2015 Forester 2.0

subarudreamer

If the future electric engine outperforms what we have now and is cleaner, I will definitely go for it. I think STI version will still be there in the future, but as probably novelty cars or collectible cars because I'm sure there will always be people have a liking for petrol cars. But just like we moved on from horses to steam engines, it is about time for a new change...

Hi Richard,

haha... I guessed it is never ending... As in the relentless pursue towards perfection...

This is also the reason; I am taking this time to go through and understand stuffs to be done. Else, it is highly possible that I will make alot of silly mistakes and stupid decisions!

Thank you.

Best regards,

K. C.

sigh... Perhaps, it is going to be end of an era for Forester turbo engines for good...

I am wondering; in few years time, will there be an STi version of the Forester.

Sorry to hijack the thread. I am keen in the Subaru Forester 2.0i-L and wanted to get some opinions on how this car perform.

Can someone share their experience if you're driving one?

Cheers.

Is there another car that you are comparing against? And what are you looking for in the car that you wish to buy? Comfort, space, fc, stability?

You need to give us more info as everyone comes from different start points.

At the same time, this is a boxer engine with AWD so it has different characteristics from the other FWD cars and 4WD ones.

↡ Advertisement

If the future electric engine outperforms what we have now and is cleaner, I will definitely go for it. I think STI version will still be there in the future, but as probably novelty cars or collectible cars because I'm sure there will always be people have a liking for petrol cars. But just like we moved on from horses to steam engines, it is about time for a new change...

Is there another car that you are comparing against? And what are you looking for in the car that you wish to buy? Comfort, space, fc, stability?

At the same time, this is a boxer engine with AWD so it has different characteristics from the other FWD cars and 4WD ones.

2nd to Kurumanbo,

Need to provide more info.

Considerations for Fozzie varies vastly, personal choice would be budget, opex, safety, performance, driving dynamics.

Then the consideration for a  SUV vs what type (sedan, mpv or sports?). Or maybe u need a CUV (the vezels and Qashqai)

if SUV is your choice then compare amongst the different SUV.

Hi Zpliu,

Lol ... good stuff must wait then.

Not sure yours is fna or fxt and highly speculative as I did not have the actual experience but for fna with softer suspension set up and 17" rim with higher profile tyres, cusco arb of same 20mm diameter but solid instead of hollow may be preferred ... greater stability aka less side roll and floating sensation than wrx's arb but cushioned more with more rubber and softer suspension setup.

I am proceeding with pink springs to try further to lower the ride a bit and also to improve the stability slightly lost with wrx's arb ... did not want it too hard aka harsh with solid 20mm of cusco together with pink springs ... think pink springs should alleviate vertical floating sensation more while arb primarily alleviate side-to-side roll and especially when cornering.

This is also encouraged by bro who bought my NIB bilstein B6 and advised that his prior months of use of stock dampers with pink spring is certainly more compliant which I am after.

This suspension-compliant ride thingy to my expectation/hope is still work-in-process for me.

Cheers.

Richard

FNA for me. Gotta trial and error, 100 plus 200 is still relatively ok to trial and error, more than thst a bit tough haha

FNA for me. Gotta trial and error, 100 plus 200 is still relatively ok to trial and error, more than thst a bit tough haha

Hi Zpliu,

Awwwahh .. unfortunately my cusco rear arb had been lelonged at 120 albiet painted black to look stock but they do show up on carousell occasionally at 150.

Hope my feedback confuses you further ..lol !

Cheers.

Richard

dear all, is there a whatsapp group for forester? or facebook page?

I have just booked on 30th April 2018. Thanks.

Good day Bro and sis

My FNA  due for 40K servicing with Leng Kee very soon ( Package). As i got one front tire with abnormal wear and may looking to change all four before the servicing. Any recommendation workshop, type of tire  and est price if possible. I understand PS3 has been replace by PS 4. is it suitable for FNA weight? Many Thanks

(edited)

Good day Bro and sis

My FNA due for 40K servicing with Leng Kee very soon ( Package). As i got one front tire with abnormal wear and may looking to change all four before the servicing. Any recommendation workshop, type of tire and est price if possible. I understand PS3 has been replace by PS 4. is it suitable for FNA weight? Many Thanks

PS4 tyres are fantastic but I don’t think they come in the stock profile for FNA and FXT. PS4 tend to come in lower profiles so it’s unlikely you can fit on the FNA unless you can go off specs on the tyre profile.

You may want to consider Goodyear F1A3, Bridgestone Alenza or Michelin Primacy 3 ST or Latitude Sport. These models come in higher profiles so higher chance of fitting your car without going off-spec

Edited by Jamesgetz

Hi Zpliu,

Awwwahh .. unfortunately my cusco rear arb had been lelonged at 120 albiet painted black to look stock but they do show up on carousell occasionally at 150.

Hope my feedback confuses you further ..lol !

Cheers.

Richard

One step at a time. Im still looking at small little things, ignoring all the more advance stuff u guys are talking about lol.

Btw does anyone knows if the free solar film from MI includes the roof? I think i read somewhere that it does not?

Good day Bro and sis

My FNA due for 40K servicing with Leng Kee very soon ( Package). As i got one front tire with abnormal wear and may looking to change all four before the servicing. Any recommendation workshop, type of tire and est price if possible. I understand PS3 has been replace by PS 4. is it suitable for FNA weight? Many Thanks

My two cents, if there's abnormal wear, maybe u wanna send in for servicing and get it checked first before changing? At 40k im guessing there's still a chance you are within your warranty period. Get them to solve the underlying issue if not later the new tyres get it also. Unless of cause the wear is really bad and is compromising safety.

I believe that directions are from the top. In fact, I am wondering if the top still have dreams and beliefs that lead to a vision?

Yes. I do agree with you that many factors are involved. Yes. There is nothing much we can do. But could only raise awareness in appropriate way and manner. Afterall, we just want things to be better. Yes. There is no permanent fix to things. Infact, nothing is permanent or forever. Which is precisely due to this fact, we would have to constantly on our toes. As what we have now can be gone in awhile.

Actually, as the word Artificial Intelligence suggest; it is not that scary or dangerous. I believe that it is the people to program the computer with AI, that will be the ones that we will have to be worried about.

As what sort of focus would they have when they create AI? What would be the ethics and moral that would be used in the program?

In example; if US programmers vs China programmers were to have their own set of AI programs. I believe that it will be a vast difference.

Yes. They could based on pure logic. 0 or 1. But surely not right or wrong. Or Yes or No. As what would be the things that will define right and wrong, yes and no?

Perhaps, AI will advance to the stage of self learning. Unless, 5 senses and emotions could be incorporated into machines. Else, it will never be harming humans on its on accord.

In fact, I feel that on every other day. The world is one step closer to chaos. As we know China, the new rising power which has been dormant for long time. Many are very uncomfortable, as they bring along very different norms to the international stage. Even today, I believe that not many really understand China.

While, US is trying to maintain its position and reining in growing powers. Clashes of today is what we see. At the same time, being Singapore. There is nothing much we could do, but just to wait and see.

Infact, if you noticed; after a few incidents that SG had been through with large powers/countries. We had been relatively mild in our statements. Perhaps, that would be the best policy now. As nobody would know what happens next.

I do see this as a very good time for our government to focus internally and start working things out domestically within Sg. (For there is nothing much we can do to influence the international stage now.) Resources gathered or earned in the past, should be used to invest domestically. (In preparation for the future challenges and slight reduction in overseas investment.) If our foundation is not strong, it is also matter of time; we will lose control.

Can we really set the trend towards free trade or globalisation? I guessed, our influence is not huge enough. Neither do we have sufficient resources to push for it. Although we could pull in partners, but how many of our partnering countries are really into it as the same pace too?

Perhaps, it is time for us to slow down abit to keep in pace with current trends. So we will not be caught in crossfire, afterall all what we wanted is peace and harmony. But these might come from an expense of others too...

Programs, AI, or even weapons are always "neutral", until the people that decided to use them turn them into their advantages, and these advantages are conflicting with each other. AI, at its current state, is still very helpful and harmless. But given more adoption of AI within individual lives, things will start to change. Nobody knows exactly how do you control an AI, especially if the AI has the complexity past human brain. We can imprison someone as punishment, but how do you do that to an AI?

I do hope the future government can take a more pro-active role in the world stage. We might be small, but finding our abilities and strengthening them will put us in a better position. We can only hope the upcoming 4G leaders can sprinkle some magic powder (other than on votes)  [:p]

Subaru is launching (or re-launching) hybrids so by the time you change car, Subaru will have one for you.

Subaru presenting them at Beijing Motor Show with a name that nobody understands "Intelligent Boxer"

Don't bother to look at the Beijing Motor Show Subaru website - can't tell what is it from there

https://www.subaru-global.com/ms2018/beijing/

Better to look at this explanation - basically, a conventional hybrid design (probably adapted from Toyota which owns share of Subaru) but which follows the Subaru symmetrical design principle (straight line all the way from engine to transmission for simplicity and weight balance)

http://www.subaru.com.mt/tec_hybrid.html (you need to watch this on PC else can't see the whole image and the animation in the image also don't work unless on PC) 

Overview diagram

06f5f59881486bb72819fb37144cc1.jpg

Thanks for the links!

Odd that during high speed, the electric motor is turn off. I vaguely recall Honda and Toyota hybrids turn on both the gasoline and electric motors for maximum performance during high speed. 

• Praise 1

this is test drivetrain torque distribution, nothing related with tyre,  obviously Audi drivetrain system didn't properly brake wheels on roller to cause power lost,  

Correct me if I am wrong, all AWD systems receive feedback from the wheels ie. based on traction, in order to calculate the amount of power to distribute to each wheel. Secondly, there is a difference in material and thread patterns for tyres built for normal road use vs cross country. 

Given the above conditions, my view is a fair assessment is only when both vehicles are shodded with the same type of tyres.

• Praise 1

Thanks for the (Subaru Hybrid technology) links!

Odd that during high speed, the electric motor is turn off. I vaguely recall Honda and Toyota hybrids turn on both the gasoline and electric motors for maximum performance during high speed. 

I think what Subaru means is high speed cruising, no need both.

For Honda and Toyota, probably is high speed acceleration.

• Praise 1

Programs, AI, or even weapons are always "neutral", until the people that decided to use them turn them into their advantages, and these advantages are conflicting with each other. AI, at its current state, is still very helpful and harmless. But given more adoption of AI within individual lives, things will start to change. Nobody knows exactly how do you control an AI, especially if the AI has the complexity past human brain. We can imprison someone as punishment, but how do you do that to an AI?

I do hope the future government can take a more pro-active role in the world stage. We might be small, but finding our abilities and strengthening them will put us in a better position. We can only hope the upcoming 4G leaders can sprinkle some magic powder (other than on votes)  [:p]

Thanks for the links!

i drove a rental Toyota Prius in US for a while, the electric motor will cut off after 40mph (if i remember correctly).

• Praise 1

i drove a rental Toyota Prius in US for a while, the electric motor will cut off after 40mph (if i remember correctly).

How do you find Prius? Does the electric motor activate when you're cruising at higher speed?

Before I bought the FNA, I was looking into the hybrid cars, especially the Vezel/Freed Hybrid. These cars seems to use the electric motor during acceleration for the instant torque, and while cruising as it's more efficient compared to gasoline engine running at lower rpm. I believe it's the latter that contribute more towards the petrol saving part of hybrid cars.

I read that for most hybrids, the electric motor size are too small compared to the gasoline engines, thus their effectiveness are mitigated greatly. Not sure if we will ever see a 50:50 hybrid, and how it will affect the overall performance.

The Nissan Note e-Power is another interesting hybrid. There's a 1.2l engine, but it's work solely as a generator for the electric motor. So the Note e-Power is more of a EV than Hybrid. And this small car can hit 0-100 in 7.4s!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPSRE9e06wg

How do you find Prius? Does the electric motor activate when you're cruising at higher speed?

Before I bought the FNA, I was looking into the hybrid cars, especially the Vezel/Freed Hybrid. These cars seems to use the electric motor during acceleration for the instant torque, and while cruising as it's more efficient compared to gasoline engine running at lower rpm. I believe it's the latter that contribute more towards the petrol saving part of hybrid cars.

I read that for most hybrids, the electric motor size are too small compared to the gasoline engines, thus their effectiveness are mitigated greatly. Not sure if we will ever see a 50:50 hybrid, and how it will affect the overall performance.

The Nissan Note e-Power is another interesting hybrid. There's a 1.2l engine, but it's work solely as a generator for the electric motor. So the Note e-Power is more of a EV than Hybrid. And this small car can hit 0-100 in 7.4s!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPSRE9e06wg

I think during high speed cruising, it is using the engine. I remember that there is a EV button that I can activate but once I drive above 40/45mph, it will turn off. 

I was able to cover 700++miles per tank.

Hi Kurumanbo,

In fact, for electric motor acceleration; it is faster than petrol engine. Power delivery is almost instantaneous due to direct drive.

The following is surely one fun car to look out for;

Yes. I agree. Change is inevitable...

Thank you.

Best regards,

K. C.

dear all, is there a whatsapp group for forester? or facebook page?

I have just booked on 30th April 2018. Thanks.

Congrats!!!

When will be your collection?

Hi Kurumanbo,

In fact, for electric motor acceleration; it is faster than petrol engine. Power delivery is almost instantaneous due to direct drive.

The following is surely one fun car to look out for;

Yes. I agree. Change is inevitable...

Thank you.

Best regards,

K. C.

Congrats!!!

When will be your collection?

thanks bro. should be in june.

↡ Advertisement