2015 Forester 2.0

subarudreamer

I am using pioneer z9150bt for CarPlay and music with aftermarket speakers and amplifiers. So far so good. Iâm only interested in better sound and CarPlay. Video is secondary .

Imho, pioneer/Kenwood/alpine uses better sound components for music and more stable as itâs a proprietary software and hardware.

Unless you like to play around androids apps including trying to troubleshoot endlessly go for android HU.

Adv of android;

Maximize 9â display. Android HU for forester comes included faceplate/panel. Pioneer n others need buy separate faceplate for $180-$220....

Can use usb hub - multiple usb from one usb out.

Youtube, mirroring, apps.....etc

With apps u can use gps/maps directly on unit.

Can have sim 4g directly insert in unit(for some models) else need a dongle or hotspot.

Can also link tpms or other devices to android HU if comes with compatible apps.

Normally cheaper from $400 onwards with installation at $80-100. Installer who sells android HU usually pricier due to âwarrantyâ given.

Many other good points etc....

Disadv;

Sound/music seems worst than stock HU unless using dsp/amp to tune. I did once just replace android HU with stock speaker and to pioneer HU . I hear the difference like heaven and earth.

I heard fm antenna reception not as good from a user.

Some models have built in CarPlay some need a CarPlay dongle from taobao about $60.

Constantly need to troubleshoot/upgrade in my opinion.

Some quality not reliable.

No CD player.

Unless android HU market with good sound chips or component I would avoid because of inconsistent quality.

Hi Fumio,

Nice writeup and share.

However, it is android headunit for me all the way but indeed via digital output to dsp to bypass unknown dac used of varying quality. Note there are already android headunit with optical output while branded headunit with AA or carplay took a step back to be without one ... or you have usb to optical converter for digital output since it is possible from android 7 onwards.

Advantage to me are:

- full access to playstore apps e.g. tunein, meeradio etc. and not crippled apps available only from these branded headunit like alpine, pioneer etc.

I can also play hi res dsd files via usb audio pro or onkyo hf players while most brand headunits cannot even play lossless flac files.

It was my quest for replacement for defunct dab by mediacorp which led to internet radio with flawless reception .. you either get full signal or none and the latter is near non existent since telcos guarantees QOS. Quite fun when passenger ask of my headunit brand to buy when I have local mediacorp fm stations playing at basement carparks .. keke.

On the constant need to troubleshoot, it is only because owners are not savy .. same as your mobile phone.

No issue with cd player .. just plug in any usb dvd/cd drive from sim lim and I get unlimited audio playback from my 2TB hdd.

With android HU, I have portable wifi hidden and no flumbling with my mobile phone .. using the right tool for the right job and leaving headunit as a headunit separately.

Lastly, I gave away my alpine F1 headunit in place of the android headunit but kept my F1 processor with no issue on sound quality.

Cheers.

Richard

Edited by richard_crl032
↡ Advertisement

Hi Fumio,

Nice writeup and share.

However, it is android headunit for me all the way but indeed via digital output to dsp to bypass unknown dac used of varying quality. Note there are already android headunit with optical output while branded headunit with AA or carplay took a step back to be without one ... or you have usb to optical converter for digital output since it is possible from android 7 onwards.

Advantage to me are:

- full access to playstore apps e.g. tunein, meeradio etc. and not crippled apps available only from these branded headunit like alpine, pioneer etc.

I can also play hi res dsd files via usb audio pro or onkyo hf players while most brand headunits cannot even play lossless flac files.

It was my quest for replacement for defunct dab by mediacorp which led to internet radio with flawless reception .. you either get full signal or none and the latter is near non existent since telcos guarantees QOS. Quite fun when passenger ask of my headunit brand to buy when I have local mediacorp fm stations playing at basement carparks .. keke.

On the constant need to troubleshoot, it is only because owners are not savy .. same as your mobile phone.

No issue with cd player .. just plug in any usb dvd/cd drive from sim lim and I get unlimited audio playback from my 2TB hdd.

With android HU, I have portable wifi hidden and no flumbling with my mobile phone .. using the right tool for the right job and leaving headunit as a headunit separately.

Lastly, I gave away my alpine F1 headunit in place of the android headunit but kept my F1 processor with no issue on sound quality.

Cheers.

Richard

Great to hear you have got a tok gong android head unit. Didn’t know already had optical output for android. Hear from ppl Clarion brand have optical. Dunno y big 3 do not proceed to optical output. Maybe trying to remain old school audiophile? Since also never hear super expensive hifi system uses optical also.

So can you confirm that any FLAC files played can be bypassed to external DSP? Normally android users uses apps like power amp. Can it do that too?

So yours from Aestmod too? Or can provide a link to your brand? I would like to find out more. ( still not convinced android can out of box good sound haha)

Thanks for your sharing!

Great to hear you have got a tok gong android head unit. Didnât know already had optical output for android. Hear from ppl Clarion brand have optical. Dunno y big 3 do not proceed to optical output. Maybe trying to remain old school audiophile? Since also never hear super expensive hifi system uses optical also.

So can you confirm that any FLAC files played can be bypassed to external DSP? Normally android users uses apps like power amp. Can it do that too?

So yours from Aestmod too? Or can provide a link to your brand? I would like to find out more. ( still not convinced android can out of box good sound haha)

Thanks for your sharing!

Hi Fumio,

I had the newsmy HU 3 yrs ago with comes with android box that has hdmi output that I used a hdmi to digital converter to output to my F1 processor.

You can get the android headunit with optical output and accompanying 8 channel dsp from redpower for many car makes which I am using in my forester:

https://redpower.ru/front

I am also having another android headunit with optical output from smarty trend:

http://smarty-trend.com/255-subaru-forester-2013

Actually old school big 3 had optical output and it is only due to multimedia push that current product from them are lacking. Clarion does have optical output since about 1 yr ago but reportedly buggy and so are those with AA 1 to 3 yrs ago when I was looking .. not sure now.

Sure flac files can be played .. all files, including dsd files can be played and limited only by suitable apps and poweramp is no exception... usb pro audio even bypass android default audio to their own.

PM me to heard out what SQ is possible from android headunit but I do have MP Z 4 ways with 4 pcs of steg masterstroke class A and msk1500 amps together with my moďded alpine F1 processor and customised installation.

Cheers.

Richard

Great to hear you have got a tok gong android head unit. Didnât know already had optical output for android. Hear from ppl Clarion brand have optical. Dunno y big 3 do not proceed to optical output. Maybe trying to remain old school audiophile? Since also never hear super expensive hifi system uses optical also.

Thanks for your sharing!

Clarion nx706 / 807 - it digital optical out

Can play flac files ....

Using one and happy with it

Clarion nx706 / 807 - it digital optical out

Can play flac files ....

Using one and happy with it

Think I was in your car during one of the meetup at Bishan. :)

Just went for my 1k service, was told by the service guy that our in-car camera (Hella) can't connect to permanently on fuses like reading lamp due to battery draining and wiring burning issues (related to warranty). So camera will not work when electricity is cut, means parking mode is basically disabled. Just want to check with bros here is this the story for all subaru cars who installed in-car camera with them? Thanks!

Hi All, 

My SE told me when buying that it can be done at 1k  servicing. Mine is Blackvue.  Anyone has had MI do it before?

Ahahhahahaa.....

Yes yes ....

So what the next step

Oh I take it rather slowly also due to budget. Haha.

I am waiting for soundskins pro delivery to arrive. Then I intend soundproof trunk/wheel arch, rear 2doors( already have SP front doors, maybe some part of roof (I have sunroof) and boot door.

Soundproof of floor and hood maybe later or not do it.

Next will be dsp, 2more channel amp, mids for 3 way active. This part most headache financially because once you add midrange for 3way it’s better to do customer pillar too. Singapore custom pillar very expensive I think. Everyone try to charge me $600-700. Haha

Next will be to add 12” sub in boot really later.

This Friday 9pm.

Kallang ------ ice meet up

Oh no I still overseas. Have to miss this. :(

Hi guys, asking behalf of my dad - anyone faced the following issues? 

1. ABS and other warning lightings refuse to go off

2. Engine refuse to start for 1st few tries. 

Never had these issues with Forester 2.0XT in the past. It only started last 2 weeks :(

• Praise 1

Never had these issues with Forester 2.0XT in the past. It only started last 2 weeks :(

There is nothing much you can do on your own. So back to MI is the best option

All my warning lights were lighted up, it was due to a faulty switch/connector which is located under the driver's seat. Repaired by MI under warranty.

• Praise 2

Hi Richard....

Omg... how do you even start to install this many wires for the autolock??

Thanks for the advice

MX

hey Mo,

Just left ah boom shop ... no luck, I have exactly the same as you have ... after install not working... :(

• Praise 1

hey Mo,

Just left ah boom shop ... no luck, I have exactly the same as you have ... after install not working... ï¼ï¼

Hi Aber/Mo,

Sorry to hear ... pls ask aliexpress seller ... they updated the listing and I am now unsure liao.

At worst case, this is the solution:

Auto Door Lock For Subaru SJ for S$150 https://sg.carousell.com/p/163399683

With apology.

Cheers.

Richard

Edited by richard_crl032

There is nothing much you can do on your own. So back to MI is the best option

All my warning lights were lighted up, it was due to a faulty switch/connector which is located under the driver's seat. Repaired by MI under warranty.

Thanks for the advice! Will send in for due servicing on next Wed hope the issues don't get worse before that
  • Praise 1

Could be due to weak battery which can cause the above symptoms. How old is your car battery?

For peace of mind, send it back to MI if your car is still under warranty

• Praise 1

hey Mo,

Just left ah boom shop ... no luck, I have exactly the same as you have ... after install not working... ï¼ï¼

Ahhh how much boom charge to install and install the device?

Ahhh how much boom charge to install and install the device?

Ah Boon did not charge...

he installed and removed the OBD, after we tested it and discovered that the device not able to function.