata air bag recalls which I think include most major Japanese brands including Subaru.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/subaru-forester-given-top-rating-in-iihs-roof-strength-test-61937362.html

Far from it. I believe the system in Forester is an electronic AWD system where the computer do most of the analysing of the traction, wheel slips and shift power to the wheels accordingly. It can't do low differential driving eg. over big rocks and climb really step incline like Jeep and Land Rover. If you find out more what Subaru uses is called Torque Vectoring.

Cons of AWD is increased FC coz it's always on (unlike a 4WD system that you can unlock the diff for fuel economy), increased weight(same for 4WD), not as good as 4WD system when it comes to extreme off road.

Pros no need to say as most mentioned them already.

What Audi uses is mechanical AWD system for their Quattro. It's very complex & costly to repair should anything go wrong.

AWD is more suited for part tarmac, part gravel, part dirt driving conditions. In Singapore unless your fuel bill is sponsored it makes more economical sense to drive something 2 wheel drive.

Edited by Watwheels

Wondering about the insurance for the car...

Subaru + Turbo = Higher premiums?

not really true, because its OMV low

• Praise 1

not significantly different from other 2l cars.

perhaps only wrx a little higher than xt.

Wondering about the insurance for the car...

Subaru + Turbo = Higher premiums?

↡ Advertisement