2015 Forester 2.0

subarudreamer

On 5/3/2020 at 12:54 PM, Cashgoh said:

Thank. Have upgraded both front and rear bar. The ride feel very stiff but corner is more stable. Need to drive a long distance after this period to have more experience on it. Seem like my brushes is give way soon as well.

Hi Goh,

There is known early failure of bushing of our sj forester that can happen from 20-50k km regardless with upgrade front arb or not.

When bks woodlands replaces them, they do so with compatible sh forester ones that is reportedly more lasting from past experiences.

Dun be surprised if your whole steering wheel vibrates up and down violently when even making slight turn at 90kmhr ... it shocked me and thought the steering mechanism failed which is a much bigger issue.

Cheers.

Richard

↡ Advertisement

On 5/11/2020 at 8:53 AM, richard_crl032 said:

Hi Goh,

There is known early failure of bushing of our sj forester that can happen from 20-50k km regardless with upgrade front arb or not.

When bks woodlands replaces them, they do so with compatible sh forester ones that is reportedly more lasting from past experiences.

Dun be surprised if your whole steering wheel vibrates up and down violently when even making slight turn at 90kmhr ... it shocked me and thought the steering mechanism failed which is a much bigger issue.

Cheers.

Richard

Seems like my experience as well. Was on about 30k km when this happened. When doing slight turns on NSHW above 90kmh, car kept juddering. Initially though it was differential that was a problem but when I brought back to MI, they replaced the bushing and problem seems to have gone.

Unsure if this is definitely the cause but I think this problem caused one of my tyres to thin more than the others as well. Drove close to 1000km with the issue. So had to change the whole set.

• Haha! 1

(edited)

Ummh, a bit quiet here nowadays.

Anyway, embarked on my recurring last major mod ....

Received used mint part of headlight marked 8Q which I do not know why so rarely available in Yahoo Japan ... usual is 8P or something else:

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/j638713747

Hope to modify it to slightly whitish leds and not sure whether can even be done ... CB period quite hard to make inquiries at usual accessory shops. 

Currently, our headlight is off warm white at probably 5k temp and hope for 6k cool white to match the DRL light that I modded with Osram leds without getting expensive original one and certainly not unreliable tiong ones.

The DRL lights are from there if anyone interesting .... I added clear silicon as further waterproofing to the already included ring washer and accessories shop simply drilled to connect up .. 1.5 yrs and all good:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QUGWV4Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hope to report back when this "final" mod is completed else will be kept as spares since local new ones are probably 1.5k or more EACH side.

Cheers,

Richard

Edited by richard_crl032
  • Praise 1

On 6/29/2020 at 11:25 AM, Hydesg said:

anyone using the STI suspension set? any reviews? 

Am thinking of upgrading the XT suspension.

https://www.sti.jp/en/parts/forester_sj/suspension/ST20310SF000/

can install at motor image?

Hi Bydesg,

Sure can as one bro received his year back with them but not cheap.

However, my recommendation is to stay with adjustable one to tune to your liking against this fixed one.

Cheers.

Richard

On 6/4/2020 at 10:58 PM, richard_crl032 said:

Ummh, a bit quiet here nowadays.

Anyway, embarked on my recurring last major mod ....

Received used mint part of headlight marked 8Q which I do not know why so rarely available in Yahoo Japan ... usual is 8P or something else:

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/j638713747

Hope to modify it to slightly whitish leds and not sure whether can even be done ... CB period quite hard to make inquiries at usual accessory shops. 

Currently, our headlight is off warm white at probably 5k temp and hope for 6k cool white to match the DRL light that I modded with Osram leds without getting expensive original one and certainly not unreliable tiong ones.

The DRL lights are from there if anyone interesting .... I added clear silicon as further waterproofing to the already included ring washer and accessories shop simply drilled to connect up .. 1.5 yrs and all good:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QUGWV4Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hope to report back when this "final" mod is completed else will be kept as spares since local new ones are probably 1.5k or more EACH side.

Cheers,

Richard

Hi bros,

A bit of bad news on this mod ... had been advised that main projection lights of FL with SRH are LED type that cannot be modded.

The unused pair is now on carousell or will be used to replace aged in 7 yrs if my plan to keep for COE renewal.

No heart to get pre FL's halogen or HID ones to mod unless super bored as I also found out that aftermarket ones are not easily matched on drl and projector colors and nowhere nice as those stock audi, merc or evem vezel ones.

Cheers.

Richard

(edited)
4 hours ago, Hydesg said:

Richard, what do you recommend to upgrade to? for coilovers

Hi Hydesg,

I have limited experience on coilover in testing out rides of generous bros with them which are primarily from Pedders and Tein.  I am however bias against getting into coilover from my experience with my estima which was a bad one since i covet comfort and not roadhandling but it is highly subjective due to individual preference and no same identical ride.

Pedders are for the hardcore which is still loved by some but many gave up in the end.  Tein is softer but still, some owners are trying to soften up their ride further. Be wary when workshop tells you that you can adjust coilovers to the softer and it is comfortable .. ymmv.

Unless hardcore driver, I would recommend to stay away from coilover and stay with damper+spring setup

Whichever route of aftermarket damper+spring or coilover, it will be nice for dynamically adjusting ones according to speed and even G forces like Tein which my current Cusco Touring A is not. Believe we all want nice comfortable ride most of the time while having things tighten up in higher speed and spirited cornering.

Key considerations then are the $ and associated failures due to more complex system after you make this move but please note I had not had the opportunity to experience this active edfc pro and damper+spring setup..

Cheers,

Richard

Introduction to edfc active pro and compatible spring+dampers (and also coilover):

<<https://www.tein.com/products/edfc_active_pro.html>>

<<

>>

<<

>>

Edited by richard_crl032
  • Praise 1

Not sure about the excellent fuel mileage bit though... ha ha... my experience is rather dismal fuel consumption especially with all city driving. But I guess overseas with four seasons, it may make a lot more sense...

• Praise 1

On 7/8/2020 at 8:56 AM, Hydesg said:

anyone knows where to get bilstein suspension for the forester xt?

There isn't any for forester XT. 

Was looking at STi rims (12 spokes), with +55 offset (stock is +45 offset). But, it claims can clear BBK ... is that due to spoke design ?

On 7/12/2020 at 10:40 AM, richard_crl032 said:

Hi Hydesg,

Japan has B12  which I bought and sold ... I also just been advised by kaki that USA released B6:

https://www.vividracing.com/bilstein-shock-absorber-subaru-forester-rear-20142018-p-152594852.html

Cheers.

Richard

I am wondering if coilovers are good lowered? I am thinking of cusco street zero A red. There is not much confidence turning sometimes on the highway... 

image.thumb.png.4a74758b90dca86b40574759125766cb.png

On 7/15/2020 at 8:22 AM, Hydesg said:

I am wondering if coilovers are good lowered? I am thinking of cusco street zero A red. There is not much confidence turning sometimes on the highway... 

image.thumb.png.4a74758b90dca86b40574759125766cb.png

Hi Hydesg,

Prepare for harder and more harsh ride with aftermarket suspension .. ymmv 😞

Do consider front cusco anti-roll bar (arb) and rear wrx sti arb which will help your handling which also intro some harshness but marginal .. ymmv 🙂

Cheers.

Richard

↡ Advertisement