2015 Forester 2.0

subarudreamer

On 12/10/2020 at 9:37 PM, Yippe said:

Hi PM you, got good deal from them , not sure if good to mention here.

Hi, can pm me too? Thank you..

↡ Advertisement

Many thanks to Richard and all the bros here for all the valuable insights n advices. 

I'm currently driving a fxt 17 stock. Read through all the pages of this forum regarding fxt. 

Planning to change suspension(usual reason of bouncy/harsh/no high speed stability) and missus complain of bumby and nosediving when braking. 

Understand its an suv etcetera...contemplating getting the tein EnduraPro plus. Question is do I change to sti pink springs or leave or stock n pros n cons of both. 

Also considering the hks iv gt coilovers or the bc br... Any reviews on these for the fxt? 

Reason for the coilovers is that when adding up pink springs + tein endura Pro = roughly same or more than the coilovers setups...

I'm looking for comfort with a reasonable amt of handling. (especially high speed--if n when msia reopens). 

Also in coilovers when it's dropped, a certain amt of handling automatically comes in so it's all abt the comfort either of these coilovers can give in comparison to the tein EnduraPro plus (with n w/o the pink springs) 

Appreciate your advice and reviews. Thanks 

P. S. My first post in mcf 🙂

• Praise 1

@richard_crl032

I have tried your friend's 'camo' car a while back ... Was good in handling but a slight tad 'rough'... Hence trying to see if there are alternatives without going too low. Never got to see/feel a tein with sti pink. Or Edfc. 

Reason for hks iv gt could have been influenced by Sarah-n-tuned YouTube(though she never reviewed the ride after the coilovers change). And the made in Japan tag n the reliability of the item as proclaimed. 

On 1/6/2021 at 8:24 PM, Nuclearforce said:

@richard_crl032

I have tried your friend's 'camo' car a while back ... Was good in handling but a slight tad 'rough'... Hence trying to see if there are alternatives without going too low. Never got to see/feel a tein with sti pink. Or Edfc. 

Reason for hks iv gt could have been influenced by Sarah-n-tuned YouTube(though she never reviewed the ride after the coilovers change). And the made in Japan tag n the reliability of the item as proclaimed. 

Hi Nuclear,

His is with RSR springs that I quit from and back to sti pink springs but he has harder bum than me and likes it.  His is also without edfc that would have allowed him to set to softer at low speed and tightens up at higher speed and wun feel 'rough' which I believe you experienced at lower speed .. the clear advantage of dynamic suspension capability regardless coilvers or dampers setup but have no doubt coilover will be more harsh.

Can always pm me to test mine with pink also with edfc.

Swift springs that I sold NIB is more stable than softer and more jittery pink springs and may be better but their new owner was softer sprung FNA that differs from our stiffer FXT .. he had tein coilovers that he gave up to go to tein endura pro plus dampers set up.

Cheers.

Richard

Edited by richard_crl032

3 reasons Subaru axed the Forester

There are three reasons Subaru Corporation discontinued the Forester 2.0XT. The brand is focusing on global fuel-economy standards, (fuel economy in the 2.0XT w/ CVT was 27/23 city/highway mpg compared with the Sport’s 33 mpg highway), slow XT sales and engineering costs.

Subaru Australia boss Colin Christie says, “Having only one engine and one drivetrain allows us to be very clear and very focused on what we are doing. The XT turbos are nice to have, but the reality is we were down to selling 70 or 80 a month so it has not been a massive seller for us. The manual transmission was only two percent of our Forester sales anyway, so it’s a lot of cost and engineering to cater for not a lot of people.”

Subaru Corp is streamlining the 2019 Forester lineup with one engine and one transmission. This will affect all global models as the 2.0XT, 2.0-liter turbo diesel engine and 6-speed manual gearbox are also being axed in European and Australian markets.

https://www.torquenews.com/1084/all-new-2019-subaru-forester-sport-vs-forester-20xt-comparison

1 hour ago, richard_crl032 said:

3 reasons Subaru axed the Forester

There are three reasons Subaru Corporation discontinued the Forester 2.0XT. The brand is focusing on global fuel-economy standards, (fuel economy in the 2.0XT w/ CVT was 27/23 city/highway mpg compared with the Sport’s 33 mpg highway), slow XT sales and engineering costs.

Subaru Australia boss Colin Christie says, “Having only one engine and one drivetrain allows us to be very clear and very focused on what we are doing. The XT turbos are nice to have, but the reality is we were down to selling 70 or 80 a month so it has not been a massive seller for us. The manual transmission was only two percent of our Forester sales anyway, so it’s a lot of cost and engineering to cater for not a lot of people.”

Subaru Corp is streamlining the 2019 Forester lineup with one engine and one transmission. This will affect all global models as the 2.0XT, 2.0-liter turbo diesel engine and 6-speed manual gearbox are also being axed in European and Australian markets.

https://www.torquenews.com/1084/all-new-2019-subaru-forester-sport-vs-forester-20xt-comparison

Does it mean the SJG XTs (assuming regularly maintained ones) are keepers? I guess it still depend on COE prices when renewing..

On 1/6/2021 at 8:17 PM, Nuclearforce said:

Many thanks to Richard and all the bros here for all the valuable insights n advices. 

I'm currently driving a fxt 17 stock. Read through all the pages of this forum regarding fxt. 

Planning to change suspension(usual reason of bouncy/harsh/no high speed stability) and missus complain of bumby and nosediving when braking. 

Understand its an suv etcetera...contemplating getting the tein EnduraPro plus. Question is do I change to sti pink springs or leave or stock n pros n cons of both. 

Also considering the hks iv gt coilovers or the bc br... Any reviews on these for the fxt? 

Reason for the coilovers is that when adding up pink springs + tein endura Pro = roughly same or more than the coilovers setups...

I'm looking for comfort with a reasonable amt of handling. (especially high speed--if n when msia reopens). 

Also in coilovers when it's dropped, a certain amt of handling automatically comes in so it's all abt the comfort either of these coilovers can give in comparison to the tein EnduraPro plus (with n w/o the pink springs) 

Appreciate your advice and reviews. Thanks 

P. S. My first post in mcf 🙂

ST power is out of stock for the Tein EnduraPro plus. I just checked with them yesterday.

9 hours ago, shutterbox said:

Does it mean the SJG XTs (assuming regularly maintained ones) are keepers? I guess it still depend on COE prices when renewing..

Hi Shutterbox,

Dunno man .. any car reaching 10 yrs of >200k+ km will need serious maintenance and a whole lot of proactively change to new parts to be trouble free else tow truck's bff.

For retiree of me in 7 yrs may be ok but I wun advise for daily ride to work and biz.

May not be vfm and ron98 may be sgd3/l by then .. get brand new hybrid then better than current camry 2.5 hybrid would be a good alternative.

Cheers.

Richard

On 1/6/2021 at 8:24 PM, Nuclearforce said:

@richard_crl032

Hi Nuclear,

Hope test ride of tein endura pro plus with edfc pro plus met your expectation of comfort and roadholding with dynamic suspension.

As shared, I would have started with them before trying to optimise to your further liking with arbs, struts etc. that are just passive and limited if budget allows .. you can spend more like what I did initially but with less returns.

Cheers.

Richard

wait for the Hyundai 1.6T hybrid for Tuscon or Kia Sorento to have similar power/acceleration but better fuel efficiency.

or new Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross with 2.4L PHEV.... but this 'new' car still having analog gauges WTH joke....

or for SH Forester Sport 1.8T with 300Nm... and EyeSight...

if want Subaru strong hybrid gonna wait till 2023...

Edited by Sarion
  • Praise 1

On 1/14/2021 at 2:04 AM, richard_crl032 said:

Hi Shutterbox,

Dunno man .. any car reaching 10 yrs of >200k+ km will need serious maintenance and a whole lot of proactively change to new parts to be trouble free else tow truck's bff.

For retiree of me in 7 yrs may be ok but I wun advise for daily ride to work and biz.

May not be vfm and ron98 may be sgd3/l by then .. get brand new hybrid then better than current camry 2.5 hybrid would be a good alternative.

Cheers.

Richard

In my case, I probably wun reach 100k by year 10 and my driving patterns aren't aggressive. Plus there's going to be a 2nd car in the household so if I keep the FXT, it's really going to be becos its a car of  value for money specs. 

Just need to see what the coe is by then 🤣

9 hours ago, shutterbox said:

In my case, I probably wun reach 100k by year 10 and my driving patterns aren't aggressive. Plus there's going to be a 2nd car in the household so if I keep the FXT, it's really going to be becos its a car of  value for money specs. 

Just need to see what the coe is by then 🤣

Hi Shutterbox,

Aaaah .... then likely we will see you fxt into 2nd coe cos not only coe  by then but our 17k omv aka scrap value is so low that it make sense for it since you will still have to pay coe then whether new or 10 yr old fxt 

Just to say 100km/10 yrs is not exactly vfm vs typical 200km/10 yrs .. lol !

Cheers.

Richard

• Haha! 1

Hi guys! Long time since i had last posted.

Past few months I've noticed a worrying issue on my 2017 FXT. Whenever the car has been driven for a while and the engine and drive train are hot, the car will almost always become sluggish to drive. Moving off from stationary, the acceleration will be like absent during the initial rpm until i press harder then it will accelerate albeit in a reluctant manner.

This happens in I or S mode, i seldom uses S#. My engine is not tuned, and i always use Esso 98 petrol and occasional Shell vpower. I would also notice the ignition advance multiplier (IAM) would drop, which indicates some engine knocking/pinging.

This only happens whenever car has been driven quite a while, especially during a trip with lots of starts & stops. On the other hand, if it's a 1hr trip to office, then evening time from office back to home in 1hr, then no such issue since car had ample time to cool down in between and the trip didn't involve starts & stops. Appears to be some heat soak issue to me but i can't pinpoint to anything specific. Not sure if any FXT owners here also experiencing similar issues?

From Googling, i found similar findings from USA Subie Forester forum:

https://www.subaruforester.org/threads/2016-mild-surging-feeling-under-light-acceleration.589266/unread 

Some suggested could be air leak at the turbo pressurised side as the hose clamps expand from the heated engine and components. So i checked my upgraded Breeze clamps and tighten all of them and still no improvement.

As of now i have no idea what is causing this and the issue is replicated consistently. No solutions in sight too. If you know anything i dont, pls give some good advice! Thanks in advance.

11 minutes ago, Orixy said:

Hi guys! Long time since i had last posted.

Past few months I've noticed a worrying issue on my 2017 FXT. Whenever the car has been driven for a while and the engine and drive train are hot, the car will almost always become sluggish to drive. Moving off from stationary, the acceleration will be like absent during the initial rpm until i press harder then it will accelerate albeit in a reluctant manner.

This happens in I or S mode, i seldom uses S#. My engine is not tuned, and i always use Esso 98 petrol and occasional Shell vpower. I would also notice the ignition advance multiplier (IAM) would drop, which indicates some engine knocking/pinging.

This only happens whenever car has been driven quite a while, especially during a trip with lots of starts & stops. On the other hand, if it's a 1hr trip to office, then evening time from office back to home in 1hr, then no such issue since car had ample time to cool down in between and the trip didn't involve starts & stops. Appears to be some heat soak issue to me but i can't pinpoint to anything specific. Not sure if any FXT owners here also experiencing similar issues?

From Googling, i found similar findings from USA Subie Forester forum:

https://www.subaruforester.org/threads/2016-mild-surging-feeling-under-light-acceleration.589266/unread 

Some suggested could be air leak at the turbo pressurised side as the hose clamps expand from the heated engine and components. So i checked my upgraded Breeze clamps and tighten all of them and still no improvement.

As of now i have no idea what is causing this and the issue is replicated consistently. No solutions in sight too. If you know anything i dont, pls give some good advice! Thanks in advance.

My brother 2016 Jan pre-facelift just had his throttle bottle replaced by MI late last year just before warranty expired. 

He mention his car got that engine check light on, before that happened. After send in to MI they said problem on throttle body.

He encounter sluggish drive for a few month before check light appear.

According to him, after the throttle body changed hus FXT drive feel smooth and power back to normal.

Not sure your case is it the same.

Edited by Tohto
  • Praise 1

2 minutes ago, Tohto said:

My brother 2016 Jan pre-facelift just had his throttle bottle replaced by MI late last year just before warranty expired. 

He mention his car got that engine check light on, before that happened. After send in to MI they said problem on throttle body.

He encounter sluggish drive for a few month before check light appear.

According to him, after the throttle body changed hus FXT drive feel smooth and power back to normal.

Not sure your case is it the same.

I also had my faulty throttle body replaced sometime in mid 2019, the fault code was P2119. I certainly hope it is not this relatively new throttle body causing the sluggish drive! There's also no way for me to verify if it's really the TB causing this issue... sigh...

Hi all... I am driving a 2017 Forester FNA... May I ask if anyone here got to replace their Wheel Bearings at a mileage of around 65,000km? I never had to replace the wheel bearings on  my previous ride before 100,000km...

As my ride is no longer under warranty, I brought it to an external workshop and was told that the noise from the car is due to the wheel bearings...

It would cost $400+ to replace, is this the market rate? Or do I have ground to email Subaru and see if they are willing to do it out of goodwill since wheel bearings usually last more than 100,000km based on my Google results?

Many Thks in advance and have a great 2021! 🙂

Edited by Sunshines11

On 1/17/2021 at 4:10 PM, Orixy said:

I also had my faulty throttle body replaced sometime in mid 2019, the fault code was P2119. I certainly hope it is not this relatively new throttle body causing the sluggish drive! There's also no way for me to verify if it's really the TB causing this issue... sigh...

Maybe you should get it check at a subbie workshop. One of the owners told me there is such an issue of power loss at low rpm for fxt after a certain mileage (I think is after 60k).

I have not encounter this before so don't quote me. But u might find a solution there. 

6 hours ago, Stratovarius said:

Maybe you should get it check at a subbie workshop. One of the owners told me there is such an issue of power loss at low rpm for fxt after a certain mileage (I think is after 60k).

I have not encounter this before so don't quote me. But u might find a solution there. 

Thanks. I'm close to 70k mileage now, so it fits the scenario you mentioned. Do you know what was the diagnosis of the power loss? I'll talk to BMS/BKS/DM for advice. 

↡ Advertisement