2015 Forester 2.0

subarudreamer

Take note the price seems to increased.

https://ibb.co/ck0fBXN

But still cheaper than carousell or MI.

But strange this version only plug n play while carousell seller mentioned need to hard wire....

I see some just put one OBD device in the photo but when check with the seller they mention need to unplug one cable near the OBD area and  connect with the one they provided in between. 

Any bro did touch up job with outside workshop before? I got my 1 month old FNA kissed with scratches and small dents  [bigcry] , not intending to go MI as sure will be very expensive, so thinking to approach outside workshop to repair and respray. Is MI very particular in this and void my warranty? [:(]

↡ Advertisement

Anyone had review on rsr spring on stock shock? How is it comparing to pink spring or stock spring

I was using RSR springs on stock shocks. Now using RSR springs with Cusco Touring A.

Compared to stock springs, the RSR springs are a bit stiffer but not uncomfortable. I’ve tried sitting in a FXT with STI pink springs with stock shocks and I couldn’t tell the difference in terms of comfort/performance.

I chose RSR springs becos I wanted to lower the car by about 1+ inch. STi springs lower by about 15mm. So it depends on what you are looking for.

For reference, someone in the below forum compared the spring rates between stock springs and RSR springs. As below, the RSR spring rates only slightly higher. I would imagine the STi spring rates are very similar too

https://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/7168065-post14.html

OEM Forester SJ spring rates

Front: 233.7 lbs/in (4.17kg/mm)

Rear: 230.9 lbs/in (4.12kg/mm)

RS-R F901W

Front: 240.23 lbs/in (4.29kg/mm)

Rear: 251.43 lbs/in (4.49kg/mm)

• Praise 3

I almost wanted to buy the 2016 version from taobao, luckily I saw your post otherwise waste money also...

I have place the order over the weekend. 

Maybe you like to wait till my order came in and confirmed that it can work before proceeding.

https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?spm=a220m.1000858.1000725.1.5a1278a3A2lY28&id=564343115892&skuId=3727534918116&areaId=441900&user_id=1903637637&cat_id=2&is_b=1&rn=752e4882b7aab7c7eadc39a3636dfe07

Hi Guys,

Just like to share after talking to about 15 sellers, finally there is one which is able to manufacture those 4D car mat for right handed Forester.

Relatively cheap as well for less than $50 with shipping.

If you are ordering, ask the seller for extra plastic clips.

https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?_u=3201duvmlub77b&id=565048648707&skuId=3743832175515

post-245415-0-85790800-1546504901_thumb.jpg

post-245415-0-60136400-1546504907_thumb.jpg

Edited by MoXiao

I have place the order over the weekend. 

Maybe you like to wait till my order came in and confirmed that it can work before proceeding.

https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?spm=a220m.1000858.1000725.1.5a1278a3A2lY28&id=564343115892&skuId=3727534918116&areaId=441900&user_id=1903637637&cat_id=2&is_b=1&rn=752e4882b7aab7c7eadc39a3636dfe07

Hi Guys,

Just like to share after talking to about 15 sellers, finally there is one which is able to manufacture those 4D car mat for right handed Forester.

Relatively cheap as well for less than $50 with shipping.

If you are ordering, ask the seller for extra plastic clips.

https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?_u=3201duvmlub77b&id=565048648707&skuId=3743832175515

you bought the 2018 version right? Still need to connect one cable right?

you bought the 2018 version right? Still need to connect one cable right?

not yet delivered, Cannot advised.

Manufacturer send me installation link though. Looks damm complex.

Hope it is not as so.

斯巴鲁森林人OBD落锁器: http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMjcwMzgzNTE3Mg==.html?spm=a2hzp.8244740.userfeed.5!18~5~5~5!3~5~A

Edited by MoXiao

After u off the engine, u turn the steering?

This will cause it to lock the steering.

Hi , yes it might be the reason like any other auto gear car that I experienced before. Thanks

Hi Elan,

Oct 2017 fxt owner here but had not experience neither 1. and 2.

On issue 2., I can imagine if slope was wet and the tyres had slipped before getting grip with stock Dueler tyres that can show up as described.

Cheers,

Richard

Hi Richard. It was not rain. I think the slope is pretty high such as more than 45" at Robertson hotel. I realised this xt reverse gear also had this type of behaviour. It is slow and less torque. When depressed the accelerator harder, it just surged like the turbo suddenly turned on.

Thank you anyway

Hi Elan,

Oct 2017 fxt owner here but had not experience neither 1. and 2.

On issue 2., I can imagine if slope was wet and the tyres had slipped before getting grip with stock Dueler tyres that can show up as described.

Cheers,

Richard

Hi Richard. It was not rain. I think the slope is pretty high such as more than 45" at Robertson hotel. I realised this xt reverse gear also had this type of behaviour. It is slow and less torque. When depressed the accelerator harder, it just surged like the turbo suddenly turned on.

Thank you anyway

• Praise 1

I was using RSR springs on stock shocks. Now using RSR springs with Cusco Touring A.

Compared to stock springs, the RSR springs are a bit stiffer but not uncomfortable. Iâve tried sitting in a FXT with STI pink springs with stock shocks and I couldnât tell the difference in terms of comfort/performance.

I chose RSR springs becos I wanted to lower the car by about 1+ inch. STi springs lower by about 15mm. So it depends on what you are looking for.

For reference, someone in the below forum compared the spring rates between stock springs and RSR springs. As below, the RSR spring rates only slightly higher. I would imagine the STi spring rates are very similar too

RS-R F901W

Hi James,

Obvious difference to my sensitive butts .. lol !

Kaki with rsr also commented so when test drove my ride with pink but it has its advantage .. on hwy, rsr is solid while pink still wobbles a bit and hence my trial with adjustable cusco A but I really dun like how stiff it is over often ecountered humps.

Cheers.

Richard

Compared to stock springs, the RSR springs are a bit stiffer but not uncomfortable. Iâve tried sitting in a FXT with STI pink springs with stock shocks and I couldnât tell the difference in terms of comfort/performance.

RS-R F901W

Interesting. The rear is higher than the front. Technically this will reduce understeer but i anticipate the rear will be more bouncy if use back the stock shocks.

Did you install camber kit also since you lower more than 1 inch?

RS-R F901W

Thanks bro I m also in favor of getting the rsr due to the more significant drop. If the spring rate is same as the stock isn’t it as bouncy as stock? My main purpose is to get rid of the bouncy feel.

By the way how’s the Cusco touring damper? Make any day and night difference in the ride quality?

Interesting. The rear is higher than the front. Technically this will reduce understeer but i anticipate the rear will be more bouncy if use back the stock shocks.

Did you install camber kit also since you lower more than 1 inch?

No, I didn't install rear camber kit.  Front camber is about -1deg and rear camber is about -1.5deg which has worked well for the past 2 yrs.  Driving dynamics are great and the tires wear is even.  

Thanks bro I m also in favor of getting the rsr due to the more significant drop. If the spring rate is same as the stock isn’t it as bouncy as stock? My main purpose is to get rid of the bouncy feel.

By the way how’s the Cusco touring damper? Make any day and night difference in the ride quality?

Actually, the bounciness will worsen with stiffer springs as you will feel more of the road bumps and imperfections.  For stiffer springs, shock absorbers with higher damping rate will be required to match the higher stiffness.  If the STi springs are designed to work with original shocks, I doubt the STi springs are much stiffer.  Also, the STi springs are advertised to retain stock ride comfort so the stiffness can't be much higher than stock

Just to highlight, the Cusco dampers need some mileage to run in.  Initially, it was set to 10 clicks from softest as advised by BKS.  It felt really comfy as it soak up small road bump/imperfections really well but I found the car a bit unsettling driving fast around corners and a bit floaty at (illegally) high speeds.  Over time, I've increased to 15, 20 and now 25 clicks front and back.  At 25 clicks, I find ride comfort quite similar to stock but the driving dynamics much improved at high speeds and round corners.  The car settles faster over bumps and imperfections without feeling jarring.  In all honesty, I would say the Cusco dampers make a slight improvement rather than day and night difference.  

How do you define ride quality?  Comfortable but yet good driving dynamics/stability?   These 2 aspects usually go in opposite directions unless you have a sophisticated system with active damping.  There's only so much you can enhance the driving dynamics and/or comfort with just shock absorbers.   For those who are looking for better comfort, the Cusco will work if you set it to low settings, say 10 clicks.  But high speed stability and round corners won't be as good based on my experience.  For those who want better driving dynamics, turn up to beyond 20 clicks but you will sacrifice some comfort (which is highly subjective...)

Hope this helps those who are considering the Cusco touring A shocks as there is so limited info in online.

PS.

1 last thing: don't be shocked if you find the damper has more than 40 clicks as advertised on the Cusco website.  Apparently, the 40 clicks max setting is not accurate but I advise you don't go beyond 40 clicks from softest...  

Edited by Jamesgetz

Actually, the bounciness will worsen with stiffer springs as you will feel more of the road bumps and imperfections. For stiffer springs, shock absorbers with higher damping rate will be required to match the higher stiffness. If the STi springs are designed to work with original shocks, I doubt the STi springs are much stiffer. Also, the STi springs are advertised to retain stock ride comfort so the stiffness can't be much higher than stock

Just to highlight, the Cusco dampers need some mileage to run in. Initially, it was set to 10 clicks from softest as advised by BKS. It felt really comfy as it soak up small road bump/imperfections really well but I found the car a bit unsettling driving fast around corners and a bit floaty at (illegally) high speeds. Over time, I've increased to 15, 20 and now 25 clicks front and back. At 25 clicks, I find ride comfort quite similar to stock but the driving dynamics much improved at high speeds and round corners. The car settles faster over bumps and imperfections without feeling jarring. In all honesty, I would say the Cusco dampers make a slight improvement rather than day and night difference.

How do you define ride quality? Comfortable but yet good driving dynamics/stability? These 2 aspects usually go in opposite directions unless you have a sophisticated system with active damping. There's only so much you can enhance the driving dynamics and/or comfort with just shock absorbers. For those who are looking for better comfort, the Cusco will work if you set it to low settings, say 10 clicks. But high speed stability and round corners won't be as good based on my experience. For those who want better driving dynamics, turn up to beyond 20 clicks but you will sacrifice some comfort (which is highly subjective...)

Hope this helps those who are considering the Cusco touring A shocks as there is so limited info in online.

PS.

1 last thing: don't be shocked if you find the damper has more than 40 clicks as advertised on the Cusco website. Apparently, the 40 clicks max setting is not accurate but I advise you don't go beyond 40 clicks from softest...

Thanks James for ur detailed info! Anyway it’s the slow speed bounce and unsettleness (lesser than 50kmh) that annoyed me abit, It makes the car feels cheap haha

If I have no plan to bring the car to track or negotiate bend at 150kmh, I aimed for better daily comfort.

Anyway I had found a taobao shop that does customized damper for our ride, But need to provide requirement to them, which is hard to say it out even in person.... any bros adventurous enough? Haha

Thanks James for ur detailed info! Anyway itâs the slow speed bounce and unsettleness (lesser than 50kmh) that annoyed me abit, It makes the car feels cheap haha

If I have no plan to bring the car to track or negotiate bend at 150kmh, I aimed for better daily comfort.

Anyway I had found a taobao shop that does customized damper for our ride, But need to provide requirement to them, which is hard to say it out even in person.... any bros adventurous enough? Haha

For suspension parts , suggest you go with established brands as it’s a critical component. Safety first... no joke if the parts give way while traveling at high speed or going round a corner

Hi Mo,

Yes .. my Oct 2017 fxt is already last version "E" of the SJ series before current SK series.

Cheers.

Richard

Hi Richard....

Omg... how do you even start to install this many wires for the autolock??

Thanks for the advice

MX

post-245415-0-86390800-1546951154_thumb.jpg

Hi Richard....

Omg... how do you even start to install this many wires for the autolock??

Thanks for the advice

MX

Hi Mo,

This avoid cutting wire and can removed and you are still like Madonna .. lol !

If need help, pls go to Aestmod at 23 Geylang Lorong 11 and look for ah boon ... I have this autolock, pivot, bluetooth, kick sensor, bsm etc. with daisy chain of 2 pcs of 3 way splitter for 10 mths and no issue.

Cheers.

Richard

Thanks James for ur detailed info! Anyway itâs the slow speed bounce and unsettleness (lesser than 50kmh) that annoyed me abit, It makes the car feels cheap haha

Hey Rainman,

Pls do not proceed with tiong customised dampers.

PM me if you wish to try pink springs with body dampers, arbs and struts soon if it satisfies you before I install cusco touring A this 1-2 weeks .. they finally arrived.

Cheers.

Richard

• Praise 1

Actually, the bounciness will worsen with stiffer springs as you will feel more of the road bumps and imperfections. For stiffer springs, shock absorbers with higher damping rate will be required to match the higher stiffness. If the STi springs are designed to work with original shocks, I doubt the STi springs are much stiffer. Also, the STi springs are advertised to retain stock ride comfort so the stiffness can't be much higher than stock

Just to highlight, the Cusco dampers need some mileage to run in. Initially, it was set to 10 clicks from softest as advised by BKS. It felt really comfy as it soak up small road bump/imperfections really well but I found the car a bit unsettling driving fast around corners and a bit floaty at (illegally) high speeds. Over time, I've increased to 15, 20 and now 25 clicks front and back. At 25 clicks, I find ride comfort quite similar to stock but the driving dynamics much improved at high speeds and round corners. The car settles faster over bumps and imperfections without feeling jarring. In all honesty, I would say the Cusco dampers make a slight improvement rather than day and night difference.

How do you define ride quality? Comfortable but yet good driving dynamics/stability? These 2 aspects usually go in opposite directions unless you have a sophisticated system with active damping. There's only so much you can enhance the driving dynamics and/or comfort with just shock absorbers. For those who are looking for better comfort, the Cusco will work if you set it to low settings, say 10 clicks. But high speed stability and round corners won't be as good based on my experience. For those who want better driving dynamics, turn up to beyond 20 clicks but you will sacrifice some comfort (which is highly subjective...)

PS.

1 last thing: don't be shocked if you find the damper has more than 40 clicks as advertised on the Cusco website. Apparently, the 40 clicks max setting is not accurate but I advise you don't go beyond 40 clicks from softest...

Hu James,

Good share !

Indeed cusco touring A is more like 48 clicks and not advertised 40 clicks .. not sure why.

Obvious improvement with pink springs for me and certainly not more bouncy but I believe while they are designed around stock dampers, the stock dampers are a bit too soft and not matched as well as it can be ..hence I proceeded with the adjustable cusco touring A and will find out in 1-2 weeks.

Cheers.

Richard

Edited by richard_crl032

I see some just put one OBD device in the photo but when check with the seller they mention need to unplug one cable near the OBD area and connect with the one they provided in between.

Any bro did touch up job with outside workshop before? I got my 1 month old FNA kissed with scratches and small dents [bigcry] , not intending to go MI as sure will be very expensive, so thinking to approach outside workshop to repair and respray. Is MI very particular in this and void my warranty? [:(]

Hi everbb,

Spray paint wun void warranty and hope you dun accept such argumentation even if MI guys tell you so .. speak to their supervisor or manager or ask for glenn.

Cheers.

Richard

Edited by richard_crl032
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1