2015 Forester 2.0

subarudreamer

(edited)

is there any option that improves braking without the need to upgrade stock rims?

I don't mind plonking 3k for BBK, but need another 1k+ for rims upgrade which I feel is really not necessary. I personally like the (pre-FL) FXT rims and OE look

Can try changing tyres, brake pad and maybe SSBH, stock rims cannot fit BBK...... I am checking for EBC brake pad and maybe SSBH...

Anyone using EBC brake pad other than STI brake pad? Thinking to try EBC brake pad, any lobang or workshop selling good price?

Edited by titaniclexus
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

The only dark side i have changed so far is the STI brake pads by MI. Just to share, i paid 220, excluding gst. It was 270, minus 50 with 8,000 duo points. Not too bad though not fantastic. Maybe 20 percent improvement. I am still waiting for warranty to be over before i change to a pair of brembo front 4 pots (now sitting in my store room)

• Praise 2

Can try changing tyres, brake pad and maybe SSBH, stock rims cannot fit BBK...... I am checking for EBC brake pad and maybe SSBH...

Anyone using EBC brake pad other than STI brake pad? Thinking to try EBC brake pad, any lobang or workshop selling good price?

im on ebc yellowstuff..much improvement over stock...SSBH i didnt change, cos not sure how much diff it will make.

i bought from amazon.

is there any option that improves braking without the need to upgrade stock rims?

I don't mind plonking 3k for BBK, but need another 1k+ for rims upgrade which I feel is really not necessary. I personally like the (pre-FL) FXT rims and OE look

1. Change to better tyres

2. brake pad

3. SSBH

after the above, and u still feel not good enough, then bbk + rims

• Praise 2

im on ebc yellowstuff..much improvement over stock...SSBH i didnt change, cos not sure how much diff it will make.

i bought from amazon.

2. brake pad

3. SSBH

Can I ask what is "SSBH"?

My 2 cents opinions:

If FXt engine is not tuned, a good tyres, aftermarket brake pads like EBC Yellow Stuff and SSBH good enough. I have braked with this setup on NSHW before and its good enough.

If FXt engine is tuned, add a bigger 4/2 or even Taiwanese 6/4 big brake kits with bigger rotors is better.

Mine is on EBC Blue Stuff on EBC BsD slotted rotors on STI Brembo 4/2.. I find them good enough.

Anything more is definitely good but that’s another 3-5k extra to go for 6/4 new AP or Brembo calipers.. out of my budget

• Praise 1

(edited)

My 2 cents opinions:

If FXt engine is not tuned, a good tyres, aftermarket brake pads like EBC Yellow Stuff and SSBH good enough. I have braked with this setup on NSHW before and its good enough.

If FXt engine is tuned, add a bigger 4/2 or even Taiwanese 6/4 big brake kits with bigger rotors is better.

Mine is on EBC Blue Stuff on EBC BsD slotted rotors on STI Brembo 4/2.. I find them good enough.

Anything more is definitely good but that’s another 3-5k extra to go for 6/4 new AP or Brembo calipers.. out of my budget

Hi Chucky,

But brake pads and ssbh cannot be seen leh ....

Even 4/2 looks a bit weak especially the rear 2 that looks like stock one ....

Indeed brembo gtr or sparta anodised would have been even nicer but sgd8-9k vs not even sgd17k OMV for my fxt and just could not do it ... hence Taiwanese KSport 6/4 with preferred dust caps at sgd4k especially with 356mm rotors front and rear to feel strong strong  ... lol !!

Cheers,

Richard

Edited by richard_crl032

(edited)

My 2 cents opinions:

Hi Chucky,

More seriously, indeed good tyres a must but taiwanese big 4 like RLogic (without dust cap) from Racetech is 1.2k with both front and SSBH nia which no brake pads can compare in my opinion ... it is different system altogether.

At least for my estima, I went one big round to trd sport pads with well known releigh SSBH and then slotted/drill rotors but only to get also taiwanese big 4 JBT which is way way better which the initial also cost me just as much ... you will have to put 12 pots to make your braking system to have trouble and even my 6/4 356mm rotors do not push the comfort based Michelin Primacy 3 ST enough to have ABS activated ... our master cylinder is still the same unless that is also modded which I have no experience.  Hence RLogic Big 4 for my qashqai and KSport Big6/4 for my forester when I wanted the improvement for my wife and myself respectively which is uneventful for those concern on Taiwanese BBK ..  they are just mechanical parts that Taiwanese are more than capable to design and manufacture from their know-hows acquired decades ago from industrialization.

Will be changing to a bit more aggressive tyres like Michelin Lat Sport like yours but also cannot have too noisy for 99% ride time or early wear off performance tyres like PSS4 tried once before noise intrusion after barely 20k km while it drives on wet road like sunny dry roads ...... but this is highly subjective decision from your own experience on full on performance or full on comfort vs this safety related braking performance. 

Lastly, just to explain a little more .... if I am driving an Audi or Merc with nice ride from great suspension set up and great sound insulation, I would likely go performance tyres but not on this forester,

Cheers,

Richard

Edited by richard_crl032

i bought from amazon.

2. brake pad

3. SSBH

Bro, can share the link you bought from Amazon? Front n rear?

Hi Chucky,

More seriously, indeed good tyres a must but taiwanese big 4 like RLogic (without dust cap) from Racetech is 1.2k with both front and SSBH nia which no brake pads can compare in my opinion ... it is different system altogether.

At least for my estima, I went one big round to trd sport pads with well known releigh SSBH and then slotted/drill rotors but only to get also taiwanese big 4 JBT which is way way better which the initial also cost me just as much ... you will have to put 12 pots to make your braking system to have trouble and even my 6/4 356mm rotors do not push the comfort based Michelin Primacy 3 ST enough to have ABS activated ... our master cylinder is still the same unless that is also modded which I have no experience.  Hence RLogic Big 4 for my qashqai and KSport Big6/4 for my forester when I wanted the improvement for my wife and myself respectively which is uneventful for those concern on Taiwanese BBK ..  they are just mechanical parts that Taiwanese are more than capable to design and manufacture from their know-hows acquired decades ago from industrialization.

Will be changing to a bit more aggressive tyres like Michelin Lat Sport like yours but also cannot have too noisy for 99% ride time or early wear off performance tyres like PSS4 tried once before noise intrusion after barely 20k km while it drives on wet road like sunny dry roads ...... but this is highly subjective decision from your own experience on full on performance or full on comfort vs this safety related braking performance. 

Lastly, just to explain a little more .... if I am driving an Audi or Merc with nice ride from great suspension set up and great sound insulation, I would likely go performance tyres but not on this forester,

Cheers,

Richard

Indeed, after changed to XT stock rims with Michelin Primacy 3 ST 225/55/18, I can feel really quiet than my stock FNA tyres Yokohama Geolandar 225/60/17. I tried to test and compare the speed for my FNA, my speedometer shown lighter by 5km/h compare to the App called "Waza" GPS speed.... even i feel my fuel consumption drop and better now [confused] ..... [laugh]

(edited)

Taken from STI website

For non-turbo vehicles, ST26296ST000 is compatible with the front 16-inch disc, and ST26296ST010 with the rear 15-inch disc.

https://www.sti.jp/en/parts/forester_sj/brake/ST26296SF010/

Thanks Bro, i think for FNA (SJ5) the STI front n rear available in japan parts are this two;

https://www.japanparts.com/parts/detail/35257

https://www.japanparts.com/parts/detail/35258

Price wise is ard S$510 for both include shipping but excl GST..... if include GST think will be ard S$550, seem very good deal, but not sure how much installation charges by workshop only?..... hmm....

Btw, MI quoted me the STI brake pad before;

The price quoted below is exclusive of labour price and subjected to 7% GST.

1)ST26296ST000/STI front brake pad-$420.00 (stock is available)

2)ST26296ST010/STI rear brake pad-$350.00 (stock is available)

:omg:

Edited by titaniclexus
  • Praise 1

No question is noob so no worries :)

Only the front. MI dont have the STI brake pad for rear for this promotion.

Thanks  bro  [thumbsup]

Thanks Bro, i think for FNA (SJ5) the STI front n rear available in japan parts are this two;

Price wise is ard S$510 for both include shipping but excl GST..... if include GST think will be ard S$550, seem very good deal, but not sure how much installation charges by workshop only?..... hmm....

Split the purchase to avoid gst lol. Still cheaper even though the shipping more expensive.

Yeah i know about the japanparts items. In fact initially they did not put in for SJ5. I emailed them to ask lol. For brakes I'm thinking of either changing to these or aftermarket rotors plus pads. As much as I like BBK I can't get over the price lol

(edited)

Hi Titanic,

Add on the F/R SSBH at say sgd250-350 with installation, I would strongly recommend bros to betta just go get ProLogic big 4 at sgd1.2k nett with F/R SSBH but one issue though, stock FNA 17" rim not likely possible while not sure if stock FXT 18" rim is ok but worth a try ... my qashqai stock 17" rim clears Prologic big 4 without any spacer ...  lol !

Cheers,

Richard

Split the purchase to avoid gst lol. Still cheaper even though the shipping more expensive.

Yeah i know about the japanparts items. In fact initially they did not put in for SJ5. I emailed them to ask lol. For brakes I'm thinking of either changing to these or aftermarket rotors plus pads. As much as I like BBK I can't get over the price lol

Hi Zpliu,

Rotors somemore than more you should just get ProLogic Big4 at sgd1.2k which is probably same if not cheaper ...will be obviously betta than sport pads+ssbh+rotors like my estima  ... cannot beat mechanics and engrg.

Forget also online rotors like what I did as it cost me a bomb ... for my qashqai with ProLogic, I had no choice but to pay sgd250 for shipping of sgd200 slotted and drilled rear rotors.

Cheers,

Richard

post-149594-0-64429000-1528956552_thumb.png

post-149594-0-24083400-1528956572_thumb.png

Edited by richard_crl032

Indeed, after changed to XT stock rims with Michelin Primacy 3 ST 225/55/18, I can feel really quiet than my stock FNA tyres Yokohama Geolandar 225/60/17. I tried to test and compare the speed for my FNA, my speedometer shown lighter by 5km/h compare to the App called "Waza" GPS speed.... even i feel my fuel consumption drop and better now [confused] ..... [laugh]

Hi Titanic,

Good to know and congras !!

Cheers,

Richard

yes the stock 18" rims are a headache if u want to install bbk.

brembo gold can clear some 17" rims, but you need to run spacers to clear stock 18". Wheels will protrude beyond fenders

bmrebo.jpg

Anyone knows if the red subaru calipers fit stock rims? They seem smaller but not exactly to my taste  [:p]

↡ Advertisement