2015 Forester 2.0

subarudreamer

Hi bros,

New XT owner here :) I accidently threw away the key plate . Did not know what it is used for until i read the manual. Anyone know how much is the replacement? Asked my SE but he told me to ask the mechanics during 1st servicing.

post-166668-0-70736300-1449205363_thumb.jpg

↡ Advertisement

Agreed. If the car is required to drive up north, then what you meant is very valid. But what you meant is minority. Cant represent the typical owner that doesn't drive up north.

From my daily travels, I notice the vast majority of Foresters being sold are the XT (different bumper design). The fact there are choices available on the market simply means that different people have different needs. The best choice for yourself may not be the best choice for the next guy.

I suspect for the guys who went XT they value the following:

For a $10,000 price premium, $900 more annual depreciation, $2 more annual road tax, and 0.9km/litre more thirst, they get 4k more OMV, 89 more horsepower, 152 more newton metres torque, electric tailgate, 18 inch alloys, and some other interior bits and bobs. I've left out insurance, because it is dependent on the individual.

For an SUV that runs 4WD, a 2 litre motor putting out 140hp is barely adequate. You're down more than 50% horsepower, 50% slower to 100kph and only return 1km/litre more in fuel economy? I call that a bad tradeoff. I'd take the XT anytime over the 2.0i. But that's me. 

You could throw 10k at a 2.0i and not get it near the XT. According to SGCarmart, MI's margin on the 2.0i is 28%, and 22% on the XT. With a much better feature set, and a thinner profit margin, for the buyer, the XT is a better deal, even without factoring performance into the equation.

• Praise 5

good point ... [thumbsup]

You could throw 10k at a 2.0i and not get it near the XT. According to SGCarmart, MI's margin on the 2.0i is 28%, and 22% on the XT. With a much better feature set, and a thinner profit margin, for the buyer, the XT is a better deal, even without factoring performance into the equation.

No point all the argument here.

Just buy the model that you like. Everyone has different priority...there is no really right or wrong on both model.

For me, I will go for the XT  :grin:

• Praise 1

No idea. If XT is that worthy than the N.A. counterpart, why would more than 50% in the Forester.org vote for the N.A. vs the XT, even though most of vocal member are XT owner?

Not to mention that their list price difference over there is not more than 3k. Ours price is higher over here for XT is due to the 5k penalty on Cevs. Probably the mass market still prefer reliability, cheaper to maintain than power. Just like over in sg, why many ppls still prefer made in Thailand vs those made in Japan even though at the bottom of our heart, we know that made in Japan is better

From my daily travels, I notice the vast majority of Foresters being sold are the XT (different bumper design). The fact there are choices available on the market simply means that different people have different needs. The best choice for yourself may not be the best choice for the next guy.

I suspect for the guys who went XT they value the following:

For a $10,000 price premium, $900 more annual depreciation, $2 more annual road tax, and 0.9km/litre more thirst, they get 4k more OMV, 89 more horsepower, 152 more newton metres torque, electric tailgate, 18 inch alloys, and some other interior bits and bobs. I've left out insurance, because it is dependent on the individual.

For an SUV that runs 4WD, a 2 litre motor putting out 140hp is barely adequate. You're down more than 50% horsepower, 50% slower to 100kph and only return 1km/litre more in fuel economy? I call that a bad tradeoff. I'd take the XT anytime over the 2.0i. But that's me. 

From another perspective, it is not a good pt. If XT is better or higher seller, why would MI want to earn thinner profit than the N.A? It could mean that MI take the cut in order to attract more buyer [sly]

good point ... [thumbsup]

because target customer

not everyone wants to throw in additional $10k

so the only way is to reduce profit margin

if want buyer to part additional $10k must give better value

you compare bmw 520 and 528 in fact 528 is more value for money in view for the specs and power but not everyone wants to pay more

From another perspective, it is not a good pt. If XT is better or higher seller, why would MI want to earn thinner profit than the N.A? It could mean that MI take the cut in order to attract more buyer [sly]

Depending on how ones view matter positively or negatively. In someone perspective, some may view as argument but in my perspective, I view as debating by highlighting each other school of thought. A rational person (e.g. potential buyer) will gain from this debate and analyse themselves rather than being clouded by only one sided comment to choose which car suit them better [:)]

No point all the argument here.

Just buy the model that you like. Everyone has different priority...there is no really right or wrong on both model.

For me, I will go for the XT  :grin:

Edited by Axela72

Axela72,

Thanks for all your views.  Your spend a lot of time on the forum, even during working hours. You run your own business?

Forester.Org folks have the 2.5L NA. Not our local 2.0NA

Anyway, agree to each his own. Turbo does not necessarily mean higher maintenance. Likewise, a badly maintained NA will give more issues.

You got the 2.0NA, right? Congrats on the ride...

• Praise 1

Depending on how ones view matter positively or negatively. In someone perspective, some may view as argument but in my perspective, I view as debating by highlighting each other school of thought. A rational person (e.g. potential buyer) will gain from this debate and analyse themselves rather than being clouded by only one sided comment to choose which car suit them better [:)]

whoever buy Forester major reasons,

1. Performance: enjoy X3, Q5, XC60, LR, NX200T performance, but paid less 100k 

2. AWD: Symmetrical

3. Safety Rating, 5-stars

if don't care this points, no meaning to buy forester,

Harrier, Vezel, QQ, Outlander, Xtrail... so many options, space, interior, FC, looks etc all much better than Forester

• Praise 1

Actual fact, i only start reading other forester forum after i have book the car. My earlier post is to hightlight on the 2 sec dwelling time on both start and stop for Turbo which someone here previous stated not required. Nothing to do with other aspect until someone touch on them.

I am clearing my annual leave atm. So very free.

Yr comment On maintainence is again subjective. Not apple to apple comparsion. U should compare the same owner that poorly maintain his N.A. vs his Turbo. I bet his N.A. will last slightly longer than his Turbo:) pls correct me if i am wrong. Ty

Axela72,

Thanks for all your views. Your spend a lot of time on the forum, even during working hours. You run your own business?

Forester.Org folks have the 2.5L NA. Not our local 2.0NA

Anyway, agree to each his own. Turbo does not necessarily mean higher maintenance. Likewise, a badly maintained NA will give more issues.

You got the 2.0NA, right? Congrats on the ride...

Edited by Axela72

Fun is in the drive and not necessarily getting to your destination faster.

Moreover for every traffic light that retained the faster guy, there's always one that let him pass but not the slower guy. =)

In your content "fun" mean u can overtake other car easily because you are not skilled enough do it with a less performance car or, can speed a 150km/h at expressway?

In our country, every now and then is traffic jam. Even someone manage to overtake me, I will tell them that "see you at next traffic light." And truly, that someone is waiting for me at next traffic light [laugh]

Frankly I am not sure why we are chatting on maintenance of NA vs Turbo.

If you book an NA, enjoy and take good care of it. We know you booked one, so good on your and your NA's longevity.

Subaru is a pretty reliable car to start off with, minus the oil leak issues in the 2.5NA in the pre 2014 models, which has since been rectified.

Have fun !

Probably someone whom used to drive a more powerful car previously may not feel that it is fun to drive a 2L N.A. car. When 1st test drive N.A. forester, I already feel shiok because I seldom drive a > 1.6L car. likewise, if I drive a 1k torque car, I may not feel fun to drive because I may not be able to control the car and resultant to accident [laugh]

Vs my current Honda Jazz, both Forester will be fun. The thing I will miss from my Jazz is the flat center back seat. :p

Probably someone whom used to drive a more powerful car previously may not feel that it is fun to drive a 2L N.A. car. When 1st test drive N.A. forester, I already feel shiok because I seldom drive a > 1.6L car. likewise, if I drive a 1k torque car, I may not feel fun to drive because I may not be able to control the car and resultant to accident [laugh]

ROFL.

130hp 1 ton -> 150hp 1.5 ton

this topic is kind of quiet vs the rest lately. creating subject to keep the thread going [laugh]

Frankly I am not sure why we are chatting on maintenance of NA vs Turbo.

Hahah..

It seems like FXT is crap to you. I wouldn't imagine what is your impression of Forester NA then.

Put bluntly, if it wasn't a family car I'd consider it. If it were a little more nimble, or a little quicker, I personally wouldn't mind having a turbocharger. But it's a family car, it's meant to carry your kids and your stuff from Point A to Point B in a comfortable, safe manner. It's not meant for the track, it's not meant to zip in and out of traffic, and it's not meant to race kids in Mustangs driving down the highway.

I couldn't have said it better. Coming from LGT, it's really nothing to shout about, not in terms of speed, handling, or agility. It's just a safe, taller vehicle which my passengers prefer. It can't corner for nuts despite being the XT version, it's heavy and sluggish unless you boost, and then your fuel efficiency goes down. It's not very luxurious or high class, or has lots of bells and whistles, and with the CVT, not that engaging to drive anyway.

I only buy it because there is not that many choices at that price.

You think people would mind driving a altis, mazda 3, civic if it comes with 400 bhp, 1000 torque?

Power is less important when it increase the cost of the selling price.

I total agreed with your comment if there is only "take" but not required to "give." It is a no brainer for someone whom don't want extra power without the requirement to "Give."

Nevertheless, if that extra power is so important, those small or mid size car (Altis, Mazda 3, Civic etc) can close shop already. Ppls should not drive a small cc B&B car as even a N.A. 2L can't even fit to drive on the road w/o and additional extra power given. In some turbo folk content,  it is less confident to drive in traffic condition  [laugh]

Haha.. Someone told me subaru AWD is crap and it is pointless in urban SG but RWD is much more important in SG. #fanboys

whoever buy Forester major reasons,

1. Performance: enjoy X3, Q5, XC60, LR, NX200T performance, but paid less 100k 

2. AWD: Symmetrical

3. Safety Rating, 5-stars

if don't care this points, no meaning to buy forester,

Harrier, Vezel, QQ, Outlander, Xtrail... so many options, space, interior, FC, looks etc all much better than Forester

Bro, you are the last person to know what is rational and what is irrational.

Your journey of choosing your ride is every bit contrary to the idea of rationality.

↡ Advertisement