2015 Forester 2.0

subarudreamer

My pre-FL-FXT was rear-ended. Sturdy fella still drove well after for 2-weeks, even up NSHW to KL, while insurance got sorted out.

Then it went into workshop for a 2-week repair. Replacement rental was previous model Forester 2.0X registered in 2012. Comparison is like chalk and cheese. Everything about FXT is better:

- Torque and Power - I dare to do things with FXT that I wouldn't otherwise

- Strength and Stability, confidence in motion

- Amazingly, despite above, the FC is better: 10-10.5 v 9-9.5 km/l

- Natural responsive steering and just the right-size steering wheel

- Smooth linear CVT - so easy to drive

- Solid brakes

- Higher ride height

- Interior cabin materials

- Climate control

- NWH is well controlled (don't really think additional sp is needed)

- Rear-view mirrors - placement at the door and size gives a really good view

- HK sound is balanced and with good bass, it's really good to me (I'm not an audiophile even though I have a decent Hi-Fi set up at home)

- Long list of bells and whistles

FXT is a really good car. The improvements made by Subaru all round is stunning. No surprise it's such a best-seller that they can't make enough of it. Told that since December, MI has been selling @300 units/month up from 200.

And let me say that I'm very pleased with the repair job and the fantastic service staff at MI. Kudos.

• Praise 4

My pre-FL-FXT was rear-ended. Sturdy fella still drove well after for 2-weeks, even up NSHW to KL, while insurance got sorted out.

Then it went into workshop for a 2-week repair. Replacement rental was previous model Forester 2.0X registered in 2012. Comparison is like chalk and cheese. Everything about FXT is better:

- Torque and Power - I dare to do things with FXT that I wouldn't otherwise

- Strength and Stability, confidence in motion

- Amazingly, despite above, the FC is better: 10-10.5 v 9-9.5 km/l

- Natural responsive steering and just the right-size steering wheel

- Smooth linear CVT - so easy to drive

- Solid brakes

- Higher ride height

- Interior cabin materials

- Climate control

- NWH is well controlled (don't really think additional sp is needed)

- Rear-view mirrors - placement at the door and size gives a really good view

- HK sound is balanced and with good bass, it's really good to me (I'm not an audiophile even though I have a decent Hi-Fi set up at home)

- Long list of bells and whistles

FXT is a really good car. The improvements made by Subaru all round is stunning. No surprise it's such a best-seller that they can't make enough of it. Told that since December, MI has been selling @300 units/month up from 200.

And let me say that I'm very pleased with the repair job and the fantastic service staff at MI. Kudos.

Glad to see a nice review on the fxt by a bro here. I'm driving the FL fxt current. Sometimes, i just wanna share with others how great the fxt is but I'm trying to be modest and often just keep my mouth shout. After trying quite a number of German rides, I actually tot that they r not that fantastic as I had initially expected. Maybe I had expected more due to the higher pricing and better branding.

Got to agreed that the service staff at MI are great.

• Praise 1

Yeah the bitumen sample feels heavy. The door feels heavier and less hollow. I was told the clasani undercarriage coating weighs about 10kg. So now my car is 1670kg + 20kg = 1690kg. This is same weight as BMW 5 series Liao. Almost 1.7 ton. Plus me just nice 1.7 ton.

The thing about sound proofing is that once u get used to the quieter ride, u tend to take it for granted after a while. Until u go take other people's rides then u will appreciate your ride again. Lol...

I did 3 layers of the different Clasani undercarriage coatings (anti-rust + sounds dampening + undercarriage protector) so I sure hope that doesn't mean I'm carrying around 30kg. I'm going to optimistically assume the sound dampening coating is the heaviest, so hopefully my Legacy's total weight gain's no more than 20kg so far. Road noise bugged me the most though and it's been significantly reduced so even if I put on lots of weight, it was worth it.

You're driving FXT-model tank now, issit? No lah, 1.7 ton not that bad yet lah. And that's the beauty of heaving more torque and hp than you strictly need for local roads - you can handle weight gain easily. Power to spare is useful.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Change Shock. Good for forester.

Abit skeptical on the brand. Is it by Marvel? It looks like Hulk's coilover....will it "SMASH"? [laugh]

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Glad to see a nice review on the fxt by a bro here. I'm driving the FL fxt current. Sometimes, i just wanna share with others how great the fxt is but I'm trying to be modest and often just keep my mouth shout. After trying quite a number of German rides, I actually tot that they r not that fantastic as I had initially expected. Maybe I had expected more due to the higher pricing and better branding.

Bro, there are plenty of FXT reviews here if you really read the whole thread, including one written by me.

Its just that after awhile when the honeymoon period is over then you start to realize some of the weakness of this car and wished they fixed them.

However despite those drawbacks, it's still a blast to drive after 1 year of ownership.

No regrets from me...

You r not alone bro..my previous few rides were all german and 1 uk..and i am with you that they r not that fantastic..other than their prestiges badge..

It took alot of decision before i decided to come back to jap cars after more than 10 years..and i am glad i chose FXT..

On my last comment on bmw and lexus quiet..for bro who dont understand what i am driving at..i am saying that my F10 dont have great insulation as compared to FXT..where else my previous lexus is dead quiet..i m not comparing bmw and lexus..each has their plus points..FXT too..it has its plus points and negative points..i m just trying to be objective here..

(edited)

Bro, there are plenty of FXT reviews here if you really read the whole thread, including one written by me.

Its just that after awhile when the honeymoon period is over then you start to realize some of the weakness of this car and wished they fixed them.

However despite those drawbacks, it's still a blast to drive after 1 year of ownership.

No regrets from me...

Read your review. It was a good one! At its price, I feel it s the best bang for buck in today's market :)

I bought the Mazda CX-5 when it first came out at a much higher price and believe me, that car has many more drawbacks compared to our fxt. Despite the big hoo haa on how fantastic mazda's handling is, dunno wat 1 man 1 horse, blah.... The handling was indeed good at low speeds, but it fare terribly at higher speeds and least to say in poor weathers. And of course, u need to be patient to get to higher speeds. Hah. If not for the good pricing of the fxt, an average joe like me will nv have a chance to own such a good car like the fxt.

Well, I'm one happy fxt owner as well. Quite some marvellous engineering by Subaru!

Edited by mrhan1982

You r not alone bro..my previous few rides were all german and 1 uk..and i am with you that they r not that fantastic..other than their prestiges badge..

It took alot of decision before i decided to come back to jap cars after more than 10 years..and i am glad i chose FXT..

On my last comment on bmw and lexus quiet..for bro who dont understand what i am driving at..i am saying that my F10 dont have great insulation as compared to FXT..where else my previous lexus is dead quiet..i m not comparing bmw and lexus..each has their plus points..FXT too..it has its plus points and negative points..i m just trying to be objective here..

Yup i agree with u Lexus are pretty damn quiet. Sat in a gs300 before and I nv experience the same level of quietness in a 3 or 5 series ( both current gen). Also sat in a previous gen A4 and omg the suspension was so stiff and uncomfortable... I often take my friend's Jetta 1.4tsi, handling, comfort and performance seriously nuttin to rave about for the price.

I did 3 layers of the different Clasani undercarriage coatings (anti-rust + sounds dampening + undercarriage protector) so I sure hope that doesn't mean I'm carrying around 30kg. I'm going to optimistically assume the sound dampening coating is the heaviest, so hopefully my Legacy's total weight gain's no more than 20kg so far. Road noise bugged me the most though and it's been significantly reduced so even if I put on lots of weight, it was worth it.

You're driving FXT-model tank now, issit? No lah, 1.7 ton not that bad yet lah. And that's the beauty of heaving more torque and hp than you strictly need for local roads - you can handle weight gain easily. Power to spare is useful.

The clasani under coat got so many layers!? I didn't know. I paid $290 for mine. How much u paid for yours? I only saw 2 piece of stickers on boot window with clasani on it. Not sure I got the sound damping for under carriage.

I lug 2 x 5 tiers plastic storage containers from citylife warehouse ytd. Heng got suv, else jialat. Saw a Altis owner trying very hard to squeeze a smaller 4 tier into his boot.. I still got loads of space left and went for the week's grocery shopping. Hehe.

Saw a few levorg around recently. Really nice car with the scoop. If not for the tighter driver seat and rear seats, I might have gotten it. They should make a 2L turbo for it. I'm always carrying a lot of stuff and weight. Quite a pity.

The clasani under coat got so many layers!? I didn't know. I paid $290 for mine. How much u paid for yours? I only saw 2 piece of stickers on boot window with clasani on it. Not sure I got the sound damping for under carriage.

I lug 2 x 5 tiers plastic storage containers from citylife warehouse ytd. Heng got suv, else jialat. Saw a Altis owner trying very hard to squeeze a smaller 4 tier into his boot.. I still got loads of space left and went for the week's grocery shopping. Hehe.

Saw a few levorg around recently. Really nice car with the scoop. If not for the tighter driver seat and rear seats, I might have gotten it. They should make a 2L turbo for it. I'm always carrying a lot of stuff and weight. Quite a pity.

Clasani anti-rust and sound dampening layers are $290 each. Undercarriage protector (more physical protection than anything else) is $250. As you can tell, I was quite kiasu about this, but figured any undercarriage layer will help to dampen sound to some degree, so the more the merrier, lol. Plus being able to claim Duo points helped.

I wouldn't have done much better than the Altis though my boot quite deep. You really got a lot of storage space!

Levorg does come in 2.0DIT - just not in Singapore. Very sleek car. I'd have considered too if it had more rear legroom and HK sound system. 1.6T enough for Singapore lah. Oh sorry, I forgot, talking to FXT driver here. Just disturbing you lah, bro.

Clasani anti-rust and sound dampening layers are $290 each. Undercarriage protector (more physical protection than anything else) is $250. As you can tell, I was quite kiasu about this, but figured any undercarriage layer will help to dampen sound to some degree, so the more the merrier, lol. Plus being able to claim Duo points helped.

I wouldn't have done much better than the Altis though my boot quite deep. You really got a lot of storage space!

Levorg does come in 2.0DIT - just not in Singapore. Very sleek car. I'd have considered too if it had more rear legroom and HK sound system. 1.6T enough for Singapore lah. Oh sorry, I forgot, talking to FXT driver here. Just disturbing you lah, bro.

Power la bro. U spent so much for undercarriage coatings! Do u know if sound damping coating can still be done if already done anti rust?

After hearing you guys got good results with the Clasani sound dampening, my backside getting itchy too.

Got a few questions to ask. I already find my FL XT quite quiet on the move but some roads can be quite noisy still. Would just the Clasani Sound Dampening help in reducing road noise or do I still need SP for the 4 doors?

How much is the Clasani Sound Dampening service if we can offset by DUO points? Thanks.

(edited)

Power la bro. U spent so much for undercarriage coatings! Do u know if sound damping coating can still be done if already done anti rust?

Er, dun remind me, can  [bigcry] At least got difference. And it was bugging me more than everything else cuz I'm actually kind of okay with my stock door soundproofing. Of course, what I can't say is the difference each individual layer makes, but I'm still happy.

Which layer have you already done?

MI does it in this order:

1) Sound dampening (confirmed to be Clasani CS 8833), which is a smooth coating

2) Anti-rust (confirmed to be Clasani CS 705), which is a rough coating

3) Undercarriage protector (probably Clasani CS 706 though I still don't know; I intend to find out at some point)

So if you've already done anti-rust, I would assume you can't do it in MI's order anymore. Though there's nothing to say that MI's way is the only correct order. It does make sense though. CS 705 is described by local vendor Tonita (no idea if MI sources from them; just linked to them for info) as a sealant, so it makes sense to do CS 8833 first, then seal it in with CS 705.

Would just the Clasani Sound Dampening help in reducing road noise or do I still need SP for the 4 doors?

How much is the Clasani Sound Dampening service if we can offset by DUO points? Thanks.

Door soundproofing won't help much with road noise, so it sounds like the undercarriage Clasani sound dampening (CS 8833; see above) is what you're after... unless you want to be siao kiasu like me and do the full undercarriage works.

Duo points redemption is complicated (you have to consider minimum spending, etc), so you'll have to either work it out yourself by referring to the Duo website, or ask MI to help you.

Edited by Muser

Anyone can advise what is the Fog Light bulb type for forester xt facelift version. My car is 2 weeks old. On the manual it says "Models with steering response fog light systems" is H16 and without the steering response system is H11. I know our low beam light is steering response system, but is the fog light steering response as well?

Anyone can advise what is the Fog Light bulb type for forester xt facelift version. My car is 2 weeks old. On the manual it says "Models with steering response fog light systems" is H16 and without the steering response system is H11. I know our low beam light is steering response system, but is the fog light steering response as well?

The fog light doesn't have steering response... use the H16 bulbs. 

Side track - anyone changed their fog bulbs to LED? I am thinking to get the Philips Yellow ones... 

• Praise 1