2015 Forester 2.0

subarudreamer

On 8/26/2019 at 11:40 PM, Mozzo said:

Hi guys, got a SJ XT recently. Find that the handling and sound system is a little lacking.

Looking for some upgrades, looking at hardrace struts and sway bar. feedback on that?

Also, any recommendations for ice upgrades? something bang for buck haha

Hi Mozzo,

Welcome to forester ownership !!!

YMMV especially for compliant and not best handling in my preferred case but for strut and sway bars, I stick to good old Japanese Cusco especially Taiwanese hardrace not cheap also.  Struts to me are minimal impact but both front and rear swaybar aka anti-roll bar or ARB will certainly be felt ... improved handling and alleviate floaty feels but it also create harshness especially rear arb as our rear suspension is the biggest issue which is worse than typical SUV and not to mentioned lower sedans. 

I learnt the hard way with full cusco front strut, rear beatrush strut and front/rear arb but now with all flexible STI including front strut but back to stock front and rear arb ... I had cusco rear arb, wrx rear arb before going back to stock as well cusco front arb before going back to stock one also. 

More on handling and ride impact of magic collar, front/rear bumper dampers, steering damper/stiffener etc. etc. but believe one have to put a bit more into RSR spring lowered by 25mm and then coupled with adjustable cusco touring A dampers to optimise before anything else if I know then what I know now ... again for my soft bum and preferred compliant ride since not into coilovers.

On ICE upgrades specifically for SJ XT with Harmon Kardon system, it will be drop in replacement from kickers but do get adaptors since stock is 6X9 while these are coaxial round ones and strong recommend to add an active sub from Pioneers at say sgd450:

https://www.amazon.com/2012-2017-Upgreade-Subaru-Crosstrek-H631SFJ001/dp/B01JQRNHY8/ref=pd_sbs_263_4/144-4533138-4977322?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01JQRNHY8&pd_rd_r=9aad6ba3-5cd7-4518-ba0f-6e814e5dde03&pd_rd_w=Qb2qb&pd_rd_wg=Dl0am&pf_rd_p=1c11b7ff-9ffb-4ba6-8036-be1b0afa79bb&pf_rd_r=MGPHN32YWCR5S3G2P80C&psc=1&refRID=MGPHN32YWCR5S3G2P80C

I will not go into other non forester ICE upgrade as the sky is the limit and the ground is too far wide as well as I am not sure if your budget is 5k minimally or up to 100k active setup seen at EMMA competitions.

Cheers and enjoy !!!

Richard

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

On 8/17/2019 at 10:37 PM, Jamesgetz said:

I’ve used rims 18x8 with +35 and +40 offset. Car lowered on RSR springs. Doesn’t rub with 235/50R18. I’ve tried 245/50R18 which rubs a little at full turn

Actually I feel the car pickup is slightly better with 235/50 compared to 225/55. Maybe placebo but I think it’s due to slightly smaller rolling diameter.

Hi James/Orixy,

Changed to 235/55/18 Primacy 4 (made in Spain) since I wish for more rubber and associated more compliant ride but Primacy 4 ST (made in Thailand and China) does not have profile 55.

ZP had seen that with lowered ride with RSR springs and Prodrive 18" rims with 43 offset I think, it is still ok with very slight rubbing at full lock when making u turn as suspension is also bouncing but nothing of any concern for me and I do like how it feels up the wheel arches.

Cheers,

Richard

Screenshot_20190828-183037_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20190828-183101_Drive.jpg

Edited by richard_crl032
more info
  • Praise 2

21 hours ago, richard_crl032 said:

Hi James/Orixy,

Changed to 235/55/18 Primacy 4 (made in Spain) since I wish for more rubber and associated more compliant ride but Primacy 4 ST (made in Thailand and China) does not have profile 55.

ZP had seen that with lowered ride with RSR springs and Prodrive 18" rims with 43 offset I think, it is still ok with very slight rubbing at full lock when making u turn as suspension is also bouncing but nothing of any concern for me and I do like how it feels up the wheel arches.

Cheers,

Richard

Screenshot_20190828-183037_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20190828-183101_Drive.jpg

Looks good!   

• Praise 1

Hi James,

Thanks 🙏

Another view and think gap between profile 55 tyres and wheel arch looks decent in addition to being more compliant 😁

Cheers.

Richard

20190831_100603.jpg

Edited by richard_crl032

Hi guys,

steering wheel vibrates when braking at above 100km/hr.

what are the other factors resulting to this other than rotor is warped?

any concern if its not remedied?

10 hours ago, jeremyboyle said:

Hi guys,

Have you checked your front lower control arm bushings?  Quite common for SJ models to have front LCA cracked bushings

• Praise 1

11 hours ago, jeremyboyle said:

Hi guys,

If you feel can vibration, it means there are intermittent forces resulting from braking. More common cause is warped rotor.  So the main concern is that the braking force is not 100% and likely result in an increase of your braking distance. Your handling would also be affected during emergency braking. Other issues are often not life-critical, but brakes are critical to safety. 

Edited by andrewyewkc
  • Praise 2

Hi Seniors... Can you guys help to consolidate a list of the common issues to our Subaru? Lately I just replace my Aircon Condenser at 40+ k mileage ... I am lucky to read from this forum that it is a very common prob for our forester, so I quickly brought my car to Subaru since it’s still under warranty...

Many thanks in advance! :)

Common issues :

1) 

2)

On 9/5/2019 at 10:00 PM, Jamesgetz said:

Has anyone gotten this?  Looks great and the price is quite reasonable

https://sg.carousell.com/p/249273833

Hi James, 

Indeed wheelzkin is most competitively priced and cool guy who is very helpful.

I had leather wrapped nicely by wheelzkin on stock steering but progressed to kenstyle double D leather one ... but to me, it made stock plastic cover looks worse and wheelzkin helped with making it leather also which is much nicer now ... yymv.

Cheers.

Richard

Screenshot_20190907-011802_Gallery.jpg

Edited by richard_crl032

3 hours ago, Sunshines11 said:

Hi Seniors... Can you guys help to consolidate a list of the common issues to our Subaru? Lately I just replace my Aircon Condenser at 40+ k mileage ... I am lucky to read from this forum that it is a very common prob for our forester, so I quickly brought my car to Subaru since it’s still under warranty...

Many thanks in advance! 🙂

Common issues :

1) Aircon condenser .. 20-40k km

2) Front bushing .. 40-90k km (use compatible sg ones if not warrantied)

3) Front exhaust piping fastener .. 20-30k km

4) Wheel bearings especially front ... 50-90k km

5) hope not ! 

Edited by richard_crl032
  • Praise 1

On 9/6/2019 at 1:27 PM, jeremyboyle said:

Okie thanks guys , shall go to ws soonest

Just to add, the rotors may not be warped but have uneven layer of brake pad deposits.   This can happen if you are using brake pads which are not suitable for your usage.   Just need to resurface the rotors and change your brake pads.  

On 9/6/2019 at 10:40 PM, Sunshines11 said:

Many thanks in advance! 🙂

Common issues :

1) 

2)

Cooling coil, front arm bushing.

Wheel bearing, will start to get noisy above 80k.

My front wheel bearing changed at 90k, rear at 100k.

My previous conti at 230k scrap still perfect. 

Edited by Tohto
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2