2015 Forester 2.0

subarudreamer

3 hours ago, RogerNg_185295 said:

Can share with us what  u learn?

LOL.

Information like:

• Common issues:
    • Torque converter leaking (mine leaked at 90,000+km, claimed warranty MI).
    • Front lower arm bushing failure
    • Wheel bearings failure
    • Aircon condenser failure
    • Brake booster failure
  • Common discuss item:
    • FC
    • Solar film

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4
  • Shocked 1

On 11/22/2020 at 3:49 PM, robintay70 said:

Of late, i also start to hear this squeaking noise coming from driver seat. Will check out the seat belt joint. Thks!

Just want to check out another issue for my FXT which is about 4 yrs + with about 70k km mileage. Only installed a STI rear arb and changed tires to 235/55/18 GYA5 on stock rims.

As the months go by, I feel that the car has more cabin rattles and the shocks are not absorbing well when going uneven roads. It is getting worse as the days go by.  Not too sure if it is my old ass getting too sensitive or the shocks are going? I checked with my mechanic if my shocks are going. He checked it and said all looks fine and no leakage.

So i am wondering, if the shocks can be not functioning well without any leakage signs? Since the shocks are already 4yr+, is it time for a change? Has anyone changed their original shocks and the ride improved ? I saw a shop quoted replace original shocks for abt $780. So if any owners can share their experience with regards to shocks replacement, will be greatly appreciated!

Hi Robin,

Tein endura pro active which is adjustable at 1k from BKS Woodlands.

Your search for best compliant riding dampers ends there and only wish I had known earlier what I know now.

Cheers.

Richard

13 hours ago, Incom said:

LOL.

Information like:

• Common issues:
    • Torque converter leaking (mine leaked at 90,000+km, claimed warranty MI).
    • Front lower arm bushing failure
    • Wheel bearings failure
    • Aircon condenser failure
    • Brake booster failure
  • Common discuss item:
    • FC
    • Solar film

mine has all the problem you have listed except the 1st one, probably because only at 54k mileage. Wheel bearings failure more than once. The brake booster failure at the expressway almost kill me. Never has any issue with my previous mazda except aircon issue on the 8th years.

After 5 yrs of forester, due to safety issue (phobia whenever driving this car), i have decided to say goodbye to these ordeal. Will be collecting my new mazda again next week.

Edited by Lotr8445r

On 11/23/2020 at 5:51 PM, OnceInALifeTime said:

Can fit, but will suggest to stay stock sizing.

235/50/18 no problem. My 3rd set of tyre on this size on FXT stock rim.

1 hour ago, Lotr8445r said:

mine has all the problem you have listed except the 1st one, probably because only at 54k mileage. Wheel bearings failure more than once. The brake booster failure at the expressway almost kill me. Never has any issue with my previous mazda except aircon issue on the 8th years.

After 5 yrs of forester, due to safety issue (phobia whenever driving this car), i have decided to say goodbye to these ordeal. Will be collecting my new mazda again next week.

For my car, previous owner did all the servicing with MI. I have a body shop to help to assess any accident repair on the car. Went BKS to assess anything to repair after collecting the car.

BKS detected the torque converter leak and aircon piping seal leaks. Repair the aircon piping seal leaks at BKS, and went to MI to repair the torque converter leak.

Except for the brake booster, the rest of the items, the repairs has been done on the car. 

I am aware of the possible failure points of the car, can stomach the repairs and went ahead for the purchase.

Safety wise, except for the brakes which will take a longer distance to stop, which i got used to it.

49 minutes ago, shutterbox said:

Safe to fit 235/50R18 on stock fxt rim? 

Yes, as mention I am on 3rd set already. Current tyre Primacy 4. Already clock about 45k, will changing again when reach 50k. This time likely go for GY AS 5.

The higher profile 55 then cannot be used.

Edited by Tohto

1 hour ago, Tohto said:

Yes, as mention I am on 3rd set already. Current tyre Primacy 4. Already clock about 45k, will changing again when reach 50k. This time likely go for GY AS 5.

The higher profile 55 then cannot be used.

Any idea why higher profile 55 cannot be used?

Currently on Pirelli Scorpion Verde 235/55R18, planning to change to Michelin after the current set wear out.

Thanks

On 11/25/2020 at 10:34 PM, thefalcon said:

Yes, I also hear "Tick Tick" sound from the back of the driver seat. The sound getting more and more frequent. but when the car is stop and try to press on the seat, there will be no sound right?

yes....i also press the seat and no sound. Also now hearing some metal flexing sound also from around driver seat. Think metal fatigue since car approaching 5 yrs old.

On 11/25/2020 at 1:06 AM, richard_crl032 said:

Hi Robin,

Your search for best compliant riding dampers ends there and only wish I had known earlier what I know now.

Cheers.

Richard

Hi Richard, 

Thank you for the recommendation! Price not too far off from the oem shocks. Just had a look at tein website. Super interesting! Will give BKS a ring to check it out.

Regards,

Robin

• Praise 1

On 11/25/2020 at 1:06 AM, richard_crl032 said:

Hi Robin,

Cheers.

Richard

Hi Richard,

The Tein Endura Pro Plus (adjustable) at $1k is just for the shocks.

Any idea how much is the EDFC controller unit? I read from the website there are 2 versions, the EDFC Active and the EDFC Active Pro.

Thanks!

Regards,

Robin

On 11/28/2020 at 2:14 PM, robintay70 said:

Hi Richard,

The Tein Endura Pro Plus (adjustable) at $1k is just for the shocks.

Any idea how much is the EDFC controller unit? I read from the website there are 2 versions, the EDFC Active and the EDFC Active Pro.

Thanks!

Regards,

Robin

Hi Robin,

Efdc active is only with dynamic speed adjustment while pro version includes lateral and longitudinal sensor adjustment. 

Both can be fitted at ST Power with Active version at 1.8k which consists of 4 motors, extensions rods and 3 controllers, main one which connects wirelessly the ones in front and rear that control the 4 motors mounted on the adjustable endura active pro. I get mine from Japan and all fitted at BMS for 1.3k since even ST power reportedly offers no warranty but do call them to validate.

Please get pro version which will alleviates roll (longitudinal) when cornering that is an absolute joy on the highway in addition to less dipping and rearing up of front (lateral) when braking and accelerating. You can choose to activate/deactive these longitudinal and lateral adjustment as well as speed adjustment as you wish 😍😍.

On caveat though and while there is zero noise from the front perhaps due to my extensive soundproofing, the rear motor noise is very obvious as it is within our forester without separate rear boot ... hence shared photos of boxed motors and wrapped extension cords to somewhat acceptable noise level. Btw, it is the extension cords that radiates sound after boxed motors which probably can be excluded like the front motors without if you customise the rear boot board and cut your side plastic panel. I am not doing it .. yet ... since it is ok for me and I do play my music louder than norm.

Hope this helps further and pm me if you wish to try to understand it all and know how your butts feels ... to me, near conti thud thud when hitting gaps on highway and most compliant and quiet drive ever with this problematic ride forester imho .. finally.

Do start with the endura pro active 1st which is already adjustable to your preference and the edfc active pro when experienced it first hand .. you may not need edfc active pro which I cannot do without to have both 2 more sets of motors from japan to have 2 of the 8 boxed up as spares just in case and even for any new car that I may have to ensure dynamic suspension almost like those hiend merc S class or Audi A8  .. lol !

Cheers.

Richard

PS: I am on less stable pink springs but less harsh than the RSR springs that I removed

Edited by richard_crl032

46 minutes ago, spawn101 said:

thanks bro.

wish i have seen this earlier. change at shop in northpoint yishun. Cost me $25

Wow, they charge expensive. 

I bought the battery for $3 and watch YouTube and changed it myself. 

On 11/25/2020 at 9:43 AM, Incom said:

For my car, previous owner did all the servicing with MI. I have a body shop to help to assess any accident repair on the car. Went BKS to assess anything to repair after collecting the car.

BKS detected the torque converter leak and aircon piping seal leaks. Repair the aircon piping seal leaks at BKS, and went to MI to repair the torque converter leak.

Except for the brake booster, the rest of the items, the repairs has been done on the car. 

I am aware of the possible failure points of the car, can stomach the repairs and went ahead for the purchase.

Safety wise, except for the brakes which will take a longer distance to stop, which i got used to it.

There are so many better cars. Why a forester?

On 11/29/2020 at 2:04 PM, richard_crl032 said:

Hi Robin,

Efdc active is only with dynamic speed adjustment while pro version includes lateral and longitudinal sensor adjustment. 

Both can be fitted at ST Power with Active version at 1.8k which consists of 4 motors, extensions rods and 3 controllers, main one which connects wirelessly the ones in front and rear that control the 4 motors mounted on the adjustable endura active pro. I get mine from Japan and all fitted at BMS for 1.3k since even ST power reportedly offers no warranty but do call them to validate.

Please get pro version which will alleviates roll (longitudinal) when cornering that is an absolute joy on the highway in addition to less dipping and rearing up of front (lateral) when braking and accelerating. You can choose to activate/deactive these longitudinal and lateral adjustment as well as speed adjustment as you wish 😍😍.

On caveat though and while there is zero noise from the front perhaps due to my extensive soundproofing, the rear motor noise is very obvious as it is within our forester without separate rear boot ... hence shared photos of boxed motors and wrapped extension cords to somewhat acceptable noise level. Btw, it is the extension cords that radiates sound after boxed motors which probably can be excluded like the front motors without if you customise the rear boot board and cut your side plastic panel. I am not doing it .. yet ... since it is ok for me and I do play my music louder than norm.

Hope this helps further and pm me if you wish to try to understand it all and know how your butts feels ... to me, near conti thud thud when hitting gaps on highway and most compliant and quiet drive ever with this problematic ride forester imho .. finally.

Do start with the endura pro active 1st which is already adjustable to your preference and the edfc active pro when experienced it first hand .. you may not need edfc active pro which I cannot do without to have both 2 more sets of motors from japan to have 2 of the 8 boxed up as spares just in case and even for any new car that I may have to ensure dynamic suspension almost like those hiend merc S class or Audi A8  .. lol !

Cheers.

Richard

PS: I am on less stable pink springs but less harsh than the RSR springs that I removed

Richard, why did you change your Cusco Touring A dampers to the Tein ones?   Are the Tein ones a lot better?

On 11/30/2020 at 4:44 PM, RogerNg_185295 said:

There are so many better cars. Why a forester?

Why come here to pick a fight if you dont like the Forester?

People here like their Forester and its potential modding potential.

I dont criticise any make (who said Chinese cars are bad, ahem) and all cars have redeeming qualities.

If you like, you can always choose something else (go get the GLC now!) , but people paid for their Forester with their money and are willing to vouch for it, similarly for my case.

What would you suggest then?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3