2015 Forester 2.0

subarudreamer

2 hours ago, Rachdanom said:

Hi bros, looking for any advice I can get on this crack (attached photo) that I got on the windscreen when what felt like a tiny sand/stone  particle hit it while driving on expressway.

Some questions that come to mind are :

Will it need to change the windscreen and what cost? 

I bought my XT in june 2016 so should still be under warranty I believe, would it be covered?

What about car insurance would it cover this under accident?

I got only questions and hope to have some answers...

20191231_164846.jpg

I don't think warranty covers crack windscreen

check your insurance document to see if covered and which are the approved glass workshops (the two big ones here are glass-fix and Dr Glass)

in the meantime, cover up the crack with clear tape so reduce dust/water from entering. Cos if they repair/refill it, the dust will still show up.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

1 hour ago, JohnSHL said:

I don't think warranty covers crack windscreen

check your insurance document to see if covered and which are the approved glass workshops (the two big ones here are glass-fix and Dr Glass)

in the meantime, cover up the crack with clear tape so reduce dust/water from entering. Cos if they repair/refill it, the dust will still show up.

Thanks bro.  My insurance company, QBE, has a few authorised workshops I can go to, which will cover windscreen replacement.  I am wondering though whether they can reinstate my BlackView cam which is attached to the windscreen?

8 minutes ago, Rachdanom said:

Thanks bro.  My insurance company, QBE, has a few authorised workshops I can go to, which will cover windscreen replacement.  I am wondering though whether they can reinstate my BlackView cam which is attached to the windscreen?

car camera is small issue. They probably have the doubleside tape for that. If not just buy your own. But stick it back only after you put new windscreen tint.

• Praise 1

Windscreen are dual layers.

The crack is probably the outer layer. Can try repairing it. They'll fill the gap with a sealant. 

Factory glass and sealant usually are better than replacement stuff/workmanship. 

12 hours ago, JohnSHL said:

car camera is small issue. They probably have the doubleside tape for that. If not just buy your own. But stick it back only after you put new windscreen tint.

11 hours ago, Fordred said:

Windscreen are dual layers.

The crack is probably the outer layer. Can try repairing it. They'll fill the gap with a sealant. 

Factory glass and sealant usually are better than replacement stuff/workmanship. 

Thanks bros for the tips.  Will keep them in mind.

16 hours ago, Rachdanom said:

Hi bros, looking for any advice I can get on this crack (attached photo) that I got on the windscreen when what felt like a tiny sand/stone  particle hit it while driving on expressway.

I bought my XT in june 2016 so should still be under warranty I believe, would it be covered?

20191231_164846.jpg

This is a small crack only.  There are workshops that can help you to fill up the crack.  There are also some freelance guys in this forum that can help you to fix it up.  However, you have to repair it asap to prevent it from spreading.

• Praise 1

Subaru Recall: Front Exhaust Pipe Nuts (EPF) Issue

Anyone receive the above letter for recall.  If you have send back for check/service, how long does it take to handle this issue?

• Praise 2

Just wondering if any bros find our sjg left mirror to be kind of weird. 

Previously, I have cataract and didn't think much of it, thought it was my eyes problem but after cataract ops. I have find the left mirror to be... Err...how to say..narrower view??

On 12/31/2019 at 5:04 PM, Rachdanom said:

20191231_164846.jpg

Try glass fix, they should able to seal it. Just google.

On 12/30/2019 at 9:08 PM, Duatau said:

Hi bros,

For those that bought speed lock from TB, any idea where does this connects to?

Anyway this is for FL SJ.

20191230_210542.jpg

Hi Duatau,

Most taobao ones dun work and those worked had sellers giving instructions how to wire .. afraid you have to check old posts here to find out.

If all fail, there is a carousell seller sells and installs for you.

Btw, good mod for safety.

Cheers.

Richard

On 1/1/2020 at 10:00 AM, milynot said:

Anyone receive the above letter for recall.  If you have send back for check/service, how long does it take to handle this issue?

Hi Mily,

Letter or not, you can ask MI to check and rectify during your next service.

You will know if it does fail ..  loud undercarriage rattling noise even whrn idling.

My 2 yr old fxt has done 56k km and it failed at 30k + probably 6 mths ago.

Bsck to your question, it took an hour but probably a 5 mins job.

Cheers.

Richard

On 12/31/2019 at 8:24 PM, Rachdanom said:

Hi Rach,

Typical insurance cover windscreen replacement to different T&C and glad yours also does so.

Refitting car cam is almost guaranteed else how to replace ?

Bigger question will be to have solar film replaced which is not foc if already fitted.

Cheers.

Richard

7 hours ago, thefalcon said:

Hi guys,

Our car has a keyless start that requires us to step on the brake pedal before pressing the engine starts.

Recently about last 5 days, I noticed that when my car is cold, eg in the morning, the brake pedal is very hard to step, I can barely compress it.

Many a times, I need to step hard on the brakes to start the engine.

Anything wrong? Or its something I can just ignore?

Yes, my car also recently had this hardening of the brake pedal. I have highlighted to MI during my servicing, but as usual no feedback from them when i pick up my car.  

On 1/1/2020 at 10:00 AM, milynot said:

Yes I jus received this recall for my July 2016 car. 

I will prob send my car in during my Feb svcing.

On 1/5/2020 at 10:30 AM, thefalcon said:

Hi guys,

Our car has a keyless start that requires us to step on the brake pedal before pressing the engine starts.

Recently about last 5 days, I noticed that when my car is cold, eg in the morning, the brake pedal is very hard to step, I can barely compress it.

Many a times, I need to step hard on the brakes to start the engine.

Anything wrong? Or its something I can just ignore?

Hi.

You should check your brake booster.

When checking operation, be sure to apply the parking brake securely.
When an operation check is performed with no measuring devices, a faulty part cannot be identified correctly.
But it is possible to identify the outline of the defect by performing the check according to the following procedures.
• Air tightness check
1) Start the engine, and idle it for 1 to 2 minutes, then turn it OFF.
2) Depress the brake pedal several times applying the normal pedal force.
NOTE:
The pedal stroke should be the longest at the 1st depression, and it should become shorter at each successive
depression.
3) If no change occurs in the pedal height when pressed, the vacuum booster assembly is faulty.

• Check operation
1) While the engine is OFF, depress the brake pedal several times applying the same pedal force, to check
for a change in pedal height.

2) With the brake pedal depressed, start the engine.
3) As the engine starts, the brake pedal should move slowly toward the floor. If the pedal height does not
change, the vacuum booster assembly is faulty.
NOTE:
If a faulty part is detected after inspection, check precisely with measuring devices.

• Loaded air tightness check
Depress the brake pedal while the engine is running, and turn the engine to OFF while the pedal is depressed.
Keep the pedal depressed for 30 seconds. If the pedal height does not change, the function of vacuum booster
assembly is normal. If the pedal height increases, it is faulty.
NOTE:
If a faulty part is detected after inspection, check precisely with measuring devices.

• Praise 2

Happy New Year to everyone at this forum.

I'm new to this forum, though I've owned the Subaru FXT 2015 for close to 5 years now.  I sent car for 90k servicing package (mileage ard 78k) when the SA called to inform me of these following items with the estimated costs:

1. Sound coming from steering rack and loose steering wheel (est 3.3k with labour to change whole steering rack).
  2. Weak battery (No ask price as I just change last year.  Will change on my own)
  3. Worn out engine mounts (est  $100 with labour)
  4. Hardened suspension, likely due to wear and tear of Absorbers (est $1k plus with labour)

Think I'll only pay for the engine mount since it's the cheapest of the 4 items.  Will need some advice from experience bros here on the following:

1. Is Cusco A setup good for ride quality?  Wifey and kids always say very bumpy at back and I can attest to this when going over humps.  Shout out to Richard for your generous sharing.  Learnt a lot.  Looking to swap out the stock for some aftermarkets.
  2. Do I need to change the suspension mount when changing the suspension or it's included in the package to change suspension?
  3. Any other things I can do to soften the ride quality for rear passengers?

I don't really like MI as they seem to be quoting me an arm and leg when I've done the following things with them as follows over the years:

1. Change bushing kits (Think Low Control Arm Broke or something.  Basically, front wheel keep stuttering when driving) - Paid $800 i think.
  2. Air con condenser (died on me within 1st year and SA has cheek to tell me not covered).  Heng, I no go pay cox should be bumper to bumper for first year.  Oh ya, front light bulb also gone within first year.
  3. Loss of engine power (MI still don't know what's wrong).  I can lose engine power like as though the engine wanna die out like that at times.

Sorry for the long post.  Will be appreciative of any info shared in improving ride quality. Haiz, really think Subaru quality very bad.  Previous car (Mitsubishi lancer - cheap cheap car) also don't give me so many problems.

Best Regards,
Edmund

Edited by edmundhoyy

On 1/5/2020 at 6:24 PM, MPS said:

Yes, my car also recently had this hardening of the brake pedal. I have highlighted to MI during my servicing, but as usual no feedback from them when i pick up my car.  

Hi Bro, I think I can answer this issue.

happen to mine, after my 5th servicing with them, MI said has to leave for a day to inspect,  mine is if left parking overnite for more than 8hrs pedal seen hard (coz by vacuum leakage before the check valve) this check valve located at booster hose mid location, so you need to do sealing at the Booster outlet joint, I use the high temp sealer before clip back the hose.

well everything goes well after.

Engineer Yippe. 

• Praise 3

On 1/7/2020 at 10:08 PM, thefalcon said:

Dear OnceInALifeTime,

Thanks for your sharing, I check as your instruction. All result positive.

Hi!

It is not my instructions. It is from Subaru Factory Service Manual.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1