2015 Forester 2.0

subarudreamer

On 10/17/2020 at 1:10 PM, richard_crl032 said:

Have no doubt .. tein endura pro plus that is adjustable and tein edfc active pro for most compliant ride while rear motor noise need to be fixed 

IMG-20201017-WA0012.jpeg

Hi,

Solved !  A bit of effort and some big help from kaki with carpentry workshop and rear motor noise issue no longer an issue despite having air vents for ICE while never had doubt that it will be so.

Motors boxed in airtight plexiglass with 2 layers SP materials on inner sides and 5 layers on externals sides as well as dual layer on extenders that was also noisy as seen in photos.

Had been hitting the expressway for roundabout and curvy roads to test out and learn the immensely improved handling as the Tein g and speed sensors work their magic for the incredible smooth and stable ride via dynamic suspension setup.

Endgame of my mods finally that lasted exactly 3 yrs and it had been a wonderful experience especially with the generosity of countless bros who let me try their rides with various suspension setup of various springs, dampers and coilovers.

Eagerly waiting for 1-2 am tonight to take my fxt for another fun ride and listen to some nice vintage oldies music. 😅

Meanwhile spare set of motors and extender had been ordered as no way I will have my fxt without this priceless compliant ride but yet never before achieved superb road holding that no passive mechanical arb, strut, stabiliser bars or any concoction of bars can achieve.

Cheers.

Richard

Screenshot_20201020-213533_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20201020-213539_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20201020-225141_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20201020-225146_Drive.jpg

16032069945123154834362502897467.jpg

Edited by richard_crl032
↡ Advertisement

On 10/17/2020 at 1:10 PM, richard_crl032 said:

Hi,

Still not happy with sti pink spring and adjustable cusco touring A especially after trying bro Jason's fna with tein endura pro plus dampers that was markly more stable and compliant.  More of the special feature of HBS and slightly oversized construction here:

https://www.tein.com/products/endurapro.html

Got weak and went ahead with the endura pro bks woodlands at 1k while ordered the edfc active pro controller from Japan at 1.1k including shipping and kena gst but was glad I did ! Pink springs are no longer jittery and new ride was obviously more compliant than cusco touring A dampers whatever setting tried with its incabin controller.

Yesterday fitted received Tein efdc active pro and was up at 3-4 am last nite on cte, sle, aerospace etc. doing adjustment and wow !!

With g sensor for both lateral and longitudinal adjustment, accelerating sees rear dampers tightens up and deceleration sees front damping tightens up for a stable ride without head rearing up or dipping down.

At increasing speed, my setting for comfort tightens up which is fine to have the needed stability for again a stable ride. 

Last but most important at turns when lateral, longitudinal and speed auto adjustment kicks in,  left damper stiffens up when turning right to pull car flat and vice versa. The result is 80kmhr cornering around usual bend from cte to seletar aerospace area from no confidence became 90 kmhr and still room to push.

I now swears by such dynamic suspension set up with dampers for compliance that was never achievable before 😍.

However, bad news is that while I cannot hear motor noise from front motors, the rear motor noise was unbearable .. it is basically in cabin for forester unlike sedan. This morning attempt with 3m insulation and SP material heavily wrapped made no significant improvement ... now in attempt to box it with the help of my friend and tba.

Have no doubt .. tein endura pro plus that is adjustable and tein edfc active pro for most compliant ride while rear motor noise need to be fixed 😔

Cheers.

Richard

hi Richard,

did you install the EDFC Active Pro at BKS also?

also, how would you rate the Endura Pro just by themselves without EDFC?

also regarding earlier post for coilover.... comfort + handling -> Ohlins 😁 just that bank account need to be comfortable also with the price...

Edited by Sarion

On 10/21/2020 at 9:36 PM, Sarion said:

hi Richard,

did you install the EDFC Active Pro at BKS also?

also, how would you rate the Endura Pro just by themselves without EDFC?

also regarding earlier post for coilover.... comfort + handling -> Ohlins 😁 just that bank account need to be comfortable also with the price...

Hi Sarion,

BKS c/o Ah Keong only stocks dampers and bo edfc .. I bought direct from Japan as usual cos small boxes and local quoted 1.8k, no stock needing to order longer time as well as no warranty reportedly instead of 1.3k I paid including shipping, gst and installation in double quick time.

BMS AMK c/o Heng/Hua helped with installation 2-3 weeks later upon receipt of the edfc active pro after running the Endura Pro plus by its own.

Endura Pro plus is the adjustable version and it damps well compared to cusco touring A ... seems that its marketed HBS really works. However, it is with edfc active pro that takes it to a different level via dynamic adjustment. As an example, I set to medium setting without edfc or simply put to manual with edfc, it is fine but with lateral adjustment, acceleration will see rear dampers tightening up for a flat stable ride and when it gathers speed, it tightens all 4 which then allows you to set it cushy softer at lower speed in the 1st place.

No experience with mega bucks ohlin coilover but as long as not dynamic, there is no comparison since road surfaces, speed and cornering conditions ALWAYS changes continuously unless hardcore sepang bro with known track conditions .. that including Peddars coilover which I will avoid is not for compliant ride.

Do keep in mind that I am now on sti pink springs ... if back to stiffer rsr, it would have been more stable but less compliant. For me, pink springs stays as road holding is already fantastic and beats rsr with cusco touring A at whatever adjustment ... again, watching the edfc display reading tighten left dampers and differently for front and rear when engaging a right bend and you will understand why it is so stable, compliant and in much much better control.

Endgame .... but you have to fix noise issue from rear or accepts it which I cannot. 2 sets of motors and extenders ordered pending arrival to prepare soundproofing it by kaki perhaps vouch for the quantum leap and no way I can do without endura pro plus and edfc active pro after this 3 years search on acceptable ride comfort and handling ? 😅

Cheers.

Richard

Edited by richard_crl032

on the question of suspension:

1) how much improvement will i get to change out stock SJG springs to STI pink? anyone change just rear or front springs instead of all?

2) will installing a front tower strut, with and without changing springs, do any improvement?

3) SJG's factory rear ARB is the 16mm one? I read that upgrading to a thicker ARB (eg the STI one) is going to get a more stable, but harsher ride, especially on rougher roads.

not sure if just changing springs (front or rear of both) or installing ARB or/and strut bar is going to provide a more planted ride without introducing too much harshness

https://www.torquenews.com/1084/all-new-forester-18l-turbo-vs-20xt-and-subarus-plan-you-won-t-be-happy

Subaru Corporation dropped the Forester 2.0XT because the brand is focusing on global fuel-economy standards. Fuel economy in the 2.0XT with a CVT was 27/23 city/highway mpg. Subaru reports the new 2021 Forester Sport 1.8-liter turbocharged engine gets 24.2/35.7

Focus on fuel but city driving like ours in Singapore with lower FC efficiency ? Must start saving $ for 2nd COE for my collectible FXT liao 😅

Screenshot_20201026-112824_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20201026-113153_Chrome.jpg

51 minutes ago, richard_crl032 said:

https://www.torquenews.com/1084/all-new-forester-18l-turbo-vs-20xt-and-subarus-plan-you-won-t-be-happy

Subaru Corporation dropped the Forester 2.0XT because the brand is focusing on global fuel-economy standards. Fuel economy in the 2.0XT with a CVT was 27/23 city/highway mpg. Subaru reports the new 2021 Forester Sport 1.8-liter turbocharged engine gets 24.2/35.7

Focus on fuel but city driving like ours in Singapore with lower FC efficiency ? Must start saving $ for 2nd COE for my collectible FXT liao 😅

Screenshot_20201026-112824_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20201026-113153_Chrome.jpg

This is the real collectible[laugh]

xt.png.d13b67a014a6c7ebf6bbf0cb04331398.png

But 1.8T is not that bad la. 300Nm is still quite fun, but the CVT will zap a lot of fun from it.

16 minutes ago, Stratovarius said:

But 1.8T is not that bad la. 300Nm is still quite fun, but the CVT will zap a lot of fun from it.

Haha ... indeed for many without cvt but not for me .. cannot mod to my aesthetic requirement and too noisy as well as a chore to maintain cos too worn liao.

Cheers.

Richard

Edited by richard_crl032
  • Praise 1

42 minutes ago, Stratovarius said:

Our FXT with 350Nm, due to the CVT already loss a lot of torque through it already. 

Other SUV with around 240bhp+ and 350Nm with 8 speed auto are all getting 0-100km/h of 6sec++.

This 1.8T is a joke. 

Edited by Tohto
  • Praise 1

4 hours ago, shutterbox said:

1) how much improvement will i get to change out stock SJG springs to STI pink? anyone change just rear or front springs instead of all?

2) will installing a front tower strut, with and without changing springs, do any improvement?

3) SJG's factory rear ARB is the 16mm one? I read that upgrading to a thicker ARB (eg the STI one) is going to get a more stable, but harsher ride, especially on rougher roads.

not sure if just changing springs (front or rear of both) or installing ARB or/and strut bar is going to provide a more planted ride without introducing too much harshness

1. Change all 4.

2. Changing springs will have a bigger effect for body roll than front strut

3. Springs will affect the ride both straight and corners - harsher on straights, smoother on corners. ARB will have less effect on straights and not as smooth on corners. If you have the budget and don't mind a lowered SUV, go for springs or coilovers. Else, ARB is good enough.

On 10/24/2020 at 2:05 PM, richard_crl032 said:

Hi Sarion,

BKS c/o Ah Keong only stocks dampers and bo edfc .. I bought direct from Japan as usual cos small boxes and local quoted 1.8k, no stock needing to order longer time as well as no warranty reportedly instead of 1.3k I paid including shipping, gst and installation in double quick time.

BMS AMK c/o Heng/Hua helped with installation 2-3 weeks later upon receipt of the edfc active pro after running the Endura Pro plus by its own.

Endura Pro plus is the adjustable version and it damps well compared to cusco touring A ... seems that its marketed HBS really works. However, it is with edfc active pro that takes it to a different level via dynamic adjustment. As an example, I set to medium setting without edfc or simply put to manual with edfc, it is fine but with lateral adjustment, acceleration will see rear dampers tightening up for a flat stable ride and when it gathers speed, it tightens all 4 which then allows you to set it cushy softer at lower speed in the 1st place.

No experience with mega bucks ohlin coilover but as long as not dynamic, there is no comparison since road surfaces, speed and cornering conditions ALWAYS changes continuously unless hardcore sepang bro with known track conditions .. that including Peddars coilover which I will avoid is not for compliant ride.

Do keep in mind that I am now on sti pink springs ... if back to stiffer rsr, it would have been more stable but less compliant. For me, pink springs stays as road holding is already fantastic and beats rsr with cusco touring A at whatever adjustment ... again, watching the edfc display reading tighten left dampers and differently for front and rear when engaging a right bend and you will understand why it is so stable, compliant and in much much better control.

Endgame .... but you have to fix noise issue from rear or accepts it which I cannot. 2 sets of motors and extenders ordered pending arrival to prepare soundproofing it by kaki perhaps vouch for the quantum leap and no way I can do without endura pro plus and edfc active pro after this 3 years search on acceptable ride comfort and handling ? 😅

Cheers.

Richard

thanks again for details. probably difficult for me to sacrifice the rear cargo space and ability to fold flat for bikes, etc.... i probably will have to sacrifice and just go dampers only with stock springs on my XV when the stock dampers up lorry 😛 can't go very fast on XV anyway

great that you found your setup...

• Praise 1

9 hours ago, Stratovarius said:

actually should wait a bit longer for the next Gen, so that it can have new Levorg technologies digital meter cluster and 11" center screen plus Eyesight X, and hopefully STi version with active dampers. slight tune sure go > 200bhp

and 3years time should see Subaru with strong hybrid tech from Toyota, hopefully then can have something like the new Tucson/Sorento with 1.6T+motor -> 230hp... and yet close to 20km/l efficiency...

9 minutes ago, Sarion said:

actually should wait a bit longer for the next Gen, so that it can have new Levorg technologies digital meter cluster and 11" center screen plus Eyesight X, and hopefully STi version with active dampers. slight tune sure go > 200bhp

and 3years time should see Subaru with strong hybrid tech from Toyota, hopefully then can have something like the new Tucson/Sorento with 1.6T+motor -> 230hp... and yet close to 20km/l efficiency...

They need to replace the CVT with a proper 8 speed auto. 

On 10/26/2020 at 8:43 AM, shutterbox said:

Why change to STi pink springs and not the shock absorber? By just changing to pink springs, you will get a slightly lower right height. But the design of the original shock absorber is not meant to work with the pink springs although it will fit. Next, the shock absorber is supposed to damp the minor movements but after fitting the pink springs, the shock absorber will be compressed, because it is lower and the damping effect might not be good.

By just installing the FLEXIBLE TOWER BAR F without the rest of the components; such as FLEXIBLE DRAW STIFFENER FRONT and FLEXIBLE SUPPORT SUB FRAME R. Might not have a big impact on the handling. However, with a lowered springs and lower C.G. The initial feel will provide more confidence in cornering. However, after awhile, might feel weird. As the springs are not meant for the shock absorber, the feel will not be good when taking bigger bends or curves. In e.g. exiting or entering into highways.

Using the stock 16mm ARB, during cornering. It seems that there is more body roll. I will recommend to go for the 19mm ARB instead. It will provide a more stable feel during road drives without being too harsh.

For change of springs, there is a need to change in 4 pieces, front 2 pieces and rear 2 pieces. However, it is better to obtain the shock dampers that was meant for the springs and vehicle.

Even for shock dampers, there are monotube, twin tube, so on so forth... But mainly is those two. There are pros and cons to each design.

Perhaps, there is a need to look at the focus of a planted ride. If there is an intention, to taking corners like a WRX. Then, there is a need to lower SJG to similar height as a WRX. Change the rims and tyres to wider profile and using road tyres.

Or just simply change to a WRX... Else, you will be spending quite a sum on possible mods to achieve the above said effect.

On 10/26/2020 at 8:43 AM, shutterbox said:

1. Subjective and hard to say how much better since related to your past experiences and expectation but yes, indeed better for roadholding and since harder and lowered by 15mm. One thing about pink springs is that it is jittery and I dun advice mix and matched on your own by having incomplete set ... dun think worth the try to engineer by by trial and error to what subaru or sti had already done and hope you can do better.

2. Slight improvement in cornering handling and nothing more with front strut.

3. Wrx sti rear arb is minor on harshness but also minor in improving roll which is what anti roll bar or arb is about.

As mentioned, not much effect on front strut and harshness sure increases with thicker arb and stiffer springs. To be on the safe side against harshness which is also subjective, pink springs and sti wrx rear arb is fine.

For me if I know now back then, tein endura pro plus and tein edfc active pro first and fine tune from there is still not satisfactory .. dynamic suspension cannot be beaten due to changing road conditions and speed .. endgame.

Cheers.

Richard

Edited by richard_crl032

On 10/26/2020 at 10:37 PM, Sarion said:

thanks again for details. probably difficult for me to sacrifice the rear cargo space and ability to fold flat for bikes, etc.... i probably will have to sacrifice and just go dampers only with stock springs on my XV when the stock dampers up lorry 😛 can't go very fast on XV anyway

great that you found your setup...

Hi Sarion,

Thanks !

Why must give up rear cargo space ?

Din know yours is XV and you have to check how Tein edfc motors will installed if at all available and you dun have to forgo your rear cargo space.

Edfc active pro with dynamic suspension setup will be a major different league in compliance and roadholding even if you have the endura pro plus.

Cheers.

Richard

Edited by richard_crl032

My blackvue that came with the car keeps repeating "resetting the time" everytime I crank the engine. Formatted the sd card but no use. Anyone encounter the same? Or is it time to change a new one?😒

↡ Advertisement