2015 Forester 2.0

subarudreamer

Hi Zpliu,

Strictly speaking, any mod out of factory spec that is undeclared can land us into trouble as per any insurance policy that we signed. If against LTA requirement, it will be even more so .. like speeding and the sad story of chinese national driving the lambo or ferrari killed at bras besar but wife needing to pay off probably 1kk unpaid loan cos NOK and high profile case.

However, usual accidents do not get entangled into detailed investigation like death, fire etc. cases and my personal experience is that usual surveyor do not get into such details or hangup on typical mods of obvious rims, tyres etc. especially if not against lta or laws with insurer to void claim .. I had bbk, strut bar, rims etc. on my estima and 17k repair cost was claimed without trouble. But I reckon that I will have major trouble also with the law and not only non claim if my starlet with 1.5l engine against stock 1.0l was in the same situation .. hence those big time modders had their ws contact on standby to tow their modded cars back to their own workshops in case of accidents.

Solar film for new subaru cars with eyesight to me is a bit different ... it would be more obvious why it din work if surveyors are more aware now on such system in newer cars. Moreover, it is not my mod but the risk is thrust onto me by seller which do not make sense when seller MI who make $ from me dun take such risk instead to have buyer to do so or live without solar film on windscreen which I do not think I want to .. make sense ??

Cheers.

Richard

PS: your rear arb safe lah .. surveyor or even investigator not likely to measure and note the difference of 20mm vs 18mm ..lol ! But yes, if they want to get you, they will also report that you were with your girl friend in your car to get you into trouble with your family but hope you are not VIP for them to do so .. keke !

Haha no la. I don't mean the ARB alone. Just wondering what are the risks that undeclared mods would do to our policies.
↡ Advertisement

Haha no la. I don't mean the ARB alone. Just wondering what are the risks that undeclared mods would do to our policies.

Hi Zpliu,

Thinks nobody knows for sure and depends on mentioned detailed investigation or not ... and you hope you wun have to find out .. lol !

But fact is that best not to mod and if you do, there will always be risk since we cannot determine type of accidents that can occur.

Btw, tried directasia and aviva links and only DVR and ICE to declare while latter dun have but the quote is not competitive .. almost same or even higher than AIG for my case.

No way to declare upgraded ARB online .. keke !

Cheers.

Richard

RSR Springs & Cusco Touring A Dampers

Hi bros,

Tested colleague's fxt with the above.

Had done so before his Cusco dampers with just RSR spring and found it too hard for my liking compared to my ride with pink springs alone... it looks cool though with slightly more lowering of the forester especially with his black fxt.

With Cusco dampers adjusted down from 20 clicks of so called factory setting to softer 15 clicks, it is no longer hard but very planted and stable .. more so than my ride with pinkies. Noted that this is with PZero 245/50/18 tyres and Rota rims ads well as the usual arbs/struts.

Only negative aspect is that it is a little more abrupt when there is more obvious movement but certainly still not harsh, hard or uncomfortable compared to my pink springs alone. Colleague intend to go to harder 17-18 clicks to see if this slight abrupt movement when there are road irregularities are present will be further alleviated.

In summary,

- cusco touring adjustable dampers is better fit than stock dampers that are rather soft and cannot handle stronger springs e.g. rsr, pinkies etc. and help with adjustable settings .. perhaps more so than Bilstein b6 dampers with pinkies which I also had tried which is harder/harsher

- further ride comfort from just pinkies can be improved by ditching stock dampers with Cusco Touring A ones .. hurray !!

Please note that I had also tried Cusco Touring A with stock springs which is not for me cos still bouncy ... stock springs are just too soft and does not match such harder Cusco Touring A, Bilstein B6 etc. dampers.

For me, it will have to be with cool incabin Cusco Econ2 controller with further 4 presets for different load and ride (mood) conditions ... lol !

Btw, still hold the opinion against coilovers regardless installers' advice on softest setting .. it will be harder and never for compliant ride but for best roadholding and control instead .. chiongster or sepang level with peddlars, Cusco Zero etc. tried.

Cheers.

Richard

maybe your colleague can try harder on front and softer on rear. usually works for sedans but not sure for SUV

• Praise 1

Hi astc,

No void of warranty by MI but I have my concern that if MI dun do it and I do it with insurance companies finding out during accident claim, will it be dishonoured cos you had modify against mfgr specification who already warned against it ? I asked myself why MI dun do it and I have to do it when they have plenty of legal experts and I dun .. lol !

In a nutshell, forester is vfm at its low pricing from low omv, spacious and safe awd car that only hi end car has this feature as well as adequately reliable.

Cheers.

Richard

Thanks Richard!

Could you also share how will suziki vitara fare against forester?

Thanks Richard!

new forester will be launched in Singapore 2019 1Q, there is still a long waiting,

my car COE end at Dec-2018, hopefully by then new forester price unveil, depends on its price to decide renew COE or buy new forester 

Edited by MQX87511

new forester will be launched in Singapore 2019 1Q, there is still a long waiting,

my car COE end at Dec-2018, hopefully by then new forester price unveil, depends on its price to decide renew COE or buy new forester

Hi MXQ,

If new forester then live without solar film or install yourself ? Lol !

Cheers.

Richard

Thanks Richard!

Hi astc,

Just in case, please read here:

http://www.mycarforum.com/topic/2702496-new-suzuki-vitara-2016/page-18

Not sure this high rev gearing issue but seems even new suzuki vitara is faced with same poor sound insulation aka hollow aka tin car syndrome.

Do go test drive and share with us here since I am only speculating.

Cheers.

Richard

Hi astc,

Not sure this high rev gearing issue but seems even new suzuki vitara is faced with same poor sound insulation aka hollow aka tin car syndrome.

Cheers.

Richard

Thanks a lot Richard!

Will go for a test drive for sure. But as this is my first time getting a car, not too sure whatever I share will be of any use to all. Regardless, thanks to all the replies!

Hi astc,

Cheers.

Richard

Sorry for asking for another comparison Richard, how does the Mitsibushi Eclipse Cross fare against Forester?

Thanks!

Sorry for asking for another comparison Richard, how does the Mitsibushi Eclipse Cross fare against Forester?

Thanks!

Hi astc80,

No problem but yes, I tested the eclipse cross despite not liking the exterior as it is 1.5l turbo which gives nice pickup and low road tax that is somehow betta than 2.0 without turbo.

I was also on lelong for the cheapest basic model at 103k I think but note it is very basic with even without led headlights and equivalent trim like forester fna is 118k back then .. I will rather take cx5 as same pricr.

However,

- drumming gearbox noise .. forester dun have

- interior quite plasticky especially worse local leather ever seen .. forester still betta

- sound insulation is typical of 1.6l segment .. forester feels more solid in everyway especially the awd ride.

Pros are:

- 10 yrs engine warranty if setviced with them .. forester 5 yrs for engine and gearbox while others 3 yrs or 1 yr

- cool sliding and reclining seats .. forester dun have

- betta FC

No, even at 95k instead of 103k, I will take the forester now at 93k.

Cheers.

Richard

Edited by richard_crl032

Thanks, zpliu. I will monitor the temperature :)

Back from my short road trip, just to share some of my observations. I didn't check the coolant level before set off, I believe is still touching the Low line. Travelled around 200km on the highway, no jam, average speed 120 in S mode, highest speed 140+ for a few seconds only.

Trmperature hit 100 degree at the end of the trip, it fall to 99 or 98 when I slow down to 100 or so. If I change to I mode temperature will drop 1 degree also.

Temperature dropped rather quickly when slowdown to 80, 90 km/hr, if I remember correct, it was 96/97 degree after I exit highway and cruise with that speed.

Everything seems fine.

Back from my short road trip, just to share some of my observations. I didn't check the coolant level before set off, I believe is still touching the Low line. Travelled around 200km on the highway, no jam, average speed 120 in S mode, highest speed 140+ for a few seconds only.

Trmperature hit 100 degree at the end of the trip, it fall to 99 or 98 when I slow down to 100 or so. If I change to I mode temperature will drop 1 degree also.

Temperature dropped rather quickly when slowdown to 80, 90 km/hr, if I remember correct, it was 96/97 degree after I exit highway and cruise with that speed.

Everything seems fine.

Great! When is ur next servicing? Just make sure u ask them to check it

Everything seems fine.

Is it bad to hit 100 celcius? I've been doing a few trips to KL and back. Have hit 100/101 celcius when driving over 120 in S mode. But nothing over 102 celcius.

Currently on Shell Helix EO.

Is it bad to hit 100 celcius? I've been doing a few trips to KL and back. Have hit 100/101 celcius when driving over 120 in S mode. But nothing over 102 celcius.

Currently on Shell Helix EO.

Still within operating range. U can do a search in the forum. The range is mentioned before
  • Praise 2

Suppose to service this month, will ask them to check.

Suppose to service this month, will ask them to check.

Subaru Forester, despite it's low OMV of $12K, is a no brainer decision.

Made in Japan 2000cc SUV with AWD @ a steal of $91K. Forester was selling at $140K+  at its peak.

Back in the peak COE times in 1999,  this money  can get you only a Proton Wira.

Edited by Vinceng
  • Praise 2