2015 Forester 2.0

subarudreamer

1st part watch video in the theatre. After that the engineer will bring you to the car and explain to you parts of the engine bay and interior and operational use. What you can touch in the engine and what not to touch... what petrol grade to use for XT and which grade for NA.

I think it was quite good. I would recommend you to attend. If you got questions on your DUO points, got 1 personnel there to explain to you also.

So what's the engineer's recommendation of petrol grade for XT?
↡ Advertisement

He recommended 0W40 for XT. For NA he mentioned 0W30.

Sorry I meant the petrol grade. Any information from the engineer on that?

Sorry I meant the petrol grade. Any information from the engineer on that?

Not sure if he mentioned cos I left 20 mins early as I had something to attend to. My SE did tell me minimum to pump 95. But the book recommended 98. So I'll stick to the book. Pump 98.

If pump 95, obviously the car will lose horsepower. How can a lower grade petrol give you the same power as a higher one? Just my opinion  [:)]

Turbocharged

Not sure if he mentioned cos I left 20 mins early as I had something to attend to. My SE did tell me minimum to pump 95. But the book recommended 98. So I'll stick to the book. Pump 98.

If pump 95, obviously the car will lose horsepower. How can a lower grade petrol give you the same power as a higher one? Just my opinion [:)]

three considerations:

(Horse power lost & FC goes up) vs $$$ savings (98 vs 95 quite a bit nowadays). Almost $0.3 to 0.35/litre diff.

My experience with 95. Don't feel any HP lost on Caltex and SPC. Shell can really feel the HP lost. Esso not tried

FC : avg 8-10% more.

Edited by BenTong

Wow, you meant this is for NA or XT ?

So, 95 will increase your FC? That's interesting.

three considerations:

(Horse power lost & FC goes up) vs $$$ savings (98 vs 95 quite a bit nowadays)

My experience with 95. Don't feel any HP lost on Caltex and SPC. Shell can really feel the HP lost. Esso not tried

FC : avg 8-10% more.

Turbocharged

Wow, you meant this is for NA or XT ?

So, 95 will increase your FC? That's interesting.

On my previous OB. But still worth it. Coz the price differential b/w 95 vs 98 more than $0.35/litre vs FC increase by 10% or $0.17/litre Edited by BenTong
  • Praise 1

On my previous OB. But still worth it. Coz the price differential b/w 95 vs 98 more than $0.35/litre vs FC increase by 10% or $0.17/litre

That's a good way to calculate the savings.

From what I gathered so far, 95 is able to be used in the current generation XT turbo charged engine. But because of the higher compression characteristics of the turbo engine, 98 is still recommended by Subaru. For the XT, power reduction will happen when the engine sensor pick up pinging from the lower RON 95 used and subsequently reduce compression (resulting in power cut) to eliminate the pinging. Petrol RON are calculated to reduce engine ping according to each individual engine model's design and compression to achieve maximum/most efficient combustion and power. Therefore in the case of the XT, power reduction comes not directly from the RON level in 95, but rather from the ECU receiving signals to cut power when ping is detected to prevent engine damage.

So if I'm already spending that extra on the XT for the performance of a turbo charged engine, it make more sense to max out the performance from the turbo. Being able to switch to 95 is a good option in the newer engine. Maybe that will happen if petrol prices rocket to ridiculous levels beyond my pocket threshold....hahaha.

So far still on my 2nd tank after car collection and using RON 98. I will try RON 95 after my 1st servicing and see if I can feel any discernible real life difference during driving.

I would strongly advise those with FXT to pump RON98, esp since the compression ratio is quite high. 

it's not just about 95 resulting in less power but also whether it causes knocking which can be very damaging to the engine.  the FXT has knock sensors which will retard the ignition timing if knocking occurs but it's safer to just pump 98 in case the sensors malfunction

• Praise 1

I would strongly advise those with FXT to pump RON98, esp since the compression ratio is quite high.

it's not just about 95 resulting in less power but also whether it causes knocking which can be very damaging to the engine. the FXT has knock sensors which will retard the ignition timing if knocking occurs but it's safer to just pump 98 in case the sensors malfunction

From sgcarmart, XT comp ratio is 10.6, just 0.1 higher than NA. Is 10.6 considered high? I have always thought that the Mazda skyactiv engine comp ratio at 14.0 is considered high. But i do agree that follow the car manual to pump the correct fuel type is the best bet.

Hi guys, this is my first Subaru, collecting my car next week! 

Is it true that for AWD vehicles, if anything happen to one tire need to change all to match? If one tire punctured, or bald, all must change together?  

From sgcarmart, XT comp ratio is 10.6, just 0.1 higher than NA. Is 10.6 considered high? I have always thought that the Mazda skyactiv engine comp ratio at 14.0 is considered high. But i do agree that follow the car manual to pump the correct fuel type is the best bet.

The XT has a higher compression ratio of just 0.6 than the NA. I think there should be more variables to consider when taking into account compression ratio to necessitate the need for higher octane gas. The ridiculously powerful Nissan Skyline GTR R35 has a compression ratio of 9:1, so does the Mitsubishi Evo 10.

Like you mentioned, just follow the recommendation from the manual will be the safest bet for the car (provided it's in stock form).

Edited by razor54

Hi guys, this is my first Subaru, collecting my car next week! 

Is it true that for AWD vehicles, if anything happen to one tire need to change all to match? If one tire punctured, or bald, all must change together?  

change in pair good enough... if money no issue change 4

I don't really seen any car that had a bold tire one sided, if that's the case perhaps your alignment is way way out. 

I always changed mine all 4 together as they wore out quite evenly.

it's not just about 95 resulting in less power but also whether it causes knocking which can be very damaging to the engine. the FXT has knock sensors which will retard the ignition timing if knocking occurs but it's safer to just pump 98 in case the sensors malfunction

EJ25 turbo has no issue with 95RON. FB20DIT need 98RON?

Seriously, u guys think u really need so much power?

I advise that you drive on S# for a whole day or week before you decide if that is really what you want. It may be too much to handle for normal situations with this stock setup of not so great tyres and stock brakes.

Edited by Sarion

Turbocharged

EJ25 turbo has no issue with 95RON. FB20DIT need 98RON?

Seriously, u guys think u really need so much power?

I advise that you drive on S# for a whole day or week before you decide if that is really what you want. It may be too much to handle for normal situations with this stock setup of not so great tyres and stock brakes.

True true BHP 250. Stock brakes, stock tyres, stock Drivers...

The XT has a higher compression ratio of just 0.6 than the NA. I think there should be more variables to consider when taking into account compression ratio to necessitate the need for higher octane gas. The ridiculously powerful Nissan Skyline GTR R35 has a compression ratio of 9:1, so does the Mitsubishi Evo 10.

Like you mentioned, just follow the recommendation from the manual will be the safest bet for the car (provided it's in stock form).

What is your FC rate?

Mine 11km/L 20/80 city/highway FXT. 2nd tank.

What is your FC rate?

Mine 11km/L 20/80 city/highway FXT. 2nd tank.

Mileage 1000th now. FC at 10.2km/L 50/50 highway/city.
↡ Advertisement