2015 Forester 2.0

subarudreamer

There is probably something i am missing here because if outside they are charging $60 - $80 per wheel alignment and MI is charging $80 for wheel alignment per service. Meaning MI is slightly costlier. Which does not matter. Because we are not paying for the wheel alignment or CVT oil change either way, it comes free with the 4 service package.

I am also deciding whether to take this up. So wouldn't mind to process this with you guys

MI is charging $80 for balancing, not wheel alignment.

↡ Advertisement

Is wheel balancing similar to tyre rotation?

Also what is the frequency for tyre rotation and alignment? Every 10km?

wheel balancing is when they take the wheel off the car, put on their balancing machine to check balance, they will add or remove the little lead wheel weights to bring the wheel back in balance.

tyre rotation is when they swap the wheels from e.g. the front left to the rear left, etc to ensure the tyres are worn out evenly. Of course that is provided your tyres are not using uni-directional thread pattern (they have other methods of rotating these tyres)

tyre rotation can be done every 10,000km

usually there are no fixed schedules for alignments, they usually done when you have problems like experiencing uneven tyre wear or when you have suspension damage from hitting the kerb or changed suspension components.

• Praise 2

wheel balancing is when they take the wheel off the car, put on their balancing machine to check balance, they will add or remove the little lead wheel weights to bring the wheel back in balance.

tyre rotation is when they swap the wheels from e.g. the front left to the rear left, etc to ensure the tyres are worn out evenly. Of course that is provided your tyres are not using uni-directional thread pattern (they have other methods of rotating these tyres)

tyre rotation can be done every 10,000km

usually there are no fixed schedules for alignments, they usually done when you have problems like experiencing uneven tyre wear or when you have suspension damage from hitting the kerb or changed suspension components.

Thanks Slowoke, no power to praise yet.

So if tyre alignment cost around $80, then i suppose type balancing is cheaper, any idea of the cost (from outside workshop)?

4 wheel alignment using computerised laser alignment machine only cost between $60 to $80 (for the whole car) from tyre/alignment shops.

$320 is a total rip off, unless it was done in front of you by 4 hot bikini-clad female mechanics using gold-plated tools 

"unless it was done in front of you by 4 hot bikini-clad female mechanics"...where to find such lobang please??? 320 seems like a great deal. 

• Praise 1

(edited)

I was studying the package previously too, and just to share, I found that based on the servicing schedule, 4 servicing would comprise:

• 2 x Package A ($292)
  • 1 x Package B ($411)
  • 1 x Package C ($488)

I think price wise would work out to be the same as ala-carte.

Unknown part is the additional CVT lubricant charge of ~$180 in the manual, which I assume is included in the package?

I am also deliberating whether to take up the package at my 20k servicing.

My key consideration is that I can only hit 10k every 10 months or so, which I think bear some risks as the package says 2 yrs or 40k.

Dont know how strict they are on the 2 year thing.

I suppose if you intend to have your car service every 6 months (0mth, 6mth, 12mth & 18mth), the maintenace package is an attractive option.

However, if you intend to service your car only every 10k and assuming you are those with pretty low meilage (12K per year). This means that over 2 years all you need is a package B (20K, $411) and a package A (30K, $292), total damage will only be $703.

Even if you were to include tyre rotataion ($80) and tyre alignment ($320), total cost will be $1103. However, it will be better to engage outside workshop for tyre alignment since they a factor of 4 cheaper.

Cost for change of transmission fluidic will not be a factor for low mileage user as they are unlikely to hit 40K during the 2 years maintenace contract.

For low meilage user, one could consider the maintance package if MI allows service at an interval of 8 months(but within the 2 years peroid), so service will be done at 20K(0mth), 28K(8mth), 36k(16mth) and 44K(24mth)? Any idea how strict M1 is on the 6 months interval?

My personal view ....

Edited by Augustine
  • Praise 2

(edited)

On top of what you mentioned, I was checking with the service persons. He mentioned that each service comes with:

wheel balance = $20 x 4 = $80

Wheel alignment = $80 x 4 = $320

That is where we find the value.

I asked MI to do the alignment before but in the end its like never done. Plus I must say their wheel rotation is double the price and wheel alignment quadrupled...one arm one leg... Edited by Andyngps

I suppose if you intend to have your car service every 6 months (0mth, 6mth, 12mth & 18mth), the maintenace package is an attractive option.

However, if you intend to service your car only every 10k and assuming you are those with pretty low meilage (12K per year). This means that over 2 years all you need is a package B (20K, $411) and a package A (30K, $292), total damage will only be $703.

Even if you were to include tyre rotataion ($80) and tyre alignment ($320), total cost will be $1103. However, it will be better to engage outside workshop for tyre alignment since they a factor of 4 cheaper.

Cost for change of transmission fluidic will not be a factor for low mileage user as they are unlikely to hit 40K during the 2 years maintenace contract.

For low meilage user, one could consider the maintance package if MI allows service at an interval of 8 months(but within the 2 years peroid), so service will be done at 20K(0mth), 28K(8mth), 36k(16mth) and 44K(24mth)? Any idea how strict M1 is on the 6 months interval?

My personal view ....

You might also want to check with MI, to be on the safe side, that if by not servicing your car every six months/10k (whichever comes first), whether your warranty will be affected.

I was studying the package previously too, and just to share, I found that based on the servicing schedule, 4 servicing would comprise:

• 2 x Package A ($292)
  • 1 x Package B ($411)
  • 1 x Package C ($488)
I think price wise would work out to be the same as ala-carte.

Unknown part is the additional CVT lubricant charge of ~$180 in the manual, which I assume is included in the package?

I am also deliberating whether to take up the package at my 20k servicing.

My key consideration is that I can only hit 10k every 10 months or so, which I think bear some risks as the package says 2 yrs or 40k.

Dont know how strict they are on the 2 year thing.

You might also want to check with MI, to be on the safe side, that if by not servicing your car every six months/10k (whichever comes first), whether your warranty will be affected.

I asked MI to do the alignment before but in the end its like never done. Plus I must say their wheel rotation is double the price and wheel alignment quadrupled...one arm one leg...

Sometime you are better off getting it done with outside workshop.

• Praise 2

Sometime you are better off getting it done with outside workshop.

Totally agreed. Within a week I realised that my ride has slight vibrations while travelling above 110km/h, my guess is wheel not balanced properly. Can't be bothered to wait till 1k servicing, I just go outside tyre shop and do wheel balancing, true enough 3 out of 4 tyres not balanced. 

I also did 1k engine oil change outside within 30mins settle. 

Does anyone has fogging problems with their rear light cover and FM radio issue? The FM radio music lacks of clarity, sometimes clear, sometimes blur. Happen on and off thru out the journey. I wasted 30mins of my time talking to the maint manager who keeps telling me that it's a norm across all subaru cars. I'm definitely not the first to complain but seems like there's nothing he can do. Anyone can advise?

During collection day of Outback, noticed digging stains (water vapour stains) told SE who said would fix on first service - little known it was testing for defect. So much for subaru reputation and MI needs to do better!!!

Does anyone has fogging problems with their rear light cover and FM radio issue? The FM radio music lacks of clarity, sometimes clear, sometimes blur. Happen on and off thru out the journey. I wasted 30mins of my time talking to the maint manager who keeps telling me that it's a norm across all subaru cars. I'm definitely not the first to complain but seems like there's nothing he can do. Anyone can advise?

During collection day of Outback, noticed fogging stains (water vapour stains) on both front headlamps, told SE who said would fix on first service - little known it was testing for defect and said nothing. Then follow calls claimed it is usual on Subaru cars (really!?!). So much for subaru reputation!
  • Praise 1

Totally agreed. Within a week I realised that my ride has slight vibrations while travelling above 110km/h, my guess is wheel not balanced properly. Can't be bothered to wait till 1k servicing, I just go outside tyre shop and do wheel balancing, true enough 3 out of 4 tyres not balanced.

I also did 1k engine oil change outside within 30mins settle.

Do you mean your steering whel judder when the car travel above 110km/h? My FNA above 120km/h, the steering vibrate.

Do you mean your steering whel judder when the car travel above 110km/h? My FNA above 120km/h, the steering vibrate.

Not very sure where the vibration comes from. After I send all 4 tyres for balancing the problem was solved. 

(edited)

During collection day of Outback, noticed digging stains (water vapour stains) told SE who said would fix on first service - little known it was testing for defect. So much for subaru reputation and MI needs to do better!!!

During collection day of Outback, noticed fogging stains (water vapour stains) on both front headlamps, told SE who said would fix on first service - little known it was testing for defect and said nothing. Then follow calls claimed it is usual on Subaru cars (really!?!). So much for subaru reputation!

I had persistent water vapour stains in my 2006 Forester headlamps too, despite many fixes during warranty. Affected headlights...which blown frequently and had to keep replacing the bulb. Switched to different brand car after scrapping it last year.

Edited by redstuff

I do encounter fogging at rear lights during rainy days. Usually will clear up after 1-2days.

(edited)

I procrastinated on the change of my FNA's EO to motul cos I have only reached 3k in mileage and did the first 1k servicing about a month+ ago, so I thot of saving some $ for massage & body maintenance. how wrong I was...

On or about 2 weeks ago, I noticed that the engine was not "purring" the way it should (pardon for the lack of a better term). It was also developing some very slight vibes which my sensitive A-hole was able to detect. Trying hard not to nitpick, I decided to let it pass. Then FC went up like from 13 to 10 over 2 refills...BUT it was the sluggish pickup that was very prominent esp when I traveled along bartley flyover. I then called my mechanic and explained the situation but he said no need to change lah. Just drive until 5k then change and even then it was not necessary.

Then last night when I traveling along KJE-BKE-PIE, the pickup was comparable to my previous mazda3. Cannot take it liao...so booked an appt with my mechanic. When I was there, my mech drove my fna and also shared the same sentiments. My mech stood by his view that EO change was uncalled for but I insisted on motul....the shock came when he drained the EO...it was BLACK and THICK. don't ask me if there's coagulation/sledge but it was thick to the naked eye. Even my mech was taken aback when he sighted it. Instead he asked me a question which I simply could not answer despite having owned about 3 cars in the past. "did u got check the dip stick after 1k servicing?" Don't ask me how such a simple task slipped my mind and WHY I didn't check. Stupid me....precautionary advice to all bros...

My mech was cautious not to draw any conclusion from the adverse findings and neither am I....to avoid being slapped with a stupid defamation lawsuit, my only query is: Is it possible for shell helix ultra to have degenerated to such an extent after 2k of mileage??? disclaimer: the highest rpm I hv clocked was 3...and I am no F1 driver.

That's not all. When the car was jacked to drain the EO, we noticed that the undercarriage coating was done unevenly. And to think I paid good money for the crap. 

My fna is finally back to its purring self...the vibes are gone (fingers crossed) or maybe my a-hole is numbed...rev sounds BETTER but it is just so damn disappointing.

Edited by Feudallordcult

pardon my ignorance, isn't engine oil supposed to be black and viscous? i thought if it become watery then it is serious problem. hmmm...

Then last night when I traveling along KJE-BKE-PIE, the pickup was comparable to my previous mazda3. Cannot take it liao...so booked an appt with my mechanic. When I was there, my mech drove my fna and also shared the same sentiments. My mech stood by his view that EO change was uncalled for but I insisted on motul....the shock came when he drained the EO...it was BLACK and THICK. don't ask me if there's coagulation/sledge but it was thick to the naked eye. Even my mech was taken aback when he sighted it. Instead he asked me a question which I simply could not answer despite having owned about 3 cars in the past. "did u got check the dip stick after 1k servicing?" Don't ask me how such a simple task slipped my mind and WHY I didn't check. Stupid me....precautionary advice to all bros...

↡ Advertisement