2015 Forester 2.0

subarudreamer

Hi ecube,

Do it ... else you have to live with the yokohama tyres for next 2 yrs and keep wondering as well as not enjoy as quiet ride from tyre noise as possible with also famed michelin grippiness that yokohama cannot compare unless going to noisy sports variants.

Do it later and you will waste a lot more $ like me and many many bros who eventually upgraded .. this is the only time that shops will accept max trade in values.

Cheers.

Richard

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the feedback. Will check with Kim Hoe if they have stock and how much to trade-in.

When I collected my car from TPY, I drive straight to my regular tyre shop less than 500m from MI.

Hi Tohto,

I am going to collect at TPY too. Mind to share which tyre shop you went and how much topup?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the feedback. Will check with Kim Hoe if they have stock and how much to trade-in.

Hi Tohto,

I am going to collect at TPY too. Mind to share which tyre shop you went and how much topup?

Eng wah tyre at those TPY lorong 8 workshop. I had using this tyre shop for many year.

For 235/50/18 for FXT, I top up $600.

Richard

Your journey so far is probably one of the most extensive amongst us and there is no stopping u it seem. Haha

Tohto

Fxt omv. I am speechless. My fxt registered in dec 17 also 16k+. Zzzzz. Maybe your engine not detuned, unlike mine ? Haha.

Hi, I am going to collect FNA in 2 weeks. Just would like to check how much better Mechelin primacy 3st vs the stock Yokohama geolandar. From the online price, these 2 not much difference.

I guess likely have to top up $400~500 if straight away trade-in after collection, thus checking worth or not.

You going to change 17” tyres only for Primacy 3ST to replace stock tyres? Not changing rims? If lidat no point leh, FNA stock tyres not bad, but only abit noisy....

You going to change 17â tyres only for Primacy 3ST to replace stock tyres? Not changing rims? If lidat no point leh, FNA stock tyres not bad, but only abit noisy....

Considered upgrade to 18 FXT rim. But guess it's just more for the look. Got to sacrifice a bit on FC and comfort. Quieter tyre is more important to me. I learnt the stock tyre is not bad and lasting but just a bit noisy but no way to compare for me. Only bros in this forum can tell from their experiences but most are on FXT. Any FNA brother can share?

Considered upgrade to 18 FXT rim. But guess it's just more for the look. Got to sacrifice a bit on FC and comfort. Quieter tyre is more important to me. I learnt the stock tyre is not bad and lasting but just a bit noisy but no way to compare for me. Only bros in this forum can tell from their experiences but most are on FXT. Any FNA brother can share?

Hi ecube,

Not only looks actually .. especially if you need to convince your CO .. lol !

Upgrade to 18 can have choice of profile 55 and 50 and yes, 55 would be more comfortable but both still fine .. what you can is betta road holding with less rubber and wider contact .. imagine walking on stilts albeit exaggerated.

Hope dun mind but if for looks, the 17" rims has to go more so than have 18" tyres.

Cheers.

Richard

Edited by richard_crl032

Hi ecube,

Not only looks actually .. especially if you need to convince your CO .. lol !

Upgrade to 18 can have choice of profile 55 and 50 and yes, 55 would be more comfortable but both still fine .. what you can is betta road holding with less rubber and wider contact .. imagine walking on stilts albeit exaggerated.

Hope dun mind but if for looks, the 17" rims has to go more so than have 18" tyres.

Cheers.

Richard

Hi Richard,

Yes, 18" indeed more choice for tyres and price wise similar to 17". But I just try to keep stock as much as possible to avoid go down to the road like you are doing. Otherwise got to consider better 18" rim, bigger brake, etc, etc.  :a-confused:

Changing tyre is not consider any mod, right?  [laugh]

Hi Richard,

Yes, 18" indeed more choice for tyres and price wise similar to 17". But I just try to keep stock as much as possible to avoid go down to the road like you are doing. Otherwise got to consider better 18" rim, bigger brake, etc, etc. :a-confused:

Changing tyre is not consider any mod, right? [laugh]

Hi Arrow,

Changing tyres is not a mod ..lol !

Why not go down the road .. 100k spent and might as well enjoy the journey ... keke !

Be on the lookout and you may also get lucky like me to pay sgd500 for prodrive 18" gc-14i and also learnt to share with others along the way e.g. bbks with/without dust cap, AOS/catch can etc. etc. :)

Cheers.

Richard

Edited by richard_crl032

Hi,

Have fna since last december and stock tyres are not bad. The only complain is loud squeaky sound on mscp.

Unable to compare against our tyre as still on stock :).

• Praise 1

Hi,

Have fna since last december and stock tyres are not bad. The only complain is loud squeaky sound on mscp.

You are not sensitive to tyre noise.

Hi,

Hi Augustine,

Indeed fna tyres are fine and most of the remarks and comments here are from more demanding and even anal people like me. Highly subjective and depending on past experience and current expectation or wishes .. just a journey with no destination.

Nevertheless, I do find my fxt to be noiser that my estima and the quite elaborate SP from ICE that I did also made tyres noise more obvious .. it is all relative and as you fixed one source of noise, other noise sources stand out vs balanced situation by car mfgrs with targeted cost.

Though fixed all I can on tyres noise with reportedly most quiet Michellin primacy 3 ST tyres after Pirelli scorpion verdes and regretfully cpc6 all within 3 months, I found road noise became more obvious .. tyres and road noise transmitted from tyres to rims to suspension to chassis are quite different.

Read and did the autofoam treatment to counter such transmitted road noise to chassis which was indeed recommendable with big advantage that you cannot do typical ICE SP into main structural beams to get to near rigid hi end conti ride designed for >200 kmhr in no speed limit autobahn in germany .. added advantage is that it is light weighted at 5-8kg vs 50-80kg of STP multi layers SP materials to avoid significant impact to you FC.

With autofoam added, it then became apparent that engine noise via firewall as well as the dashboard needed to be fixed especially on driver side .. passenger side at least have the glove compartment, aircon filter parts etc. On this, I used 3M thinsulate to stuff the dashboard and areas below the dashboard after reading about measured reduction by Jap car owner .. made a world of difference in my case.

Cheers.

Richard

Hi Augustine,

Indeed fna tyres are fine and most of the remarks and comments here are from more demanding and even anal people like me. Highly subjective and depending on past experience and current expectation or wishes .. just a journey with no destination.

Nevertheless, I do find my fxt to be noiser that my estima and the quite elaborate SP from ICE that I did also made tyres noise more obvious .. it is all relative and as you fixed one source of noise, other noise sources stand out vs balanced situation by car mfgrs with targeted cost.

Though fixed all I can on tyres noise with reportedly most quiet Michellin primacy 3 ST tyres after Pirelli scorpion verdes and regretfully cpc6 all within 3 months, I found road noise became more obvious .. tyres and road noise transmitted from tyres to rims to suspension to chassis are quite different.

Read and did the autofoam treatment to counter such transmitted road noise to chassis which was indeed recommendable with big advantage that you cannot do typical ICE SP into main structural beams to get to near rigid hi end conti ride designed for >200 kmhr in no speed limit autobahn in germany .. added advantage is that it is light weighted at 5-8kg vs 50-80kg of STP multi layers SP materials to avoid significant impact to you FC.

With autofoam added, it then became apparent that engine noise via firewall as well as the dashboard needed to be fixed especially on driver side .. passenger side at least have the glove compartment, aircon filter parts etc. On this, I used 3M thinsulate to stuff the dashboard and areas below the dashboard after reading about measured reduction by Jap car owner .. made a world of difference in my case.

Cheers.

Richard

I think in order to go extreme quiet, have to get a Lexus.

A friend change from B180 to a ES250, keep mentioning the car is very very quiet.

Haha.... expected one! U try to check on carousell or maybe Subaru FB see any bro selling or not? Some bros even can get the FXT 18'' stock rims n tyres at S$500.... if you don't mind their slippery stock tyres (comments from FXT bros) lah.... [:p]

The Pre FL FXT 18'' stock rims also nice, got one bro managed to get it recently for his new FNA...... try your luck! :a-happy:

The Pre FL FXT and FL FXT which one is lighter?

Thanks

Long

• Praise 1

I think in order to go extreme quiet, have to get a Lexus.

A friend change from B180 to a ES250, keep mentioning the car is very very quiet.

Hi Tohto,

B180 is a entry merc ... not sure now but during my merc days, S class had double glazed glass that you would use very effectively if you stays need expressway and the cabin is so air tight to prevent transmitted noise that there is vacuum pump that sucks out air in the cabin else you cannot close the heavy doors until they incorporated suction doors.

The chassis of S class designed for speed limitless autobahn in germany is of course unquestionable .. had the opportunity of taking one in Taiwan during good old days while working for motorola Singapore.

Indeed ES250 would be great but different league compared to our humble foresters and more cost effective and fun if you have the time like me ..lol !

Cheers.

Richard

The Pre FL FXT and FL FXT which one is lighter?

Thanks

Long

Hi Long,

Believe insignicant and of no important even wrt to FC unless I missed your concern.

FL would theoretically be heavier without checking on old specification via google since with added cvt cooler, reportedly better aka more sound insulation.

Please let us know if you find out or advise any concern.

Cheers.

Richard

Edited by richard_crl032

Hi Arrow,

Changing tyres is not a mod ..lol !

Why not go down the road .. 100k spent and might as well enjoy the journey ... keke !

Be on the lookout and you may also get lucky like me to pay sgd500 for prodrive 18" gc-14i and also learnt to share with others along the way e.g. bbks with/without dust cap, AOS/catch can etc. etc. :)

Cheers.

Richard

Hi Richard,

Haha, exactly as you explained how you gradually fixed noise. It's a journey with no end. Lol.

Guess you had quite a sense of achievement to mod a MIJ VVFM FXT to a autobahn grade conti.

• Praise 1

Hi Richardï¼

Haha, exactly as you explained how you gradually fixed noise. It's a journey with no end. Lol.

Guess you had quite a sense of achievement to mod a MIJ VVFM FXT to a autobahn grade conti.ð

I guess I better stay with the stock tyre in order to feel the difference after changing in two years.ð

Hi ecube,

Cool .. and do be clear if you have no wish to change rims later else betta to do so now with both rims/tyres having trade in $.

Stay with stock 17" and of course best vfm option since "improvements" have their price to pay and often also with opportunity costs.

Oh no, my ride is far from autobahn grade conti and hence still trying to get there but my forester fxt even having exhausted the 25k difference from planned turbo harrier is indeed vfm and unique as well as a good learning process to me vs glc250 at sgd220k which my colleague paid.

Cheers.

Richard

Edited by richard_crl032

Paid down payment for the FNA earlier this week! [bounce2] Hopefully can secure a COE at next bidding, then collection before the end of oct [bounce1]

Anyway wanna ask, what do you all think of the Hella brand dashcam supplied by MIE? Can’t find any reviews on it online. Wondering if I should install the dashcam or not [confused]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1