2015 Forester 2.0

subarudreamer

Hi all,

I am experiencing intermittent high and low radio volume in a 1 month old FXT, which are obvious when car coming to a stop, or moving off, or sometimes in motion when accelerator released.

To have a constant radio volume for a new car should be a fair request.

Appreciate your sharing and advice. Thank you.

Anybody have such similar issue?

Is due to the poor reception from the HU. Cannot do anythING.

Listen to Internet radio and connect through Bluetooth.

That is what I am doing.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

Neutral Newbie

Is due to the poor reception from the HU. Cannot do anythING.

Listen to Internet radio and connect through Bluetooth.

That is what I am doing.

Neutral Newbie

Thanks for the sharing.

Internet radio need mobile data.

Look forward to MI for a solution to their HU reception soon.

Hi all,

I am experiencing intermittent high and low radio volume in a 1 month old FXT, which are obvious when car coming to a stop, or moving off, or sometimes in motion when accelerator released.

You know the volume is programmed to change with vehicle speed.? 

The faster you go it should auto adjust to compensate for the louder background noise. Mine gets noticeably louder around 80kmh. Not sure if this is adjustable or can be disabled..

• Praise 1

Sorry I mean IR.

But its the same for UV.

Heat comes from electromagnetic radiation... visible light, IR & UV are all part of the electromagnetic radiation spectrum... in the spectrum, these ranges of radiation are arranged according to energy levels, with IR being lowest in energy (with the longest wavelengths), visible light in between IR & UV, with UV being highest energy (shortest wavelengths) and hence most penetrating.

However, heat as we know it is more specifically in the IR range. Hence any solar film that rejects IR is the best in the business. Since the majority of the heat we feel comes from IR radiation from the sun.

UV burns us as it's is the most energetic (highest energy content) and hence it will burn our skin. UV makes us dark-skinned (burn). The skin makes melanin (a natural chemical substance), which is a pigment that darkens the skin to prevent it from burning so easily. It helps to absorb the UV energy and disperses it. That is why fair skin people tend to get sunburnt more easily and develop skin cancer more easily if exposed to the direct sunlight more often than a dark-skinned person since fair-skinned people don't develop so much melanin (which makes us dark-skinned) as dark-skinned people.

Since UV light is very penetrating and high energy, it is quite easy to reject. So most solar films come with about 98-99% UV rejection. It's not difficult to reject UV light using cheap solar films (dye-based ones). However, when UV light passes through glass, the glass absorbs a lot of its energy and the radiation then becomes less energetic and it becomes IR radiation. This is how a greenhouse works to keep temperatures inside warm even in freezing climates. The UV light and visible light pass through the glass, their energies are partially absorbed by the glass panes, and the radiation attenuates to becomes IR radiation and we feel the warmth inside the glasshouse. Which is basically the inside of our cars.

So for solar film, it is equally important that it rejects UV and IR. But IR is not so easy to reject. Hence, after much research, VKool patented a metallic sputtering process that disperses metallic elements and oxides (solid particles of a certain size matching both UV & IR wavelengths) throughout the plastic film. The UV & in particular IR rejection is superior with this types of films. Every other manufacturer has sought to emulate this technology but because VKool locked it all up under patent, no one else has been able to produce an equally effective technology. Huper Optik resorted to ceramics (which are basically only metallic oxides, without the metallic elements), and while effective, is not quite as effective in rejecting IR like VKool is. Hence VKool remains the most expensive solar film in any market cos it's the best and the most expensive to manufacture.

Finally, the cheap few hundred dollars solar film are all dye-based films. These films use organic dyes that help absorb UV or IR radiation... but their efficacy is limited since there is a limited amount of it on the film, plus the absorbed radiation may just be re-radiated into the car as the film is pasted on the inside of the car glass panels. Once the absorption limit is reached, additional IR radiation will just pass through, while excess energy absorbed will be re-radiated inwards, which results in very low energy IR radiation which will just stay inside the car and keep the temperature very toasty. But dye-based films are excellent for making darkly tint films and with various colours, whereas VKool & Huper Optik are basically transparent. They may add some dyes to tint the films to reduce glare.

One more point, the more darkly your glass is tinted, the more your eye's irises will open to let enough light in. However, if your solar films do not reject UV light effectively, lots of UV light will enter your eye and burn your retinas, leading to degeneration of your retina, and forming cataracts in the corneas, etc... which is why you should still wear mildly tinted polarised sunglasses inside the car when driving. The tinting on the sunglasses reduces general glare, but excessive tinting leads to reduced alertness (the body goes to sleep), and polarisers help to reduce specular reflections by cutting down by about 50% any light coming through the lenses. That's why polarised sunglasses are extremely expensive and very comfortable in highly glaring environments.

So choose good quality solar films, and use good quality polarised and tinted sunglasses when driving. FYI, I found out from a female colleague who likes to wear high fashion sunglasses that your $1500 Gucci sunglasses are only tinted and not polarised... apparently all the high fashion sunglasses are like that... so don't waste your money on these... if you must have branded then Ray-Bans or Oakleys... or get some sports type... I used to use Skyline over-glasses but they were too cumbersome... I now use Cocoons which are sleek (unlike Skyline) and comfortable and fit over my spectacles very well (cos they come in 5 sizes). Expensive but very good... I get them from Adventure 21 at Central shopping mall at Clarke Quay... I guess you can find them elsewhere or overseas...

Edited by teomingern
  • Praise 5

Hi all,

For the FXT, there is a function called Automatic Sound Levelizer. - The system adjusts to the optimum volume and tone quality according to vehicle speed to compensate for increasing vehicle noise"  Can be set to off. Refer to the audio manual (separate) pg 62.

For FNA, the function is called Speed Volume Control. Refer to the main manual pg 5-20.

• Praise 1

Bros.. for xt.. whats the servicing interval like?

1) Every 10k, or

2) Every 5/6k

Reason for asking is knew previous owners wrx and legacy goes for servicing every 5k.. as its turbocharged (vs 10k for na cars)

Pls share your feedback.

If someone can post what the new xt manual recommends for servicing interval.. will be great too

Cheers

• Praise 1

1) Every 10k, or

2) Every 5/6k

Reason for asking is knew previous owners wrx and legacy goes for servicing every 5k.. as its turbocharged (vs 10k for na cars)

Pls share your feedback.

If someone can post what the new xt manual recommends for servicing interval.. will be great too

Cheers

SE says every 10k as per normal cars... but then again, if u r ks, no harm servicing earlier... lol

attachicon.gifIMG_20160929_124942_副本.jpg

My 2 weeks old FNA FC

Nice! City driving heavy?

Just a question on the 2016 FNA, does it come with Siri Eye Free and the turning LED indicator on the side mirror as shown below?

http://www.ijdmtoy.com/ebay/SKU331/LED-Turn-Signal-Panel-15.jpg

Edited by Vlanze
  • Praise 1

Hi all,

Depends where you drive I suspect..HDB areas and CBD biggest culprits for interference.

Neutral Newbie

For the FXT, there is a function called Automatic Sound Levelizer. - The system adjusts to the optimum volume and tone quality according to vehicle speed to compensate for increasing vehicle noise" Can be set to off. Refer to the audio manual (separate) pg 62.

For FNA, the function is called Speed Volume Control. Refer to the main manual pg 5-20.

Hi,

Thanks for the sharing.

There is no ALS function in my HU system.

Mine only have Bass/Mid/Treble sound settings.

Will warranty be void if we install cellink B to record night time video with Blackvue? Can MI help install? Any other way to have night time video without voiding warranty and ugly wiring to 12v socket?

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Just collected FNA yesterday. Everything is ok but the HU is lousy. The bass is suck. Read somewhere can add sub woofer in MI. Anyone know the cost and Where will they install the subwoofer?

• Praise 1

Just collected FNA yesterday. Everything is ok but the HU is lousy. The bass is suck. Read somewhere can add sub woofer in MI. Anyone know the cost and Where will they install the subwoofer?

Does FNA come with Siri Eye Free and the turning LED indicator on the side mirror as shown below?

http://www.ijdmtoy.c...al-Panel-15.jpg

Turbocharged

1) Every 10k, or

2) Every 5/6k

Pls share your feedback.

Cheers

10k interval is recommended.

But if you always drive like a racer 5k oil change is preferred. But up to your own discretion, MI Don T dictate you to come back for 5k intervals...except for the first 5k.

Contrary to popular belief, It is usually not because of turbo engine but more because engine oils usually starts to break down around 7k if you run hot which will affect performance in the long run.

It happens non exclusively to turbo charge engines. Even NA performance engines sometimes have this challenge.

If you talking about mechanical servicing, be mindful AWD have extra differential fluid to replace in subsequent servicing...

Edited by Pocus
  • Praise 1