2015 Forester 2.0

subarudreamer

Hypersonic

Hi Bros, just to share a bit on my impression of the forester after a short test drive.

Went to test drive Forester 2.0, 2.0xt, qashqai 1.2tT, and qashqai 2.0 ytd (Sunday). Previously driven Mazda CX5 2.0 and Honda CRV 2.0 before. This afternoon, went back sign the deal for forester 2.0xt... Its pure poison.. Addictive turbo, really easily to drive even light footed, strong brakes.

The qashqai 1.2T was a huge disappointment, and I'm curious to see so many of them on the roads nowadays??? Engine rev till 1.5 rpm, 1.8k rpm, 2k rpm, all i hear is engine noise, the car didn't quite move... Its only > 2k rpm then the turbo kicks in and the car can move normally. The 2.0L was a lot more predictable and easier to drive. But of course, it has lesser power and struggles a bit when overtaking or sudden acceleration.

Hopefully can get coe on 18 May ;)

Anyone did paint protection on your Forester? Recommendations? Thanks in advance.

Hahaha...

Should ask those from QQ thread to come and read your review.

↡ Advertisement

Hi Bros, just to share a bit on my impression of the forester after a short test drive.

Went to test drive Forester 2.0, 2.0xt, qashqai 1.2tT, and qashqai 2.0 ytd (Sunday). Previously driven Mazda CX5 2.0 and Honda CRV 2.0 before. This afternoon, went back sign the deal for forester 2.0xt... Its pure poison.. Addictive turbo, really easily to drive even light footed, strong brakes. 

The qashqai 1.2T was a huge disappointment, and I'm curious to see so many of them on the roads nowadays??? Engine rev till 1.5 rpm, 1.8k rpm, 2k rpm, all i hear is engine noise, the car didn't quite move... Its only > 2k rpm then the turbo kicks in and the car can move normally. The 2.0L was a lot more predictable and easier to drive. But of course, it has lesser power and struggles a bit when overtaking or sudden acceleration.

Hopefully can get coe on 18 May ;)

Anyone did paint protection on your Forester? Recommendations? Thanks in advance.

How much QQ price lower than FXT ?

That's y I said IMO: in my opinion. There are other mods which are better value for $. Different strokes for different folks...

What warranty on the bumper are you concerned with? It's a part which pp rarely claims warranty for... the sti front and rear lips are quite straightforward to install at outside workshops. Can go to BMS or BKS which are familiar with Subaru

Don't think u can order from the Subaru official website. they will refer you to local agent motorimage which doesn't currently sell the black edition parts

I mean MI will come out with all sorts of BS reasons to void any warranty right? so even if SE say can buy outside and fix, I don't really think can believe 100%...

Hahaha...

Wait get bashed.. Then you have alot of reasons why QQ is better than Forester LOL

(edited)

Does it come with auto-levelling mechanism? I agree it looks great on the road!

If you are referring to whether the headlight automatically adjust the beam height depending on the load carried by the car, then yes: the facelifted model with LED headlamps has auto levelling mechanism. It's in manual page 3-103

I mean MI will come out with all sorts of BS reasons to void any warranty right? so even if SE say can buy outside and fix, I don't really think can believe 100%...

It depends on what parts you fix outside. Surely MI cannot void your warranty on critical parts like engine, gearbox, ECU just becos you fix the STI front and lips...

If you are very concerned with warranty, then stock is best for you. Pay $5k more and get the black edition. Fewer worries

Edited by Jamesgetz
  • Praise 1

(edited)

Just to share, I collected my FXT last Friday. Since then, I've already travelled close to 400km. I used to drive a VW Twincharged Jetta (and before that a hawkeye WRX) so it took me a while to get used to the high sitting position, "floaty" but comfy suspension and relatively large car size.

Instead of writing a full review, I will pen down 3 things of each category:

3 things I love about this car:

1) full LED headlamps (gorgeous!)

2) electrical tailgate (but a bit slow)

3) excellent view of car surrounding when driving

3 things I dislike about this car:

1) tiny hooks in the trunk. Can't hold grocery bags or packet food securely

2) overly sensitive auto-sensing headlights and it makes an audible click when it's turns on

3) squeaky/mousey horn (I just changed to Hella twin tone at nam huat so 1 less thing to dislike)

For those who are into modding their cars, check out eBay, Japanparts.com and subispeed. Lots of parts which are not available here and sometimes much cheaper. For eg, I got the original Subaru rear bumper cargo step cover for S$110 including shipping from eBay. MI sells it for $210 and it comes with "SUBARU" words which I rather not have. The overseas version doesn't have the embossed words.

Hope new and potential owners find this info useful!

Edited by Jamesgetz
  • Praise 1

Hahaha...

Sure Tio bash like mad.

I did a fair test drive in both cars and I come from a Sylphy 1.6. So I'm not driving like a mad man. The qq 1.2T initial pick up is not smooth, u need to step in enough to catch turbo kick in before it pulls away gradually. Acceleration after that is smoother and more gradual, but the engine noise is pretty loud compared to my Sylphy. I feel like I always need to maintain above 2k rpm on a normal

Road for the car to accelerate to about 60-70kmph. The engine is really not smooth and quiet like the Sylphy 1.6 or qq 2.0. I them understand why the 2.0 is the premium version with more tech and higher selling price.

This also made me understand how my fren drives his Jetta tsi1.4 (the one with single turbo). He normally step in a bit more ie past 2 k to move off the car before he release pedal and step in gradually to maintain acceleration. I think it's something that got to do with smaller cc engine with single turbo.

The Forester Xt in Si mode is already very relaxing to drive and responsive. In s# mode it becomes a different Monster. Lol...

How much QQ price lower than FXT ?

For those interested, qq 1.2t after all discounts is 115k. Forester Xt after all discount is $124k as of 8 May price.

Qq is a nice car to drive as it has a comfortable suspension setup, pretty good handling, good front seats. Back seats a bit cramp and head room is pretty Low due to sloping design. Cargo space is reasonable for the seize. Safety features not bad. Got iso fix and 6 air bags. Overall a good family car if driven patiently.

How much QQ price lower than FXT ?

For those interested, qq 1.2t after all discounts is 115k. Forester Xt after all discount is $124k as of 8 May price.

Qq is a nice car to drive as it has a comfortable suspension setup, pretty good handling, good front seats. Back seats a bit cramp and head room is pretty Low due to sloping design. Cargo space is reasonable for the seize. Safety features not bad. Got iso fix and 6 air bags. Overall a good family car if driven patiently.

I collected the XT last week. 

Testing a car and owning it very different.  

What I love:

1. The ride height and vantage 

2. The power

3. Memory seat 

What I hate:

1. The consumption

2. The road noise

3. No coin storage compartment

May go do sound deadening if I can find a cheaper Malaysian one.  In SG it can cost quite a bit I understand.

What I love:

2. The power

3. Memory seat

What I hate:

1. The consumption

2. The road noise

May go do sound deadening if I can find a cheaper Malaysian one. In SG it can cost quite a bit I understand.

Am going to get the XT within the next 2 months.

From what I read cabin noise is relatively good for its class. Guess its relative.

My impression of memory seat is that if you have 2 drivers, the seat position , lumbar support etc are set with a push of a button. Is that correct?

Huh. With such a price. I sure get forester.

It's a totally different animal

What I love:

2. The power

3. Memory seat

What I hate:

1. The consumption

2. The road noise

May go do sound deadening if I can find a cheaper Malaysian one. In SG it can cost quite a bit I understand.

U very uncle leh. Hehehee. Coin storage compartment.

Just to share, I collected my FXT last Friday. Since then, I've already travelled close to 400km. I used to drive a VW Twincharged Jetta (and before that a hawkeye WRX) so it took me a while to get used to the high sitting position, "floaty" but comfy suspension and relatively large car size.

Instead of writing a full review, I will pen down 3 things of each category:

3 things I love about this car:

1) full LED headlamps (gorgeous!)

2) electrical tailgate (but a bit slow)

3) excellent view of car surrounding when driving

3 things I dislike about this car:

1) tiny hooks in the trunk. Can't hold grocery bags or packet food securely

2) overly sensitive auto-sensing headlights and it makes an audible click when it's turns on

3) squeaky/mousey horn (I just changed to Hella twin tone at nam huat so 1 less thing to dislike)

For those who are into modding their cars, check out eBay, Japanparts.com and subispeed. Lots of parts which are not available here and sometimes much cheaper. For eg, I got the original Subaru rear bumper cargo step cover for S$110 including shipping from eBay. MI sells it for $210 and it comes with "SUBARU" words which I rather not have. The overseas version doesn't have the embossed words.

Hope new and potential owners find this info useful!

Which seller did you buy from? Is the part number E771SSG300?

Hypersonic

What I love:

2. The power

3. Memory seat 

What I hate:

1. The consumption

2. The road noise

May go do sound deadening if I can find a cheaper Malaysian one.  In SG it can cost quite a bit I understand.

Change the tyre..

What I love:

2. The power

3. Memory seat

What I hate:

1. The consumption

2. The road noise

The tray at the central armrest console has some slots to put some coins...if you really need one.

Am going to get the XT within the next 2 months.

From what I read cabin noise is relatively good for its class. Guess its relative.

My impression of memory seat is that if you have 2 drivers, the seat position , lumbar support etc are set with a push of a button. Is that correct?

For the current Forester, the tyres played a role in contributing to the road noise. The Bridgestones supplied are not the quietest out there.

Yes, there are 2 memory buttons for 2 preset settings. Very useful if you have 2 drivers for the car.

I just brought the car for servicing this am.

I was advised to top up for the anti rust under carriage coating at $290 before GST coz service centre said the new model doesn't come with it, unlike previous model. Said can prevent rust for 1 more year if so. 1 yr only? Any experience from other Forester owners?

Also, I was told there is nothing they can do about the reversing camera alignment that isn't straight and accurate. If i follow the corner lines indicated my reverse camera, my car will be parked very slanted. It even shows at bottom of camera (car boot) is slanted meaning camera is not aligned straight.

But Subara said it is a common problem and there is nothing they can do about it. Why like that? 

[[[For those who are into modding their cars, check out eBay, Japanparts.com and subispeed. Lots of parts which are not available here and sometimes much cheaper. For eg, I got the original Subaru rear bumper cargo step cover for S$110 including shipping from eBay. MI sells it for $210 and it comes with "SUBARU" words which I rather not have. The overseas version doesn't have the embossed words.]]]

Are you referring to the black rubber thing that rest on the top of the rear bumper? I am looking for the one that has the words "Forester" on it.

Any leads?

I just brought the car for servicing this am.

I was advised to top up for the anti rust under carriage coating at $290 before GST coz service centre said the new model doesn't come with it, unlike previous model. Said can prevent rust for 1 more year if so. 1 yr only? Any experience from other Forester owners?

Also, I was told there is nothing they can do about the reversing camera alignment that isn't straight and accurate. If i follow the corner lines indicated my reverse camera, my car will be parked very slanted. It even shows at bottom of camera (car boot) is slanted meaning camera is not aligned straight.

But Subara said it is a common problem and there is nothing they can do about it. Why like that?

Wow these 2 things you brought up really suck.. lets hopefully hear from others.

My wife die die told me she needs reverse camera, if she depends on it sure park slanted.

↡ Advertisement