2015 Forester 2.0

subarudreamer

Hi All,

Believe I am finally done with any further trial on getting the most compliant and/or plush ride while alleviating the "floaty" or "rolling" stock ride which is especially challenging for the stiffer forester xt: .

RSR lower spring with cusco touring A with setting of lowly 6/6 out of 40/40

Yes, I went ballistic and completed the changeover with full sti flexible front strut, front stabiliser, rear stabiliser and subframe links but frankly no idea how they had impacted the ride while they certainly did not made it worse ... it is quite an expensive collection of just bars and do not believe necessary as tested on kaki's ride with RSR and cusco touring A without them.

In this long almost 2 years process, I removed all previous cusco front strut, cusco front arb and cusco (also wrx's) rear arb and back to stock arbs ... cusco arb especially the popular rear one alleviates roll needed during 1% of my drive time but introduced harshness as well as more bumpy ride for the remaining 99% which I find unacceptable.

I changed out the STI pink springs which is too jittery and taking small road bumps too obviously ... surprising RSR while stiffer I think (STI pink spring never did published their specification) was more inert to road bumps. Yes, 25mm lowered instead of 15mm now but I am one who does not mind lowered ride and like the lowered look especially when roadholding certainly improved as compared to stock or pink springs since lowered centre of gravity.

However, the key is really adjustable cusco touring A which unfortunately is also not inexpensive... our forester ride can be then optimised to your butt sensitivity as compared to stock dampers.

Hope this helps and YYMV while acknowledging the generous owners who allowed me to understand various options and results, including bro rainman who braved the norm to had the rear arb totally removed which led me to address this typical use of stiffer arbs which is still a cost effective band aid but will not get me to my expected ride experience.

Cheers.

Richard

PS: Just removed the front 26mm front cusco arb compared to 20mm I think for stock ones ... what a relief !

Where you bought and installed your Cusco touring A and what is the damage?

Car just passed 100k and can start to hear some slight noise from shock absorber when going through road hump.

Hope to get replacement one with better comfort.

↡ Advertisement

Car just passed 100k and can start to hear some slight noise from shock absorber when going through road hump.

U can get it from BKS woodlands but I think Ah Keong will need to indent and ship from japan. Cost abt $1K with install

For suspension sounds, is it coming from the front or rear? If front, maybe your front lower control arm bushings. The stock ones can start to fail as early as 30-40,000 km mileage

U can get it from BKS woodlands but I think Ah Keong will need to indent and ship from japan. Cost abt $1K with install

For suspension sounds, is it coming from the front or rear? If front, maybe your front lower control arm bushings. The stock ones can start to fail as early as 30-40,000 km mileage

Don't think is bushing.

Already changed to performance type some time ago.

Sound both front and rear can hear if go over slightly faster.

Go slow no sound yet.

Hi Tohto,

Thinks dampers up to 100k about time liao.

Mine from kaki's contact at bro price at 800+ excluding say 150 installation and 50-80 alignment or about 1k.

PM me if serious and I will ask for you .. we old kaki here liao.

Cheers.

Richard

Hi James,

Can double check with BKS but think I over heard more like 1.3k and they do have stock now. If you buy from Japan, it will be about 800+ also but warranty need to send back of course while BKS will handled if bought from them.

Include installation of course but not sure got alignment .. but it is reasonable cos my mentioned 1k is bro price which is not brainer for my case cos got warranty which I am also not sure if I can get again.

Cheers.

Richard

Edited by richard_crl032
  • Praise 1

I was using 18x8 rims. You can use 225/55 or 235/50. I’ve tried both and my preference is the latter as I find it gives better grip (maybe placebo), looks better (wider stance) and more importantly, a lot more choices for tyres.

Have you considered Goodyear F1A5? It’s available in 235/50 profile. Not many shops carries it currently. The only shop that I know carries it is Arrow tyres and the price is quite good

thanks James and yes i would like F1A5 if can get hands on it. just wasn't sure if the profile was available initially. does ur rims came with the Subaru TPMS? cos' i heard not all tyre shops good at changing them out to new rims and can get damaged in the process.

I'm on 18x8 too. Running 225/55.

Any rubbing for 235/50? What's your offset btw?

Thinking of 235 for the next change but looking at 225/55, at full lock, its almost going to rub liao.

Another reason I'm a bit apprehensive is cuz my car is the NA, a bit worried about the acceleration with the wider tyres

thanks for info zpliu...

Don't think is bushing.

Already changed to performance type some time ago.

Sound both front and rear can hear if go over slightly faster.

Go slow no sound yet.

stock KYB probably not meant to last 100k... even if they last 60k already very good liao...

for comfort probably still have to go to stock or stock equivalent. 

quite sure stockists will carry KYB, not sure if there's Excel G for forester...

• Praise 1

Hi Tohto,

Thinks dampers up to 100k about time liao.

Mine from kaki's contact at bro price at 800+ excluding say 150 installation and 50-80 alignment or about 1k.

PM me if serious and I will ask for you .. we old kaki here liao.

Cheers.

Richard

Hi James,

Can double check with BKS but think I over heard more like 1.3k and they do have stock now. If you buy from Japan, it will be about 800+ also but warranty need to send back of course while BKS will handled if bought from them.

Include installation of course but not sure got alignment .. but it is reasonable cos my mentioned 1k is bro price which is not brainer for my case cos got warranty which I am also not sure if I can get again.

Cheers.

Richard

Now that you mentioned, I may have remembered wrongly but it’s in the range of $1k. For big ticket items especially suspension components, I prefer to get from workshop even if it’s more exp. In case there is any issue with the part, there is no risk of finger pointing

For those who are keen to get from BKS, best to check with Ah keong directly. His prices are pretty good becos he tries to order in bulk and goes via sea freight instead of air freight. Cheaper but takes longer

Edited by Jamesgetz

thanks James and yes i would like F1A5 if can get hands on it. just wasn't sure if the profile was available initially. does ur rims came with the Subaru TPMS? cos' i heard not all tyre shops good at changing them out to new rims and can get damaged in the process.

thanks for info zpliu...

stock KYB probably not meant to last 100k... even if they last 60k already very good liao...

for comfort probably still have to go to stock or stock equivalent.

quite sure stockists will carry KYB, not sure if there's Excel G for forester...

I wasn’t aware the local foresters come with TPMS. Which year is your FXT?

I recall there is KYB Excel G for SJ forester. In fact someone was selling in Carousell a while ago.

• Praise 1

I wasn’t aware the local foresters come with TPMS. Which year is your FXT?

I recall there is KYB Excel G for SJ forester. In fact someone was selling in Carousell a while ago.

sorry didn't realise SJ forester didn't come with TPMS, i am driving XV  [;)] but forester forum still more fun and informative...

hope to get a 2020 Outback style forester (interior plus the 2.4T engine / E-boxer) in next iteration...

• Praise 2

Hi Epilson,

Not at all ... it is on carousell:

Subaru Forester SJ / XT ( Magic Collar Kit ) for S$250 https://sg.carousell.com/p/164103836

But cannot remember installation fee liao .. paiseh.

Btw, photo used is my ride before rear bumper mod but I dunno him to help recommend fitting this .. lol !

Cheers.

Richard

Hi,

May i know which workshops will be qualified to install these components, n it will improve ride on stock suspension setup too?

Hi,

May i know which workshops will be qualified to install these components, n it will improve ride on stock suspension setup too?

I did mine at BMS. Ah boy and the mech explained and advised what is good and the con.

However, after bms, as they don't do alignment, I have to drive to kenny's to have my alignment done.

Both bms and kenny are not cheap but they did a good job. However, the price is reasonable. Magic collar or spoon rigid collar(I use spoon) will take some time to install.

If u are going to BMS, do take a look at hardrace too. It's a different product that quite good for handling performance..a bit harsh in my opinions but still within comfort zone, in fact, cusco is even harsher.

Nearly all my extra are done at BMS except my bushing which I did at DM with Eric. Eric is not bad too. Drove a trick out forester as well.

But if u do it at a..Kenny is just opp. Personally, my preference is BMS. They come sitting area, both ac and non ac plus drink vending machine..ak and kenny have to go downstr coffeeshop while u wait.

On a sidenote, I do favour BMS because the boss answer query personally. U can seek his advise by whatapps or whatever before u get anything. He will not waste your money.

Likewise bms tuning Andrew and Godfrey is my go to for tuning.

Edited by Doggyfoo
  • Praise 2

Hi,

Hi Shutterbox,

Nothing to do with suspension but yes, car will feel more planted and in control ...downside is slightly noisier but acceptable to me and hence did not remove.

Carousell seller and workshop is for magic collars thailand for replica of more expensive spoon japan who invented this. Btw, seller's workshop is just opposite Kenny Alignment c/o Steven.

Cheers.

Richard

Edited by richard_crl032
  • Praise 1

Hi Shutterbox,

Nothing to do with suspension but yes, car will feel more planted and in control ...downside is slightly noisier but acceptable to me and hence did not remove.

Carousell seller and workshop is for magic collars thailand for replica of more expensive spoon japan who invented this. Btw, seller's workshop is just opposite Kenny Alignment c/o Steven.

Cheers.

Richard

Richard,

I don't find the cabin noisier, it's probably slightly quieter since some untraceable noises have disappeared. :) This is even with the body damper installed.

Richard,

I don't find the cabin noisier, it's probably slightly quieter since some untraceable noises have disappeared. :) This is even with the body damper installed.

Hi Tow,

Cool .. yymv .. in theory with the subframe being locked down stiffer, it becomes less flexible and you should feel more of the road akin to any stiffening e.g. springs, arb etc. and hence noise which I did.

Most importantly is that that you did not unlike most who I spoke to out of the 35+ who went to Steven to fit the magic collars .. all good :)

Cheers.

Richard

Hi Tow,

Cool .. yymv .. in theory with the subframe being locked down stiffer, it becomes less flexible and you should feel more of the road akin to any stiffening e.g. springs, arb etc. and hence noise which I did.

Most importantly is that that you did not unlike most who I spoke to out of the 35+ who went to Steven to fit the magic collars .. all good :)

Cheers.

Richard

I reckon that you have a pair of very sensitive ears!

Yeah, I am good for now, next will be when the dampers up the lorry.

• Praise 1

Hi Shutterbox,

Cheers.

Richard

Hi Richard,

After installing the magic collars, need to do alignment?

Epsilon

Hi Richard,

After installing the magic collars, need to do alignment?

Epsilon

Hi Epsilon,

At least for my case based on minor alignment done after installation of magic collars, it is a nice to have and not absolutely needed.

Cheers.

Richard

Hi guys, got a SJ XT recently. Find that the handling and sound system is a little lacking.

Looking for some upgrades, looking at hardrace struts and sway bar. feedback on that?

Also, any recommendations for ice upgrades? something bang for buck haha

On 8/26/2019 at 11:40 PM, Mozzo said:

Hi guys, got a SJ XT recently. Find that the handling and sound system is a little lacking.

Looking for some upgrades, looking at hardrace struts and sway bar. feedback on that?

Also, any recommendations for ice upgrades? something bang for buck haha

How much of a change are u looking at?

Many of us are on WRX rear sway bar which will help eliminate/reduce the body roll. Of cuz it is not as much as the hardrace or other aftermarket ones as it is not as thick. However for the price of below 200 bucks, it is value for money. Personally, I feel that the sway bar have more effect than the strut (using the STi flexible tower bar).

You can also consider the STi springs and/or the STi dampers for slight improvements and minimal loss of height. If u willing to go lower, can go source for other springs or coilover 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1